Complaints of taxis rejecting passengers mostly from Sukhumvit, Silom, Sathorn, Phayathai roads

webfact

I never ever understood the thinking of a Thai taxi driver. OK...

Empty taxi sitting in traffic earning zero Baht for the driver.

Taxi driver refuses passenger because of traffic ... that he is sitting in anyway.

OK ... this is where it screws-up my reasoning process.

Don't reason, just lose your brains.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently remarked that all Thai people give the driver the address. Often the driver

says "NO". Apparently this is a Thai custom disliked by foreigners.

I always get in and then state my destination, Krab, Works 90 % of the time.

When the driver says no - okay. This Thailand. Kob Khun Krab.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

1,832 complaints is only 'several'? tongue.png

Is only 10%. Less than the rate of VAT.

Ugh - VAT is 7%!

I guess that it is not only Thai people who are bad at maths whistling.gif

But, back to the subject - do the Thai authorities really care? Same old, same old - much flapping of the lips but no real action to discourage these rogue drivers. The offending taxi drivers/owners don't care either! So maybe the answer is, always seek other forms of transport first and put taxis last on your list.

Just amazes me that Thai "authorities" never seem to learn from other countries how to deal with problems, taxis or otherwise. They (authorities) do not need to apply the exact solution but modify the solution to make it work in Thailand. So pathetic really, unfortunately. In the words of the tourist industry "Amazing Thailand" coffee1.gif

the Thais are so SO clever,

they dont need, and never will listen to any other !!

They are the Hub of the HUB of cleverness !!

This situation can be easily resolved. Create taxi stand along those routs and enforce the rules. No pickup by flagging a taxi. Taxis must use the Taxi stand and turn meters on .

Have enforcers in the taxi stands at the beginning and For those that do try and circumvent the standst hen levy a stiff fine of lets say

3000 baht Something serious enough to make drivers think twice about it . Now the law has no teeth. Most drivers are willing to risk getting caught at 1000 baht. But make the fine serous and most taxi drivers are not willing to risk the fine.

Solutions to the problem are as usual not that complicated. When there is any 'clampdown' it is usually met with a half baked idea designed not to be useful - like this particular app. If you can;t record the time and number plate of the taxi and if you can't report what the issue was then the app is not worth the ticket. But as I say Thais design things this way on purpose so they can bleat on about how they are tackling all these issues and it being all pretence, nothing is solved. This is the way from the smallest thing to the entirity of the law and order systems and the government.

As if Thai taxi drivers care what complaints are file about non pickups.

Didn't I read there's a 1000 thb fine for each complaint?

That's what I thought also .... i'm sure they would care ..

Hearing tests for Thai Taxi drivers to become compulsory

Reading test for Falangs also compulsory , don't try to get a cab on Suhkhomvit in peak times the driver may be deaf.

For Taxi complaint you may try this number : ( PLEASE CALL WHEN YOU ARE REFUSED TAXI )

Department of Land Transport: Offices near Bangkok
  • Head Office
    At
    : 1032 Phaholyothin Road, Lardyao, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900
    Tel: 02 271 8888, English language ext. 4712-4 or for Thai language 1584
    Covers districts: Chatuchak, Pomprarb Satruphai, Lardprao, Samphanthawong, Don Muang, Patumwan, Bangrak, Dusit, Phayathai, Bangsue, Huay Kwang, Bangkhen, Bangkapi, Din Daeng, Saimhai and Rachathevee

I never ever understood the thinking of a Thai taxi driver. OK...

Empty taxi sitting in traffic earning zero Baht for the driver.

Taxi driver refuses passenger because of traffic ... that he is sitting in anyway.

OK ... this is where it screws-up my reasoning process.

Agreed. I was once outside Panthip Plaza, and having made a purchase, wanted a taxi for the short hop straight along Phetburi to BTS/Rachathewi. A taxi stopped, but rejected me and drove off, empty towards the BTS station. Next taxi took me and earned a nice tip!

When the app came out I used it. One night. leaving Silom, we got in and the driver wanted 200 THB. I took a picture of the number (Inside on door)

He and my wife "had a few words" and she told me the deal was "Meter on, delete picture."

Off we went.

When we got to the condo, I got out, and sent in the picture of his number with a complaint.

She read me the riot act, and was correct!

OK, now we have a driver who will pay a 1,000 THB fine, WHO KNOWS WHERE WE LIVE ... and what we look like! Are you the Taxi Police??? Is it really worth this?

Deleted the app the next morning.

This is such BS. All the police have to do is go to Siam Paragon, anythine, and watch the taxis turn down 10 fares before a complete tourist pays 300 THB to go to 5 blocks.

If they meant to enforce the law, and make 100,000 THB in fines, they could stand there all day writing tickets.

Rinse and repeat at all the 5 Star Hotels, and any area thick with Foreigners.

This is Kabuki Theater, there is no real interest in changing anything.

My rule is simple .. if the window rolls down, i do not even bother talking to the driver. When a cab stops, I get in and close the door. I tell him in fairly good Thai where i am going. When he says no, I say it again. We do that for a while. Often, "the third time is a charm" .. and they push the button and go.

I do not have a lot of problems with taxis .. it could be the way I speak Thai, slow and quite .. like a local ...not excited and yelling. It conveys a "I live here, I do this all the time, please, let's just go." message and seems to work.

Thai people like good manners, and if you take the time to learn just the basics of "Taxi Talk" it can make life easy.

My wife was right however, playing Taxi Police Enforcer can become a lot more trouble than it is worth. Just Stay Calm and Hail another Cab.

So you made a deal not to report the guy if he used the meter....then you did it anyway. Where I come from that's called being a d!ck.

Had you not done that, you would have nothing to fear re: the taxi driver knowing where you live. In fact, most people reporting have nothing to fear reporting the taxi since they don't end up taking it.

Actually no ... I reported him for being disrespectful to my wife . bitching, moaning and arguing the whole way.

And you know what? I do not make deals with the devil .. if I need to get a taxi by "not reporting your refusal to take us" .. you really do not understand the problem, the solution or this thread. You probably do not even live in BKK.

My "helpful hint' was .. do not play Taxi Cop, it can easily backfire, and you can end up on the wrong end of a 5 against one brawl. The thesis was .. if the governement wanted to stop refusals, there are a dozen well known hot spots they could send the police to, they do not .. this is a publicity stunt, where the victims are forced to become enforcers.

This is like calling the front desk in a hotel to complain that the toilet is filthy .. and they reply "There is a rag and cleaner in the bottom drawer." No thank you.

Never mind .. go ahead .. take all the photos you want .. and when the drivers surround you ... best of luck.

let's hope ALL THAI TAXI is becoming bigger and bigger. once they have 5000+ cars, they might be able to change the game. As for now: We all should be happy that this government at least tries to fight the Taxi scammers. It is not an easy task though. the Taxi scam is a hydra after all. you can not employ 300 people everyday just to crack down on Cabs

whistling.gif I always wonder why some people seem to have so many problems haling taxis to go to where they want to go in Bangkok.

Yesterday I was at the U.S embassy on wireless road.

Walked out, flagged down a taxi, and went to my residence near Fortune town mall Rachada.

No problem, first cab I hailed took me.

Of course sometimes they say no, but I guess I have 80% success with getting a taxi first time.

I figure 4 successes out of 5 tries, is a good average.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Until the new Thai government shows the drivers they are not good for the tourist trade they will not change. Take there drivers license and fine them. Until the drivers under stand that there will be no more slap on wallet they will never change!

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

Pay Cuts - they promised they would change - they have not, so decrease their pay back to what it was, and let UBER and EASYTAXI do a better job. simple!

whats easytaxi like?. I've only used GrabTaxi and they are pretty good. Sometimes if there is no taxi in the vacinity, you have to re-try. I think thats only during peak periods or if you are ordering from outside of the city.
With Grabtaxi you get to keep track of the trips, which comes in handy.

Pay Cuts - they promised they would change - they have not, so decrease their pay back to what it was, and let UBER and EASYTAXI do a better job. simple!

whats easytaxi like?. I've only used GrabTaxi and they are pretty good. Sometimes if there is no taxi in the vacinity, you have to re-try. I think thats only during peak periods or if you are ordering from outside of the city.
With Grabtaxi you get to keep track of the trips, which comes in handy.

I think that like me, most people who live in BKK do not have the luxury of waiting around for these call services.

What is your normal wait time? And how much more is the fare, than if you just used the meter/