Here is a list of stuff I want to eat, is Thailand the right place ?

popje

First, let me start by saying I will go in pretty much every country in South Asia, including Vietnam and China, I know Vietnam is known for these kind of food but so is Thailand, so I am looking for the authentic thing, not a tourist attraction or overpriced food, in other words, if its not eaten by Thailand natives, I won't eat it. If you have the exact location and/or price of where I can get it, that would be awesome.

Let's start by stuff I have never eaten

-Alligator/Crocodile

-Snake

-Snake blood and beaten heart

-Rat

-Dog

-Cat

-Balut

-Century egg

-Lion/Tiger or any kind of rare game meat you can think of

And stuff I've already eaten but absolutely want to find in Thailand/South Asia

-Snails (is there something like this in Thailand or should I wait to get in Vietnam ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqagaz2WHxU)

-Frog Legs

-Beef Jerky

-Prosciutto/Jamon or any kind of cured meat

-Olives

Thanks and feel free to suggest anything that isn't on the list, just not seafood

Edited by popje

You want to eat Lion, Tiger or any other rare meat. Odd. Why would you want to eat endangered animals? There are almost no Tigers left in Thailand because arse wipes in China( and you also) want to eat them and use their body parts for medicine. You should just stick to Olives they are more healthy.

Edited by CNXBKKMAN

You want to eat Lion, Tiger or any other rare meat. Odd. Why would you want to eat endangered animals? There are almost no Tigers left in Thailand because arse wipes in China( and you also) want to eat them and use their body parts for medicine. You should just stick to Olives they are more healthy.

Here in Canada/USA you can buy game meat online, tiger, lion, bear, raccoon, coyote, anything you can think of, they're farm raised animals and technically not endangered species just like every chicken and pork you eat, but they are expensive as hell, I want to try eating them, I would even try human flesh if I could, but trust me, I wouldn't encourage eating wild endangered species, I don't even want to go to that world famous tiger temple because I think the tigers here are maltreated (they are) and drugged (not sure). I am just a big amateur of trying new food.

Edited by popje

-Alligator/Crocodile Not native. Occasionally seen in supermarket freezer cabinets. Also available in restaurants near some crocodile farms.

-Snake Widely available in "forest" restaurants

-Snake blood and beaten heart Not traditional. Easier to find in Vietnam.

-Rat Sold in roadside stalls, particularly in Ayutthaya and other rice farming provinces.

-Dog Available in restaurant in the North East, particularly Sakhon Nakon.

-Cat Not eaten here AFAIK.

-Balut Available but rare. Much more a Philippines thing.

-Century egg Preserved eggs available in every supermarket. However, I think you'd have to go to Chinatown to get century eggs since they're a Chinese delicacy.

-Lion/Tiger or any kind of rare game meat you can think of Not available AFAIK.

-Snails (is there something like this in Thailand or should I wait to get in Vietnam ? https://www.youtube....h?v=Zqagaz2WHxU) Available, but not popular here since they're associated with living in toilets.

-Frog Legs Available in many restaurants.

-Beef Jerky Semidried pork, beef and buffalo widely available.

-Prosciutto/Jamon or any kind of cured meat Western imports widely available. Local copies less so.

-Olives Western imports widely available. "Chinese olives" are also available in most supermarkets. They're not real olives.

"

-Alligator/Crocodile

-Snake

-Snake blood and beaten heart

-Rat

-Dog

-Cat

-Balut

-Lion/Tiger or any kind of rare game meat you can think of"

almost none of those are typically eaten by Thais. You might find farmers or real rednecks in the NE that eat dog and snake but not in central Thailand.

I don't know any culture in Asia that eats cats unless starving.

Korea was very common a while ago to have dog soup Bo Shing Tang, but most places have been shut down as they beat the dogs to death but still can be found.

I have never seen dog served in rest. in Thailand but again, I don't go looking for it. Probably in Isaan.

Lion: this is Asia not Africa so No you won't find Lion.

Tiger, would be illegal to eat but I am certain that there are some corrupt SOB's out there selling it. I really have never heard anyone eating it though.

In vietnam I saw snake liquor and a friend bought a bottle of rodent liquor. Was crazy expensive though.

Snake and snake blood can be found in vietnam, cambodia and Laos.

Century eggs are common and often served with kaothom. Very salty and never eaten whole. Take small portions at a time with your rice.

I had to look up balut, never heard that name, but duck embryos I have seen at markets. More common in China than Thailand but still can find.

The problem is that most of these aren't common rest. cuisines. I am certain if you search real hard you can find some out of the way place that has something like this.

There is a rest. in Vietnam that specializes in these type of requests including a lot of scorpions and other insects.

Really sounds like you have something to prove though. "Hey everyone look at me I went to SE asia and at all this weird crap." Oh yeah, all Thai people love cat, dog rat, bat , snake. We also fry dog shit wrapped in wontons.

You really will sound crazy walking up to people asking for these kind of things.

I've seen puppies, snakes, and turtles (for consumption) at several of the fresh markets throughout TH. Snakes are fairly common and might be served at a few of the restaurants, although I've never seen it on a menu. You're definitely gonna have to prepare the dog yourself. Alligator and crocodile is fairly common here. I see em both on a lot of Japanese menus. Frog legs are available at many Thai restaurants. Century eggs are really popular.

-Alligator/Crocodile Not native. Occasionally seen in supermarket freezer cabinets. Also available in restaurants near some crocodile farms.

-Snake Widely available in "forest" restaurants

-Snake blood and beaten heart Not traditional. Easier to find in Vietnam.

-Rat Sold in roadside stalls, particularly in Ayutthaya and other rice farming provinces.

-Dog Available in restaurant in the North East, particularly Sakhon Nakon.

-Cat Not eaten here AFAIK.

-Balut Available but rare. Much more a Philippines thing.

-Century egg Preserved eggs available in every supermarket. However, I think you'd have to go to Chinatown to get century eggs since they're a Chinese delicacy.

-Lion/Tiger or any kind of rare game meat you can think of Not available AFAIK.

-Snails (is there something like this in Thailand or should I wait to get in Vietnam ? https://www.youtube....h?v=Zqagaz2WHxU) Available, but not popular here since they're associated with living in toilets.

-Frog Legs Available in many restaurants.

-Beef Jerky Semidried pork, beef and buffalo widely available.

-Prosciutto/Jamon or any kind of cured meat Western imports widely available. Local copies less so.

-Olives Western imports widely available. "Chinese olives" are also available in most supermarkets. They're not real olives.

Snails are available in every farm pond in Isan,

Thanks everyone for your answers, sorry I cant reply to everyone. I now have a very good idea on where and how to find these.

"

Really sounds like you have something to prove though. "Hey everyone look at me I went to SE asia and at all this weird crap." Oh yeah, all Thai people love cat, dog rat, bat , snake. We also fry dog shit wrapped in wontons.

You really will sound crazy walking up to people asking for these kind of things.

I thought I might sound like that, but it is not the case, I just want to try new stuff and if there one place in the world where I can try these, its South Asia, I don't want some local to kill his dog for me so I can eat it just to make money, I don't want to eat endengered species in highly illegal hidden restaurants. I also don't want to eat tourist stuff that locals don't eat. I don't think you guys munch on insects and scorpions do you ? I also want to shoot a cow with a rocket launcher, I've heard its possible, na I am just kidding. I am not going to ask everyone there about that stuff to not look crazy like you said, that's why I asked here first.

I would love it if you just vacationed in your own country. Eat poutine and stuff like that.

That's not a nice thing to say, I wonder if I'll be able to find poutine in thailand.

When I was in Beijing last year there was a neighborhood that sold scorpions grilled on a stick.

In Vietnam there is a snake farm where you choose your snake and they cook it for you. Typically soups.

Vietnam and Cambodia are places you want to go not Thailand. Thailand isn't filled with exotic weird things. I know you were kidding about rocket launcher but again that was Cambodia and not Thailand.Not even sure you still can do that stuff there.

If you want to eat what the locals eat even in the remote areas nothing on your list will do.

Here is a list of things that most tourists don't eat that locals prefer

There is a soup with larvae from a bamboo that is common, eat salty fish called Pla rah, eat nam prik gapee (fermented shrimp paste dip) with fried eggplant and acacia herbs in eggs, laab dip (raw bloody meat with roasted rice powder), raw Jack fruit curry (gaeng Kanoon), kanoom jeen (a rice noodle boiled in a spicy soup with congealed pork's blood), gaeng hok (leftovers mixed with some herbs and noodles, gaeng kah (an herbal curry), gaeng som (a sour curry), gaeng pak wan (a very herbal and pungeant curry),

Chinese neighborhoods, you can eat chicken feet soup.

Most markets will have some crickets, beetles, larvae and other insect things. I don't touch that stuff, but a few friends enjoy them. Redneck foods.

Drunkards like to eat these tiny shrimp that are alive and you swallow them,

If you want to look like a village elder, you can chew on beetlenut leaves and rot your gums and spit nasty red juice on the ground.

When I was in Beijing last year there was a neighborhood that sold scorpions grilled on a stick.

In Vietnam there is a snake farm where you choose your snake and they cook it for you. Typically soups.

Vietnam and Cambodia are places you want to go not Thailand. Thailand isn't filled with exotic weird things. I know you were kidding about rocket launcher but again that was Cambodia and not Thailand.Not even sure you still can do that stuff there.

If you want to eat what the locals eat even in the remote areas nothing on your list will do.

Here is a list of things that most tourists don't eat that locals prefer

There is a soup with larvae from a bamboo that is common, eat salty fish called Pla rah, eat nam prik gapee (fermented shrimp paste dip) with fried eggplant and acacia herbs in eggs, laab dip (raw bloody meat with roasted rice powder), raw Jack fruit curry (gaeng Kanoon), kanoom jeen (a rice noodle boiled in a spicy soup with congealed pork's blood), gaeng hok (leftovers mixed with some herbs and noodles, gaeng kah (an herbal curry), gaeng som (a sour curry), gaeng pak wan (a very herbal and pungeant curry),

Chinese neighborhoods, you can eat chicken feet soup.

Most markets will have some crickets, beetles, larvae and other insect things. I don't touch that stuff, but a few friends enjoy them. Redneck foods.

Drunkards like to eat these tiny shrimp that are alive and you swallow them,

If you want to look like a village elder, you can chew on beetlenut leaves and rot your gums and spit nasty red juice on the ground.

Good post, thanks. Yeah, I guess I'll wait for vietnam and cambodia for most of these foods, I think the rocket launcher thing is a myth, I've heard about it a few times but from no one that actually done it, I am pretty sure everything is possible with enough cash though.

About these things you said that locals eat but not tourists, there a few interesting one, I am not a big fan of insects though, I tried them, its okay, I would eat them in a survival situation but don't count on me to pay for that. I am also intolerant to sea food, its a shame, I know, so apart from some fish sauce in a meal, I can't eat any. I will try the rest, thanks for telling me the names in thai, hopefully I'll pronounce them right.

So, I can't interest you in a nice Caesar salad then?

Why not

Edited by popje

OP, one local delicacy you should consider is tadpoles in phak bung. The stems of phak bung (which are hollow) are placed with tadpoles in a pot full of broth. The liquid is then put over a flame. As it warms up the tadpoles swim into the phak bung stems, and eventually die there.

The dish is also made with small fishes.

And I'm not sure if eel is weird enough for you, but here they do skin it alive, which adds to the ick factor.

OP, one local delicacy you should consider is tadpoles in phak bung. The stems of phak bung (which are hollow) are placed with tadpoles in a pot full of broth. The liquid is then put over a flame. As it warms up the tadpoles swim into the phak bung stems, and eventually die there.

The dish is also made with small fishes.

And I'm not sure if eel is weird enough for you, but here they do skin it alive, which adds to the ick factor.

Wow that tadpoles thing is really interesting, I must try that, like I said in a previous post, I am intolerant to seafood, that include fish, basically anything from the sea, but frog legs, alligator, animals from a lake/swamp is fine, so I am not sure my stomach will tolerate the eels, might give it a try though.

Isaan if full of "unconventional" food. Here is just a sampling, including a tadpole dish. "Jungle" or rural markets often display plants and animals harvested from the surrounding area. One of these markets is located on Hwy 210 roughly mid-way between Nong Wua so and Nong Bua Lam Pu. Not far from the entrance to the 150 Million Year Old Shell Museum.

http://www.tourchoice.com/blog/strange-foods-northeastern-thai-isan/

Isaan if full of "unconventional" food. Here is just a sampling, including a tadpole dish. "Jungle" or rural markets often display plants and animals harvested from the surrounding area. One of these markets is located on Hwy 210 roughly mid-way between Nong Wua so and Nong Bua Lam Pu. Not far from the entrance to the 150 Million Year Old Shell Museum.

http://www.tourchoice.com/blog/strange-foods-northeastern-thai-isan/

Thanks ! I'll definitely go there when I get the chance

wow...so you have really tried beef jerky AND olives........how about sand?

It wasn't a list of my achievements, I just eat beef jerky and olives daily, so I was wondering how easy is it to find these in thailand.

You had an interesting discussion topic until "Tiger" appeared on your list; trolling or are you really that ignorant?

http://www.cites.org/eng/gallery/species/mammal/tiger.html

Read this and go away and have a quiet think to yourself for a while.

To be completely honest, I might have been a bit far and I am indeed a bit ignorant, however, I know a place that sell ANY kind of game meat online, they are just extremely pricey; http://www.exoticmeatmarkets.com/, so if there was something similar in thailand, I am sure it would be much cheaper and I wouldn't have to order online, so why not ask ?

I would love it if you just vacationed in your own country. Eat poutine and stuff like that.

That's not a nice thing to say, I wonder if I'll be able to find poutine in thailand.

Snack Bar in Buglampoo and Fatty's in Din Daeng.