Cheap baths

cooked

Are you talking about bathtubs? Tubs can go a lot higher than 25k. There will be material differences as well as size/type and finish quality. Some can stand alone and other require support. Some may last a bath - some a lifetime of baths. Perhaps if you provide specific someone could help better.

http://www.directtoshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=bathtub&categoryId=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageSize=40&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=

Are you talking about bathtubs? Tubs can go a lot higher than 25k. There will be material differences as well as size/type and finish quality. Some can stand alone and other require support. Some may last a bath - some a lifetime of baths. Perhaps if you provide specific someone could help better.

http://www.directtoshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=bathtub&categoryId=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageSize=40&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=

Thanks, probably bath tub in the USA. I don't care whether it's a stand alone tub or not, any work I do myself is very cheap apart from the beer.

I was wondering if a cheap tub would rust through or become uncleanable or something.

Cheap tub would likely be plastic or fiberglass at best so no rust - but believe they may require sand box for support - tubs were still porcelain over iron when I last used them - a shower person.

Sanitaryware is one of those products (like cars) where you don't always get what you pay for. A lot of pricing

is "brand" lead.

In other words 9 times out of 10 the cheap bath/wc/basin is exactly the same quality and standard as the expensive ones.

however if I can remember some criteria from my not to distant past.

Baths were often two products, acryllic or carronite. So generally the acrylllic would be the cheaper bath, it would scratch easier and it was often only 4mm/5mm thick.

carronite was much tougher, unscratchable and cast at 6mm/7mm/8mm thick so deflection from some big mama in a bath full of water would be negligable.

When I worked for local council housing we used to fit 8mm acryllic; they were very cheap but being 8mm thick they could stand the abuse of multiple bathers/dog washing/acid bath murder/reptiles. they would last for years.

25K for a bath even in the UK is expensive and for that you can get a spa whirlpool; jets and all; but here; well i saw one yesterday a cheaper one at 41k.

personally if I was in the market for a bath I would be checking out whats available in the range 5k-12k and putting the money into high quality tap fittings.

• 4 weeks later...

Sanitaryware is one of those products (like cars) where you don't always get what you pay for. A lot of pricing

is "brand" lead.

In other words 9 times out of 10 the cheap bath/wc/basin is exactly the same quality and standard as the expensive ones.

however if I can remember some criteria from my not to distant past.

Baths were often two products, acryllic or carronite. So generally the acrylllic would be the cheaper bath, it would scratch easier and it was often only 4mm/5mm thick.

carronite was much tougher, unscratchable and cast at 6mm/7mm/8mm thick so deflection from some big mama in a bath full of water would be negligable.

When I worked for local council housing we used to fit 8mm acryllic; they were very cheap but being 8mm thick they could stand the abuse of multiple bathers/dog washing/acid bath murder/reptiles. they would last for years.

25K for a bath even in the UK is expensive and for that you can get a spa whirlpool; jets and all; but here; well i saw one yesterday a cheaper one at 41k.

personally if I was in the market for a bath I would be checking out whats available in the range 5k-12k and putting the money into high quality tap fittings.

In the matter of high quality tap fittings, would price be a guide to quality any more than bath tubs? The cheapest aren't much cop but I would really like to know what to buy to ensure long-term trouble-free taps, having had to replace a couple. Main trouble is the poor grip between tap & basin; I now replace the useless plastic nut with a brass one & an additional washer. I am still dubious of the modern twist-valves [dunno the correct term]. What do you reckon?

Have not found any reason to buy taps above normal price range - they are all about the same quality - the extra costs are style (or gold fittings if you really pay). The quarter turn taps are much better than twist and turn in my experience. 100% unless/until destroyed by grit in water and then easy enough to replace (if same type of tap you can just replace the inside and not have to remove tap from basin). Actually all of the lower/mid cost brands seems to have interchangeable internals.

Archived