Owning a car in Pattaya Why?

flyingsaucersarereal

How long will it take to spend 500000 + baht in taxi's?

If one lived out near the lake how does one get a taxi if wanting to go shopping at makro or foodland ?

So you buy a car to go shopping how many times do you go shopping a month?

You can get a taxi for going everywhere? You just don't want too!

You just don't want to listen to a valid argument do you?

You own your own house then you have homepro/works and similar stores. Also I wouldn't want to only do shopping once a week , we go at least 3/4 times. We do live in Central Pattaya but have many friends over on the Darkside, how would we get to their houses and back? Also if drink/driving is an issue then maybe you shouldn't be on the road in the first place, we take it in turns, one drives and is tea total and the other has a few drinks.

Finally it comes down to independence and not being pinned down by your budget in a rented property.

The new status symbol isn't what you own- it's what you're smart enough not to owngiggle.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Answer a long time I would rather have the money.

I have a motorcycle and don't want to wait for a hour to drive everywhere.

Safer and carrying a lot of people is the only advantage of the car in Pattaya.

The taxi system in Pattaya is a shambles, first of all, the majority are not even real taxi's,

they are songtaews (open back bench taxis that cram in as many people like cattle) bah.gif

No thank you!

Your still sat out in the elements and breathe in pollution as you do on a motorbike,

they're uncomfortable and only work in specific areas and routes, they are also a major

contributor to the cause of traffic congestion in Pattaya.

The taxi system in Pattaya is a shambles, first of all, the majority are not even real taxi's,

they are songtaews (open back bench taxis that cram in as many people like cattle) bah.gif

No thank you!

Your still sat out in the elements and breathe in pollution as you do on a motorbike,

they're uncomfortable and only work in specific areas and routes, they are also a major

You are very clearly uninformed

http://grabtaxi.com/pattaya-thailand/

If we are basing things purely on mathematics, then please deduct the resale price from any car vs. taxi argument.

I have done 70,000kms in my car and if I costed that at per kilometre costs via any taxi service then even without the resale value of the car I would be way ahead.

Add any value of passenger/goods transport and pleasure derived then I would opt for a car any time.

I am aware of the fuel costs and maintenance to add back in but I still feel I am ahead.

To find those taxis is not that difficult but what makes it difficult (when you live away from central), is to make them available when you want them to be available for example early morning, late afternoon or after 11pm.

Edit: I lived in Central Pattaya and even there had problems finding Motobike Taxis at around 6-7am and that was not far from Central Road

If you use your mobile phone you can ring grab taxi to come and collect you whenever you want?ermm.gif

Fortunately I don't need them as I have a Car and a Bike. But it could be good for someone desperate to use a Taxi.

Ps: Will they do short runs ?

http://grabtaxi.com/pattaya-thailand/grabtaxi/

I have had to many friends crippled and killed on motorbikes in Thailand. Some of them extremely skilful drivers.

Its car for me all the time. Comfort, Safety plenty of free parking and I enjoy the challenges of driving on Thailand's horrendous roads.

Also Police pull you over fewer times.

If I was a drinker I would use public transport.

No thank you!

I did state the majority of taxis which are actually songtaews

So all those hundreds of songtaews that are running around Pattaya causing

traffic jams and pollution are in your opinion unnecessary then.

Also, what is the charge rate of grabtaxi .com?

Each to their own

I havent set foot in a songtaew in the last 10 years or so

Have transport currently as a four door pickup with 'super-up' cover, a Nissan Juke, and the obligatory twist n go motocy

This to my mind and my lifestyle covers all bases, the big pickup if Im covering kilometers and/or hauling stuff, the ditzy l'ill Juke for short hauls and easy parking, and the scoot for scudding about solo.

Edited by Regyai

Have a motorcycle but also a car for longer distances, shopping, rainy days and so on

Taxi's could be cheaper, could not be ... never bothered to do the maths as there's a concept called comfort ... don't like to call a taxi to pick me up, don't like to call a taxi to bring me back, don't like to wait for the taxi, don't like to explain again as the driver didn't understand exactly where I am, don't like to call a second time because 1st didn't show, don't like to depend on a driver with unknown driving skills

Following the same concept bought myself a computer and rent an internet connection even though it might be cheaper to go to a 10TB per hour internet shop, bought myself a set of sofa's despite the many chairs to be used free of charge in several food courts and had a small swimming pool installed where for this money I could probably visit Pattaya Park for the rest of my current life + 2 next lives.

So to answer the question Why would anyone own a car unless they have a very specific need? because I want and because I can.

Would I advise the UFO OP to buy one as well? Of course not, he says he's happy without

Next topic please ... Owning a wife in Pattaya Why? plenty of taxi's available

I bought a new car 31 Dec 2014.

Now almost 5 months old.

800 miles on clock.

Was it worth it ? 100% yes !

In my view, which is against probably 80% of TV readers, a motor bike is far too dangerous to use on the roads here in Pattaya.

Questions to consider: You age? You fit to walk around the city? Location of where you live? You have patience to wait for "public transportation" (baht bus)? How long have you lived in Pattaya?

I come from the United States where one has to have an automobile, just to get a bottle of milk. I have been able to live in Thailand for ten years without an automobile. ( My background: I live in north Pattaya near where the songtaew routes are and about 1 mile from the public bus staton on Pattaya north. My job is 20 minutes away so luckily there is a van driver that picks me up in the morning and drops be off near my condo).

Surprisingly I have been without an automobile since the ten years I have lived here. I am over 55 years old but still go to the gym so I look at my walking around town as part of my fitness program. It is very important to rent/purchase an apartment that is close to a songtaew route so you don't have to walk too far to get to a songtaew. (For a few years, I lived along Wongamat Beach but I felt a bit insecure walking after midnight from Naklua Rd to soi Wongamat. True, one can take a motor-bike taxi at night but these guys may not always be on your "soi-corner" or filled up with Mekhong whiskey.)

The important part of getting around the city by songtaew is that you cannot be in a hurry and need to have patience, especially around peak season when the tourists are hiring the songtaews as their private drivers and you find yourself standing around 15 minutes before you find a public songtaew packed with people. Carry plenty of change and an umbrella.

Going short distances by motorbike is "do-able" also but I have never been a motorbike fan, Uncle died on one. Many of my friends will say, "Why don't you get a cheap motorbike to get around?--They're not dangerous." Then I point out how all of them have been in some kind of accident with their bike. Thankfully nothing serious except a few scratches and one friend with a broken arm. Besides, it isn't easy to ride a bike or car in the city since you have songtaews suddenly stopping or changing lanes in front of you or the brainless locall motorcylists who zoom around the corners and know nothing about safety of others

If you need to stock up with groceries or purchase some large items at Tesco, BigC, Villa Market and other places, they will deliver to your door during the day or at the big discount shopping centers in front of Tesco or Big C there are the private songtaew drivers that you hired to take you back to your condo with all your goodies in the back.(There is a price chart outside the exit of Tesco and Big C).

Next, I go to Bangkok for my socializing and escape from Pattaya on the average twice a month. I hope on a soi motorbike taxi during the day (wearing a helmet) and I am dropped off in front of the Pattaya-Bangkok ticket booth. For 112 baht you get a reserved seat on an airconditioned bus and you get off at the first Skytrain station along Sukumvit when you reach Bangkok and you are ready for the big city.

Going by motorbike taxi can be faster and I always take note of someone who I think is a decent driver and get his phone number and when I want to go by motorbike taxi, I call him. Pay him a bit more of course but that is better than "Russian-roulette" with some of these motorbike taxi drivers.

I have driven in some countries that drive crazier than the Thais... I have driven in the Middle East, Africa, India...for me, it is a nice change not to hassle with "senseless drivers, parking, and the fear of being in an accident and being blamed because I am a "farang".

You can always try being "car-less" and see if you like it. If you don't, then rent a car before you buy one.

To find those taxis is not that difficult but what makes it difficult (when you live away from central), is to make them available when you want them to be available for example early morning, late afternoon or after 11pm.

Edit: I lived in Central Pattaya and even there had problems finding Motobike Taxis at around 6-7am and that was not far from Central Road

If you use your mobile phone you can ring grab taxi to come and collect you whenever you want?ermm.gif

Fortunately I don't need them as I have a Car and a Bike. But it could be good for someone desperate to use a Taxi.

Ps: Will they do short runs ?

http://grabtaxi.com/pattaya-thailand/grabtaxi/

Sitting at home this morning finishing my coffee whilst putting on the work boots I installed this app on my phone.

Not one single vehicle anywhere near my house, so I drove my car to work instead.

Some of us have families... and like to go out and enjoy Thailand

Then there are others that just sit at home all day and go out twice a month to shop...

Its lifestyle and if you want to be a hermit, dont get a car

I have kids and its nice to drive from CM to Patts every now and then in AC comfort, stopping when we want, taking detours to markets and attractions....
We take them to school, we go to markets... we go to malls... we go to events... and not once to I have to deal with the f&*king baht buses or Thais in general.... Definitely worth it !!!

Up to you!

I resisted buying a car for several years thinking the same, why do i need one. But having bought one now it is great to have 4 wheels (and air con) when you are going out. Plus it was getting dodgy trying to balance a case of beer on my motorbike. You can jump in the car and go to Bang Saray or down the coast.

There are a large number of generally unpleasant types on this forum who like to brag about their supposed wealth on various issues. They frown upon the destitute farangs who can only afford motorbikes. I will only ever ride a motorbike in Pattaya. It makes sense in my situation. I need to get from A to B as quickly as possible, and a bike is the only way. I say this as a virtually homeless hobo farang who can afford a car or two if he wishes (brag, brag).

Big C xtra pattaya klang to jomtien beach not very long

There are a large number of generally unpleasant types on this forum who like to brag about their supposed wealth on various issues. They frown upon the destitute farangs who can only afford motorbikes. I will only ever ride a motorbike in Pattaya. It makes sense in my situation. I need to get from A to B as quickly as possible, and a bike is the only way. I say this as a virtually homeless hobo farang who can afford a car or two if he wishes (brag, brag).

I have to own a car as my motorcycles dont have air conditioning.

Why would you own a car?

Much safer

To carry more than one passenger.

To not breathe in polluted air like you do riding a motorbike.

To be able to shop large quantities and take home.

To comfortably drive longer distances out of the sun and rain.

Parking isn't such an issue as most places have car parks.

Traffic isn't so bad if you know how to navigate around the town

and avoid the usual congested areas at certain times of the day.

I also own a motorbike and use it if i'm solo, depending on the circumstances,

that way i have all bases covered.

Don't forget that a car is the BEST way to transport your children in that nightmare. I take the bike when it is just me, but always take the kids in the car.

You don't need a car I walked everywhere in Pattaya for many years. Lived in a fan room ate sticky rice with chang beer daily. Total beach bum lifestyle but didn't waste money on transport. Wrecked my motorbike (drunk driving)before so I stopped riding them.

So you have already answered your own question so why bother to post?

Hi. To all those who answered "GrabTaxi", did you use them?

First ok GrabTaxi is good, because far better that than nothing wink.png

but:

- there are not that many taxis who use that system

- they are most of time in Naklua or Jomtien area

- they chose to reply - or not - when someone call for a taxi

Result:

-> try to call one from the dark side and very probably none will be interested sad.png

(I did try from lake MapPhracham... Not one answer in hours)

BTW I can't believe many of answers above!

Not everyone in Pattaya is a single guy living between Beach Rd and 3rd Rd

and - more importantly - never going outside this smallish area !

Age and weight are also factors. I am 76 and partially disabled which eliminates walking. I have never been a bike rider and find that when I use a bike taxi it becomes very top heavy.as I weigh 100 kg. I live on the dark side and thank heavens I'm still able to drive a car. It comes down to what you prefer to do and if you can afford it. The same reason people buy a BMW or a Benz versus cheaper transport. Different strokes for different folks.

I can sort of see the point of just having a scooter if you live in Central Pattaya - if you don't go anywhere else . Who wishes to live like that?

Central Pattaya is a dump- only to be visited if you going to the cinema, bowling , restaurants or Central.

It's all to do with your standard of life, get dressed up and are going for dinner at the Royal Cliff , jump on your scooter and arrive hot and sweating - hang around for Grab Taxi - a car gives you freedom. Yesterday went to Bang Saray for some sea food- without a car you are stuck.

These days I stay out of the sun as much as I can- you see endless guys on their bikes with no shirts- I do not get the obsession of getting an ultimate tan. The incidence of Melanoma is Increasing rapidly, a car will protect you from UV , a bike will not.