Pics of the new Toyota Hilux Revo

I notice it's got a "Pre-Runner" sticker the same as the Vigo. What does it mean?

Prerunner is a Hilux variant that has raised suspension like a 4x4, but is actually only rear wheel drive.

Ford call it Hi-Rider, Isuzu call it Highlander, Mitsubishi call it Plus, Nissan call it Calibre, etc

IMHO, thanks for your response. I have found by browsing the internet the origins of the term PreRunner, which is from pre-running a desert track before a race and the term certainly has been used by Toyota (probably in the USA) for what you describe "a Hilux variant that has raised suspension like a 4x4 but is actually only rear wheel drive". I am puzzled why the pre-runner (for a race) would have been a 2 wheel drive but I'm even more puzzled why my own Hilux Vigo has both a PreRunner sticker and D4D chrome letters. Can anybody explain this? I'm wondering if perhaps it now just designates a model with raised suspension and running boards.

D4D = Direct-injection 4-cylinder Diesel (the engine).

Thanks again. I now know why I got stuck in some sand and had to be towed out!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having had over 9 trouble free years with my Toyota Fortuner it would be hard for me to switch to another brand, but, I think the out going model of The 4x4 Toyota Vigo looks much better then the new one, I don't like the design of the new Toyota at all.

That New face lift Ranger looks really good, I mean in the looks department it simply blows the Revo away, but, would the Ford give me over 9 trouble free years, the same as my Toyota has and its still going great.

Ford are allied with Mazda right ?

So why wouldn't they have the same reliability as other Japanese cars tend to have, do Mazda make the engine ? If the New Fortuner is based on the Revo design which I fear it will be, I'd buy the Ford SUV in a heartbeat instead of my favored brand Toyota.

It's just that the Toyota has been so reliable, never put a foot wrong, it's not the nicest car I've ever owned ( I had a 735i BMW back in the day ) but it's been by far the most reliable and always sways me towards Toyota, I know Toyota will sell a ton of these trucks, but I really feel they have made a balls up of the truck.

It's normal practice to give discounts on "old" models to shift them. Sorry, but I wouldn't buy a new old model just for the discount.

The "old model" has automatically devalued, so it's not really a saving, unless the vehicle is kept for many years.

Here's the blue version:

revo-3.jpg

If you're still not sure if that dash is hideous or not, just wait until you see it IRL wink.png

The navara looks way nicer inside to me...and sure the mmc ranger will too. No doubt the sheeple will buy this appliance in droves...because its a toyota so it must be good!

Apparently Toyota AU also have objections to the interior styling and the models they get over there will have a different design.

Perhaps the market in AU is a little more competitive there for pickups.

Sat in the new navara today while picking up my swift (that was repainted by them). It's very nice and SUV-like. Wife preferred the x-trail though but not sure I'd like a 2.0 petrol mated to a cvt.

It's normal practice to give discounts on "old" models to shift them. Sorry, but I wouldn't buy a new old model just for the discount.

The "old model" has automatically devalued, so it's not really a saving, unless the vehicle is kept for many years.

The truck my wife traded in to buy a new Vigo yesterday was a nine year old Vigo with more than 300,000 km on the clock.

She will probably keep the new one a similar length of time/mileage. At getting on for a decade old it will not matter much whether it is a Vigo or a Revo when it comes to resale. Condition will be far more important in determining value.

In our circumstances and given that for us it is a work truck as opposed to the go to Lotus variety it made sense to go for the old model.

I have nothing against the Revo (other than the hideous nailed on i Pad thing) but with nothing in the way of purchase incentives it wasn't attractive right now.

No doubt it will only come in the same 4 colours available on the present model with no choice of colour for the interior.

It comes in:

Nebula Blue (launch model color)

Crimson Spark Red

White Pearl Crystal

Super White

Silver Metallic

Dark Grey Mica Metallic

Attitude Black

So apart from red and a pearl white, no changes.... Wow. At least no more beige.....

What no pinky pink?...passifier.gif

I just checked them out in the flesh. Not very inspiring and seems very similar to the old model. Just a new dash and front end (notwithstanding the tech improvements) ths nose seems overly longer than it needs to be, the c pillar area is awful and that dash is an abomination. It was interesting to see a sta dard cab versjon with 4wd and locking diff. Great for farmers!

I'd hesitate too but if you get a very good discount, it might actually be a smart decision. Bear also in mind that the price of the new model is up by quite a bit. So your price difference is somewhere around 250k between the Vigo and a Revo.

Personally i wouldn't buy the Revo now. Surely you won't get any discount and you will be on a long waiting list. I would wait a year or so. Give it some time until you can compare it properly with other models, work out the pros and cons, find out if there any flaws or not.

I just checked them out in the flesh. Not very inspiring and seems very similar to the old model. Just a new dash and front end (notwithstanding the tech improvements) ths nose seems overly longer than it needs to be, the c pillar area is awful and that dash is an abomination. It was interesting to see a sta dard cab versjon with 4wd and locking diff. Great for farmers!

It is actually larger in nearly all dimensions to the outgoing Vigo, but the styling does a good job of hiding the extra size. Also, the wheelbase remains unchanged from the Vigo, despite having a larger cabin and tray, so one has to wonder just how much different the chassis is (Toyota claim it's new). I guess we'll find out the truth when the CNG guys try to fit a system to a Revo ;)

As for including a base spec single cab with 4WD, it seems Mitsubishi finally has some competition in this particular segment... but at 53K Baht less than the Revo, I expect Mistu will hold on to it's market share in this price-sensitive segment ;)

See they have binned the air scoop on the bonnet, where have they put the intercooler?, air filter box is a new design and interestingly gone for chain driven cam. Six speed auto box now and something about improved leaf suspension?.

The one that would interest me would be the 2 door petrol one, bet thats a flyer, is it mated to an auto box?

See they have binned the air scoop on the bonnet, where have they put the intercooler?, air filter box is a new design and interestingly gone for chain driven cam. Six speed auto box now and something about improved leaf suspension?.

The one that would interest me would be the 2 door petrol one, bet thats a flyer, is it mated to an auto box?

The intercooler is now in the front. It has longer leaf springs at the rear ala D-Max/Colorado. The Gasoline engine is not available with AT.

The intercooler is now in the front. It has longer leaf springs at the rear ala D-Max/Colorado. The Gasoline engine is not available with AT.

it is according to the link you have provided all but in double cab version - 2.x 4, 2.7E AT - 895,000 THB. Just wondered if it was vailable in the 2 door. No worries I more than capable of popping over to the Toyota garage to find out myself.

Having had over 9 trouble free years with my Toyota Fortuner it would be hard for me to switch to another brand, but, I think the out going model of The 4x4 Toyota Vigo looks much better then the new one, I don't like the design of the new Toyota at all.

That New face lift Ranger looks really good, I mean in the looks department it simply blows the Revo away, but, would the Ford give me over 9 trouble free years, the same as my Toyota has and its still going great.

Ford are allied with Mazda right ?

So why wouldn't they have the same reliability as other Japanese cars tend to have, do Mazda make the engine ? If the New Fortuner is based on the Revo design which I fear it will be, I'd buy the Ford SUV in a heartbeat instead of my favored brand Toyota.

It's just that the Toyota has been so reliable, never put a foot wrong, it's not the nicest car I've ever owned ( I had a 735i BMW back in the day ) but it's been by far the most reliable and always sways me towards Toyota, I know Toyota will sell a ton of these trucks, but I really feel they have made a balls up of the truck.

Have had both a Ford Ranger and Toyota Hilux and to be honest I think the HiLux would last longer.

As soon as the warranty runs out on my Ranger not sure how long I will keep it.

Have a friend that works at Mazda back home and he said the 6speed Auto Gerbox's are failing big time... They have a grave yard of the for the BT50. He said sell it after Waranty is out. Not very reasuring.

Have an old Hilux sitting in my guarage back home... Its never give, me any issues... The 3.0 diesel is a great motor.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

OK! I have actually gazed upon, walked around and sat in the brand new 'Weewo' that was sitting on display in the middle of UD Town on Udon Thani yesterday and it is as bad as it looks. For the Vigo fan boys, if it's the new, fuel efficient mill and possibly some suspension and chassis tweaks that you have been waiting for then that's all you are getting. The interior is what Toyota assumes is 'retro' but is as ugly as the black on black older model Vigo 4x4 I picked up at Udon airport.

I was up in Udon to pick up the white plates for my Ranger 3.2 that I bought last February. I note that Ford are offering 80,000 discount on the top-line Wildtrak at the moment, probably to shift the 'old' model off inventory ahead the revamped one due imminently.

Tried to find out who manufactures Ford's 6 speed auto with no luck so far. I assume it is a Ford product...Same with the Revo, no info but assume it is an Aisin......

It is a ZF transmission. made under licence by Ford.

Just had a test drive today in the 4x4 auto and must say after testing the Ford Ranger/Navara its much much nicer .

I know its more expensive but so are most things in life that are better .

I am not Toyota biased but having had a Vigo and a navara you cant go wrong in a Toyota

Fords are great until they go wrong like my neighbours still waiting for parts no thanks!

Nothing wrong with the dash thought it was nice much better than the others i looked at.

The exterior is very similar to the Champ but the Revo is so much more comfortable and smooth .

Tried to find out who manufactures Ford's 6 speed auto with no luck so far. I assume it is a Ford product...Same with the Revo, no info but assume it is an Aisin......

The original ZF tranny may be bullit proof, but Ford being Ford they have their accountants look at the cost and no matter what the unit price....it was to dear. So they start to cheapout on parts and before you know it 100 's of thousands are out there and they start giving problems.

The original ZF tranny may be bullit proof, but Ford being Ford they have their accountants look at the cost and no matter what the unit price....it was to dear. So they start to cheapout on parts and before you know it 100 's of thousands are out there and they start giving problems.

Another well qualified statement (not).

Just had a test drive today in the 4x4 auto and must say after testing the Ford Ranger/Navara its much much nicer .

I know its more expensive but so are most things in life that are better .

I am not Toyota biased but having had a Vigo and a navara you cant go wrong in a Toyota

Fords are great until they go wrong like my neighbours still waiting for parts no thanks!

Nothing wrong with the dash thought it was nice much better than the others i looked at.

The exterior is very similar to the Champ but the Revo is so much more comfortable and smooth .

Good to hear a qualitative assessment based on a test drive. Apart from the Revo's less than groundbreaking looks both inside and out, it is interesting to hear how it actually rides.

I haven't ridden/driven a Navara but I know from +60,000 km of Ranger driving that the 2.2 Hi-rider is noticeably smoother and quieter than their 3.2 Wildtrak variant. What Ford did you test drive?

Edited by NanLaew

When i say i tested the Ford Ranger it was a Airport run to pick up my neighbour 300km round trip in his 3.2 Ranger .still waiting for parts 6 months and counting .

As for the Revo test drive it was only a short test drive 30 minutes but you can get a feel for a vehicle in that time.

Thought the Ranger was just average in less time than that.

guys just want to asked.. has anyone heard of a ford ranger 3.2 MT 4x4 with transmission problems? im over here in the philippines.. my friend couldnt wait for the new hilux and didnt want to buy the current hilux model too.. so they bought the ranger. i warned them that there are lots of unsolved problems with the ranger.. but its not me buying it so i told them to get what they want.. with less than 5k,the transmission locked up in first gear.. cant shift at all.. the clutch is ok..as you can still drive the car in first gear only. its been in the Ford dealer now for 3 weeks still no results.

thanks guys..

I doubt many in Thailand would have experience of your friends issue Cocoy as the 3.2 was never sold here with the manual gearbox.

Look for a forum called newranger.net If there is a known issue it will be mentioned on there.

well i picked up my new revo today and i must say im impressed with it ,many new features as standard and a nice drive ,i would sat a vast improvement on the champ and they gave me a decent part ex

so no complaints from me so far

well i picked up my new revo today and i must say im impressed with it ,many new features as standard and a nice drive ,i would sat a vast improvement on the champ and they gave me a decent part ex

Good , we need reports like this, 2.4 or 2.8L engine?. Model?.

Trying to convince my Mrs to trade our 6 yo Vigo in, but looks like a no go - "truck not old" etc

no its not the ugly blue

its a 2.4 diesel e with manual gears , as mentioned i traded in a 4 year old champ with 100000 plus on the clock , i have had 4 vigos and this is by far te best ,plenty of poke and very nice to drive , it has many features my old one did not have , power button /eco mode ,.6 gears,arm rest in the rear , cooler in the glove box , and a few moor ,more like a car inside

Good , we need reports like this, 2.4 or 2.8L engine?. Model?.

Trying to convince my Mrs to trade our 6 yo Vigo in, but looks like a no go - "truck not old" etc

Still got a good 19 years left in that Vigo, at least ! smile.png

Saw it in the flesh today. I had a Vigo and a Fortuner and liked them both. Cant say I am impressed with the looks of the Revo, especially that interior with the ugly stuck on screen. God good Toyota, what were you thinking. Sack your stylist.