Books specific to Teaching in Thailand

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this thread has already been started, but I have a genuine interest so here it goes.

What books have you found that are SPECIFIC to teaching English in Thailand?

The first one I found is Teaching English in Thailand: A Practical System that I got here - http://thailandteaching.org - it's on Amazon as well. Ajarn Phil put a good word in for this one - http://www.ajarn.com/ajarn-street/ar...ssential-reads

The next one I found is Teaching English to Thai Learners: A Task Based Approach for Effective Classroom Instruction that I got from a link in a Facebook group (sorry I don't have it anymore). You have to download it through some sort of Thai app called MEB and it's a pain in the butt, but I still recommend checking it out.

Both of these are published and available in Asia Books bookstores as well if you prefer a hard copy.

These are the best two I could find. Do you have any others that you recommend along these same lines? There are some others I previewed on Amazon that are more like memoirs or travel brochures and that's not what I'm looking for. I think I'm due for some professional development, as I'm sure you're aware that doesn't really exist here in Thailand so we must take it upon ourselves to hone our teaching skills. adrian.gif

I definitely reckon to read "Private Dancer" for all male teachers. thumbsup.gif

Ha! Actually someone recommended this to me in the office. I imagine it would be a good idea to read this if you plan on getting involved with those Thai broads of easy virtue. www.livingthai.org and www.stayinginthailand.com also give a lot fair warning with regards to the fast women of the red light district.

What about teaching books? Back on topic please? wink.png

Sorry but your question seems more like an advertisement to promote those books.

Why would you need books specific to Thailand?

No need to be sorry. Interesting that you would say that and I understand your concern, but I have no affiliation. These literally are the two best Thailand teaching books I've found. I've already read them, so I'm wondering if there are others out there like them. I figured by posting in the "Teaching in Thailand Forum" I might get some recommendations. As to the question, "why would you need books specific to Thailand?" The answer is quite simple really - I am teaching in Thailand.

I did make the same post in the Ajarn Forum and I copy and pasted it here because I didn't get any responses. Perhaps that made it look fishy?

Edited by typ123

Good lord, what an awfully boring post! What happened to teachers adopting the "mai bpen rai attitude" and chalking it up to the game? cheesy.gif

I don't recall any books specifically related to teaching in Thailand but I just read "Watching the Thais" by Tom Tuohy. Pretty good read on Thai culture and its quirks. The only book I have that I use for teaching is "How to Teach English" by Jeremy Harmer. Picked it up at Dasa used books. Maybe give the used book stores a gander in your area? Let us know what you find.

wai.gif

Good lord, what an awfully boring post! What happened to teachers adopting the "mai bpen rai attitude" and chalking it up to the game? cheesy.gif

I don't recall any books specifically related to teaching in Thailand but I just read "Watching the Thais" by Tom Tuohy. Pretty good read on Thai culture and its quirks. The only book I have that I use for teaching is "How to Teach English" by Jeremy Harmer. Picked it up at Dasa used books. Maybe give the used book stores a gander in your area? Let us know what you find.

wai.gif

So what you're implying is that making an effort to become a better teacher in Thailand is a worthless endeavor? Maybe it is, but I'm not trying to save Thai education, I'm just trying to make my days a little easier and my lessons more rewarding. 55

Watching the Thais. I feel like this book should be titled Watching the Farang by the looks of the cover. Thanks for the suggestion! Cheers

wai.gif

So what you're implying is that making an effort to become a better teacher in Thailand is a worthless endeavor? Maybe it is, but I'm not trying to save Thai education, I'm just trying to make my days a little easier and my lessons more rewarding. 55

Watching the Thais. I feel like this book should be titled Watching the Farang by the looks of the cover. Thanks for the suggestion! Cheers

Yes, that is exactly what I'm implying! Don't say I didn't warn you...

To be honest, good on you mate for reading books about teaching in Thailand. I don't suspect too many teachers here actually try to improve their methods, but choose rather to complain about why theirs aren't working. The latter has been my tendency unfortunately.