Here is a list of stuff I want to eat, is Thailand the right place ?

popje

I would love it if you just vacationed in your own country. Eat poutine and stuff like that.

That's not a nice thing to say, I wonder if I'll be able to find poutine in thailand.

Snack Bar in Buglampoo and Fatty's in Din Daeng.

Can you please elaborate ?

If you really want to eat unusual foods just go to markets and try things. The more interesting things will be things you never heard of. For instance you keep talking about frog legs. Thais, at least in my area, don't eat frog legs. They eat the whole frog chopped up. Most of my favorite foods are things I never knew existed before a Thai person shared some of their food with me.

The rat....

I've seen them advertised on the highways heading north out of Bangkok, BBQ rat. Has anyone tried it? If so, what's it like? Cheap and my wife refused the opportunity when we drove through, next time I'm keen though.

• 3 weeks later...

Try seafood if you want exotic. Asians eat things that you would never have thought edible. Go to a coastal area and find a wet market or a night market and point, point, point. Sea cucumbers, sea worms, sea urchin roe, fish swim bladders. If they can eat it, you can eat it! Only your mind limits your stomach.

Edited by Pacificperson

At the markets, look for the people who (excuse me generalising) are not dressed up in nice clothes....these may be country people come into town to sell.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a stall of a curry merchant....pretty ho-hum and normal, but the lady was obviously not at home in the city, so I took a closer look... "gaeng nok" (curried bird...no particular bird named), gaeng ling (curried monkey), gaeng gwaang (deer), and gaeng gra-rok (squirrel), all lined up in pots.

I tried the monkey. Ho-hum...nothing to rave about...may as well have been sold as "curry tough meat".

gaeng ling (curried monkey)

I tried the monkey. Ho-hum...nothing to rave about...may as well have been sold as "curry tough meat".

I don't for a moment believe you ate curried monkey. Kaeng ling refers to a variety of pitcher plant. See https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%87

First, let me start by saying I will go in pretty much every country in South Asia, including Vietnam and China, I know Vietnam is known for these kind of food but so is Thailand, so I am looking for the authentic thing, not a tourist attraction or overpriced food, in other words, if its not eaten by Thailand natives, I won't eat it. If you have the exact location and/or price of where I can get it, that would be awesome.

Let's start by stuff I have never eaten

-Alligator/Crocodile

-Snake

-Snake blood and beaten heart

-Rat

-Dog

-Cat

-Balut

-Century egg

-Lion/Tiger or any kind of rare game meat you can think of

And stuff I've already eaten but absolutely want to find in Thailand/South Asia

-Snails (is there something like this in Thailand or should I wait to get in Vietnam ?

)

-Frog Legs

-Beef Jerky

-Prosciutto/Jamon or any kind of cured meat

-Olives

Thanks and feel free to suggest anything that isn't on the list, just not seafood

You disgust me. How about you chop off your own weiner and eat that so you don't procreate..

This thread should be locked since it advocates illegal activities.

gaeng ling (curried monkey)

I don't for a moment believe you ate curried monkey. Kaeng ling refers to a variety of pitcher plant. See https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%87

I can assure you I ate curried monkey.

Pad pet kaang more properly, my wife tells me. At the time when they were discussing it, my wife asked, "gaeng arai, nan?" and the reply was "ling"...so it was "gaeng ling" in my mind.

If you are really skeptical, and if it would add weight to my claim, I can (in PM) link you to my Facebook page where I told my friends about it, about 2-3 months ago. And the entire story about the curry vendor is absolutely true.

I am down South, if that adds anything to the story.

But suit yourself.

Edited by Seastallion

At the markets, look for the people who (excuse me generalising) are not dressed up in nice clothes....these may be country people come into town to sell.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a stall of a curry merchant....pretty ho-hum and normal, but the lady was obviously not at home in the city, so I took a closer look... "gaeng nok" (curried bird...no particular bird named), gaeng ling (curried monkey), gaeng gwaang (deer), and gaeng gra-rok (squirrel), all lined up in pots.

Wow, this really sounds like the kind of thing I'd want to try, in what city where you exactly ?

Better yet, go to a coastal area and find a guide who wants to test your limits. The ultimate complement was paid to me by an older Chinese couple who told my wife "your husband is amazing, he eats anything."

I'll try to find one, thanks

First, let me start by saying I will go in pretty much every country in South Asia, including Vietnam and China, I know Vietnam is known for these kind of food but so is Thailand, so I am looking for the authentic thing, not a tourist attraction or overpriced food, in other words, if its not eaten by Thailand natives, I won't eat it. If you have the exact location and/or price of where I can get it, that would be awesome.

Let's start by stuff I have never eaten

-Alligator/Crocodile

-Snake

-Snake blood and beaten heart

-Rat

-Dog

-Cat

-Balut

-Century egg

-Lion/Tiger or any kind of rare game meat you can think of

And stuff I've already eaten but absolutely want to find in Thailand/South Asia

-Snails (is there something like this in Thailand or should I wait to get in Vietnam ?

)

-Frog Legs

-Beef Jerky

-Prosciutto/Jamon or any kind of cured meat

-Olives

Thanks and feel free to suggest anything that isn't on the list, just not seafood

You disgust me. How about you chop off your own weiner and eat that so you don't procreate..

This thread should be locked since it advocates illegal activities.

If I had a dying limb to be amputated, I'd certainly ask to keep it so I can eat it, I wouldn't mind a weiner either, not mine though, I care about mine.

There nothing in this thread that is illegal, at least in my country, I did meant lion not tiger though, but still, why wouldn't people eat tiger if they were raised in a farm, just like pork, chicken and beef that you eat all the time...

I don't want to break any law, I wouldn't eat anything that isn't farm raised and/or illegal to eat. I am just a big fan of trying new stuff to eat and I won't have a second chance after going to east asia.

I am sorry if I offended anyone (it seems like I did) but if there anything wrong with what I want to eat and you have good arguments against it, go ahead and change my mind.

I won't ride any elephants because I know they are maltreated and its not good for them, I won't go to a tiger zoo because I know they are drugged and fed with boiled chicken everyday

I do care about that stuff, I just don't understand why wanting to eat a tiger/lion or any kind or rare meat would make me a monster.

Edited by popje

Wow, this really sounds like the kind of thing I'd want to try, in what city where you exactly ?

Hatyai. And despite the doubt expressed, it's true. Not really sure why I was doubted...perhaps by what I called it. Never mind.

• 5 weeks later...

just for amusement, exotic, pleasure = kill innocent animals

if u are in a jungle then do eat snake, alligator, cats and lions if you can kill them

but only for pleasure is like not noble, against bushido

but thats why im vegan i mean pork chicken and cows are not needed for survival, and specially the way they are threated a living hell life..

i would kill for survival but compassion and justice are important for me thats why i would not eat alligator, cats, pork, cows, lions etc just for pleasure

I would actually pay to see you to eat the following.

1. stray dogs in my neighborhood

2. the ten cats who crap in my garden daily

3. the rats hiding down the street drains near the market I shop in.

4. at least half the snakes.

You could open a fast food franchise and call it MacVarmints

Edited by slipperylobster

Some of you do lead sheltered lives. Driving from Saraburi up to Chiang Mai there are many road side places selling snake and rat. Here in Isaan there are bees larvae, ant larvae, blood in dinky little plastic bags. The brown ones next to them are cow shit. Yes they are. The green ones are bile. Chickens feet, frogs Iincluding the legs) and almost every part of the pig are available in Makro. When the kids come home from school and there is no food, they may go 'hunting' for frogs, rats, snakes any kind of fish of any size, crane birds, any small birds, cats, dogs, road kill. I have tried everything once and that was exotic enough for me. Scorpions? Have seen them ready to eat, I passed on that one. How about the grubs that hatch out where cows have shat in the fields? A couple of people in the village do that in the season. I won't go into the weird tasting stuff they pull out of hedges and claim to be 'aroi'.

I suggest the OP tries killing and butchering a pig or two before he starts drooling over exotic, decadent snacks

I know just the place you can visit to try all your animals on the list ...

You can hunt them at your leisure ... then try them on the BBQ ...

I'll drop you off there in the morning ..... then you call me when your ready to come out ... because it's in a big cage and I need to unlock the door.

If I don't hear from you I'll assume one of the animals wanted to try human flesh ... whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Snake: there are restaurants serving cobra here one in Bang Na and I I remeber correctly at at the back of Ragamagala stadium used to be a place.

Crocodiles are native to Thailand (one post said they weren't): the crocodile farm in Samut Pakarn

Balut: there is a Thai version but the eggs are cooked before the embryo develops

Dog: good bet some of the places selling moo ping are selling dog (the horse races on Flores in Indonesia sell dog meat)

Cat: to many Thais these would be off limit according to my missus. Something to do with monks and rain (? Things get lost in translation)

Crocodiles are native to Thailand (one post said they weren't): the crocodile farm in Samut Pakarn There's even a crocodile species named Crocodylus siamensis

Balut: there is a Thai version but the eggs are cooked before the embryo develops Surely it's not balut if there's no embryo. Are you thinking of preserved/salted eggs? Balut isn't salted/preserved.

Dog: good bet some of the places selling moo ping are selling dog I rather doubt it. Dog meat is more expensive than pork. Wouldn't make economic sense. Also, dog meat has a very distinctive taste and texture - nothing like pork.

The egg doesn't have the embryo. But it's not far off. Definitely not preserved

I'm really struggling to understand what you're referring to. If an egg isn't fertilised and isn't preserved in any way, surely it's just a regular boiled egg. And if that's the case, why compare it to balut? Do you have the Thai name of this type of egg?

It's a fertilised duck egg but the embryo isn't there like in balut. In issan and Lao it's called Khai Khao

Khai Khao (ไข่ข้าว) has the embryo. (See, for example, http://www.khiewchanta.com/archives/ingredients/meats-fish-eggs/foetal-boiled-eggs-khai-khao-1.html ).

Do you perhaps mean Khai Nao (ไข่เน่า) which are boiled, rotten eggs?

Your pic is khai Khao. Fertilisation has taken place. But the embryo is has not developed in its Philippine or Vietnamese cousin so no baby bird is there. Just blood vessels.

If you like unusual food try to find Mok Huak. Make sure it's got Pla Dek to get the full effect.

Your pic is khai Khao. Fertilisation has taken place. But the embryo is has not developed in its Philippine or Vietnamese cousin so no baby bird is there. Just blood vessels.

Thanks. I finally understand.