Australia to bring home bodies of 25 who died in Vietnam War

webfact

Australia to bring home bodies of 25 who died in Vietnam War

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia announced Monday that it will repatriate the remains of up to 25 Australian soldiers killed about 50 years ago during the Vietnam War.

Australia has only repatriated the remains of its war dead killed in foreign countries since January 1966, but the 25 Australian soldiers killed in Vietnam before the policy change were left buried in cemeteries in Malaysia and Singapore, despite their families' objections.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott told Parliament the government would repatriate these soldiers except in cases where their families wanted the graves left undisturbed.

"As 2015 marks 50 years since the arrival of combat troops and the escalation of Australian involvement in Vietnam, it is right and proper that we honor their service with this gesture," he said.

Opposition leader Bill Shorten said the offer put right a 50-year-old wrong.

The niece of the first Australian killed in Vietnam, Warrant Officer Kevin Conway, wanted his remains brought back to Australia to be buried beside family and friends, Shorten said.

Conway was attached to U.S. Special Forces when he died defending their camp on July 6, 1964, aged 35. He was the only Australian Vietnam War casualty buried at Singapore's Kranji War Cemetery. The other 24 Australians lie in Terendak Military Cemetery in Malaysia.

Australia deployed more than 60,000 military personnel to the Vietnam conflict between 1962 and 1973, of whom 521 were killed.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-25

I can understand this, is one of my relatives were still buried there, I would also want them taken home to be buried near other family members. I can also though understand if a family member did not want to disturb a grave.

Thanks for asking, that tracker1! I actually stepped away from this article to do a little internet search myself, and my tiny 5 minute search didn't find the answer. Can someone provide a quick answer?

the answer was as per what's written in the Article.

It's just that contemporary attitudes do change over time...

The same question could probably be applied to those veterans buried at the Commonwealth Burial site in Kuching (below the Entrance toMaxwell Hill (Bukit Larut).

This site served burials of WW2, but continued on during the Malaysian Emergency up until 1960

I can remember being part of a huge protest march in Melbourne against the war. I worked for a very well known firm of solicitors and we were given the afternoon off to participate. I would want my family member to come home to his birthplace.

Can anyone tell me why were they buried in Malaysia why didn't they return them to Australia in the first instance after all the battle was in Vietnam not Malaysia sad.png

Australian families of the dead could have arranged to have the remains sent to Oz rather than be buried at the Oz cemetery in Malaysia, but were required to pay ₤500 or the equivalent dollar amount after conversion to decimal currency.

Can anyone tell me why were they buried in Malaysia why didn't they return them to Australia in the first instance after all the battle was in Vietnam not Malaysia sad.png

Australian families of the dead could have arranged to have the remains sent to Oz rather than be buried at the Oz cemetery in Malaysia, but were required to pay ₤500 or the equivalent dollar amount after conversion to decimal currency.

Yes, it was the sad state of affairs of the time. Same applied to all actions diggers were involved in worldwide up to and including Vietnam. Shipping home the dead was not a priority.

I couldn't imagine it happening now, with how politicized Anzac has become.

that is a very good question! if that happened in the United States heads would roll immediately! not to mention a relative with a gun!

The positive side, which is the return of the remains of the dead, seems overshadowed by the negative and selfish comments of a few.

Dark clouds are often found hovering over the heads of those who prefer the darkness and avoid the joy of the sunlight.

-Me-

All the diggers from Boer War through to early Vietnam were buried in foreign soil. Logistics have changed and it is far more practical to return them from the later conflicts. Personally, I don't think it matters where or even whether you are buried, but to many it does, fair enough. If it brings some consolation to the families, then it is worth it.

Terendak was a multi-national Army Brigade Base (Brits, Aussies & Kiwis). I was stationed there in 65/66 and sadly participated in a number of funerals for those KIA in SVN.

Each of those buried there were given full military funerals, but sadly never saw any of the deceased family or friends.

This camp, some years back, was given to Malaysia for there use.

About five years ago, on a visit to Malaysia, I tried to pay my respects to those buried there. Unfortunately I was denied entry by the Malaysia Military Police.

I was to learn later that to gain entry one had to submit a request to the Aust Embassy in KL, they in turn would pass this this to the Malaysia Army, and some time later (like weeks) access may be granted.

An utter disgrace.

MINDEF (Malaysia) is world held unto itself.

Even communication between Aust Defence Force and them was a hard slog.

(Well, it was - from Air Base Butterworth anyhows...)