Rohingya are illegal migrants, not refugees: Thai Army Chief

webfact

As callous as it seems, it would appear that all countries are in favor of giving them food, water & medicine and sufficient fuel so they can return to where they came from, be that Myanmar or Bangladesh. It was mentioned on the news that some Myanmar migrants were telling UNHCR officials they were Rohingya refugees so they would qualify for aid assistance.

And now the Phillipines has announced the same will apply should any boats arrive in it's waters.

It is the correct thing to do as letting them in would send the message that any arrivals by boat will be taken care of. This would have 100,s of thousands turn up in days. This is simply not the solution.

As shown by Thailand and other countries ... assist and help them in a humanitarian way with food, water & all the essentials.

Next step would be to go after the smugglers and kill them. This will stop further boats coming and also assist those in need now.

or go after the buddhist monks who encourage their persecution.These are the people who should be ashamed of themselves pretending to represent a religion.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone yet had a chance to Google the Japanese model for "Genuine Refugees"? seems reasonable to me but then again I have seen the results of "Open Book" illegal queue jumpers in Australia.

As callous as it seems, it would appear that all countries are in favor of giving them food, water & medicine and sufficient fuel so they can return to where they came from, be that Myanmar or Bangladesh. It was mentioned on the news that some Myanmar migrants were telling UNHCR officials they were Rohingya refugees so they would qualify for aid assistance.

And now the Phillipines has announced the same will apply should any boats arrive in it's waters.

It is the correct thing to do as letting them in would send the message that any arrivals by boat will be taken care of. This would have 100,s of thousands turn up in days. This is simply not the solution.

As shown by Thailand and other countries ... assist and help them in a humanitarian way with food, water & all the essentials.

Next step would be to go after the smugglers and kill them. This will stop further boats coming and also assist those in need now.

Are you still a human being or are you a brainwashed completely dumbed down clown ???

From a humanitarian point of view, what I have suggested is the most practical & common sense way of dealing with the current situation.

What would you have happen .. ? let them all in .. ? Then you'd really have a mess.....

It is obvious that from all the comments I have read the majority by far agrees with what I mentioned, and that was care for them now, food , water , medicine & fuel and send them back and kill the traffickers.

What do you want ? I bet your suggesting thailand take them .... !! a foolish choice for sure. imo.

There is no answer to this almost world wide problem.Yes humanity says they must be let in and taken care of,this would be the christian,buddhist thing to do.But at a price that destabilises the local population?and makes matters worse.Its a fact world wide that when a country has too many aliens within its borders the social fabric of that country can break down.

The logical answer would be to return migrants fleeing from terror or economic meltdown and sort out the govt. of the country they are fleeing from.

Wikipedia has some great details about the Rohingya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_people

Apparently the Rohingya are callous opportunists according to my wife, a Thai National and retired school teacher who studied the history. Nobody wants them ... nobody ... for this reason alone.

Generally speaking, they are not peacful Muslims, not at all. In many 'official' camps, both here in Malaysia and in Thailand, they do little more than eat, defecate and reproduce without offering a single ounce of gratitude or self-help, and even demand pensions.

However, their history probably deserves a more serious review to get to the heart of the matter of their displacement. Nevertheless, the fact is, as state above.

Obviously, human traffickers will exploit such unfortunate outcasts.

They are illegal immigrants unless they apply for asylum for reasons of persecution. That is the way it works everywhere .... The UK ... the EU ... the USA ... everywhere.

Though I sympathize with their plight, I understand the reluctance of a non Muslim country to bring in Muslim immigrants. The behavior of Muslim minorities in the Philippines, Bali, Europe, the USA, the UK, Australia (need I go on?) lean towards violence and extremism inside the host country.

The social contract we make if we are an expat or immigrant is to abide by the laws of the land and respect the social and cultural norms of the host country. Not all Muslims, but fundamentalist Muslims believe Islam and Sharia supersede the laws and social norms of the country they choose to live in. Furthermore, this is encouraged and funded by Islamist in other Islamic countries.

one of the most sensible posts I've seen on the subject so far ( and mine ) .... totally agree .....

Oh why, oh why can't all the liberal do-gooder w*nk*** in the EU think like this.... Illegal immigrant has now become "migrant"

The majority being young men unable to apply for migration due to lack of funds, qualifications of language ability. Send them home... Surely trying to bypass correct procedure and application is a crime..

Or maybe I should paddle a canoe to Monaco who's standard of living is higher than what I'm used to.. Figure they will grant me asylum ?

You have clearly read widely and thought deeply about the plight of the Rohingya.Your insight and compassion are deeply moving.You have also touched on a point that the woolly minded liberals often forget, namely that the Rohingya are but one of several ethnic groups that form part of the Myanmar nation, and thus respected and cherished by all their fellow countrymen.After all it's not as though they are subject to the kind of treatment that would make them think about seeking asylum elsewhere.Unlike the gullible Indonesian and Malaysian governments, our wise Thai leaders understand that the very few Rohingya found in Thai waters are in fact on a cruising holiday with a schedule of resort stopovers that doesn't happen to include any ports in Thailand.Sometimes slight navigational errors are made and the Royal Thai Navy is happy to provide these high end tourists with a helpful push out to sea again.

This really made me laugh!

Thank you, sir!

Well done and well said! wai.gif

Why do humans keep having children when they cannot feed themselves, this problem goes very deep , religion, culture , politics , financial education, At some point it needs to be fixed in the country s of origin.

As an Ex-Pat, if you dont like Thailands policy your free to hope on a boat and leave.

As a member of the human race I don't like how other members behave, where do I go?

isn't someone sponsoring a one-way trip to a new colony on mars? whistling.gif

Many men, women and children may die while trying to escape persecution. Thailand and other nations in se Asia should be ashamed of themselves.

then why dont they go to a muslim islamic country ( malaysia ) and not a buddist country, all you liberalist fools are aware that wherever muslims go they spread only hatred and try to impliment their laws and ways on other cultures , when they have the majority we will all be done. these people started the trouble in burma and created the trouble for themselves , good on the burmese bhuddist people for not tolerating it ( wish we were same in europe ) .

Many men, women and children may die while trying to escape persecution. Thailand and other nations in se Asia should be ashamed of themselves.

then why dont they go to a muslim islamic country ( malaysia ) and not a buddist country, all you liberalist fools are aware that wherever muslims go they spread only hatred and try to impliment their laws and ways on other cultures , when they have the majority we will all be done. these people started the trouble in burma and created the trouble for themselves , good on the burmese bhuddist people for not tolerating it ( wish we were same in europe ) .

Nonsense.

For all those T.V armchair experts who jump blindly blaming Thailand for this, IT IS a problem that needs Burma to take responsibility for. As much as it is a human disaster and absolutely atrocious, one cannot put the blame squarely on Thailand for refusing to accept them. Thailand has already hundreds of thousand of Burmese people, some of them Rohingyas living in the Kingdom. My maid is a Burmese and she has a decent life, proper papers and a the protection. She is grateful for the Kingdom for her lifestyle that she has.

Look at Australia who has also declined to accept them and will turn them back. Why not then blame Australia also. Frankly, as sad as it is, blaming any country or nation for this, while Burma quietly sits there, shows pure ignorance...

Where dose it all ends? you have those tens of thousands who migrated or tried to migrate to Australia

over the last 10 years, you have the hundred of thousands north African who swarm over Italy

and countries near by, and now this Rohinga problems that are really the responsibilities of the

Burmese government,

if the world will leave the gates open, all of Africa and many third world countries will want to migrate

to a rich, first world countries.. where dose it stop or end???

careful youl be accused of being a heartless bigoted racist..but some on here would be screaming blue murder if they turned up on there countries doorstep..why dont they walk to laos..thats got to be a bit closer

For all those T.V armchair experts who jump blindly blaming Thailand for this, IT IS a problem that needs Burma to take responsibility for. As much as it is a human disaster and absolutely atrocious, one cannot put the blame squarely on Thailand for refusing to accept them. Thailand has already hundreds of thousand of Burmese people, some of them Rohingyas living in the Kingdom. My maid is a Burmese and she has a decent life, proper papers and a the protection. She is grateful for the Kingdom for her lifestyle that she has.

Look at Australia who has also declined to accept them and will turn them back. Why not then blame Australia also. Frankly, as sad as it is, blaming any country or nation for this, while Burma quietly sits there, shows pure ignorance...

That is a fair comment, but you need to acknowledge that Thailand started to take advantage of the situation and profited from it. Read the 2013 Reuters report. If they had at that point said, "Hey, this is wrong", that message would have gotten up to Burma and it would have stemmed the flow to some degree. All the countries involved need to pony up and solve this once and for all.

Abroad living Thai, enjoying a "humane" life, great comforts freedom and equality, away from tyranny, racism and extreme violence, are just freeloaders and spongers and will be sent back home to their holy dom. They must live their life on turf which they love and defend so much as what it is!

Not "may", will.

Otherwise you are perfectly correct.

They are illegal immigrants unless they apply for asylum for reasons of persecution. That is the way it works everywhere .... The UK ... the EU ... the USA ... everywhere.

Though I sympathize with their plight, I understand the reluctance of a non Muslim country to bring in Muslim immigrants. The behavior of Muslim minorities in the Philippines, Bali, Europe, the USA, the UK, Australia (need I go on?) lean towards violence and extremism inside the host country.

The social contract we make if we are an expat or immigrant is to abide by the laws of the land and respect the social and cultural norms of the host country. Not all Muslims, but fundamentalist Muslims believe Islam and Sharia supersede the laws and social norms of the country they choose to live in. Furthermore, this is encouraged and funded by Islamist in other Islamic countries.

Exactly the good General is a brave man who is putting the rights & interests of his countrymen first before those of unwanted illegal immigrants.

Muslims belong in Muslim countries and should be forwarded to Malaysia & Indonesia.

As an Ex-Pat, if you dont like Thailands policy your free to hope on a boat and leave.

As a member of the human race I don't like how other members behave, where do I go?

We will remember your request and send all Thai back home where they belong, especially after next time they open their mouth and ACTUALLY COMPLAIN to overseas authorities, if they can't suck up all benefits by themselves! Rotten Bast tarts!

BTW, what do you mean with "hope on a boat and leave"? Communicate in Thai if you can't handle another language.

Edited by Harleys

Finally, a chance for the "We have the solution for everything holier than thou mighty Farang!!" ... to walk the walk!

May I kindly inquire why I am not seeing a single suggestion that they are picked up and transported to ... your country of origin?

Oh my, it must be such a luxury to be far outside the range of the tiny boats out on that wide ocean.
It must be so easy to just "call and raise" .. when no one will ever ask to see YOUR cards.

Funny though, get one of you in a pub, and ask about the immigrants in your countries, and you wanna "Nuke em' all"

I do not endorse what is happening. i am not in favor of women and children suffering this way. I do not know the solution.

Oh, wait .. I DO know the solution.

Send the American, British and Australian navies to find, rescue and send these people to the USA, UK and Oz.

What's that? Not a good idea?

Exactly the good General is a brave man who is putting the rights & interests of his countrymen first before those of unwanted illegal immigrants.

Muslims belong in Muslim countries and should be forwarded to Malaysia & Indonesia.

Lets hope your warped logic isn't applied to all faiths and non faiths.

Finally, a chance for the "We have the solution for everything holier than thou mighty Farang!!" ... to walk the walk!

May I kindly inquire why I am not seeing a single suggestion that they are picked up and transported to ... your country of origin?

Oh my, it must be such a luxury to be far outside the range of the tiny boats out on that wide ocean.

It must be so easy to just "call and raise" .. when no one will ever ask to see YOUR cards.

Funny though, get one of you in a pub, and ask about the immigrants in your countries, and you wanna "Nuke em' all"

I do not endorse what is happening. i am not in favor of women and children suffering this way. I do not know the solution.

Send the American, British and Australian navies to find, rescue and send these people to the USA, UK and Oz.

Fine by me. Do they want to go there?

no not a good idea..we got enough already thanks..got plenty going to the uk already poncing off us taxpayers but thanks for asking ..

one of the most sensible posts I've seen on the subject so far ( and mine ) .... totally agree .....

Your ignorant racism demonstrates your intellectual powers, especially in the light that The Philippines have announced that they will take them for humanitarian reasons...........

Pushing people out to sea in unseaworthy vessels or denying people assistance when they are in distress is a crime with a capital F and it is astonishing that there are people here who try to defend it.

With some of the views expressed here, it's not surprising that violence begets violence.

Just to sidetrack a little, but did anyone get the same laugh I got at the pix and caption in the OP? (The navy equivalent of the Keystone Cops, in a dinghy with a little outboard patrolling thousands of square km of ocean)

Yes, it looks pathetic and I had a nice hot Cappucino and a good chuckle over that pic smile.png

Edited by catweazle

Does that include the predominantly Muslim Phuket and Krabi? Do they all have to be sent to countries away from where they were born and where they have never been or wanted to go? Do Christians belong only in Christian countries too?

There is no answer to this almost world wide problem.Yes humanity says they must be let in and taken care of,this would be the christian,buddhist thing to do.But at a price that destabilises the local population?and makes matters worse.Its a fact world wide that when a country has too many aliens within its borders the social fabric of that country can break down.

The logical answer would be to return migrants fleeing from terror or economic meltdown and sort out the govt. of the country they are fleeing from.

And what's the "social fabric" of Thailand anyway?

Alcohol, prostitution, drugs, rape, cold blooded murder, racism, hypocrisy, ravage, rage, corruption, tyranny, coups ...?

Certainly enough reason to hold on to it and defend it with another bullet.

I wait for Thailand to fall into genocide mode and then we will remeber, once again. Before that, we will remember what to do when the next disaster strucks them and they come crying and begging. We will just turn our heads! Trust this!

This country gets sicker by the hour. Their home grown cancer is far to advanced.

Edited by Harleys