Being Black in Thailand: We’re treated better than Africans, and boy do we hate it

webfact

Before somebody gets into trouble, please remember to abide by our forum rules. Specifically, this one:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well US citizens do seem to have an over-inflated sense of personal rights, coupled with a propensity to sue.

BTW not intended as Yank-bashing, just how much of the world sees you.

that's so true, most american negroes are looked on as demonstrators, demanding, and having an entitlement attitude having said that, could be that most blacks are looked upon by thai's as being from nigeria where the scam artist are perceived (with some justification) to come from. money scams, fake lottery and the list goes on. the nigerans are in the thai papers many times being caught scamming thai people. AND good luck with an american negro trying to sue a thai for "discrimination! ain't gong to happen!

In light of Craig's warning, I must decry your use of the N-word. You can no longer say "negro." It is politically incorrect. Please use African-American. Thank you for you understanding in these sensitive times.

I highly doubt that a Thai cop can tell the difference, regardless of how many movies he has seen

It must have been that "mo'fo' interjection every two seconds that gave her Americanism away.......

I suspect it was the very large bottom, loud voice and MacDonald's bring stuffed in her mouth while sitting on the swing which was the give away

Keep your sex fantasies to yourself.

In light of Craig's warning, I must decry your use of the N-word. You can no longer say "negro." It is politically incorrect. Please use African-American. Thank you for you understanding in these sensitive times.

I was told that Person of Color (or POC) is the most recent politically correct term. Many POC in the US do not consider themselves African-American any longer and are offended by the term.

Edited by Bellacissa

Well US citizens do seem to have an over-inflated sense of personal rights, coupled with a propensity to sue.

that's so true, most american negroes are looked on as demonstrators, demanding, and having an entitlement attitude having said that, could be that most blacks are looked upon by thai's as being from nigeria where the scam artist are perceived (with some justification) to come from. money scams, fake lottery and the list goes on. the nigerans are in the thai papers many times being caught scamming thai people. AND good luck with an american negro trying to sue a thai for "discrimination! ain't gong to happen!

I must decry your notion that your in the US and believe you need to impose the loonie PC culture that is prevalent there

Further I decry the use of the term African American, as if said individuals where born and raised in the US they are not African, in fact my daughter who happens to be white is more African that most so called " African Americans " given she was born in Africa, grew up in Africa, and holds an "African" passport, unless of course your going to suggest she can't be African because she is white ?

But surely you will not take that stance because that would be a tad hypocritical and racist wouldn't it ?

You could be fired (as in Washington) for using the term "niggardly". http://www.adversity.net/special/niggardly.htm

http://www.webpronews.com/senator-says-niggardly-2012-03

I must admit I couldn't tell an African coloured person from the American transplant. I also can't pick the difference between a Hutu and a Tutsi.

Edited by halloween

I was told that Person of Color (or POC) is the most recent politically correct term. Many POC in the US do not consider themselves African-American any longer and are offended by the term.

Holy cow! I've been away too long. I'm kind of pink. Am I a person of color, too?

I must decry your notion that your in the US and believe you need to impose the loonie PC culture that is prevalent there

Further I decry the use of the term African American, as if said individuals where born and raised in the US they are not African, in fact my daughter who happens to be white is more African that most so called " African Americans " given she was born in Africa, grew up in Africa, and holds an "African" passport, unless of course your going to suggest she can't be African because she is white ?

But surely you will not take that stance because that would be a tad hypocritical and racist wouldn't it ?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Sarcasm doesn't fly here very well either. . . biggrin.png

Holy cow! I've been away too long. I'm kind of pink. Am I a person of color, too?

Black is actually the absence of colour, all ranges of the spectrum being absorbed. To a physicist, the only thing that is perfectly black is a hole, as nothing is reflected.

Black is actually the absence of colour, all ranges of the spectrum being absorbed. To a physicist, the only thing that is perfectly black is a hole, as nothing is reflected.

That's great news so if people refer to colored people, they are referring to anyone but a black person. So if blacks take offense they are totally wrong. would be great to see this used in a court case.

Oh dear ''politically incorrect'' shudder shudder and three hail mary's

I can't keep up with what I'm supposed to call someone in the states. Political correctness is one of the reasons I left. You can't say boo for fear of offending someone. Sigh.

With regards to the article, I imagine that once the officer realized the woman was there with her child and not just loitering, he no longer deemed her a nuisance. I doubt that it had to do with her being American. But, I've certainly been wrong before. This is Thailand after all.

It used to be called "respect" when you addressed a White American man politely.

But when other people started demanding equal respect, the White American man started calling it "politically correct".

It means Boohoohoo, I can't make derogatory racial slurs anymore like I used to because acting like a racist now is considered White Trash...

Edited by SiSePuede419

I can't keep up with what I'm supposed to call someone in the states. Political correctness is one of the reasons I left. You can't say boo for fear of offending someone. Sigh.

With regards to the article, I imagine that once the officer realized the woman was there with her child and not just loitering, he no longer deemed her a nuisance. I doubt that it had to do with her being American. But, I've certainly been wrong before. This is Thailand after all.

We had a black comedian in the UK, the stage name he gave himself ? Chalky White

It used to be called "repect" when you addressed a White American man politely.

But when other people started demanding equal repect, the White American man started calling it "politically correct".

It means Boohoohoo, I can't make derogatory racial slurs anymore like I used to because acting like a racist now is considered White Trash...

Repect for your spelling skills

The real Americans neither white than black !

The real Americans are Indians, like the Origines in Australia,

And their land were stolen by Brits and others !

To exclude any problems, they just killed mosts of them !!

If you look at the history, you'll see that First Nation tribes were stealing the land from each other for millenia before the Europeans ever got involved. Theft of their land, occasionally accompanied by torture and human sacrifices of the vanquished. Europeans weren't any meaner, they just happened to have more advanced weapons.

BTW, real Americans come in all colors, flavors and accents. Just like real Thais.... Never mind.

The decisions we make at some point in our lives:

To live in the land of nationalistic xenophobes; or

To live in the land of The Political Correct?

Humm, according to my passport stamps, my feet did the talking.

BTW, I thought "Negro", an acceptable term in the US vernacular when I was a youth, went out the window somewhere after the 1960s. I believe that "Negro" left my personal vocabulary after following Sly and the Family Stone, Jimmie Hendrix, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Issac Hayes, Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, and the list goes on -- individuals who had messages that transcended the status quo. "Negro", in my personal dictionary, got replaced with 'Bro' or 'Brother', (or dude, or friend, Lol). Is it PC to call an 'African-American', "Brother"? You know, in these sensitive times, it's difficult to know! We (Americans of Indo-European-Celtic-Asian decent) almost all need to have our own personal Political Correctness Advisor, don't you think? What a wonderfully Communistic inspired idea!!! I'm surprised that the progressives, left and right, haven't passed legislation yet.

There is a funny thing black people in the U.S. say ... white people's problems.

Meaning trivial stuff blown up when they have to deal with serious stuff.

Sorry, feeling "guilty" about being treated better than Africans in Thailand by a society well known for bizarre racial classifications ... these are white people's problems.

I don't even believe many black Americans are actually bothered by this. FAKE issue.

Exactly - but anything dealing with africans/the african diaspora seems to always be a big hit on TV.

The thread about targeting nigerians more than likely made some members climax, but this 'article' probably induces multiple orgasms without the effort.

It's a great way for members to express their opinions without all the 'pc crap' from the safety of their room.

It used to be called "repect" when you addressed a White American man politely.

But when other people started demanding equal repect, the White American man started calling it "politically correct".

Repect for your spelling skills

Mustn't be an Aretha Franklin fan. whistling.gif

The comments in this thread are very instructive. Next time a topic comes up about dual pricing or scams aimed at farang, I can let people know that they aren't being discriminated against, but they brought it on witn their own attitude and body language. And if they insist, I can just dismiss their complaints as "white people's problems."