Lost passport renewal of visas - Immigration want receipts of payment of original visa stamps?

Being my usual helpful self here....

My friend has been to immigration to get her visa stamps transferred into her new passport.

She has the paperwork including Police report of lost PP, Embassy letter, new PP too.

Copies on her phone of her NonB and 90 day stamps, all valid.

Immigration say they want to see receipts of her payment for the visas before they transfer them.

She has no receipts.

Is this normal - to need to show receipts?

They don't transfer visas. They will only stamp the last entry in the passport.

If she has an extension of stay they will do the most recent extension stamp, do an annotation of the visa used for entry that she has been extending and the entry stamp from it. I have never heard of them asking for the receipt for an extension to do the transfer.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the very first step by the military in their struggle and war against corruption. I mean many many people "buy" their extensions för 20.000 baht up to maybe 60.000 baht and no receipts......

So be aware you guys that are buying your way here in Thailand.

Glegolo

Do immigration transfer (multiple) re-entry permits to new passports?

What ever is valid in the old passport will be transfered, as your re-entry permit supports your extension of stay it will be transfered.

• Like 2

Do immigration transfer (multiple) re-entry permits to new passports?

What ever is valid in the old passport will be transfered, as your re-entry permit supports your extension of stay it will be transfered.

They transfer extension stamp, valid re-entry permit, if any, and they will make a note of the visa & visa entry you used when obtaining the extension.

As noted above, they do not transfer visas. If you still have a valid visa that you need to use for entries (as opposed to an existing extension & re-entry permit), you present both the old and new passport to immigrations at airports or border crossings.

Edited by Suradit69

They transfer extension stamp, valid re-entry permit, if any, and they will make a note of the visa & visa entry you used when obtaining the extension.

As noted above, they do not transfer visas. If you still have a valid visa that you need to use for entries (as opposed to an existing extension & re-entry permit), you present both the old and new passport to immigrations at airports or border crossings.

you present both the old and new passport to immigrations at airports or border crossings.

It seems that will not be possible in this case. The original passport was stolen.

I can actually appreciate why they may want original receipts where the old passport is unavailable. Images are too easily faked, and the information on their computers may not be 100% reliable. There may be a need to involve a third party who can make suitable "arrangements".

I don't think l ever got a receipt from any Thai consulate for any of my visas. The most I ever got was a stamp FEE PAID or the same text in French stamped next to the visa.

you present both the old and new passport to immigrations at airports or border crossings.

It seems that will not be possible in this case. The original passport was stolen.

I can actually appreciate why they may want original receipts where the old passport is unavailable. Images are too easily faked, and the information on their computers may not be 100% reliable. There may be a need to involve a third party who can make suitable "arrangements".

A visa is lost when the passport is lost. A new visa will have to be applied for at an embassy or consulate.

For an extension of stay immigration will have a record of in their computers plus since you have to do the stamp transfer where you got your extension they could pull out your file to verify it.

• Like 1

"all papers is ok. i need your old passport copy, visa page and the receipt you paid for the visa"

Is what the lady at immigration said.

Considering the passport was reported stolen and a police report made previously and shown to immigration, her words seem at odds with my understanding of what happens when you present you new passport to them.

As it turns out, the copy she has on her phone of her stamps and of her old passport is not enough.

BUT the director of her last school apparently has a copy and he has now said he will go to immigration with her to try and sort things out.

Was she trying to it at the office where you applied for her last extension of stay (is not a visa). If not that could be part of the problem.

There have been people that that have been able to have their extension reinstated without any copies.

Can she not print out the copies on her phone?

"all papers is ok. i need your old passport copy, visa page and the receipt you paid for the visa"

Considering the passport was reported stolen and a police report made previously and shown to immigration, her words seem at odds with my understanding of what happens when you present you new passport to them.

As it turns out, the copy she has on her phone of her stamps and of her old passport is not enough.

BUT the director of her last school apparently has a copy and he has now said he will go to immigration with her to try and sort things out.

If your friend is seeking the reinstatement of a visa she will be disappointed as cannot be done.

As ubonjoe states

"They will only stamp the last entry in the passport.

If she has an extension of stay they will do the most recent extension stamp, do an annotation of the visa used for entry that she has been extending and the entry stamp from it."

Did you actually hear the Immigration Officer state what you are reporting ?

I don't think l ever got a receipt from any Thai consulate for any of my visas. The most I ever got was a stamp FEE PAID or the same text in French stamped next to the visa.

Penang always issue a receipt with the fee you paid and the date.

As do Seoul

post-98036-0-22365600-1432956319_thumb.j

• Like 1

I even go further...

Every legit visa, from a regular embassy, will come with a receipt, stating: receipt nr, your full name, visa type, visa nr and the visa fee payed. Signed by the cashier.

This is at least for my last 3 years...

Technically the statement of UJ is correct, passport lost is visa lost, however in this case, the officer wants to help on a sincere base.

Thanks to the OP, we have some copy more to carry with us that could help to solve possible issues.

As i stated in my other postings, Thai officials are not "unwilling" to help, most of the time however we start to debate with them...

Agree. The first ever visa I got was a two-entry tourist visa in Washington DC. I actually asked for a receipt when I dropped off the application and paid, and the nice lady said something to the effect of "visa will be your receipt", which kinda makes sense. Why do I need a second slip of paper certifying that the first slip of paper is valid. What's next? A third slip of paper certifying that the receipt is valid?

I mean many many people "buy" their extensions for 20.000 baht up to maybe 60.000 baht and no receipts.

I've got this mental image of you sitting at immigration taking careful notes on how people are acquiring their extensions. Even if somebody does have a friend on the inside, how does a receipt prevent this? If there's a crooked immigration official issuing extension stamps for sixty thousand baht, what's to stop him from issuing a receipt as well?

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 1

Why take any chances going that way for 20,000 baht or more if the figures quoted are real.

In the long run it's always cheaper to do it legally. If any country in the world requires a certain amount of cash in the bank before they issue a visa then people who come here should comply. If you can't afford it then think about somewhere else.

I only wish the UK applied the same rules to certain people who turn up illegally, demand and most likely get all the financial help they say they neeed.

Rant over.

• Like 1

If your friend is seeking the reinstatement of a visa she will be disappointed as cannot be done.

As ubonjoe states

"They will only stamp the last entry in the passport.

If she has an extension of stay they will do the most recent extension stamp, do an annotation of the visa used for entry that she has been extending and the entry stamp from it."

Did you actually hear the Immigration Officer state what you are reporting ?

She told me on LINE what the officer said. And as an English teacher, her English is good. As was the English of the immigration officer.

Was she at Chonburi immigration (Jomtien) where she go her last extension of stay (not a visa) when you asked for the stamps to be done in her new passport.

It is unusual for immigration to ask for the receipt for the most recent extension.

At Vientiane I got one, but I had to ask them for it. At first they just handed me the passport with no receipt.

Was she at Chonburi immigration (Jomtien) where she go her last extension of stay (not a visa) when you asked for the stamps to be done in her new passport.

It is unusual for immigration to ask for the receipt for the most recent extension.

Chon Buri immigration itself, not Jomtien, as she teaches at school down Chon Buri way.

Tokyo also always issue a receipt with the fee you paid and the date.