Alcohol sales banned on Vesak Day

Alcohol sales banned on Vesak Day

BANGKOK, 29 May 2015 (NNT) – The Ministry of Interior has instructed all agencies under its supervision to closely monitor entertainment venues, hotels and liquor shops across the country to make sure they abide by the alcohol-control law on Vesak Day.

According to deputy permanent- secretary of the Ministry of Interior Apinan Suethanuwong, sales of alcoholic drinks are strictly prohibited during Vesak Day. The ban is in line with the alcohol beverage control act BE 2551 (2008) which stipulates that sales or consumption of alcoholic beverages are disallowed on important religious days. Those caught having violated the law will be persecuted.

Vesak Day marks the days of birth, enlightenment and passing of Buddha. It is traditionally observed by Buddhists in different parts of the world. In Thailand, Vesak Day this year falls on June 1. The Ministry of Interior plays a leading role in the celebration of this important day by holding 12-day activities across the country starting from May 29 until June 9.

Aside from joining the merit-making campaign launched by the Ministry of Interior, Mr. Apinan said the general public could help improve society by simply taking part in useful activities they prefer, such as doing community work for the underprivileged or making donations.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-29 footer_n.gif

Would be a little easier to respect, if Thailand was indeed a nation living in accordance with Lord Buddha's teachings!!

So sex---smoking---and other frowned upon Thai activities overcharging---are condoned by Lord Bhuddah ?? SALES banned -----but consumption OK. ??

I'm a longtime teetotaler and these special "don't drink days" are sort of funny to me, its like them telling me its "don't stick a fork in your eye day" or something, its just something I totally wasn't planning to do anyway.

Everybody knows you can buy your beer or Hong Tong, etc. in the nearby local shop (making part of the house) where they know you.

Just take a bag so people can not see what you buy and drink inside so noboby see and nobody feels offend.

Would be a little easier to respect, if Thailand was indeed a nation living in accordance with Lord Buddha's teachings!!

So sex---smoking---and other frowned upon Thai activities overcharging---are condoned by Lord Bhuddah ?? SALES banned -----but consumption OK. ??

Alcohol will be consumed -I know for a fact in most of Issan--ie., half the population for starters. It seems to me it is a publicity thing given out to try to promote Thailand --who conform on religious days.

The fact is it affects the tourism industry very bad, and for Thailand to moan about tourism numbers etc, it all takes some weighing up.

I'm a longtime teetotaler and these special "don't drink days" are sort of funny to me, its like them telling me its "don't stick a fork in your eye day" or something, its just something I totally wasn't planning to do anyway.

Clearly after you stopped drinking, you joined the holier-than-thou-movement..................coffee1.gif

Exactly. The idea that only monks should not drink or eat meat is already hypocrisy. Making noise about no alcohol on religious holidays and about enforcing it "strictly" is just a way for hypocrites to feel good about themselves. Wearing amulets, wai-ing Buddha images, and abstaining from alcohol a few days a year doesn't make you a Buddhist any more than wearing a cross (or getting a large one tattooed on your chest) or going to church once a week (or three times a year!) makes you a Christian.

The early Buddhists were prescient, predicting that by the 5th 500-year period after the Buddha's death the teachings would be ignored and only the superficial semblance of Buddhism would remain. And here we are, right on schedule.

Better to be a beer-swilling, burger-pounding skirt chaser and honest about it than a hypocrite.

And Buddha told: Who don't want to follow me must be punished!

I think 6 month jail for selling alcohol.....

I think the word hypocrites is just not enough, it is actually disregarding the religion.

whistling.gif I love this time of year.....it is so much fun to watch the limey lushes moaning and groaning about not being able to get their nightly beer.

How nice to see them suffer.

Nobody is suffering. As another poster pointed out it is quite easy to buy alcohol on any day. The same, another poster pointed out in Issan drinking on holidays like this is normal.

Only the GOV wants it to look like their are real Buddhists in Thailand. It is, of course, all for show just like everything else.

I'm not saying their are not good and real Buddhists anymore. But they are few and far between nowadays.

One of the shops in my soi is run by a family heavily involved with activities at the temple directly opposite and wouldn't sell alcohol on religious holidays. In recent times the policy has stopped and I wonder if they were swayed by the fact the old lady in the shop next to their's has no hesitation in selling.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

It isn't the 'getting' of the alcohol or even the consumption but rather the lack of choice of venue on such days. Drinking at home by yourself is not very healthy and the encouragement to do so just shows how spiteful some posters are.

Clearly after you stopped drinking, you joined the holier-than-thou-movement..................coffee1.gif

Not at all. I have a serious illness that stops me drinking. Theres no morality, its just medical. Other people should do what they want, its not my business lol.

One of the shops in my soi is run by a family heavily involved with activities at the temple directly opposite and wouldn't sell alcohol on religious holidays. In recent times the policy has stopped and I wonder if they were swayed by the fact the old lady in the shop next to their's has no hesitation in selling.

We had our house blessed some time ago. The guy who is singing with the monks (called a khammakahn or something, he is not a monk) drank 3 big bottles of Chang after the ceremony. At 9 in the morning... 5 precepts? Alai wah?

We had our house blessed some time ago. The guy who is singing with the monks (called a khammakahn or something, he is not a monk) drank 3 big bottles of Chang after the ceremony. At 9 in the morning... 5 precepts? Alai wah?

I think the Thai word for labourer is something like "gam agon". Perhaps he was one of the builders and was there giving thanks your house didn't fall down (and enjoying three Changs).

Edited by ratcatcher

I think the Thai word for labourer is something like "gam agon". Perhaps he was one of the builders and was there giving thanks your house didn't fall down (and enjoying three Changs).

No, it's the guy doing the singing in the Wat too. He sings something and then the monks repeat after him.

A normal worker is called "chang" falling tone, so not elephant...

clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif - Darn, you beat me to it.

So to confirm, bars will be open 31 night through to 1st, but closed on the 1st night? or bars have to close at midnight on 31st and can reopen at midnight on 1st?

I too am unclear as to exact enforcement, but I assume open until midnight of 31st, and closed thereafter until midnight of 1st.