Prohibited Types Of Work In Thailand - Clarification

Hi,

Regarding the following text taken from this website (below)...in particular Category B no 2. Does the law mean that you can't do anything to do with anything under this section at all? Or that you can't produce/manufacture things on that list?

Reason being is that I have been researching coming to Thailand for a while. I have visited many times and have always wanted to live out there and run an internet business selling certain thai made goods..handicrafts, decor items etc.

Is it prohibited to buy handicrafts or other things listed in Categories A/B in Thailand and sell them to the West (or wherever) via the internet like on eBay (whilst living in Thailand)?

Or is it just prohibited to manufacture these goods out there (for an alien)?

I'm just confused by the terminology "Business activities falling in categories A & B are generally closed to foreigners" - does this mean we can't sell items falling into Categories A/B on mediums like eBay?

If that's the case..how strictly is that watched? Seems a bit odd to prevent people buying up Thai goods to sell them!

Thanks for any advice on this...

Stretch

=====================================

Prohibited types of work in Thailand

The Alien Business Law (N.E.C. Announcement 281). Business activities falling in categories A & B are generally closed to foreigners. Under category C you must obtain a permit prior to commencing business. Businesses outside these categories are exempt. The Ministry of Commerce will also help applications of non trading offices.

Category A: 1.Agriculture: rice farming; salt farming. Commercial Business: Internal trade in local agriculture products, Land trade. Service business: Accounting, farming animals, architecture, advertising, brokerage, auctioning, Barber, hair dressing & beautician. Building industry.

Category B. 1. Agriculture Business: orchids, cultivation, animal husbandry including silk worm raising, timbering, fishing.

2. Industrial & Handicraft: Rice milling, Flour making, sugar, alcohol & non alcohol drinks, Ice cream, Pharmaceutical manufacturing, cold storage, timber, gold, silver and inlaid stone, wood carving, lacquer-ware, match making, cement etc, Dynamiting rocks, Manufacturing garments & shoes, Printing, newspaper publishing, silk weaving or silk printing, manufacture of finished products in silk.

3. Commercial: all retailing not in category C. Or trading not in Category C, selling food an drinks, trading of antiques & fine arts.

4 Service Industry: Tour agency, Hotels except Hotel management, photography, laundering, dress making and service jobs.

5. Land, water & ie. transport.

Category C. You are allowed to do the following. Exporting, all wholesale trades not in A & B. retiling machinery, equipment & tools, selling food, beverages that promote tourism. Industrial & handicraft Business: manufacturing animal feeds, vegetable oil extraction, textile manufacturing, dyeing, fabric printing, glass ware manufacturing, making plates and bowls, stationary & printing paper, rock salt mining, mining.

Service: anything not in A or B.

=====================================

have visited many times and have always wanted to live out there and run an internet business selling certain thai made goods..handicrafts, decor items etc.

You are able to do this and own the business 100% as a foreigner without requiring a Foreign Business License.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

have visited many times and have always wanted to live out there and run an internet business selling certain thai made goods..handicrafts, decor items etc.

You are able to do this and own the business 100% as a foreigner without requiring a Foreign Business License.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated.

So..I could do this? What would I require in terms of (work?) visa's? And permits? What costs would I incur to get to the stage of being able to sell thai handicrafts etc online whilst living in Thailand and it all being legal? And is the ability to do this subject to being permitted in the first place?

Also..why does the above text say, "Business activities falling in categories A & B are generally closed to foreigners", if we are in fact able to be involved in 'business activities' in these areas? I'm confused about this.

Thanks

Edited by stretch