trip to Hanoi

lasidaho

If you can, pre arrange a taxi with your hotel. We got scammed there and are relatively well seasoned travelers. They are good! Plus, did the ol' change of hotel tricks. Took me to a hotel and swore it was the one I had a reservation at. Name in the front didn't even match! Super long yelling match to get him to take me where I asked.

If someone approaches you on the street saying they want to practice English, or are selling Nike tennis shoes, keep walking. Great scams.

If you can, get a copy of the Lonely Planet guide book. It's not only got a lot of great info, but has a wonderful walking route of the old town. Excellent walk.

I quite liked the day trip to some village outside town, down a river, and to a cave. Absolutely wonderful. Halong bay is great also, but best if done overnight.

Have some wonderful local beer while you are there!

In no particular order:

- Definitely pre-arrange a taxi with the hotel if it's available. Much less hassle and you'll pay the right price. The ride from the airport takes 45-60 mins.

- If you are paying for a visa upon arrival (with the official permission letter in hand that you obtained prior to leaving), you can pay in either USD or VND. That process took about 45 mins after arrival.

- Crossing a busy street is an adventure....look straight ahead, walk at a constant pace. Do not run. Cars/bikes will continue coming at you but will move to avoid hitting you. Sounds crazy but that's how you do it.

- In the Old City area there are a few places that sell bia hoi in the afternoons, basically fresh beer made that day. You sit on tiny little stools and drink mugs of it with snacks. It's only 3.2% beer so it isn't very strong but the experience is kinda fun and it's cheap, really cheap.

- You can easily walk around the lake in 45 mins, very pleasant stroll.

- Pho gets all the press but I enjoyed a noodle soup dish called bun bo Hue, similar to pho but better, IMO. Don't expect a lot of variety in local food.

Be sure to see the Water Puppet show. Halong Bay is great but with only 4 days you would be a bit rushed. If someone is offering a day trip there (Halong Bay) then you should consider it depending on whatever other sights you plan to visit. We enjoyed our week there a couple years ago.

Take a stroll around Hoan Kiem lake. At the southwest corner, there is a small kiosk restaurant - great place to sit, have a cold drink, and people watch.

Visit the Temple of Literature (1000+ years old) and while there, have lunch at KOTO across the street - a great restaurant staffed by former street kids.

Visit the Ho Chi Minh Masoleum and gardens - go early.

In the evening, go to the area near St. Joseph's Cathedral (Ly Quoc Su and Nha Tho intersection) - several restaurants and a meeting area for Vietnamese college students - the places are packed and you kids will love it.

Take a cyclo ride from in front of the Metropole Hotel.

Good advice above on crossing the street - walk steady, look straight ahead, and don't stop - the motorbikes will come close but not hit you. Kind of like swimming through a school of fish...heh