Soi 38 Food stalls

IMA_FARANG

rolleyes.gif Just read on the front page of the Sunday Bangkok Post that the food stalls and tables at the intersection of Soi 38 and Sukhumvit Road are going to be closed down very soon.

Apparently for 'development"

That food area, and the carts and tables, has been there for 40 years or so. I know it was there in the late 1978 or 1979 time, when I used to live in a guesthouse about 100 meters down Soi 38 from Sukhumvit (long closed).

I used to work in Saudi Arabia from 1977 to 1983, and I spent my holidays (often twice a year) in that time at a guesthouse on Soi 38

Many times late at night on my way home from Papong or Soi Cowboy, I stopped at that very corner and had a bowl of noodles or their "Fish Ball soup".

A lot of Thais, not just poor Thais, but many with expensive cars stopped there to eat at those stalls and carts. Soi 38 was listed in travel guides for Bangkok as one of the sights to see in Bangkok

As the Buddhists will say the nature of all things is impermanence.

Closing down the food stalls and carts at Soi 38 Sukhumvit is just further proof of how "old" I am getting, I guess.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

As someone who wasn't alive in the 70s, and has only been in Bangkok for about a year, I can testify that this area and its amazing food will be sorely missed by young and old alike.

The Post article said they're looking for a place nearby to relocate to, fingers crossed.