Anyone know anything about new Yamaha Exciter 150?

Saw one in the shop today. Looks like a nice little bike with standard gear / clutch and maybe a bit more poke and a bit sportier than what we have. We have a Honda Click 125I only 6 months old, 2000ks. Guy offered us 30k THB as a trade in. If I could have got 40k back would have bought it for sure.

Am I dreaming wanting 40k for the Click? Prices are all over the place in the used bike classys

You won't get that much from a dealership, they need to make their profit margin. If you try to sell it yourself you might be able to get it though.

There's a thread on the Exciter already running, might want to take a look. Looks pretty good for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic scooter, feels like a real bike. Its handling (leaves big bikes behind in the twisty mountain roads) gives you a real thirst for a more powerful bike.

However...

Although Yamaha is renowned for quality bikes, the Exciter 150 (made in Indonesia) is not one of them.

After 1200km I've sold mine, and put a waiting deposit on a crazy-fun MT-07.

Before purchase, the particular Exciter 150 I had my eye on in the showroom had a defect with the rear passenger peg not folding down and locking (clicking) correctly. This may be a small issue, but it's an indication of poor quality control at the Indonesian Yamaha factory. So I took a good look at another Exciter, and even though the cheap-looking left-right indicator switch was not centering (clicks twice to the left and no click to the right), I left the showroom happy with that bike.

So, time to change the oil and filter around 800km (found more than the usual amount of aluminium shavings in the old oil and filter), and I notice major casting defects in the crankcase cover - the worst being a 3cm crack wrapping around the gear-shifter axle. It looked as if someone had tried to manually hammer the crankcase cover into shape around that axle hole. But since there was no oil leak there, I figured it was just a cosmetic detail and not worth worrying about.

But the main issue that finally tipped me over and made me sell the 150, was that after carefully and correctly ramping up the engine's rev range throughout the running-in period, the engine begun to sound and feel like a bucket of loose bolts. I can't see this particular engine lasting beyond 10-20k before it needs a major rebuild.

It's a pity about the bike's quality issues, because riding the Exciter 150 feels like it should be illegal to have so much fun on a scooter.

Edited by Laisze

• 1 month later...