Cow manure spreader

We have a agriculture engineer round here who makes manure spreaders,they have a moving floor and disc's at the back to do the spreading he makes 2 types, a big one ,needs to be towed by a Ford 6610 ,cost about 130 000 ? bart, and a smaller one ,that would need at least 50 hp at the pto cost of this one ,I do not know,,but would say about 80 000 bart.

I see the one in the photo has beater bars at the back, that would be able to take wet solid manure ,like in our own countries ,the disc type would need dry manure to work well , not a problem with poultry manure as that dose flow . some wet cow manure ,might be a problem

But, I have seen a lot at work, mainly spreading poultry manure on sugar cane land and never a problem,the guy who makes them , ,he is based in central Lopburi.

Something I have thought of for some time,back in the uk 40 years ago we had muck spreaders ,with a capacity of 1.5 - 2 ton ,land wheel driven ,no pto ,simple machines moving floors ,beater bars at the back ,something that would do well in los ,could be towed with a 30 hp tractor,................ if they are any entrepreneurs out there,I think they would work well over here.

I could do with one ,for only today I was shoveling cow manure out the back of our trailer ,on to some grass land.

we got 100 cows and are in the hills behind chiang mai so hirring is not possible.

I dont want to dry the manure as the thai do either, at the moment it is going out a bit green but in the future i want to compost it more.But maby the one kickstart suggest will not work even when composted, it will still be a bit lumpy,that where those spreaders in the pic come in.We do graze the cows but there still spend quiet a bit in the shed so we got lots of i

thank's for the 2 usfull posts

Rice.

That looks a good bit of kit ,it would take 5 months worth of my manure,in one go .

But if it was full up with the op's wet/ solid manure, it would take more than 6610 with a worn out pto clutch to work it,us farangs would only fill 1/2 to 3/4 , would work well, but Thai's would insist on full up.

Again ,an imported machine,spears could be a problem.

If they was one smaller that could be pulled by a smaller tractor,I would be first in the que,would be popular with Thai farmers.

We had a very similar one in the uk .use to spread wet, solid manure with no problem.

As for using a traditional spreader,i did 300 ton for a farmer back in aus years ago.

First bucket i put in it stuck like shit to a blanket and took along time to get out,this was with a 10 ton Marshall multispreader.

So we spread the manure out over the ground and i applied a layer of sand over the top,2 days later after good sunshine i mixed the sand in with the manure as i loaded it and it worked out ok,any lumps broke down when they fell onto to the spinners at the back.

So it can be done.(wasn't much fun cleaning the spreader on completion)

As for using a traditional spreader,i did 300 ton for a farmer back in aus years ago.

First bucket i put in it stuck like shit to a blanket and took along time to get out,this was with a 10 ton Marshall multispreader.

So we spread the manure out over the ground and i applied a layer of sand over the top,2 days later after good sunshine i mixed the sand in with the manure as i loaded it and it worked out ok,any lumps broke down when they fell onto to the spinners at the back.

Perhaps this could be your theme song then

muuOzQYikP9ndzPvnxqLSBA.jpg

A long time ago I saw one of these in LOS,think it was at the Thai /Denmark farm at Mortlec, Saraburi.

A good solid machine,some manure that is solid,might come out in lumps,but that was not a problem with the ones we had,

good for very wet manure, I think not a of a problem in LOS.

For Thailand would be a good machine , not a lot of moving parts easy to maintain.

On a light side on some ,on some under maintained rotary spreaders,the chains would stretch,and rub ,and rub against the spreader sides and almost cut the spreader in half.

And they where pigs to clean out.

I had one of them a long time ago when i farmed in tasmania...i hated to use it ...the one i had was heavy and noisy like hell and the spreading was not verry good.

.there easy enough to make..... the one in your pic looks not so heavy as the one i had

The one in the OP isn't real big and I would be surprised if it took a really big tractor to power it. I think less than 50 HP and maybe less than 40. They really aren't working much harder than a PTO hay baler.

I'd vote for the rear flails as they both chop and "throw" and a moving floor keeps them fed. I've never used one without flail bars but I don't think I'd want to.

I would think converting the cow poo to a liquid would be the way to go. It's been done before so it wouldn't be hard to find out what sort of pump works best.

I have worked with liquid ,not as easy as it sounds ,this may sound dafft ,but first find some water, rain water from sheads will do ,the way this year is going ,not easy ,then you will need a pit,put the manure in with water ,but the soids settle out at the bottom ,so you will need a stirer,like a ships propller to stir it all up, pto driven, and then a slurry tanker, with a vacuum pump ,to suck out the slurry ,then reverse the pump so it blows out the slurry on to the field.it can be done but not easy.

That photo of a rotary spreader was just an example Windhorse was reading my mind ,for LOS ,it would be easy to make ,I agree not the best of machines, a rear flail spreader would be better,but to find one to suit Thailand. without all the problems importing etc.

I have a feeling that Thai made disc spreader is almost our only option .

The Fed's(BOP) at Lompoc CA, have(had??) a dairy that the milking parlor and some

of the feeding stalls droppings were washed into about a 4 Rai pit, some aeration

was added, then allowed to settle and then pumped up to big gun sprinklers in

the pastures. One time a year, they used a drag bucket to remove the settled solids

and then spread and plowed in.

rice555

As kickstart says liquid manure is not easy ...it is not a got quality manure anyway,it is to intense and das not build up the hummus in the soil.

It goes aneorobic unless you got a good air pump and getting it out you still gone need a tanktrailer( heavy again) with pump.

I would say it is more of a polutant and hassel for many dairy farms to get rid of.

Nothing is better then well composted cow manure ( if there is good amount of straw or other bedding even better).

As kickstart says liquid manure is not easy ...it is not a got quality manure anyway,it is to intense and das not build up the hummus in the soil.

It goes aneorobic unless you got a good air pump and getting it out you still gone need a tanktrailer( heavy again) with pump.

I would say it is more of a polutant and hassel for many dairy farms to get rid of.

Nothing is better then well composted cow manure ( if there is good amount of straw or other bedding even better).

Rules and regs in the uk say if you have cows on a slurry system,you must have storage for 6 months,which is costly ,and at the time the regs come in some farmers could not afford it, and sold up.

Most of the problems before the regs come in force, where bad storage systems, and slurry polluting rivers and watercourses.

Back in LOS talking to a farmer to-day about Thai disc spreaders,made near here ,the cost now is 150 000 baht for the large models and 120 000 for the smaller one.

The guy I was talking to has one and goes contracting ,spreading poultry manure, he has a Ford 6610 4WD,and a 35 HP Yanmar loader tractor he said he made 110 000 baht this year spreading poultry manure,but he did not say what his costs where,I would take off 40%,for costs.I think and,I forgot to ask ,to spread 1 load of poultry manure is 200 baht

This area is a big chicken area so there's a lot of poultry muck,but the spreading window is short,most goes on sugar cane land and some on cassava land before planting, normale February, March. into April a bit.

To make one pay I would want to use one for at least 6 -7 months of the year.

• 1 month later...

Was going through a few old photo's and found my truck that spread that crap.post-68260-0-27150600-1437386295_thumb.j

Looks a good bit of kit, uses discs to spread the manure,same idea as the spreaders ,that are built near me,he uses an old truck chassis,and axles with a body filled ,and a drawbar,all pto driven.

In the uk lime spreading contractors use a similar machine,in a few hours soon spread lime on a 50 acre field.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2 photos of a Thai made manure spreader ,the body is fitted to an old lorry chassis ,a simple gate at the back controls the flow, on to the spreading discs , ,this is a small model ,the bigger one is mounted on the same chassis, just a bigger body as I said before this area has a lot of chicken farms ,and a lot of chicken manure.

I think this was designed mainly for chicken manure in mind , what I have seen it makes a good job I rear a few cattle ,and with the recent rain my cow manure is a wet heap ,I do not think that this spreader would make a good job , they would be to many big lumps ,in the dry season with dry crumbly manure ,it would spread that well .cost is about 120 000 Bart.

post-173146-0-40939200-1441460483_thumb.

post-173146-0-74609700-1441460536_thumb.

The best and most long lasting manure spreader I have seen and used, the box for manure were made of hard wood which, was not affected by acid, etc from manue which the metal boxes seemed to rust out fairly quickly. The ones pictured seem like a little overkill, but Then I never operated a manure spreader on a hire basis. We used them maybe a total of 10 to 14 days a year .We only spread dry material and the rear spreader broke the larger pieces upp fairly good. if larger pieces a single pas with a tandom disk did the job plus it worked manure into the soil.

cleaned chiken houses, milking barn and feed lot where we fed 500+_ weaned calves for 2 to 3 months.

2 photos of a Thai made manure spreader ,the body is fitted to an old lorry chassis ,a simple gate at the back controls the flow, on to the spreading discs , ,this is a small model ,the bigger one is mounted on the same chassis, just a bigger body as I said before this area has a lot of chicken farms ,and a lot of chicken manure.

I think this was designed mainly for chicken manure in mind , what I have seen it makes a good job I rear a few cattle ,and with the recent rain my cow manure is a wet heap ,I do not think that this spreader would make a good job , they would be to many big lumps ,in the dry season with dry crumbly manure ,it would spread that well .cost is about 120 000 Bart.

KS how does the flow work,moving floor or chains with paddles connected between the chains..

And is the speed is driven of pto .

Are the spinners driven off the trailer axle.

That would have to hold at least 2 ton.

Would it spread lime or gypsum as well.

Edited by farmerjo

Hi FJ

The flows works, belts coming off the main PTO shaft ,the shaft in the middle, the belts going down ,turn a shaft ,that runs to the back of the machine ,into a bevel drive , that turns the spreading discs ,the shaft above the PTO shaft ,belt driven ,is in turn connected to the set of chain and sprockets, turns the shaft down the side of the machine into a bevel drive ( a cut down pick up differential ), a shaft coming out , goes in turn to the chain and cogs for the moving floor .

a simple arrangement , would not even get off the boat in our own country's ,no guards fitted what so ever, I would say you could get two tons of poultry manure in it ,it would spread lime and gypsum ,but it would be difficult to get an accurate rate applied ,the flow gate would not be good enough for an accurate delivery .

That is where that small disc spreader would come in ,the dealer owner said you could get 250 300 kg in the hopper ,but I think it could take more than that ,

The dealer is the same one that sells that set of spring tines, I posted in the maize thread ,

The dealer ,it is next to my local coffee shop and ,it has been there for at least a year ,the hopper in made of stainless steel ,the rest is ordinary steel, they is a calibration chart on the machine ,take a lot of guess work out, the price is 36 000 Bart ,made in LOS .

Hi slapout

It is a bit over kill ,but this is the smaller model ,the bigger one ,with the bigger body on looks better .

But if he used all new steel ,and not the second hand lorry chassis , and proper bevel drives, and not pickup differentials , he would have to put the price up 30-40%? would be to expensive for most farmers ,keep costs down ,same as seed drills ,the main frame is welded angle iron ,not box section ,which ,must be a lot more expensive ,or it is imported.

I will agree wooden sides would be better ,but wood is almost more expensive than steel ,that is why Thai house roofs are made of steel and not wood .

Near the top of my wish list is a manure spreader ,no more than 2 ton pay load, ,rear beaters ,not discs, I think if showed the maker of these spreaders, say a video and found some plans ,I think he could make one .

When I was they to day ,he had just finished making a grab for sugar cane ,and was making a bucket loader for a 4 wheel drive Ford .

post-173146-0-85369500-1441634950_thumb.

post-173146-0-87284400-1441635002_thumb.