Heat Wave Death Toll Exceeds 700 in India - Reports

webfact

Heat Wave Death Toll Exceeds 700 in India - Reports
Over 700 people have died from sunstroke across two southern Indian states amid exceedingly high temperatures, local media reported Tuesday.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — The outlet added the death toll in the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh in the country's southeast has grown in recent days as average temperatures there averaged 45 degrees Celsius (113 Fahrenheit).

Hundreds Dead In Indian Heat Wave http://t.co/nEd4hOeeQY pic.twitter.com/g0q8MeaAEg

— Warming Globe (@WarmingGlobeHub) May 25, 2015
"Temperatures will continue to rise for [the] next 4-5 days. There might be a slight change in temperatures after May 31," CNN-IBN quoted Meteorological Department Director Sharat Chandra Sahu as saying.

Full story: http://sputniknews.com/asia/20150526/1022552561.html

-- Sputnik 2015-05-26

It is time for America to send Air Conditions to save the people. We have so many and India needs it now I can not understand also why Russia can not send down so cold air they have plenty of it

99% of these deaths are in villages, and most of them do not have power, they are all poor and if there was power they could not afford to pay for it. I spent 7 yrs going back and forward to India buying shoes for our New Zealand business and the heat at times was unbearable.

Read today that the toll has risen to 800.

It's very telling....these people are fully acclimatised yet are still dying from the heat.

What I find odd is the report says the temperature is 45 C....that's hot, but Australia gets that every summer...even hotter. I've been out in the paddock during 46 C, very low humidity...it's uncomfortable, but not deathly...as long as you keep up your water drinking.

I would guess that it takes one helluva toll on the body when temperatures reach that level for days on end and I can only assume that they are very hot at night as well. People still need to do things. Life goes on, and some people must work.

I am 63 now and spent 2 years ago 1 year working in Aussie desert 10 hours a day under sun in 45-52 deg for 2 months in a row.

Just imagine being in full PPE means helmets gloves and full body clothing and dust masks .

We had to drink water every 5-10 min (~ 10 L /shift and never go to loo)

2 younger workers died from heat after work in camp.

Conclusion ...?

We had a clean cold water to drink .... that's probably was the key to survive in such conditions.

coffee1.gif