Immigration Confirms The End Of Border Runs From Oct 1, 2006

george

I was one of the people who did border runs. I travelled around Thailand for 10 months twice. I spent over $25,000 in that time. If these rules had been in place i would have spent a fraction of that amount in Thailand. I really can not understand this rule. What benifits will it have. I mean how much work are farangs really taking from Thais. A few bars in Pattaya and Samui and alll the dive operations that will now be screwed without the farang dive instructors. This is another hair brained idiot law that has been introduced for no reason.

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be against the law to chew gum next! I am offshore working outside of Thailand going home (Thailand) 6th of Oct. I have 3 30 day chops in my passport already. A wife and 3 kids waiting for me to come home. All my documents for applying for a visa are at my home in LOS. This is going to be real convenient. What a load of ****!!! Maybe I'll just pack up the wifey and kids and go back to Falangland. I wish they would have done this in the springtime.

I'm ready to beam you up and out. You have a THAI wife and kids? If that is so, then why didn't you just do the 1 year extension to a proper non-immigrant visa for supporting your wife and kids?

If you are outside the country, get off your lazy ass and visit a Thai Embassy to get the proper visa.

Jesus.

"Lazy Ass" Did you not read the part about WORKING!!! I would and have done several times. Some of us lazy asses are to busy working and and raising our children to run off and get visa's. Especially when you have the option to get a tourist visa. Thanks for your insightfull and helpfull coment though.

Heard of mail? Fedex? No excuse - go visit an embassy or send your passport to one.

Have you not got better things to do then antagonise people who are trying to work through a crisis

To me, it is sheer madness to be working illegally in another country, and have wife and kids in same, risking all for the sake of a little convenience. If your employer cannot or will not provide you with the correct documentation for visas, then you must form your own company, do your own visas and work permit etc. I spent my first months here working for a company that promised visa, work permit etc. and of course never came through. I will never again trust my own legal status with someone who has no investment in it. If I go to jail, they simply find a replacement for the foriegn "criminal" who used to work for them. No thanks. I'll buck up, pay my fees, file my taxes and be left alone please.

1. He says he is working offshore and that could be offshore anywhere. Doesnt have to be Thailand. Is even unlikely as there is much more business elsewhere.

2. As you never know when/where you go you cannot send passports off as sure when you have done it you may have to go elsewhere...

Same going through that application, if married and not just aq girlfriend like most of use.

3. Personally I would check with an immigration office, not the one where you might want to apply and find out what you really need to do it with a visum, to make it into a Yearvisum and not loose passport during the application period or have it cancelled to start all over again!!

Also if your work is in Thailand if near Malaysia no way to go via Malaysia as then you have a one month Malaysia stamp....

Its easy for others to say get a proper Visa or push off, but for some of us, like some of the guys mentioned previously, we do have a problem getting a one year Visa.

1. Personally, I work in the Caspian Sea on a platform on a 6/2 rota.

2. We don't have access to a Thai Embassy or Consulate to apply for a Non Imm O Visa.

3. It is not advisable (and illegal) to FEDEX your passport out of the country to another Embassy.

Yes I could go back to the UK to get a Non Imm O visa and not see my (Thai) wife and children for nearly 4 months.

I did speak to an immigration officer previously before this news broke and was informed that even if I did get an Non Imm O Visa I had to stay in Thailand for 90 days before I could apply for a 9 month extension to make it a one year Visa. I can't see my company paying me to sit on the beach while I wait for the extension.

If the problem is only consective back to back Visas, I guess myself and others in a similar position should still be ok. If it is 3 Visa stamps within a certain time period and then a break of 90 days, then we could be on a sticky wicket.

It would be a shame if we did have to pull up stumps and look elsewhere to live as I know that myself and my colleagues are not bums abusing the Thai people, but geniue hard working guys who do contribute to the Thai Society that we live within.

You do not need to wait 3 months on the beach before applying for your extension. Gte a re-entry permit, re-enter before the end of your first 90 days and apply.

I wonder what impact this will have on money flowing into Thailand. I am guess it won't be positive. Which in turn will cause the baht to loose ground against many other foreign currencies.

This doesn't bother me too much because my money is imported anyway.

I do understand the plight of all the border runners. From the way I read it, after 90 days (which would be 2 visa extensions) they have to stay out of the country for at least 90 days before they can return again.

I think many will not return after thoes 90 days in another country.

I think this will hurt Thailand more than help it.

I wonder how many teachers this will cause problems for?

Good one immigration, you have just screwed Thailand out of a serious amount of money.

Idiots.

... guess, they've figured there isn't much money in 30-day-visa-runners ... wonder why it took them so long ...

Sure, these people don't eat and don't sleep....

- Travellers get a 30 day on arrival or a real visa either back home or at their first exit, they are good for at least a year - OK

Good for a year? on what visa?

Although this new change doesn't apply to me, I'm sure other members here would love to know what visa you get to stay as tourist for a year..

I think people here are very quick to dismiss the amount of income that long term tourists bring to Thailand. This is indeed a bad move on the part of the Thai government, those who think otherwise seem to think working in Thailand makes you some sort of higher class... Don't write off the long term tourist visa farang just becasue they don't have to work for 30k a month teaching English.

Time will tell exactly what happens, my prediction is that this will casue a ripple effect... no more long term tourists, higher price condos will lose tenants, Thais will default on loans, etc etc Not to mention the diving instructors down south who can't even seem to get non-immigrant visas, with 90% of the dive industry based around farang instructors.. that industry will now be almost history.

Those of you who think this is a good move, I challenge you to think beyond the scope of your own existance, just because you are over 50, married, etc etc, does not mean everybody else is.

If the "farang divers" guys are so important to the industry why don`t your employers provide you with work permits. Or alternatively, If you have your own company you should be safe already. It`s black and white.

It`s the same with teachers who are working in Thailand without work permits. You know and I know you are working illegally. And as far as I am concerned good luck to you because I am probably working illegally on my rubber farm. The thing is, many people have been able to work illegally for many years now. And probably will still be able to work illegally in the future. It`s still a bit early to say how things will pan out in the long run because as we all know the immigration guys can and do use a lot of discression. And going on a visa run can be different from the previous run.

I.e., some people get visa A, some don`t. Some people get visa B, some don`t.

But at the end of the day you cannot knock them for trying to stop illegal immigrants from working or people on tourist visas from working also. It`s their law and we have to abide by it.

Most people who come here are probably eligible for a 6 month tourist visa at least. I would imagine that when it`s finished you could then go do a visa run get another 3 x 30 days giving you 9 months in total. There are not many countries in the world that allow you to stay as a tourist for that length of time.

We`ve been lucky so far. It was only a matter of time before it all went tits up as far as the 30 day visas were concerned.

Oh and we all pay VAT so everybody in Thailand pays some tax. Infact since most of these foreigns don't use the schools system or public hospitals or other services, they might even contribute MORE than many Thais.

The other thing that is annoying is how people say that Thais can do whatever they want. Well of course they can, but that doesn’t mean a majority would support this. There are a lot of Thai who wouldn’t

Tourists are entitled to get VAT refunded at the airport for things that can be shown to customs and purchased at places with VAT refund scheme. As a result, most non hotel/F&B expenditure is VAT refundable.

If you are going to try to build a case that tourists are accounting for a large share of revenue to the country, that is fair enough. However first you will need to define:

- total tourism spending 100%

- how much of this is from people for whom this new enforcement will have an impact (my guess is less than 1%, but I could be swayed if you can show me otherwise)

- how much will be lost directly in tourism dollars as a result

This is very simplistic, and ignores the 'leakage' of tourism dollars overseas, since so many of the hotels/resorts aren't Thai and that money flows back to where it came from.

Then there is the other losses

- how much will be lost in productivity from fewer english teachers etc

- how much will be lost in previously illegal businesses that generated tourism dollars

Against this are the benefits:

- revenue from tax paying legal businesses gaining business previously lost (as per the dive shop example)

- revenue from work permit applications etc and tax from legally registered employees

If you want to have a shot at it, be my guest.

I don't do opinion polls, but I think you'll find that most of BKK would be strongly in favour of this sort of enforcement; not everyone wants their country to be 'loser central'.

If you're doing business here, you can get non-immigrant B visa. This ruling should have no affect on people coming on genuine business trips. All you need is a letter from one of your suppliers to submit with your visa application.

You must live in dreamworld. Of course it will have an effect, if you are a businessman and need to hop over for a few meetings which will take you a day or two, you will not go to the circus of getting a business visa, (but the authorities are stupid enough to make arrests in the lobbies of big hotels, arguing that such location is not mentioned in a workpermit.) So all these people planning to have a handful of meetings at the most would go to countries like singapore or Indonesia.

You are technically right, but you must be a lover of red tape. Most business people are not, so they will not spend their money on that beautiful Thai millionairs card from which we do not hear anything anymore, they take a 5 star hotel in a country where common sense prevails.

The whole point seems to be to reduce the number of long stayers who might be working (and probably not paying tax) without the correct visas.

Surely they should be reinforcing the labour laws not the immigration rules.

Or is that a dumb idea?

I have all the correct paperwork and pay my taxes before you ask.

I would consider the source of this report as not reliable.

Well it's on Page 3 of yesterday's Bangkok Post, and makes direct quotes from Immigration police Bureau Commissioner Suwat Tomrongsiskul, and Head of Pattaya Immigration, Pol Col Ittipol Ittisarnronnachai.

On what basis do you surmise that the report is not reliable? :o

It seems strange that there is no information about this on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website nor the Nation website and the link to the Bangkok Post article is dead (as usual) so is it just possible that Khun Suwat Thamrongsrisakul has acted "Ultra Vires" ? Would it not be the norm to get such a "Law" aproved by His Majesty and the whole thing be reported in "Gazette"?

If the "farang divers" guys are so important to the industry why don`t your employers provide you with work permits. Or alternatively, If you have your own company you should be safe already. It`s black and white.

It`s the same with teachers who are working in Thailand without work permits. You know and I know you are working illegally. And as far as I am concerned good luck to you because I am probably working illegally on my rubber farm. The thing is, many people have been able to work illegally for many years now. And probably will still be able to work illegally in the future. It`s still a bit early to say how things will pan out in the long run because as we all know the immigration guys can and do use a lot of discression. And going on a visa run can be different from the previous run.

I.e., some people get visa A, some don`t. Some people get visa B, some don`t.

But at the end of the day you cannot knock them for trying to stop illegal immigrants from working or people on tourist visas from working also. It`s their law and we have to abide by it.

Most people who come here are probably eligible for a 6 month tourist visa at least. I would imagine that when it`s finished you could then go do a visa run get another 3 x 30 days giving you 9 months in total. There are not many countries in the world that allow you to stay as a tourist for that length of time.

We`ve been lucky so far. It was only a matter of time before it all went tits up as far as the 30 day visas were concerned.

No this doesnt apply to me, I hold two passports (Thai/NZ). The interest I have in the dive industry is becasue a tour company I own markets package dive tours around the world. Although we do not send customers to illegal instructors etc, the industry as a whole will still suffer.

In an ideal world everybody would have work permits, but the reality is that many people here don't. Just becasue they "should" have one does not mean this won't hurt many industries.

VISA ON ARRIVAL

- According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements, passport holders from 20 countries may apply for visas at the immigration checkpoints for the purpose of tourism for the period of not exceeding 15 days.

- The applicant must possess means of living expenses at the amount of 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.

- The applicant must present full paid ticket which is usable within 15 days since the date of entry

- Visa on arrival is provided at 23 designated international checkpoints and applicants should submit the application form duly filled out and to which his/her recent photograph (2 ½ inches) is attached. The application fee is 1,000 Baht.

- Visitors who enter the Kingdom with Visa on Arrival generally cannot file an application for extension of stay except in special cases such as illness which prevents them from travelling, etc. They can submit an application at the Office of Immigration Bureau , Immigration Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 02 287-3127 or 02 287-3101-10 ext. 2264-5 or at website http://www.immigration.go.th

The operative word here is tourism. It makes sense that a "tourist" should not mean a tourist in perpetuity. Agree? For people like me who are here not on a tourist visa but on a non-immigrant O or B visa, this should be a non-event.

I'm curious about one thing. When I arrived, they gave me a departure card. I have no intention of using it, and didn't fill it in. No one say "boo" about my not filling it in, I guess they assume I'm here for the long haul if I come on a non-immigrant O visa. What do the guys who have been doing visa runs for years do? Do they keep a ticket with them all the time, or is it not even asked for?

They are just trying to gt rid of the people that abuse the system,good riddance.Better for me! :o:D:D

I said it's aimed at avoiding a Karr incident. Holistically, it's obviously an attempt to clean up the lingerers and generally upgrade the quality of visitors to and foreign residents of Thailand.

If you can't see how that would improve Thailand and its image as a respectable visitor destination, I'm afraid it's beyong my powers of influence to convince you.

You implied that you thought it would avoid another Karr incident and had these rules been in place Karr would have still happend (so you are wrong just admit it).

You love to look down on the people that are on khao san road but can't you can't explain to any of us how they hurt Thailand, when infact they give money in small business owners as opposed to foreign businesses. If it is so obvious how they hurt Thailand it should be very easy for you to explain why.

No I don't see how getting rid of these people will some how make more rich people come here? The crowds don't mix anyway. The wealthy stay at the Peninsula and luxury resorts in

Phuket. They are not on Khao san buying banana shakes from vendors.

If you're doing business here, you can get non-immigrant B visa. This ruling should have no affect on people coming on genuine business trips. All you need is a letter from one of your suppliers to submit with your visa application.

You must live in dreamworld. Of course it will have an effect, if you are a businessman and need to hop over for a few meetings which will take you a day or two, you will not go to the circus of getting a business visa, (but the authorities are stupid enough to make arrests in the lobbies of big hotels, arguing that such location is not mentioned in a workpermit.) So all these people planning to have a handful of meetings at the most would go to countries like singapore or Indonesia.

You are technically right, but you must be a lover of red tape. Most business people are not, so they will not spend their money on that beautiful Thai millionairs card from which we do not hear anything anymore, they take a 5 star hotel in a country where common sense prevails.

Don`t confuse business people with tourists. They have an army of secrataries doing all the visa stuff for them.

And do you honestly think that there will not be dispensations for people who are coming here on legitimate business? :o

There seems to be a great deal of this being a justified change due to the tax (not)being paid...

You may recall one of Thuksins election promises was to write off income tax for the year. Given that, I really don't think tax was taken into account when this idea was spawned.

You can taste the hysteria. I am waiting on something official before getting to excited. I am one of those that fall between the cracks of this latest fiasco in the works. I work elsewhere and I am in and out of LOS. I will stay an average of 60 days at a time. but if I am only allowed to be here 90 days a year that sux. I love this place I think highly of the Thai people and alway's look forward to getting back after finishing my work. I have no desire to go someplace else. I would ask the officials in charge to take a look at the big picture and ease into something like this as it will chase off more legitimate people; The people that spend money and not the shady ones that live on the fringe. :o

Sheer nonsense.

If you are only popping over for a few days this ruling has no effect, and you come in as a tourist, do your business and go. Nobody knows or cares.

If you want to stay for an extended period, or keep making return visits, (and if you didn't you wouldn't be posting complaints about unable to stay on this thread), then certainly in the UK you can get multiple non-immigrant business visas by return of mail. I've done tourist and business visas this way many times. Sent my passport on Monday with the form and cheque, passport returned by Thursday with visa. Now that wasn't too much red tape for someone plannning a extensive business trips to Thailand, was it?

yes.

you're right, lingyai, and I'm wrong.

I apologise.

Thailand needs these people.

Now, excuse me, but i'm off to catch the Poipet express while i still can.

:o

that was actually pretty funny.

I was a bit sharp with my reply before, but you were being an ass to other people in some of your posts (IMHO or not so humble...).

I really would like to know how this move helps Thailand?

I am not one of those who thinks that Thailand will fall apart because of this, of course not, but I do think there needs to be better rules and more visa options because it would help Thailand overall. Some might not think so but I don't see how this crackdown, without other options being made available, helps the country more than it hurts. I do see how some Thai business, mostly small business, will be really hurt. I feel bad for some farang caught up by this and the Thais also.

Edited by lingyai

The message is clear

FARANG GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And take all the money you bring into Thailand with you!

If you can prove that the number this affects is any more than about 1% of total tourist arrivals (let's say 150,000 people) and that none of these people have the ability to do anything about it and get another type of visa, then you are onto something. Especially if there are some heavyweight biz types in that list e.g. Bill Heneicke or the like. Well, obviously not Bill as he is a Thai citizen but you get my drift. For the majority of tourists many of whom are not farangs, this has ZERO impact on their lives.

I DO hope they come out with clear guidelines, and that the whole getting a VISA prior to arriving here and extending it as most countries in the world do is the way it proceeds. That's fair for everyone.

But the intent is a step in the right direction.

meemiaThai, please prepare some cheese, as there seems to be ample whine in these parts already :o

Edited by steveromagnino

Go to the embassy of Pakistan and you will get exactly the same visa as your country gives to the poeple of Pakistan.

It's about time the British, American French and all the other 41 countries offer the same Visa to Thais as Thailand gives members of those countries.

Sure, a Visa for the Uk to a Thai is 30,000 or so but lasts 6 months get married within that time Thais recieve income support, Jobs can buy land and be a good (usually girl) person for 3 years et voila a passport that will get you around the world with ease (unless you want to live in Thailand) or Iraq!

If you can prove that the number this affects is any more than about 1% of total tourist arrivals (let's say 150,000 people) and that none of these people have the ability to do anything about it and get another type of visa, then you are onto something. Especially if there are some heavyweight biz types in that list e.g. Bill Heneicke or the like. Well, obviously not Bill as he is a Thai citizen but you get my drift. For the majority of tourists many of whom are not farangs, this has ZERO impact on their lives.

I DO hope they come out with clear guidelines, and that the whole getting a VISA prior to arriving here and extending it as most countries in the world do is the way it proceeds. That's fair for everyone.

meemiaThai, please prepare some cheese, as there seems to be ample whine in these parts already :o

Where are you getting your figures from? You have already stated that you deal with only the high end tourist market, how this qualifies you to come up with facts and figures with regard to the affected group, is beyond me.

Immigration confirms the end of border runs from October 1, 2006

Thailand tightens visa rules for tourists to cut illegal workers

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will tighten entry regulations for tourists in a bid to crack down on illegal foreign workers, the Immigration Bureau said.

The move, which takes effect October 1, would affect tourists from 41 countries including Australia, the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the US, said Suwat Thamrongsrisakul, the head of the bureau.

Currently, tourists from 41 countries can enter Thailand without visas and stay in the kingdom for up to 30 days.

They can extend their stay by checking out of the country, mainly by crossing the borders of neighboring Cambodia and Laos, and returning with new entry stamps.

'Under the current rules, people from those countries can stay in Thailand as long as they want. Some even stay here for one year,' another bureau official said.

The bureau had learned that a growing number of foreigners from the 41 countries worked illegally in Thailand, Suwat said, adding many were employed in bars and restaurants in the popular seaside resort of Pattaya, east of Bangkok.

'Tourists are taking advantage of the visa exemption law. Instead of sightseeing, they are doing business here,' Suwat said.

From October, tourists from the designated countries can still enter Thailand without visas and stay for up to 30 days, but their entry stamps will be renewable twice at most for a maximum stay of 90 days.

Tourists who stayed for 90 days must leave the kingdom for at least 90 days before being permitted to re-enter Thailand, Suwat said.

--forbes.com 2006-09-10

I would consider the source of this report as not reliable.

Well it's on Page 3 of yesterday's Bangkok Post, and makes direct quotes from Immigration police Bureau Commissioner Suwat Tomrongsiskul, and Head of Pattaya Immigration, Pol Col Ittipol Ittisarnronnachai.

On what basis do you surmise that the report is not reliable? :o

Could not link to BKK Post articleas link is dead.

And the topic refer to forbes.com. :D

yes.

you're right, lingyai, and I'm wrong.

I apologise.

Thailand needs these people.

Now, excuse me, but i'm off to catch the Poipet express while i still can.

:o

that was actually pretty funny.

I was a bit sharp with my reply before, but you were being an ass to other people in some of your posts (IMHO or not so humble...).

I really would like to know how this move helps Thailand?

I think Stevemarigno's posts express it much better than i can. This effects a minority of farangs living here, and an even bigger minority of people visiting as tourists. I would hazard an (uneducated guess) and suggest that those minority are generally at the lower end of the spending spectrum. Sadly, some good people will have to rethink their strategy to stay, but if it gets rid of the dodgy minority, then it has to be a good thing.

I linked it with Karr because Thailand's reputation has suffered another blow as a result of the media around this. Every paper and tv program in the US talks now of Thailand as a sex destination or a haven for kiddie fiddlers.

I'm convinced this move was kicked off by the publicity surrounding the Karr debacle, and that it's an attempt (albeit a heavy handed one), to give the impression it is looking to get more rigorous on immigration. And that can only be good for Thailand's reputation.

Financially, i dont know. But stevemarigno (a thai / farang businessman) seems to think it will have no impact at all, except at a micro-level.

I dunno. I'm no expert

meemiaThai, please prepare some cheese, as there seems to be ample whine in these parts already :D

Where are you getting your figures from? You have already stated that you deal with only the high end tourist market, how this qualifies you to come up with facts and figures with regard to the affected group, is beyond me.

sure ,,,, it is all good ...

unlss of course you own a business dealing with tourists :o Should be interesting to see if this 'new rule' stays en force what it will do to the smaller Thai owned businesses that make their money with the lower end tourist market that stay a long time!

I was talking to a guy in Patong today <I've known him for a year> He's from Sweden and could only get 1 3-mos non-imm visa. This was his year break from the grind... no way he could have done this <or brought 1000 Euros a month into Thailand) under the new rules

Edited by jdinasia

Don`t confuse business people with tourists. They have an army of secrataries doing all the visa stuff for them.

Right. When we need to go to China for business : we apply for a visa. We pay for it.

At the end of the road : i'm wondering if there is not a money issue.

As we all know : business men were coming to BKK for meeting or wathever, short time, on the basis of exemption of visa (30 days stamp for most of the countries, on arrival at the airport), like "tourists".

With the new rule, they should take a visa... which will be paid.

There will be much confusion:

For example; we already know that some airlines upon check-in scrutinise your passport for a valid visa, especially if travelling on a one-way ticket.

What will happen now:???

'Sorry Sir/Madam' you have already had 90 days in Thailand during the last six months, so your 3 week Christmas holiday in the L.O.S. is cancelled' we will not allow you to board the plane........

Like many people reading this, my passport is almost full of visa stamps/Laos/Cambodia visa runs etc. etc. Perhaps when I return to the U.K. next month (for 1 week); I will be bumped off my return flight to the L.O.S. by some jobsworth Emirates check-in staff (who does not understand the rules).

This is worrying.