Real Estate Agent to rent out my house

Dean1953

I'm in the first of 2.5 weeks in Chiang Mai, working on my house to hopefully get ready to rent. Two years ago, a real estate agent came out to my house in Bosang to see house and make recommendations for monthly rent. My wife, who does not want to rent, and I were present when the agent came and I'm sure that the agent realized that the wife did not want to rent and, while she listed it, I never heard back from her. I am having one side of the perimeter wall replaced and some old trees cut down and the others trimmed back. I replaced the three shower heaters with Stiebon Eltron heaters and am putting awnings on the windows on the south side, that takes the worst of the weather. I am looking for real estate agents with proven track records to come out to my house and give me an honest appraisal of what it is worth to rent out (since I am paying for all of the improvements this trip, my wife understands that keeping house without rental income is not an option). I've listed it here in classified and on Craigslist Thailand for the last 5 years and get responses about every 6 months but I haven't budged from my rental price of 20,000 baht. it is a teak house on 1 rai of land with 4 bedrooms and 3 baths in good shape. From what I've read hers and elsewhere, the price of rentals has gone up in the last couple of years but it hasn't translated to renting my house. If any real estate agents reply to this posting or PM me with their phone number, I would like to set up a time for them to look at my house. If any TV members with real estate experience want to give their advise on my asking price of 20,000 baht (with me paying a gardener to take care of grounds), I would appreciate that also.

Maybe its just knowing the local market but I dont see rents rising anything if at all (downtown and condos perhaps but not out on the edges).

San Kampeang has the greatest oversupply of housing in the country (for sale) I am renting out here and my landlord is being awkward so I may need to move.. I am not the slightest bit concerned as theres plenty out there lots at much cheaper than this one (tho it is a very nice home, I really dont need a 4 / 5 bed house for me and the GF).

Good luck with it, but I think a teak house must be hard to live in ??

I agree with the previous poster and, intuitively and from your lack of success, sticking at 20k may just be too high. Maybe take off your Landlord hat, and puit on a prospective tenant hat, and see what you can find close by for 15-20k.

That should give you a better feel for the current market, which I think is in over supply right now.

You may struggle to find an agent with much knowledge that far out, as the City and immediate environs is where they make their bread and butter- and the occasional jam.

For what it's worth, it's easy to find a 3 bed detached in a mature moo baan for 10k a month in Sansai.

And I am afraid that the money you spent, may make it more 'lettable' but may not get you an above the market rent

Good luck

We live in a 3/3 with bonus room for karaoke/gym/music room with AC for all - about 2100sf...in a Moo Baan off canal road for 16,000 per month.....if I felt like moving us could have found about the same for less in many places.....there is a glut of good convenient homes on the market right now.....So unless you find someone that wants/has to be that far out and favors the good/bad that a Teak house has to offer at that high a price.....it's going to be difficult.....We are a family of 4 and have seen "liveable" from 10,000 up - about same from 13,000.....

Edited by pgrahmm