Man flees Bangkok after stabbing girlfriend in broad daylight

webfact

Statistically speaking murder is common in Thailand. In fact, the figures for Homicide by Firearm are much worse in Thailand than even the USA.

Statistically you are 24x more likely to be a victim of homicide by firearm in Thailand than in the UK (Of course, it rarely affects expats or tourists). However you are 120x more likely to be a victim of car crime (theft of or from a vehicle) in the UK than you are in Thailand.

You know what they say about statistics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

USA and Thailand nearly same rate of murder = 5 p. 100.000 (2011)

There is, no trustworthy statistic which shows the homicide rate by firearm in TH.

USA is 2,8 fireram homicides p. 100.000 (2012)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

NATIONMASTER Website, where these crazy Thai numbers for Thai firearm killings come from.

is an outdated source, which shows also completely wrong numbers.

Somebody there, made some wrong multiplications, many years ago. blink.png

BUT, its forever in the Internet and people get confused.

NATIONMASTER - Murder with firearm 20.000 + p. year (2002) in TH,

all other sources write, 3.300 (2011) killed p. year in TH with any weapon - including firearm or no weapon whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a pretty disturbing video.

I'll still never understand how a person can hurt or kill another person so easily in this country...

One can only hope her family find him before the police...

Unbridled rage, possibly fueled by alcohol and Yaa Baa can often be the catalysts that result in people performing the most stupid and or heinous acts of violence against another person.

Cheers

I'll still never understand how a person can hurt or kill another person so easily in this country...

It's not a Thai thing. Don't you know that there are murders all over the world every day.

The point is not that there are murders all over the world - the point is how many per population density, the efforts made to apprehend them and the form of punishment the justice system meets out - if any at all. That is the measure for Thailand and one it does not measure up to very well on most counts.

here we go again "in this country" - cos all other countries are murder free right ?!!

Again for the hard of thinking Thailand is nowhere near the top of the murder league !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, but I'll bet you do not live or holiday in any of the top 5. Thailand is a popular tourist destination.

TOP 5

Honduras 90 murders p. 100.000 inhabitants

Venezuela 54

Virgin Islands - United States 53

Belize 45

El Salavador 41

Number 123 Thailand, from 239 countries wai2.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

here we go again "in this country" - cos all other countries are murder free right ?!!

Again for the hard of thinking Thailand is nowhere near the top of the murder league !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, but I'll bet you do not live or holiday in any of the top 5. Thailand is a popular tourist destination.

TOP 5

Honduras 90 murders p. 100.000 inhabitants

Venezuela 54

Virgin Islands - United States 53

Belize 45

El Salavador 41

Number 123 Thailand, from 239 countries wai2.gif

Yes - all very well looking at a table without thinking and believe the fallacy you see. Did you bother to read the notes. You might think it strange Singapore with a rate per 100,000 at 0.2 listed at No. 122 was a bit odd being just one position above Thailand with a rate of 5. But then I suppose you overlooked that in your desperation to be an apologist. Why not be a realist.

When you order it by rate per 100,000 people Singapore miraculously moves to position 3 just behind Lichtenstein and Monaco. It is in fact at position 106 near the top of the countries that are not in a war zone, in Africa or South America. Pretty much as expected. Of course you will also have to adjust for the way Thailand likes to hide everything and apportion a good number of 'suicides' as murders and then the picture would look even bloodier.

In the region only the Phillipines, Cambodia and Laos are above Thailand - now compare it with the European and Scandanavian countries and put things into perspective.

The issue is that Thailand is perceived as a safe place to holiday because of the false propaganda. Really it is safe if you keep out of hot spots and don't go on a rave, go drinking or wear skimpy clothes on the beach, don't use the roads etc. The idyllic islands where you can sit and watch the sunset with the warm sand beneath your feet belies the danger that lies await sometimes whether or not you are careful. People don;t go on holiday to be locked in a room scared to go out though so really it all has to get into perspective - which you are clearly trying to avoid.

it is premeditated attempted murder.

life sentence in Thai prison without the possibility of parole. Next.

Premeditated: characterized by fully conscious willful intent and a measure of forethought and planning

Not Premeditated; he picked up a pair of her scissors lying around the food stall/cart. Would be premeditated if he brought the scissors with him.

Hmmm so lots of Thai Visa users seem to want this man sent to jail for life with no parole.

Let's be a bit more sensible and remember that whatever the video appears to suggest, we have no way of knowing exactly what happened immediately prior to the video, and we don't know what was spoken.

I am certainly not suggesting that the guy is innocent of a crime, but I am absolutely saying that he deserves a fair trial to decide what he is guilty of.

There is nothing that I can see in that video that indicates attempted murder. Which means that if he is convicted of anything he will be out of prison quite soon and potentially a danger to others. It's possible that a time in prison will make him MORE of a danger.

The real answer, if he is convicted of an offence, is to try and combine an element of punishment with some sort of therapy so that when presented with this kind of situation in the future he acts differently.

For all you know he may have been victim of violence as a child, or he may have witnessed his father being violent to his mother. He may not know any other way of dealing with a situation except turning to violence. Do we really want to deal with these sort of people by simply taking them out of society for a few years and then unleash a more violent version of him on society ?

Hmmm so lots of Thai Visa users seem to want this man sent to jail for life with no parole.

Let's be a bit more sensible and remember that whatever the video appears to suggest, we have no way of knowing exactly what happened immediately prior to the video, and we don't know what was spoken.

I am certainly not suggesting that the guy is innocent of a crime, but I am absolutely saying that he deserves a fair trial to decide what he is guilty of.

There is nothing that I can see in that video that indicates attempted murder. Which means that if he is convicted of anything he will be out of prison quite soon and potentially a danger to others. It's possible that a time in prison will make him MORE of a danger.

The real answer, if he is convicted of an offence, is to try and combine an element of punishment with some sort of therapy so that when presented with this kind of situation in the future he acts differently.

For all you know he may have been victim of violence as a child, or he may have witnessed his father being violent to his mother. He may not know any other way of dealing with a situation except turning to violence. Do we really want to deal with these sort of people by simply taking them out of society for a few years and then unleash a more violent version of him on society ?

So you reckon multi stabbing someone is not attempted murder...?..........rolleyes.gif

If he wanted to send the bird a message I am sure a few slaps would have done that.

You seem to be making excuses for this bloke instead of thinking about the birds traumatic experience...sad.png

Yes, I AM suggesting that stabbing someone multiple times does NOT always make it murder, it very much depends on circumstances which are unknown in this case.

The act of murder or attempted murder is a STATE OF MIND at the time of the offence. It's simple really, if he went to the meeting with a knife and intended to kill her then its murder, if he arrived with no such intent and circumstances meant that things got out of control and then he picked up a knife (or scissors) and stabbed her multiple times then NO thats NOT automatically a murder. It would be a serious criminal offence that MAY warrant a life sentence, but that's not the point of my argument.

I am certainly not making excuses for anyone, I'm simply responding to a bunch of responses that say it's murder and he should spend the rest of his life in jail. That may be the case, but we cannot make that judgement.

I fully acknowledge that the experience was traumatic for the girl, I don't know the circumstances so I don't know if she was a helpless vicim or not.

Edited by technologybytes

I am in disbelief as to what some people think .......a knife is a no no FULL STOP.

If you pick up a knife to stab, the victim may live or they may not .... people can argue and disagree feel that they have lost face but in civilian life no one has the right to use a knife ...it's a weapon of potential death.
It's no good saying i didn't mean to kill ( that may be true or an easy lie) .... just a quarter of an inch to far in on a vital organ and death is very likely and everyone knows that! ......... this animal is and ought to be held accountable for his actions ...... he had no right to injure this girl in that manner and i hope she recovers fully ....... he is just a bullying bastard who would back away from a trained man.
There is no justification mate to use a knife in civilian life whatsoever .... Only in War.
Not on little girls for any reason whatsoever or any body unless it is a matter of life and death!

The problem is that we can't have a legal system that labels crimes by luck. For example, if an attacker stabs an unarmed person multiple times in the torso, it is attempted murder. Because the person could easily die in that attack, they are not surviving based on the actions of the attacker, but by luck. For this reason it is the action of the attacker that is judged as murderous, and not the outcome, which is based on luck.

I agree with you that prisons should attempt to punish and rehabilitate too. In an ideal world they would be offered education and training, and be forced to do productive work, while inside.

I'm not buying the bad childhood angle, not one little bit. I had a very bad childhood, many of my friends had terrible childhoods too, we grew up to be kindhearted and law-abiding people. It is often those who've seen the most bad, who only want to be good.

Yes we want to lock him up and NOT let him out. BTW you must be the only blind one (apology to the blind) watching this video. The precursor to this attempted murder has nothing to do with the crime committed. If he is a ding with WHATEVER sordid history and he chooses to deal with rejection like this then we do not need him wasting the good clean Thai air!

It's not a Thai thing. Don't you know that there are murders all over the world every day.

Everybody know it's happening all over the world, but is that a reason not to post or comment it at TV?

It is a Thai thing here in Thailand, if you don't understand that you need to read more news.

He has been arrested already now. He said the reason was because she had hit him earlier and run. Silly reason or a childish act i should say.

She hit him, he lost face big time and had to kill her to save face...Thainess at it's best :-(

So you reckon multi stabbing someone is not attempted murder...?..........rolleyes.gif

If he wanted to send the bird a message I am sure a few slaps would have done that.

You seem to be making excuses for this bloke instead of thinking about the birds traumatic experience...sad.png

Yes, I AM suggesting that stabbing someone multiple times does NOT always make it murder, it very much depends on circumstances which are unknown in this case.

The act of murder or attempted murder is a STATE OF MIND at the time of the offence. It's simple really, if he went to the meeting with a knife and intended to kill her then its murder, if he arrived with no such intent and circumstances meant that things got out of control and then he picked up a knife (or scissors) and stabbed her multiple times then NO thats NOT automatically a murder. It would be a serious criminal offence that MAY warrant a life sentence, but that's not the point of my argument.

I am certainly not making excuses for anyone, I'm simply responding to a bunch of responses that say it's murder and he should spend the rest of his life in jail. That may be the case, but we cannot make that judgement.

I fully acknowledge that the experience was traumatic for the girl, I don't know the circumstances so I don't know if she was a helpless vicim or not.

By picking up the knife, stabbing her multiple times, what do you think he was trying to do exactly? Tickle her?

"...so I don't know if she was a helpless vicim or not."

Really...what video were you watching exactly? Did you see her with a knife? A gun? A metal pipe?...she was pretty helpless as far as I could tell. A girl, being chased and stabbed by a guy. At what point does she not become helpless?

That's the problem with "politically correct" people. They don't see things for what they are, despite how obvious it might seem...sigh.