Traffic police are the missing link for Thai road safety

webfact

ANALYSIS
Traffic police are the missing link for Thai road safety

JOHN DRAPER, DIPENDRA KC
SPECIAL TO THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Following the fatal accident in Chiang Mai that killed three cyclists and injured two others, demands for stiffer punishments have escalated, especially given the likely influence of alcohol.

One idea is bicycle licenses, a proposal which led to a group of bicyclists meeting Assistant Police Chief Prawut Thawornsiri on May 15 to submit objections.

Licensing bicycle riders is only an opportunity for additional paperwork and graft. Pedestrians and cyclists should have first priority on roads. Licensing borders on the preposterous, as research worldwide has shown it is a barrier to more cycling, which the government in theory supports.

The real problem is Thai roads are very nearly the most dangerous in the world. This year's first-quarter data for traffic accidents notes the deaths of 3,834 Thais, while more than 316,000 have sustained some form of injury, at great cost to the healthcare system and economy.

Globally, Thailand's rate of road deaths is second only to Namibia - one of the least densely populated countries - in a study of 193 countries by the University of Michigan's Transportation Research Institute. This study revealed a disturbing 44 deaths per 100,000 of population in Thailand, with 45 in Namibia.

It is no surprise that pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycle riders are the most vulnerable to road accidents. For instance, the Global Status Report on Road Safety 2013 by the World Health Organization (WHO) found 74% of total deaths were users of motorized 2- or 3-wheelers, 13% were drivers of 4-wheeled vehicles, then 8% were pedestrians, while cyclists accounted for 3%.

The maximum speed limits on urban roads are 60 or 80km/h. However, Thailand achieved a mere 30percent for effective implementation of national speed limits in the WHO study.

Thailand also has a national motorcycle helmet law. Studies have shown a good-quality helmet can reduce the risk of death on the road by 40%. However, most Thai motorcyclists only wear helmets to avoid traffic police fines. The WHO study suggests only 53% of riders and 19% of motorcycle passengers actually obey this law in Thailand.

Moreover, drink-driving was the main reason for the 3,373 accidents during this year's Songkran week. Enforcement of drink-driving laws reduces the road accident rate dramatically. Thai law sets a 0.05 g/dl blood alcohol concentration (BAC) limit for drivers. However, the WHO study rates the Thai enforcement level of this limit at 50%, signifying much more is required on both the part of the police and of drivers.

Thailand can learn from Nepal - a country technically behind Thailand in terms of development. Similar to Thailand, the Himalayan kingdom had rules on drink driving which were rarely enforced until December 2011. Then, the country adopted one of the strictest drink driving rules in the world - a zero tolerance policy, setting the BAC to zero.

As soon as night falls, the night shift of Nepalese traffic police is deployed to enforce the law, armed with breathalyzers. Unlike in Thailand, where "crackdowns" may be over in one night, in Kathmandu it is almost impossible to escape the net of breath checks, including on weekends, holidays, and even during the day.

If any driver is caught consuming even a mouthful of alcohol, that person is fined the equivalent of 335 baht. In addition, what deters re-offending the most is a one-hour-long mandatory lecture on the dangers of drink driving and the long queues to pay the fine before receiving the seized license the next day.

It took weeks for Nepalese party-goers to adjust to this new rule. In addition, the enforcement seriously hampered the business of restaurants and bars. There were organized protests, including the temporary closure of businesses, but in the face of a determined stand by the Nepalese government and police force, these petered out. Crucially, the authorities were aware that an increased likelihood of punishment would, in time, deter criminal activity, as predicted by rational action theory, which states that human beings are more likely to obey the law if the chance of punishment is higher.

Furthermore, the positive benefits of the campaign clearly outweigh the negative. The number of accidents caused by drink driving declined sharply by more than 71percent from 2012 to 2013. In addition, in this country of 27 million, by the end of February 2015, the traffic police had penalized 172,557 offenders and amassed over 50 million baht - all mainly from one city, Kathmandu - since the inception of the campaign.

The campaign also had greater social benefits. Housewives and parents were happy because their loved ones went home sober. Furthermore, the rates of other crimes like gang fights, theft, extortion and rape significantly declined. In addition, the policy gave birth to new business opportunities, mainly for taxi drivers.

What is seemingly lacking among Thai traffic police is not an awareness of these issues but strong commitment and motivation to implement a sustained policy. The country needs leadership that is willing and able to cope with the significant resistance which will arise from restaurant owners and habitual drinkers. Courage and motivation are necessary within the police system in order to go beyond punishing the poorer motorcyclists and to begin curbing the reckless drinking of those higher in the social ladder who drive cars, including luxury vehicles.

Nepal took into account the police and public mentality before starting the campaign. The government backed the police and created an "encouragement allowance" where they are entitled to keep one-sixth of the revenue. The allowance resulted in a decline in bribery as the traffic police could easily earn extra legal money by punishing more drivers. This was key to the campaign's success, which also included celebrity endorsements, television programmes, and social media.

To conclude, instead of licensing cyclists, the government should be making the roads safe for them. Introducing cycling routes in touristic destinations, making parking spaces for bicycles, clearing the footpaths and constructing new cycle lanes should be priorities. But, the Royal Thai Police needs to also do its job and reduce the number of killers on the roads.

John Draper is project officer for the Isan Culture Maintenance and Revitalisation Programme at Khon Kaen University. Dipendra KC is co-founder of a youth-led NGO in Nepal and a rural development management MA student at Khon Kaen University. Twitter: @kcdipendra.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Traffic-police-are-the-missing-link-for-Thai-road--30261091.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-28

It's simple really.. any would be errant motorist knows that you can buy, in most cases, yourself

out of a ticket with a few baht, and that if you're happened to be taken to a police station and booked

there, that again, still not all lost, and finally, if you have been prosecuted and brought to justice,

a good connection, hi-s family name or a well placed envelop will see you free of at worst, with

a slap on the wrist... so it's not only the cops, it's the whole system that is rotten to the core...

Excellent discussion regarding what Nepal did. Relatively easy to do the same here if the politicians got on board.

+1. And think of all the part time jobs they'd create for designated drivers.

I'll repeat what I've often said. When I started driving, I was a hazard. Young, bulletproof and (I thought), an excellent driver. Had the best driver's ed classes in the country. But I was still an accident looking for a place to crash until I got a few years of driving experience and developed proper driving habits. It was only the fear of tickets that instilled in me the driving habits that kept the gendarme off my case and (not so coincidentally) kept me out of accidents.

Without enforcement, I just don't see the roads getting any safer here.

Edited by impulse

I was about to comment on a solution, but I think some of us know that the Police here are just dogs that havent been trained

Thailand tries so hard... but its all just YAK YAK YAK....

Edited by thhMan

What the traffic police need to do is do their job. Not only when they are at check points but when they are riding or driving anywhere. It is a fact that they see infraction and do nothing. Everyone knows that when they see police vehicle moving on the road they the police are not going to stop anyone, especially motor cyclists with out helmets, driver's licence, registration, and insurance.

Excellent discussion regarding what Nepal did. Relatively easy to do the same here if the politicians got on board.

I'll repeat what I've often said. When I started driving, I was a hazard. Young, bulletproof and (I thought), an excellent driver. Had the best driver's ed classes in the country. But I was still an accident looking for a place to crash until I got a few years of driving experience and developed proper driving habits. It was only the fear of tickets that instilled in me the driving habits that kept the gendarme off my case and (not so coincidentally) kept me out of accidents.

at GOOD driver's ed classes they teach you to develope proper driving habits. So I guess your schools were not all that great.

Agree it's an excellent discussion, but disagree that it would be easy to implement.

Reason being is that the general population have their own version of the rules so deeply ingrained that they would be enormously outraged and perplexed if things changed. From country yokel to entitled hiso.

"I can't drive home from the pub???? Who says? I've always done it, and my daddy before me, and my sons after me...stop with the silly power-play"

"I can't double park right outside the vendor I want to buy from??? Don't be silly, of course I can.....All the traffic piled up behind me is none of my business (I'm not even aware of it) and you can't expect me to park 10 meters away and WALK!!!!"

"Stop signs??? They are just there for appearances and for timid women drivers to hold up us good drivers, EVERYONE knows that, so stop being silly and insisting that I, a macho man, have to stop".

remember recently when the government said children shouldn't ride motocycles? "But how will the kids get to school?" was the upcry.

been saying it for months - the carnage on the roads must stop, too many people are being slaughtered, the government and police need to step up and do something and not for a couple of weeks - it needs to be permanent consistent proactive policing

Drunks driving vehicles needs to end

at GOOD driver's ed classes they teach you to develope proper driving habits. So I guess your schools were not all that great.

The only thing that develops proper driving habits is years of repetition. You can't get that in any drivers ed class, no matter how good.

I was about to comment on a solution, but I think some of us know that the Police here are just dogs that havent been trained

Thailand tries so hard... but its all just YAK YAK YAK....

And just WHAT did dogs do to upset you today?

clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifgiggle.gif

"The real problem is Thai roads are very nearly the most dangerous in the world."

To paraphrase another member from a different but similar article, the ROADS are not dangerous, the DRIVERS are!

Enforcing the "drink and drive" laws is an excellent idea, but to make it effective, there must be other ways of coming home from restaurants etc. Only Bangkok has a reasonably efficient, reasonably priced public transport system, and as far as I know, only in Bangkok, taxis use meters. Most places in Thailand, finding transportation home after a night out can be a hassle if I'm not on main street, and when at last I find a taxi, he charges more than the meal cost me.

So they have to do two things: enforce the laws and establish systems that makes it easier to follow them. Kill the transport mafia.

The only thing that develops proper driving habits is years of repetition. You can't get that in any drivers ed class, no matter how good.

Quality education is a good start though. Years of repetition of bad habits lead nowhere.

Enforcing the "drink and drive" laws is an excellent idea, but to make it effective, there must be other ways of coming home from restaurants etc. Only Bangkok has a reasonably efficient, reasonably priced public transport system, and as far as I know, only in Bangkok, taxis use meters. Most places in Thailand, finding transportation home after a night out can be a hassle if I'm not on main street, and when at last I find a taxi, he charges more than the meal cost me.

So they have to do two things: enforce the laws and establish systems that makes it easier to follow them. Kill the transport mafia.

Almost every bar I used to frequent in the USA had a sign saying they'd call you a taxi if you didn't want to drive home. Maybe the bar/restaurant operators can be part of the solution?

this is actually quite true. i still fear the police when driving in western climes.

that moment of discomfort when passing a police car.

here, i could not care less.

this is actually quite true. i still fear the police when driving in western climes.

that moment of discomfort when passing a police car.

here, i could not care less.

45 years later, having all my documents in order, not exceeding the speed limit, no alcohol, staying in my own lane, and my butt cheeks still tighten up when I see a cop car.

44 deaths per 100,000 of population in Thailand,

And the Lady Tourism Minister is completely unaware of it...

Tourism Ministry assures diplomats travel here is safe for their citizens

Edited by Lupatria

Almost every bar I used to frequent in the USA had a sign saying they'd call you a taxi if you didn't want to drive home. Maybe the bar/restaurant operators can be part of the solution?

I believe part of the reason for this was police going after bars that allowed patrons who were obviously drunk to leave and drive home?? At least lawyers did go after them from a civil point of view if an accident happened.