AEC threat to Thai private schools

webfact

AEC threat to private schools
The Nation

Many at risk from fierce competition

BANGKOK: -- INCREASINGLY fierce competition from the upcoming Asean Economic Community (AEC) could drive between 10 and 30 per cent of Thai private schools out of business, a study has suggested.

Conducted by the Office of the Private Education Commission and the Nakhon Si Thammarat Rajabhat University, the study seeks to assess impacts from the upcoming AEC.

During the AEC era, Asean nations will liberalise their educational market.

According to the study, while international schools, demonstration schools under the supervision of universities, and Christian schools in Thailand boast high standards and look set to compete well in the AEC, many other schools on Thai soil are clearly not in the same position.

The study has thus concluded that a sizeable number of schools would find it hard to stay competitive and decide to call it quits.

The findings from the study were the highlight of an academic seminar yesterday.

Future Innovative Thailand Institute's president Surin Pitsuwan emphasised it was necessary for Thailand to improve its educational quality and bring its education system more on par with world standards.

"At the same time, efforts must [be made to] preserve Thai identity," said Surin, a former secretary- general of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, during a Cabinet meeting yesterday, urged agencies to improve higher secondary education so children will have vocational options such as hospitality services, commerce, tourism - to reduce the time they had to spend competing in academic exams.

He also suggested that private universities should adjust tuition fees so more students can study with them, graduate and get jobs. He said the Labour Ministry would keep a list of students who will soon graduate and it could be sent straight to the job market.

"This year, I also plan to have graduates - who cannot yet find a job - be trained in commerce, Asean Economic Community (AEC)-related services and other short-term courses in railways or water engineering," Prayut said.

Many companies were talking with the government about projects and were in agreement that any company investing in Thailand would use Thai labour, tools and materials.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/AEC-threat-to-private-schools-30261009.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-27

"At the same time, efforts must [be made to] preserve Thai identity," said Surin, a former secretary- general of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations."

And the Thai Identity is the 'No-Fail' policy...

What they are trying not to say is that the people will notice that these schools are not actually teaching the students anything useful.

But it doesn't really matter as long as there's a cerificate, diploma or degree to show the student passed with flying colours at learning nothing.

And how many water engineers does a country need? Tens of thousands of students graduating every year. Perhaps create inactive posts in water engineering for all the student without jobs!

"At the same time, efforts must [be made to] preserve Thai identity," said Surin, a former secretary- general of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

There you go again ... protectionism because you know you cannot compete in an open and fair market.

The first step should be removing the 'No Fail Policy'. Once that's achieved they can separate the wheat fro the chaff; unfortunately they know that the current education system generally produces chaff which is why the no fail policy exists.

I am sorry but this is rubbish. This is xenophobia and a typical response when competition could arise. This has been said for a few years and applied to international schools. the School owners are paranoid. If we take Bangkok Thai private schools and international schools have far to many and the market is saturated.

I believe that with schools and all other business sectors that Thailand should embrace the AEC. for schools standards might improve and the crap business practices often employed just may start to go away.

I really wish surveys with little credence would stop getting the publicity they do. As with most of them they are not worth the countless paper they are written on.

This is a straw man argument -- no one is suggesting that the Thai identity should be abolished, or unmade, or forgotten.

The problem is....lack of English skills. Period.

Who wants to bet that they won't introduce the 'we are not ready for competition' clause into ASEAN. They have been doing this since I arrived in Thailand 12 years ago to keep foreign competition out. Even now they are using the same excuse to stop foreign companies entering certain sectors.

You weren't ready 12 years ago Thailand (fair enough) but what's the BS excuse now, eh ? coffee1.gif

So how is this going to happen? Thais will leave these schools? Not likely. Foreigners will send their kids overseas. They can now. Or people will open new and better schools. That is extremely difficult.

Some middle-income Thais are placing their kids into English program Thai schools and then send them to Singapore from grade 6 or grade 9.

So how is this going to happen? Thais will leave these schools? Not likely. Foreigners will send their kids overseas. They can now. Or people will open new and better schools. That is extremely difficult.

Some middle-income Thais are placing their kids into English program Thai schools and then send them to Singapore from grade 6 or grade 9.

Not so easy, my friend's daughter who is an elite student waiting to go to university want to go study in Singapore. So I bring her my daughter primary school (chan por or around grade 1-3)English exercise books and she had problem even understanding the questions. Not to mention doing it. They'll have problems passing the entry exams.

The problems here is lack of quality teachers.I also noticed 6-7 years ago my daughter English teacher marked her homework and put 'fox' in red but after reading the sentence and asked my daughter I found out it was fog . I remarked her teacher 'fox' and asked her to show it to her teacher.Since then I bring her to study in Singapore till now.

Not so easy, my friend's daughter who is an elite student waiting to go to university want to go study in Singapore. So I bring her my daughter primary school (chan por or around grade 1-3)English exercise books and she had problem even understanding the questions. Not to mention doing it. They'll have problems passing the entry exams.

The problems here is lack of quality teachers.I also noticed 6-7 years ago my daughter English teacher marked her homework and put 'fox' in red but after reading the sentence and asked my daughter I found out it was fog . I remarked her teacher 'fox' and asked her to show it to her teacher.Since then I bring her to study in Singapore till now.

Never easy. But English program plus English tuitions would enable them to pass the entrance exams of Singapore, but they may be asked to drop a grade or two studying in Singapore govt schools.

One wonders if the AEC will bring about an epiphany in the kingdom, or force it further into nationalist denial and protectionism.

I fear it will be the latter. Does anyone really think Thailand will open it's doors to Foreigners intent on replacing Thai workers?

Perhaps if they spent less time indoctrinating the students about being 'Thai', how great it is being Thai, how great Thais are, and more time involving them in educational activities, the level as a whole might improve.

coffee1.gif

Who wants to bet that they won't introduce the 'we are not ready for competition' clause into ASEAN. They have been doing this since I arrived in Thailand 12 years ago to keep foreign competition out. Even now they are using the same excuse to stop foreign companies entering certain sectors.

You weren't ready 12 years ago Thailand (fair enough) but what's the BS excuse now, eh ? coffee1.gif

Brakes failed.

As mentioned, some schools are just repackaging the same old thing and selling it again. Schools are now starting to have International programs, English programs and other variations, but at the end of the day, a lot of these charge more money for a marginally better education.

I know one in which they have fewer students, but only two marginally and the cost difference is a lot.

I know of other programs where there are a few more lessons in English or science or math or whatever, but many of them are just gimmicks.

The country needs to fix it's broken education system, not put band aides on it and hope it gets better.

He also suggested that private universities should adjust tuition fees so more students can study with them, graduate and get jobs.

So, soon the government will get into the pricing of private schools too... same as hospitals...

Free market.... competition.... hmmmm, noooooo

TIT

That isn't going to close hundreds of Thai school. That represents 0.1%

Never easy. But English program plus English tuitions would enable them to pass the entrance exams of Singapore, but they may be asked to drop a grade or two studying in Singapore govt schools.

The Singapore govt isn't going to allow a tidal wave of education immigration into its govt system

The Singapore govt isn't going to allow a tidal wave of education immigration into its govt system

That would depends. AEC, after all, is about enhancing one's strengths and outsourcing on one's weaknesses.

Interesting how "competition" is seen as such a high value.

What does "competition" bring ???

Take a look at europe.

Who can "compete" with Germany in europe ?

No local economy can.

What happens ?

Germany is doing good and all others are slowly declining in living standards.

They all go broke.

At the end Germany will go broke because it will have to "support" all these countries.

The same will happen in ASEAN ... "protectionism" is the ONLY weapon a government has to

protect its people !!!

Without protectionism the corporations take over and the populations always pay the prize.

Look at the USA: 50 Mio people on food stamps ! The land of competition: Good for corporations, bad for the people !!!

That would depends. AEC, after all, is about enhancing one's strengths and outsourcing on one's weaknesses.

That is not what Thailand is about, and that is what matters if Thailand hopes to progress and not be left behind by other AEC nations, who's education system is of a far higher standard.

The last couple of sentences in the OP say it all, in a word "Protectionism"

From previous TV article "Thailand's Teflon Economy Is Imploding" by Joshua Kurlantzick on March 25, 2015:

Thailand ranks 55th out of 60 countries on the English Proficiency Index, the world’s major ranking of English-language skills. That is the lowest among Southeast Asian countries. This despite the fact that several other countries in Southeast Asia are far poorer than Thailand and have much less resources than Bangkok to help promote English education. As the Association of Southeast Asian Nations moves toward a single market in goods and services, English skills will be even more important for businesses that want to attract regional investment and for workers in a range of industries looking for opportunities throughout ASEAN."

AEC isn't the threat, Thai education is the threat.

As mentioned, some schools are just repackaging the same old thing and selling it again. Schools are now starting to have International programs, English programs and other variations, but at the end of the day, a lot of these charge more money for a marginally better education.

I know one in which they have fewer students, but only two marginally and the cost difference is a lot.

I know of other programs where there are a few more lessons in English or science or math or whatever, but many of them are just gimmicks.

The country needs to fix it's broken education system, not put band aides on it and hope it gets better.

As to your last sentence:

Yes you are right! We're going to fix it the Thai way asap. Let's create a couple more committees and hold meetings over the issue.

Edited by Lupatria

Interesting how "competition" is seen as such a high value.

What does "competition" bring ???

Greater efficiency.

The role of government policy should be to redirect a part of that efficiency dividend produced by competition back to the people in general. Not to create environments in which inefficient operations thrive.

Edited by cocopops