I am looking for a sim with cheap international calls and texts

popje

Preferably something that can be topped up at 7 elevens, I am not in thailand yet so I can't go look by myself, I need something with free incoming international calls/texts and cheap outgoing international calls/texts, I found this: http://www.amazon.ca/Thailand-SIM-Card-Unlimited-Internet/dp/B00F59HONM/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1432763866&sr=8-14&keywords=thai+sim

Can I buy this and top it up when I get there at a seven eleven ? Do that mean internation texts will be free ? Is there a better deal around ?

Hell no !!!

29 Canadian Dollar (CDN ?) for a simple AIS SIM?

You can get this here simply everywhere e.g. right at the airport.

Cost about 100 Baht ~ 4 CAD.

Topup possible at 7/11 and uncountable other locations/options/methods.

Incoming international calls and text are free for you.

Outgoing international is not free.

Rates vary depending on prefix dialed.

Calls to Canada dialed with 009 prefix are 2.5 Baht/min to fixed/mobile (about 9 Canadian cent).

CDN? Official currency symbol for Canadian dollar is CAD.

1 CAD about 27 Baht.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Hell no !!!

29 CDN for a simple AIS SIM?

You can get this here simply everywhere e.g. right at the airport e.g.

Topup possible at 7/11 and uncountable other locations/options/methods.

Incoming international calls and text are free for you.

Outgoing international is not free.

Rates vary depending on prefix dialed.

Calls to Canada dialed with 009 prefix are 2.5 Baht/min to fixed/mobile.

Thanks ! I kinda knew 30$ for a sim card was too much, but I was more interested in what it offered, 0.05cent per minute equal to 1.36 baht which is almost twice as cheap as the one you mentioned, do you know if there a cheaper one, or one that you pay by month for unlimited or have a cheaper rate ?

also, when I have unlimited texts, it includes international right ?

Short term visitors can get a SIM as described above... I am biased - AIS is best... but there is TRUE and DTAC also.

After that - needing only WiFi and Skype - paying $10,00 into a type of slush fund ... you can call any telephone number in the world... The charges are ticked off of the $10.00 as used. Then go on line and recharge the $10.00 or get a calling plan to the country of choice - very cheap ... The person you are calling does not have to be Skype user.

Plus with other Skype users on smartphones, PCs, MACs, Tablets, you can do FREE Video Calls -- This can be done with the LINE APP or WHATSAPP too

Use the AIS SIM card for local Thailand Calls.

5 Cent per minute to Canada is "ambitious" (or "creative marketing").

Maybe someone can help out with a cheaper offer.

I try to find.

But one thing for sure: buying such an ordinary (nothing special) AIS prepaid for 29 CAD makes no sense at all.

Wish I could make money this way?

Anybody needs prepaid SIM cards from Thailand?

Special price 28 CAD biggrin.png

As JDGREEN writes: always a good idea to install Skype/Line/Whatsapp if you have a smartphone.

If you have a free hotel WiFi e.g. you can get connected really cheap.

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 Cent per minute to Canada is "ambitious" (or "creative marketing").

Maybe someone can help out with a cheaper offer.

I try to find.

But one thing for sure: buying such an ordinary (nothing special) AIS prepaid for 29 CAD makes no sense at all.

Wish I could make money this way?

Anybody needs prepaid SIM cards from Thailand?

Special price 28 CAD biggrin.png

As JDGREEN writes: always a good idea to install Skype/Line/Whatsapp if you have a smartphone.

If you have a free hotel WiFi e.g. you can get connected really cheap.

yeah, that guy had 2 for sell and they haven't sold in the past month, I am not sure there a lot of money you can make tongue.png

You didn't answer my question, is unlimited text automatically unlimited international texts, its like that where I live.

As for the internet option, I'd rather not to be honest for a few reasons, one of them being that when people receive a call from skype, the number that appears is like 123456789, I know a lot of people who will ignore my calls.

Edited by popje

Another thing to look for when buying "International" SIM's and calling cards is often calls to mobiles are a much higher rate than calls to landline phones.

When you land in Thailand, you will probably get a text message from whatever local provider has a partner agreement with your home provider offering you some kind of short term SMS and calling package. read that before you buy locally

As others have said, SKYPE, LINE. and other apps offer very decent free voice and messaging service, Facebook messenger as well. You just need to co-ordinate with the parties you most frequently contact and have them download the same apps.

BTW, If you will be using or even have your Home phone with you in Thailand, make sure Data Roaming is turned OFF while you are here or you might get a very nasty surprise when you return home