British tourist reportedly raped in Kanchanaburi

Thaivisa News

Welcome to Thailand the land of the smiles,i do not think this young women was laughing,who the hell wants to come to Thailand on holiday, she came here to enjoy herself. i know what you are going to say this happens all around the world,but this was gang rape,let us hope there was cameras about so theses men can be put away for a long time.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Victim blaming: She was dressed as a slut so she had it coming.

Common sense: You shouldn't walk alone and drunk in the middle of the night in a remote area in a third-world country because it is dangerous.

Another old fart comment, 19yrs old, and travelling the world. She did not deserve this, and frankly your comment says a lot about your character.

Another troll comment which frankly says a lot about your character.

It's just common sense as I said. No one is saying she deserved it, we're just saying that you can take precautions to stay safe - it doesn't matter how old the person is, what their gender is, or what they're doing.

People who cry "victim blaming" every time people try to give helpful advice are doing a disservice to others by creating more innocent victims for criminals to prey upon. "How dare you give advice on how to avoid being a victim? I should be able to do anything I want and be completely immune to criminals!"

Why do you hope they catch the rapist and throw away the key? You know that is not going to happen here as you stated. Is that not your Judaeo-Christian upbringing speaking? Are you not looking down on Thailand's judicial and value systems?

CB

Please explain Thai Judicial values?

Welcome to Thailand the land of the smiles,i do not think this young women was laughing,who the hell wants to come to Thailand on holiday, she came here to enjoy herself. i know what you are going to say this happens all around the world,but this was gang rape,let us hope there was cameras about so theses men can be put away for a long time.

there is a false sense of security in Thailand

Most of these western girls don't realise what savages are roaming around out there.

Indeed. People need to be aware that Thailand is just like other countries.

Of course I do not blame the victim, but seriously, why do teenage tourists think getting drunk in a 3rd world country and wandering around like it's Disney World. Most Thai people have little and nothing to lose, they are not governed by the same controls found in the Nanny states. Tourist need to relaize that coming here and getting drunk and stoned and taking chances is not a good idea. I hope the catch the rapist and throw away the key, but of course, they will likely get 3 yrs, and then only if they are over 18.

You just did blame the victim.

Why do holiday makers think they can wear a bikini in when on holiday.

Why did the man have his money in his pocket when he was drinking.

Why did the girl smile and chat with the taxi driver.

It is your attitude that continues to give excuses to violent behaviour.

She is on holiday. She went out for drinks. She walked back to her hotel. She chatted to some friendly motorcycle guys. As you chat with friendly girls.

Maybe they offered her a ride back to the hotel.

She did nothing wrong.

This government needs to step up punishment of offences against foreigners.especially crimes of rape and violence. Nobody cares about a bag snatch or a scam here and there for a few hundred baht. The violence against foreigners in this country is the worst in the entire world.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but Thailand is very, very, far away from being the most violent against foreigners. You might want to travel more before making this statement. I feel safer here than in 30 different countries. South Africa you can not be out after dark. Caracas, even with police with machine guns every 30 feet, is filled with thieves. Go to Tijuana or Juarez. You will catch the next plane back to Thailand for safety.

How do you abduct someone on a motorcycle? Who holds her down if she is being held against her will?

whoooa hold on there a minute Chuck Norris.. Never seen more than 2 people on a bike in Thailand? What if one of these little maggots pulled a gun or a knife on her? One drives she sits in the middle and another sits behind her with said weapon at her back, head or throat. Possible then? of course many on here would have used there extensive martial skills to take them all out and ridden off into the sunset, maybe she hadn't seen those movies. There is of course the chance that she unfortunately (perhaps stupidly) went with them willingly and things went South quickly after that.

Sadly is there anywhere in the world that anyone would be safe in public, and drunk, at that time of morning, ?

I feel sorry she seem'd not to know this.

What a lifetime memory ahead she'll have in learning that lesson.

(And yes, many rapes happen in private, from persons known to them.)

Edited by Jing Joe

So, its her fault for being dressed lightly, in this heatwave which feels a hundred times hotter for anyone experiencing it the first-time. Its her fault for getting drunk which people do to celebrate arriving on a paradise holiday with their friends. Its the fault of all official motorcyle-enthusiast groups. Its the fault of Thais, its the fault of foreigners. Its the fault of nanny states for making people feel too safe back home, even though there are horrific organised rape alliances back home, and insane random street violence back home.

How about, its the fault of scumbags? Universal scumbags as can be found the world over. Scumbags who should be made an example of in the legal system, by getting a jail sentence so huge that it it strikes fear into the dark hearts of other scumbags and proto-scumbags everywhere, thus lowering the future incidences of scumbaggery.

On the more general point, I do agree that one should always take great care when travelling, and to keep the wits sharp. But it is one thing saying that as a philosophical perspective on travel generally, and it is another when you are young and arriving on your paradise holiday, you would feel so happy that its easy to forget caution. But the fault is the criminals and their feelings of impunity, which only the system can change.

Common sense: You shouldn't walk alone and drunk in the middle of the night in a remote area in a third-world country because it is dangerous.

Another old fart comment, 19yrs old, and travelling the world. She did not deserve this, and frankly your comment says a lot about your character.

Another troll comment which frankly says a lot about your character.

It's just common sense as I said. No one is saying she deserved it, we're just saying that you can take precautions to stay safe - it doesn't matter how old the person is, what their gender is, or what they're doing.

People who cry "victim blaming" every time people try to give helpful advice are doing a disservice to others by creating more innocent victims for criminals to prey upon. "How dare you give advice on how to avoid being a victim? I should be able to do anything I want and be completely immune to criminals!"

just because someone disagrees with your opinion it doesn't make them a troll. ...and frankly there's a lot to disagree with in your attitude.....do you realise even in this response you are resorting to stereotyping? - to wit - "People who cry "victim blaming" etc. etc.

Where does it say the biker gang was Thai...?

Also, this even happens in the nanny states, bikers all over the world make a point of raping, its a male chauvinistic culture that endorses abuse and objectification of women... this happens often even in the most highly "nannied" states... bikers are just scum with a delusional sense of entitlement and a perverted perspective on life, values, fellow human beings and society !

Having reported the crime proves well for the young lass... don't let these pathetic thugs have the better of her... !

When the OP doesn't mention race, religion, or country of origin, it is almost always a Thai involved. They love to bash farangs, but you usually have to dig when the alleged criminal is a Thai national.

..................."They love to bash farangs"....................says the guy whose post is aimed at bashing Thais.

What a hypocritical joke some posters are.................clap2.gif

0130 am is not excessively late in a self-promoted tourist area. Go to Kanchanaburi and you will know that the main tourist area, where the majority of the guest houses, restaurants and bars are is hardly a no-man's land after dark. Chances are that this poor lass was had simply gone into a 7-11 on her way home and stupidly let her guard down (because she had been drinking?) and allowed herself to be befriended by these guys. Guilty only of misplacing trust .

I've been visiting Kanchanaburi for well over twenty years now, and believe me this is small potatoes to what's gone on there in the past. I'm very sorry for the girl, but hey, drunk in Kan at night is not the best idea...... She's actually lucky that she wasn't killed........ Remember the Police Sergeant shooting and running over the two Brits a few years ago, or the Police officers son extorting money from bars and then shooting one bar up because they wouldn't pay, resulting in the death of an Australian nurse ? It's a very long sad list, but of course in the LOS, 200 bht fine , and three hail Buddhas and all's ok.........

How about, its the fault of scumbags? Universal scumbags as can be found the world over. Scumbags who should be made an example of in the legal system, by getting a jail sentence so huge that it it strikes fear into the dark hearts of other scumbags and proto-scumbags everywhere, thus lowering the future incidences of scumbaggery.

We all agree, it's the fault of the scumbags.

But what practical advice would we give to a woman staying in Kanchanaburi tonight (or contemplating a trip in the near future), given what has happened? Rid the world of scumbags?

Phew a lot of varied comments here.

Yes, I did my share of stupid things as a teenager as all do and fortunately I never encountered problems like this youngster.

However being male helps of course ( no I never got raped! )

This group got very drunk and did not take care of their travel mates which is not good.

I am sorry this happened to her but I do think she brought it on herself.

No doubt dressed in a provocative way which to a local says 'She wants it!'

How do you get a person onto a motor bike if they are unwilling to? Unlike a car.

Not easy me thinks.

I suggest she went with them of her own drunken volition and then found out what all young hot blooded males want.

I used to live in Issan and no Thai girl would go out at night by herself even in her village!

In a restaurant they would pair up to go to the toilet.

She needs to get tests done.

No Thai would have done this.

She was willing and enjoyed it.

She was wearing a bikini.

These are the three big whales the Thai presumption of innocence sits on squarely.

Of course I do not blame the victim, but seriously, why do teenage tourists think getting drunk in a 3rd world country and wandering around like it's Disney World. Most Thai people have little and nothing to lose, they are not governed by the same controls found in the Nanny states. Tourist need to relaize that coming here and getting drunk and stoned and taking chances is not a good idea. I hope the catch the rapist and throw away the key, but of course, they will likely get 3 yrs, and then only if they are over 18.

You just did blame the victim.

Why do holiday makers think they can wear a bikini in when on holiday.

Why did the man have his money in his pocket when he was drinking.

Why did the girl smile and chat with the taxi driver.

It is your attitude that continues to give excuses to violent behaviour.

She is on holiday. She went out for drinks. She walked back to her hotel. She chatted to some friendly motorcycle guys. As you chat with friendly girls.

Maybe they offered her a ride back to the hotel.

She did nothing wrong.

This government needs to step up punishment of offences against foreigners.especially crimes of rape and violence. Nobody cares about a bag snatch or a scam here and there for a few hundred baht. The violence against foreigners in this country is the worst in the entire world.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but Thailand is very, very, far away from being the most violent against foreigners. You might want to travel more before making this statement. I feel safer here than in 30 different countries. South Africa you can not be out after dark. Caracas, even with police with machine guns every 30 feet, is filled with thieves. Go to Tijuana or Juarez. You will catch the next plane back to Thailand for safety.

Good post. It's quite apparent that some people have very limited experience of the world!

To all of you saying he is blaming the victim are the result of political correctness gone bad. He is stating reality which for the PC seems it is very hard to understand. Women get raped here and men donot suffer accept that A young vulnerable woman has a very good chance of being raped at 1:30 in the morning if alone. This is not Kansas Dorothy. Here you take your chances and some pay.Here you are on your own. No safety nets.Cannot blame the victim for ignorance but can try to educate others to be vigilant and stay in groups, His post was more to warn than to judge. Learn to read and comprehend please. And not make quick conventional judgements.

I amnot talking without experience. I have been mugged in the Bahamas,robbed in Mexico by a gang,left for dead in Thailand. So this is experience not some guy talking off the top his head.

Edited by lovelomsak

Fact is Thailand is full of rapists. Making yourself a target is stupid, but not a crime.

TAT won't put out pamphlets urging females to keep their wits about, though. They're too scared of the PC folks getting in a hissy fit and the result is, careless tourists keep on getting raped and killed.

We all agree, it's the fault of the scumbags.

But what practical advice would we give to a woman staying in Kanchanaburi tonight (or contemplating a trip in the near future), given what has happened? Rid the world of scumbags?

I don't have advice, it is just common sense that many attacks would not happen if the the attacker felt it was highly possible they would get caught and spend a long time in jail.

Some attackers will of course continue to attack regardless of consequences, but your average opportunistic scumbag won't risk 20 years in the slammer for something like this. With a low probability of arrest, and light sentences, it is a different proposition entirely.

Edit ; And I actually answered your question in the part of my post you edited out of your /quote. I said one should obviously take great care when travelling. But that this is easy to remember in principle, and harder for young people to remember when they are swept away on their holiday buzz. And that this is not their fault, it is a system that spends its whole time selling dream holidays to people, then doesn't regulate to protect those people properly when they arrive. Next time please don't cut my quote down by 2/3 and then ask me a question I already commented on in the snipped piece, thankyou.

Edited by Yunla

Another troll comment

It's just common sense as I said.

No, it's not. fishbrando . Please explain to me how much common sense you had at 19? What were you doing at 19? Did you scour the internet for travel advice at age 19? Did you take perhaps a trip of a lifetime at 19? Did you factor GANG RAPE to the equation?

I am going to take a wild guess here, but my money is on this lady at the age of 19, did what most people at the age of 19 would dream of. She took a trip to <enter any exotic location here>.

No matter if she was drunk, on drugs, dressed seductively, or trusted the wrong people.

If the story is true, it's a horrendous crime.

Do you have any sisters or female loved ones in your life?

If so, shame on you.

Regardless of what time it was or what she was wearing these bastards need putting down.

I think we all agree with that.

But what would you tell your daughter/ sister if she called and said she was staying in Kanchanaburi tonight? Or planning a trip to Kanchanaburi in the near future?

Another troll comment

It's just common sense as I said.

No, it's not. fishbrando . Please explain to me how much common sense you had at 19? What were you doing at 19? Did you scour the internet for travel advice at age 19? Did you take perhaps a trip of a lifetime at 19? Did you factor GANG RAPE to the equation?

I am going to take a wild guess here, but my money is on this lady at the age of 19, did what most people at the age of 19 would dream of. She took a trip to <enter any exotic location here>.

No matter if she was drunk, on drugs, dressed seductively, or trusted the wrong people.

If the story is true, it's a horrendous crime.

Do you have any sisters or female loved ones in your life?

If so, shame on you.

Hey Taco maybe put the blame on her parents if you want to justify ignorance. What responsible parents would allow a young daughter to go out in the world without a good understanding of the risk and teaching common sense before she left her home country.Yes we were all young once and we also made mistakes, but the world was different then too. She definitely didnot deserve what happened no one does. But attacking others doesnot fix it either.

Edited by lovelomsak

poor kid

Sociopaths, serial killers, robbers and rapists are everywhere. Thailand is no different. Some street smarts would have helped here. Failing that, some common sense. Would she be walking alone at 1:30 am while drunk in Mexico or any other "developing country"?

Did she do anything wrong? No. Could it have been prevented? Absolutely.

Don't accept candy from strangers, don't help the guy in the creepy Van find his puppy. Don't stagger around drunk in third world countries after dark. This is basic stuff.

I've been visiting Kanchanaburi for well over twenty years now, and believe me this is small potatoes to what's gone on there in the past. I'm very sorry for the girl, but hey, drunk in Kan at night is not the best idea...... She's actually lucky that she wasn't killed........ Remember the Police Sergeant shooting and running over the two Brits a few years ago, or the Police officers son extorting money from bars and then shooting one bar up because they wouldn't pay, resulting in the death of an Australian nurse ? It's a very long sad list, but of course in the LOS, 200 bht fine , and three hail Buddhas and all's ok.........

Oh! So that's OK then.....a sound explanation for the whole thing.

IMO - there are some people posting here who have a very blinkered view on life.