Thai govt revokes Thaksin's passports, citing 'damaging' interview

webfact

Personally I don't think this is a smart move. He is now an exile who was overthrown by an illegal military coup who will spouting the charges were political etc etc. He will now take the gloves off as he can play to a Worldwide stage now he is an 'exile'. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's aetting up a government in exile. Prayuth has totally played into Thaksin's hands now. Silly person, Thailand and it's junta will now really be under the international spotlight.

Ha ha ha ha - hilarious.

Oh - wait, are you being serious ?. Thaksin has set himself up for Les Majeste and lost his Thai passports (and a huge amount of his precious 'face' ) under the hope the Junta will cave in under pressure soon-to-come from the rest of the world ?.

What a cunning plan !. Nobody else saw that coming except you.

You must be very clever.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't think this is a smart move. He is now an exile who was overthrown by an illegal military coup who will spouting the charges were political etc etc. He will now take the gloves off as he can play to a Worldwide stage now he is an 'exile'. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's aetting up a government in exile. Prayuth has totally played into Thaksin's hands now. Silly person, Thailand and it's junta will now really be under the international spotlight.

When was Thaksin overthrown by a military coup?

19th September, 2006

Ha ha ha ha - hilarious.

Oh - wait, are you being serious ?. Thaksin has set himself up for Les Majeste and lost his Thai passports (and a huge amount of his precious 'face' ) under the hope the Junta will cave in under pressure soon-to-come from the rest of the world ?.

What a cunning plan !. Nobody else saw that coming except you.

You must be very clever.

Compared to you, it seems I might well be

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Thaksin, it sets a dangerous precedent when an unelected military junta can revoke the passports of any Thai citizens, opening the doors for seizing the passports of any exiles it sees as threats.

Most of those hundreds of recent exiles don't have the limitless financial resources of our fugitive tycoon. Although some countries are accepting Thai exiles as political refugees, we know of only two cases where exiles were granted passports (New Zealand); it is unlikely most countries would be so forthcoming. This renders political exiles stateless and makes third country travel difficult if not impossible.

Khaosod's reporting was rather inflammatory, inferring LM while conveniently not referring to what he said even obliquely. The text of the ex-PM's speech referred only to the elites in power not to the monarchy but to the Privy Council (advisors to the king) charging the councillors with supporting Suthep Thug.. So are we now to accept it's criminal to criticise anyone in power, not only the three current Royals stipulated by law?

Edited by facthailand

Keep up the red mantra. He is free to return at any time with or without a passport. As a fugitive criminal he is not entitled to a passport from this country. nor can he claim that as a passport holder there are not serious charges and a conviction waiting him.

wow, you hear something you don't like or disagree with and instead of saying why you think my opinion is msitaken you start with "red Mantra" b/s. I'm not shouting any mantra, I'm just saying what I think. Doesn't mean I'm right, it means it's what I think. He was overthrown by an illegal coup, this is the crux of the matter as far as the west is concerned. Nothing else. Get back to your Chang.

My reply was concerning your repeated use of the word exile, and I gave you good reasons why the use of that word is BS. You may note that when he left the country,it was some time after the "illegal coup" and while his puppet government was in office. How bail jumping from a friendly government becomes exile from an "illegal coup" is completely within your tiny mind.

BTW even without a passport, any Thai consulate or embassy will supply a citizen with one-time one way return documentation. It may even be free.

According to a statement published by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs today, the interview contained "some elements that may damage the national security, reputation, and dignity of Thailand."

Military removing a democratically elected government 4 times in a row, banning free speech and refusing to allow elections however, seems to be fine for the "national security, reputation, and dignity of Thailand."

coffee1.gif

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Thaksin, it sets a dangerous precedent when an unelected military junta can revoke the passports of any Thai citizens, opening the doors for seizing the passports of any exiles it sees as threats.

Most of those hundreds of recent exiles don't have the limitless financial resources of our fugitive tycoon. Although some countries are accepting Thai exiles as political refugees, we know of only two cases where exiles were granted passports (New Zealand); it is unlikely most countries would be so forthcoming. This renders political exiles stateless and makes third country travel difficult if not impossible.

Khaosod's reporting was rather inflammatory, inferring LM while conveniently not referring to what he said even obliquely. The text of the ex-PM's speech referred only to the elites in power not to the monarchy or, in my reading, even the Privy Council. So are we now to accept it's criminal to criticise anyone in power, not only the three current Royals stipulated by law?

But Thaksin is NOT a political refugee, he is a fugitive criminal who jumped bail, was convicted in absentia, and has many other serious charges waiting him.

Keep up the red mantra. He is free to return at any time with or without a passport. As a fugitive criminal he is not entitled to a passport from this country. nor can he claim that as a passport holder there are not serious charges and a conviction waiting him.

wow, you hear something you don't like or disagree with and instead of saying why you think my opinion is msitaken you start with "red Mantra" b/s. I'm not shouting any mantra, I'm just saying what I think. Doesn't mean I'm right, it means it's what I think. He was overthrown by an illegal coup, this is the crux of the matter as far as the west is concerned. Nothing else. Get back to your Chang.

No Alwyn, you are wrong. He was never ever overthrown my an illegal coup. Look up the facts. The West are very aware of how and why he was removed. just as they know he wasn't the PM or caretaker PM at the time, but illegally occupying the position with no authority but his own.

It's the fact that coups install non elected governments the West doesn't like - and not in anyway does that mean they support a criminal usurper.

Khaosod's reporting was rather inflammatory, inferring LM while conveniently not referring to what he said even obliquely. The text of the ex-PM's speech referred only to the elites in power not to the monarchy but to the Privy Council (advisors to the king) charging the councillors with supporting Suthep Thug.. So are we now to accept it's criminal to criticise anyone in power, not only the three current Royals stipulated by law?

And how many other Thai expats are convicted criminals with illegally issued passports wanted for bail jumping and to face 15 serious charges in court?

>>Due to Thailand’s strict lese majeste law, which criminalizes insulting the monarchy, Khaosod English is unable to elaborate on the comments he made in the interview.<< Quote

What a stupid and sad old man Mr T is!!

Even a farang arrived yesterday would know better than to insult the institution.................

Thaksin is a wily old fox and knew that interview would get right up Prayuts nostrils. Seems to have worked, Thaksin certainly won't be losing any sleep on what farangs write on TVF. Best to go back to your bar stool.

Spot on. Mr T is indeed a wily old fox, you can bet anything he says when making pointed comments is not 'off the cuff', but calculated.

We can wait with interest to watch develpoments.

Well guess Thaksin S won't be to concerned about losing his Thai passport. I suspect his PR team will now have a field day publicizing to the world the reasoning cited by the General for this action. Illustrates even further to the free world what this current General thinks about free speech, irrespective of what various people think about Thaksin.

if he would travell back to thailand, he would need a passport,

but now he would have to use his Montenogro or Columbia passport -

for this passports he will need a Visa !!

Which Ambassy will give him a Visa ??

or can the aircontroll allow his plain to land if he have not the correct passport - visa ??

A Thai citizen does not need a passport to be in Thailand. Thai citizens don't need visas to be in Thailand.

Does it really serve any purpose , I suppose it undermines his authority to speak on Thailand's behalf .The only time he would ever return would be would be if and when a Thaksin friendly Government were in place , so I dare say they would issue him a new one. Its just to unsettle his supporters I suppose and show how the junta can do what they want, Apart from Jailing his sister , not much else they can get at him with

Actually there is a way to have him arrested and brought to justice in Thailand. He only needs to be officially added to Interpol's list of wanted criminals and his exile will be over sooner than later, especially if a substantial reward is offered for information that leads to his arrest and return to Thailand to stand trial.

Interpol would regard this as a political charge, and would not entertain it.

Actually there is a way to have him arrested and brought to justice in Thailand. He only needs to be officially added to Interpol's list of wanted criminals and his exile will be over sooner than later, especially if a substantial reward is offered for information that leads to his arrest and return to Thailand to stand trial.

I take it that you are referring to his conviction. Do you dismiss the other 15 so lightly?

There are 2 clearly discernible groups on ThaiVisa....The vehemently ant-Thaksin camp who seem to regard politics in the same way as one might support a football team.........and the other camp, those who understand, or at least try to understand Thai politics and history.

One has to say that the lack of thought by the anti-Thaksin camp is blatantly apparent when one becomes aware of their main tenet; that anyone who disagrees with their mouth-frothingly simplistic points of view must be pro-Thaksin....a premise that unfortunately compels them to fall flat on their face at the first fence of any meaningful discussion

Yeah right.

I have never made that assertion. The same as claiming all those anti-Thaksin are right wing extremist junta fans, as if that somehow legitimizes their defense of the Shins.

Good job we have totally objective, highly educated political scientists who've studied Thai politics and can rationalize and contextualize the complexities like your self of course.

Some posters on here just love saying " I'm not a Thaksin supporter but.............." They usually give themselves away by claiming only they really understand things, attacking Shin opponents at any chance, and of course trying to dismiss anyone who is remotely anti-Thakisn or won't ignore the inconvenient truths.

Your taxonomy is wrong. You missed Shin supporters group, they do come and go, and those who like yourself try and pretend some superior knowledge.

well - QED! if the cap fits...and all that. you realise that everything you just said is a false dichotomy which is exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post?

too many posts for me to read so apologies if I'm repeating.

A crook who plundered the country loses passports, nepotism returns them. He then has them revoked by the Junta why, because of his corrupt and criminal activity while he was PM of Thailand, no apparently not. It is because he said bad things about the PM that made the PM sad and angry.

Well guess Thaksin S won't be to concerned about losing his Thai passport. I suspect his PR team will now have a field day publicizing to the world the reasoning cited by the General for this action. Illustrates even further to the free world what this current General thinks about free speech, irrespective of what various people think about Thaksin.

There is free speech and then there is free speech from Thaksin. He'll just buy another one somewhere.

This guy and his sister are toast in Thailand anyway.

Technically he is not Thai anymore after passport is revoked. So, can he enter the country with some other African republic passport onThaiVisa ?

A passport is not a sine qua non for citizenship. Most Thais don't have a passport.

The government revoked his passports, not his citizenship.

And how many other Thai expats are convicted criminals with illegally issued passports wanted for bail jumping and to face 15 serious charges in court?

Maybe not those details, but there were people who were overseas when the coup took place and who refused to come home for 'attitude adjustment'. One is respected academic, Pavin Chachavalpongpun, who has also had his passport cancelled by the coup makers. Clear evidence that this sort of thing is being used to 1) punish people who are critical of the regime and 2) discourage others from joining in the criticism. It's basically the LM law with an over-border reach. But I'm glad the practice seems to delight so many people here...

free world?cheesy.gif

Here we go again...coffee1.gif

Mods; may I suggest you introduce a tinfoil hat emoticon? It would be very handy on TV.

I take it that you are referring to his conviction. Do you dismiss the other 15 so lightly?

Not me but I expect Interpol would. And his extradition probably wouldn't even get to court in any democratic country. Edited by JAG

As much as I dislike the man you have to admire the way he plays everything like a game of chess and seems to come off top every time.

He knows 112, LM and the institutions which hold up the patronage system are into their final months. As he was doing 15 years ago, he`s planning for events years ahead not now. Always ahead of the game.

A US diplomat some years ago described him as "buying futures in xxxxxx" It seems he`s now buying futures in a Thailand after the inevitable happens.

An interesting move.

........"He was overthrown by an illegal coup, this is the crux of the matter as far as the west is concerned. Nothing else. Get back to your Chang."......................

Please stop embarrassing yourself with these stupid comments regarding Thaksin's demise. Do some research, I suggest Google, and you will soon see how false your statement is.

You guys can repeat this lie over, and over and over again, and it will not make it fact.

Besides that it is against forum rules to post anything that is "false" or "inaccurate".

I think I know who is on the Chang, hic. biggrin.png

I fail to understand how they can issue anything as they are all as crooked as each other, they all need locking up, anyone who is decent and upstanding will get nowhere in Thailand

>>Due to Thailands strict lese majeste law, which criminalizes insulting the monarchy, Khaosod English is unable to elaborate on the comments he made in the interview.<< Quote

What a stupid and sad old man Mr T is!!

Even a farang arrived yesterday would know better than to insult the institution.................

Thaksin is a wily old fox and knew that interview would get right up Prayuts nostrils. Seems to have worked, Thaksin certainly won't be losing any sleep on what farangs write on TVF. Best to go back to your bar stool.

No Mr T is an old fool!!

By making himself a 112-suspect, he has closed all doors for a possible return.

Even if an amnesty ever takes place, lese majesty suspects are always excluded!!

PS. I don't drink...........

I doubt the man will have a difficult time living out his life outside Thailand. Money can buy happiness.

But not the bowing and scraping he got in Thailand. Despite his wealth he is just another face in the crowd wherever he goes without all the flunkys.

The diplomatic passport allowed him to bypass customs and immigration wherever he went.

As Johnny Depp,recently discovered with his dogs in Australia fame and fortune are no barrier to rules,regulation and officialdom.

Despite all his wealth it cannot buy him face.

The western media in Particular America are giving MR T a good deal of support for his valued opinions.

and we all know what a bunch of idiots the western media is. They write more bs than facts.

At least they're free to do so.

That the govt now revokes Thaksin's passports, that will not hurt him so much.
But now that apparently a Japanese consortium is supposed to build the train route BKK-Chiang Mai, and not his chinese friends,
that is a lot more painful - in terms of negotiated commissions - for him.