Effective Today - Only Single-Entry Non-O based on Dependents in Savannakhet

In Savannakhet, just went through Thai consulate. I have had 3 years of non-immigrant O visas based only on my dependent child, not married, and today they will only give a single-entry visa.

I argued nicely for 15 minutes and told them I would post it for every foreigner to see at ThaiVisa. They understood. The woman's hands were tied she said because they have a new Consule? Consulate? in charge who stated, there will be no more one-year multi-entry visas if based only on dependent child. Must have marriage to get 1 year multi non-o.

So, that was 1 hour ago. Maybe others will confirm this.

I am not 100% sure this is the new law, or they were just in a VERY foul mood. It might, MIGHT have something to do with the jackass foreigner in front of me that lost his mind at them for telling him he needed to have a paper faxed over that he didn't have.

Keep your wits about you - even when told something that F's up your life. You're going nowhere at all to get upset at them, and you screw it up for any foreigners behind you.

IMHO. lol.

Hope this is just my experience and someone else can get through with the multi. Post it if you did!

As said nothing new.

They normally will only do them for being the parent of a Thai child if you are the legal father of the child and you have your entire family with you when you apply to prove you are living together as a family (de facto marriage).

I suspect it is the first time you tried getting one in Savannakhet.

can fathers get extensions of stay for looking after their children if wife dies or disappears?

Yes, they can.

In case of disapearing it would be more problematic but looking after your legal child is a reason for an extension, with the same financial requirements.

• Like 1

can fathers get extensions of stay for looking after their children if wife dies or disappears?

Yes

An extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai can be obtained by a unmarried parent (divorce or death also).

• Like 1

Yes

An extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai can be obtained by a unmarried parent (divorce or death also).

I was told by a friend that Korat Immigration refused his 1 year extension of stay based on being the father of a Thai child when he tried to use the 40k pm option. They told him that he must have 400k in the bank.

The officer said that the 40k pm option was only available for an extension of stay based on marriage. Is this really the rule now?

Yes

I was told by a friend that Korat Immigration refused his 1 year extension of stay based on being the father of a Thai child when he tried to use the 40k pm option. They told him that he must have 400k in the bank.

The officer said that the 40k pm option was only available for an extension of stay based on marriage. Is this really the rule now?

The police order still states it is 400k baht in a Thai bank or 40k baht income. There have been no changes.

Just nonsense from an immigration officer.

See clause 2.18 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay.

I applied for a Non Imm O multi based on marriage there on Tuesday. I'd read on here about the locals jumping the queue at collection time, and sure enough some tried it on but I'm quite good at spreading myself. One girl managed to skip past about a dozen people to third place as the gate opened and I had to admire her skill, but there was a chap inside who sent people to the back of the queue if they tried to run to the front, so they are obviously aware of the problem. Actually, people are soon channeled into a narrow line once inside so there is no possibility of a scrum at the window.

It was my second time getting my visa in Savannakhet, and once again it couldn't have been easier. Only one person in front of me in the queue, 30 seconds checking my documents - passport, application form with 2 photos attached, signed photocopy of main passport page, signed photocopy of wife's ID and house certificate, original marriage certificate (returned), copy on one sheet of both sides of the marriage certificate (pause for breath) and 5000 baht. I didn't get there at opening time, so avoided any possibility of a long queue that way. Took about three or four minutes to collect the next day.

As for accommodation, one or two others have mentioned the Avalon Residence, and it is the place that I anyway picked out with an internet search. It's a good choice, and will be even better once they install their lift. Very new and very clean, almost sterile, with a small cafe attached, and two minutes walk from the bus station. On the subject of walking, some have mentioned that is possible to walk from the bus station to the consulate. Maybe it is, but I'd estimate it's a brisk 15 minutes in hot and sometimes humid weather. I'd venture that those who would prefer to save 150 baht on a tuk tuk who will take you there and wait for you and take you back to the bus station are the same kind of people who would try to bargain down the price of a plate of noodles. Personally, I prefer comfort but others might prefer the 150 baht in their pocket.

• Like 2

Thanks ubonjoe for confirming what I thought, they are making it up as they go along!

Korat has also stopped issuing letters of residence, for which they were charging 500 Baht. They say you have to get a yellow Tabien Bahn now. Not an easy task in the Amphur where I live.

Hello,

Walking as anything that can train your heart and body is not made only for people who want to save 150 thb.

Thank you for the hotel name, I guess it's this one ?

https://www.agoda.com/avalon-residence/hotel/savannakhet-la.html

So if I understand it's closer to bus station than consulate ?

Thank you for your report.

I applied for a Non Imm O multi based on marriage there on Tuesday. I'd read on here about the locals jumping the queue at collection time, and sure enough some tried it on but I'm quite good at spreading myself. One girl managed to skip past about a dozen people to third place as the gate opened and I had to admire her skill, but there was a chap inside who sent people to the back of the queue if they tried to run to the front, so they are obviously aware of the problem. Actually, people are soon channeled into a narrow line once inside so there is no possibility of a scrum at the window.

It was my second time getting my visa in Savannakhet, and once again it couldn't have been easier. Only one person in front of me in the queue, 30 seconds checking my documents - passport, application form with 2 photos attached, signed photocopy of main passport page, signed photocopy of wife's ID and house certificate, original marriage certificate (returned), copy on one sheet of both sides of the marriage certificate (pause for breath) and 5000 baht. I didn't get there at opening time, so avoided any possibility of a long queue that way. Took about three or four minutes to collect the next day.

As for accommodation, one or two others have mentioned the Avalon Residence, and it is the place that I anyway picked out with an internet search. It's a good choice, and will be even better once they install their lift. Very new and very clean, almost sterile, with a small cafe attached, and two minutes walk from the bus station. On the subject of walking, some have mentioned that is possible to walk from the bus station to the consulate. Maybe it is, but I'd estimate it's a brisk 15 minutes in hot and sometimes humid weather. I'd venture that those who would prefer to save 150 baht on a tuk tuk who will take you there and wait for you and take you back to the bus station are the same kind of people who would try to bargain down the price of a plate of noodles. Personally, I prefer comfort but others might prefer the 150 baht in their pocket.

I'd venture that those who would prefer to save 150 baht on a tuk tuk who will take you there and wait for you and take you back to the bus station are the same kind of people who would try to bargain down the price of a plate of noodles. Personally, I prefer comfort but others might prefer the 150 baht in their pocket.

some people like to walk because its good for you and keeps you fit, not everything is about money wai2.gif

• Like 2

Last year the Thai consulate in Savanaket wanted to give me only 3 months as well as my name is in the Birth certificate but they said they can not give me one year. They advised me to fly back to my home country and it will be no problem to get one year. I am next month off again to Germany to get a new one year O visa.

How funny are these people, they like to make jokes and some people trust them ! hahaha

Last year the Thai consulate in Savanaket wanted to give me only 3 months as well as my name is in the Birth certificate but they said they can not give me one year. They advised me to fly back to my home country and it will be no problem to get one year. I am next month off again to Germany to get a new one year O visa.

Why would you pay 150 bath if the normal rate is 30 ?

The distance between bus station and the embassy is 750 meters, slow walk will get you there in 10 minutes.

The annoyance at the embassy is mostly from people that comes unprepared, missing documents , no application form and then start to discuss at the window...

And those are not asian...

Once your papers are in , you receive a numbered ticket, for the next day to pickup your passport.

You can try Penang for a multi non-o for visiting family, without marriage. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754146-multiple-non-o-visa-run-penang-for-visiting-family-success/

Now for OP, did you have any court/district papers that declare you are the legal father? And they still refuse you?