22 Thais arrested for deceiving, causing nuisances to foreign tourists

webfact

Such a shame that this, like many "illegal activities", go on for years before someone finally wakes up and does something about it.

If anyone in power would like a list of all the other things that are damaging the countries reputation let us all know and we'll have a list for you in about 5 mins.

Really ?? I wouldn't know where to start..and drawing up a list would take me much longer than 5 minutes..I could spend all evening on a list like that.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually fail to see a crime here.

Me too....because I fell for the "closed for lunch" line on my first visit nearly 10 years ago. Got a very cheap tour of several sights, but also a few businesses (tuk-tuk told me upfront he got voucher for petrol if I went in). But no pressure to buy, and only bought some shirts at a tailor, at a reasonable price, Second fittings at my hotel, and delivered to my hotel. Despite trying other tailors since I still go back there as best shirts I ever had. Scam, maybe, but was positive for me. Life is what your attitude makes of it. Unfortunately too many TV posters have a very pessimistic view on life.

I actually fail to see a crime here.

I can't imagine what the charge would be, but if the police/army can get them on a trumped up charge that will do.

Maybe just a good roughing up would be better, a few bruises, a broken tooth??

Of course a lot of tourists make themselves big targets, and we can't legislate against stupidity.......unfortunately. Imagine if the death penalty applied for stupidity?? 95% of the population would be culled, and let's face it, we've all done stupid things from time to time; everybody except me!!

Some people deserve all they get,a couple who are friends of mine going on there first trip to Thailand warned them about the gem scams the temples are closed scam,warned them in the strongest way possible THERE ARE NO FREE TUK TUKS the first offer of a free ride they got in.

You don't have to buy anything

Have been on a couple of tuk tuk tours gems gold and tailors

Bought nothing tuk tuk man still gets fuel money for delivering potential customers

Happens in Bali as well

So don't see a crime apart from an odd sucker paying over the odds

The really sad part is for many tourists a visit to the grand palace is one of their visit highlights. To be deprived of the opportunity by this scam reflects very badly on Thailand even though caused by only a small number of bad apples.

This has been going on for decades. I even reported the scammers to the reception at the Wat Pho but then they suddenly didn't speak any english.

It also has been shown on european documentary's in many country's.

One also wouldn't find a metre-taxi in those area's and i bet my hat that's still the same upon today.

Scam city Bangkok shows an episode on this. The episode is about 2-3 years old now I think but these things are still going on.

The next headline: 22 thais Accused Of Deceiving Tourist Were Released

22 thais, who were accused of deceiving tourist were released after it was found that a gang of temple monkeys had stolen their identities and tuk tuks. After interrogations with bananas the primates confessed and admitted to their crimes.

Large clear photos please..... including police officer finger pointing, public shaming and incriminating poses performed by the perpetrators...... for all to see....and posted all over Thailand....lol

Cheers

Sorry for bringing a thread back from page 3, but it's only been 2 days since I saw this, and just happened today to see an article on foxnews.com (which is itself quoting a story in the NY Post) about a guy arrested in New York for scamming a pair of tourists by charging them $200 each way for a ride on a ferry that is actually free (the one that takes you around the statue of liberty island). The article mentions the culprit is one of "a small army" of scammers. There are a couple amusing bits:

The paper quoted one cop as saying they’ve gotten complaints from people saying they’ve been charged $25 to ride the ferry, “but this guy was charging $200 each way.”

This sort of implies the cops ignore the scammers that only charge $25. And:

Cops said Reddick still had the $400 on him, but they weren’t able to return the cash to the scammed tourists. They had already split, the Post said.

I suspect that the cops didn't look very hard, and that because they can't produce the victims, the scammer will go free. But the police department will keep the $400 under the US "civil forfiture" law., which, in case you're not up on it, is a scam more egregious than anything in Thailand, not least because it's legal: Under this law, if the US government simply suspects you of committing a crime, they can seize physical and monitary assets involved in the suspected "crime", and hold your stuff indefinitely, without charging you with a crime, forcing you to go to court to get your money, car, etc back.

I loved being scammed. I paid 100 baht and the tuk tuk took me all around bkk. If went to look in 4 shops, he would take me to the big shopping mall and wait while I did my shopping.

I was not forced to buy anything. I did buy a couple of trinkets and enjoyed bartering.

I probably lost a hundred baht.

Well worth it, for the great tour and interesting holiday experience. And the scammers had perfect English and were so polite.

Gotta love em