Property prices dropping

rocketboybkk

Here's a Thai website which allows you to track projects price valuations.

http://www.hipflat.co.th/en/pattaya/condo

And "yes", the trend for Pattaya has been going down fairly steadily.

This last affirmation is in contradiction with the link you gave above.

I don't see prices falling on http://www.hipflat.co.th/en/search/condo-for-sale/pattaya wink.png

I see prices falling in some projects on this website but this could be attributed to location, location, location, which has been discussed before.

No doubt. I looked at the prices in View Talay 6. Location, Location for sure.

Plenty of empty stuff even in VT6 for rent. The actual average rental received over a 12 month period not equivalent to the headline high season rate and that goes for everywhere.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Construction is scheduled for the vacant lot next to VT6. Does anyone know when it starts?

That is bad. GLTA in VT6.

I look at this empty property on the satellite view on my maps program. I wonder what that piece of land is worth?

It is big enough for a VT9 buildings Y and Z.

• 3 months later...

Just came back from Pattaya.

Prices are still falling and a number of the condo developments that were sold primarily to Russians off plan have been re-introduced to the market (albeit the down payments were absorbed by developers, no doubt).

The ruble is worth nothing still and the reflection has never been more present in the numbers of tourists, peg rate and re-introduction of units.

However, my house in inter-Jomiten (beach side Thappraya) has increased. A 1 bed, 1 bath, 1 living room near my house just went in 1 month for 4.1 M baht.

My advice, for real potential profits, is befriend a realtor or realtors. Find pre-market sales or homeowners who approach realtors for sale. Look for properties as close to the seaboard and baht bus route as possible. The house or condo isn't as important as its location (renovation is inexpensive).

A possible steal is the unit developments which are being done South of Lumpo Market in Jomtien. The re-routing of the baht bus route is going through again and will continue down Thappraya into Chayapruek (returning route will either be Jomtien beach road or Sukhimvitt).

I consider the prices absurd high at the moment and refuse to buy at these prices.

My real estate agent tried to sell me a unit at Southpoint, with the free 20 year visa (which is actually 5 years if I understood it correctly), I checked the prices and condos start at 3 million for approx 30 square meter, omb, that's 100k baht per m2. I'm no expert but sounds like a pretty poor deal to me.

Went to view another condo today, 1,6 mill at Jomtien soi 12, Beach 7 Condominium I think it's called, 7 storeys high, the unit is 46m2 so sound good when the guy told me in a bar. However when I went there the outside of the building has a huge amount of plastered cracks in the walls. Guess that says enough about the quality of the whole building, it's only 5 year old according to the guy that wants to sell it but I doubt it will last for dozens of years. According to images from Google Maps they sold it back then for 795,000 baht starting price per unit. Guess can't expect much for such price?

I consider the prices absurd high at the moment and refuse to buy at these prices.

My real estate agent tried to sell me a unit at Southpoint, with the free 20 year visa (which is actually 5 years if I understood it correctly), I checked the prices and condos start at 3 million for approx 30 square meter, omb, that's 100k baht per m2. I'm no expert but sounds like a pretty poor deal to me.

Went to view another condo today, 1,6 mill at Jomtien soi 12, Beach 7 Condominium I think it's called, 7 storeys high, the unit is 46m2 so sound good when the guy told me in a bar. However when I went there the outside of the building has a huge amount of plastered cracks in the walls. Guess that says enough about the quality of the whole building, it's only 5 year old according to the guy that wants to sell it but I doubt it will last for dozens of years. According to images from Google Maps they sold it back then for 795,000 baht starting price per unit. Guess can't expect much for such price?

If I were buying condos.

A) I think it is called Novanna (near the flyover going into Jomtien). 2 year old building and furnished are going for about 1.4/1.5MB. 3 minutes from Walking Street. Resale potential.

B) View Talay 2B (can't stress B enough; next to TMB Bank Jomtien). 5 years ago the coop was taken over by expats from developers. Sinking fund actually goes to maintenance, management and security. Studio goes for roughly 1.8MB but the prices stay stead or rise. Individual metered and an all around good development. Shopettes downstairs.

C) Mentioned before, new developments along Thappraya going off to Chayapruek.

D) Hyde Park 2 (in Jomtien in back street opposite Residence Garden). Well maintained, 4 minutes from Walking Street, resale potential, 2.3MB

If I were buying condos.

A) I think it is called Novanna (near the flyover going into Jomtien). 2 year old building and furnished are going for about 1.4/1.5MB. 3 minutes from Walking Street. Resale potential.

cool.png View Talay 2B (can't stress B enough; next to TMB Bank Jomtien). 5 years ago the coop was taken over by expats from developers. Sinking fund actually goes to maintenance, management and security. Studio goes for roughly 1.8MB but the prices stay stead or rise. Individual metered and an all around good development. Shopettes downstairs.

D) Hyde Park 2 (in Jomtien in back street opposite Residence Garden). Well maintained, 4 minutes from Walking Street, resale potential, 2.3MB

Just visit the expat condo site for View Talay 2B, studio for 2,2mill and they claim expected rent price of 15k-24k/mo dependent on length of stay etc. I find that kind of hard to believe, do you agree?

Hyde Park 2 sounds interesting, thanks for those mentions!

If I were buying condos.

cool.png View Talay 2B (can't stress B enough; next to TMB Bank Jomtien). 5 years ago the coop was taken over by expats from developers. Sinking fund actually goes to maintenance, management and security. Studio goes for roughly 1.8MB but the prices stay stead or rise. Individual metered and an all around good development. Shopettes downstairs.

Just visit the expat condo site for View Talay 2B, studio for 2,2mill and they claim expected rent price of 15k-24k/mo dependent on length of stay etc. I find that kind of hard to believe, do you agree?

I lived 1st in VT2B in a studio. 1 year averages between 9,000-14,000/month.

I later lived there in a double unit made into 1 bedroom. That went for 20,000/month for a year.

Short term leases can go for a studio for around 15/18,000/ a month depending on season and how well furnished.

2.2MB seems a little high. Used to routinely see units posted on the convenience store downstairs for 1.6/1.8MB (studio).

I would give them a lowball offer and see if they take it.

7 years ago, studio were going for 1.4MB routinely.

Like I said, good value for money and the prices are steady or going up.

For Hyde Park 2, opposite The Residence Garden is a restaurant called Alto's, the owner, Damian Lynch is a friend of mine and sells HP2 units. Ask for him and he can show you those or the Novanna one around the corner. Good guy.

If I were buying condos.

That doesn't sound too far off.

Size?

How nice is it inside?

2 years ago they would have asked 3 million or more for a high floor in nice condition.

Absolutely High Season rent for 24 thousand.

This has been discussed so many times recently it borders as a troll post.

1.) The military coup, as well as other negative publicity, has reduced the number of expat retirees and tourists.

2.) The Russians are retreating from their pervious buying purges.

4.) More desirable land acquisition in neighboring Cambodia & Viet Nam.

5.) Continued failing scholastic marks for local private schools along with raising tuition.

6.) Too much building of condos, off main routes (makes the market saturated).

Sounds to me like the bottom is near. It will be time to buy soon for sure.

That's if you can hold 5 to 10 years. No Problem!

Real estate agents will not lower their price when advertising (do not want to make the competition upset)--but privately you can ask for 20-30 percent less and see what happens. (A farang who works in a well known real estate office in Pattaya told me this during the summer). And it is a no brainer to see that the market is hurting...over flow of condo buildings in Pattaya and no one in the real estate offices. They are hurting despite the propaganda they print out in monthly Pattaya real estate booklets.

Size?

How nice is it inside?

2 years ago they would have asked 3 million or more for a high floor in nice condition.

I only visited the website so no idea about inside but I consider 2,2 million for a studio quite expensive, however the other poster said he regularly saw them listed in the store for 1,6-1,8mill which sounds a lot more attractive. Anyhow not really a fan of a studio, while the 1 bedroom apartments go for about 3,5 mill as it are all relatively large units, eg 65m2+.

I don't want to spend more than 2-2.5 mill tops for a 1 bedroom condo so that makes it a bit difficult to find something at a good location. I've had several offers for around 1,6 mill but either the building is of poor quality and location off (Jomtien soi 12 alley) or the building is real old and poor mainained (Pratumnak soi 4 or 5).

Earlier I thought about Wong Amat / Naklua, there's plenty for sale for 2-2.5 mill, but with my habit of going out in Jomtien it's quite far to return at night so Thappraya has my preference as it's just one road. Perhaps I buy something at Grand Carrebean, that new huge one they almost completed. I think it's about 2.3mill for a 1 bedroom though a lot smaller than View Talay 2B and Hyde Park 2.

Edited by dennis123

1.) The military coup, as well as other negative publicity, has reduced the number of expat retirees and tourists.

5.) Continued failing scholastic marks for local private schools along with raising tuition.

Absurd amount of condos they're building yes, keeps surprising me, still it sells or they wouldn't keep building, seems everyone prefers to buy new so the second hand condos MUST drop in prices or they will never sell.

I'll hold off till the next low season and do some underbidding by then to see if I can get a good deal, if not no problem either as I return home in low season myself so there's no urge.

Btw anyone knows why that huge area next to Pattaya Park isn't developed? Do they own it perhaps?

post-245097-0-95467400-1442794220_thumb.

Absurd amount of condos they're building yes, keeps surprising me, still it sells or they wouldn't keep building, seems everyone prefers to buy new so the second hand condos MUST drop in prices or they will never sell.

I'll hold off till the next low season and do some underbidding by then to see if I can get a good deal, if not no problem either as I return home in low season myself so there's no urge.

Btw anyone knows why that huge area next to Pattaya Park isn't developed? Do they own it perhaps?

attachicon.gifempty-plot.png

Repeating the story I have heard, the land is two large parcels, one beachside and the other by Thappraya Rd., and owned by two feuding Chinese-Thai families. The beachside owner cannot get an easement or access rights to his property and the feud has wound up in the courts. This land will continue to sit there, undeveloped for a long time.

Repeating the story I have heard, the land is two large parcels, one beachside and the other by Thappraya Rd., and owned by two feuding Chinese-Thai families. The beachside owner cannot get an easement or access rights to his property and the feud has wound up in the courts. This land will continue to sit there, undeveloped for a long time.

What a story, and none are willing to sell of course or at an absurd price that no one's willing to pay!

The one that has the parcel connected to Thappraya Rd should be able to develop something or maybe he's waiting for the other to sell out.

The other one is truly squeezed, can only access through beach road which is closed for vehicles during the day :s I think I would've made a deal with Jomtien police at that corner to have some dedicated parking for golf carts or similar to move guests around and setup some resort or whatever, can always break down the resort after x years and put down a huge condo when they worked something out!

Damn stubbern Thai/Chinese!

A post has been removed, please read carefully the following forum rule:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

I just picked up the post about possible casinos on that lot in the future, I sure hope that's not going to happen, I like Thailand casino free!

More ontopic I just visited Unixx and went inside with the sales office guy, one bedroom 34,5m2, 2,2million baht but bloody small. I think I jump from my tiny balcony at the 24th floor if I have to stay there lol.

No wonder there are so many suicides in Pattaya!

Edited by dennis123

" Sounds to me like the bottom is near. "giggle.gif

is this just your own opinion or do you have any meaningful evidence to support your astonishing claim?unsure.png

Edited by Asiantravel

Size?

How nice is it inside?

I only visited the website so no idea about inside but I consider 2,2 million for a studio quite expensive, however the other poster said he regularly saw them listed in the store for 1,6-1,8mill which sounds a lot more attractive. Anyhow not really a fan of a studio, while the 1 bedroom apartments go for about 3,5 mill as it are all relatively large units, eg 65m2+.

I don't want to spend more than 2-2.5 mill tops for a 1 bedroom condo so that makes it a bit difficult to find something at a good location. I've had several offers for around 1,6 mill but either the building is of poor quality and location off (Jomtien soi 12 alley) or the building is real old and poor mainained (Pratumnak soi 4 or 5).

Earlier I thought about Wong Amat / Naklua, there's plenty for sale for 2-2.5 mill, but with my habit of going out in Jomtien it's quite far to return at night so Thappraya has my preference as it's just one road. Perhaps I buy something at Grand Carrebean, that new huge one they almost completed. I think it's about 2.3mill for a 1 bedroom though a lot smaller than View Talay 2B and Hyde Park 2.

You are willing to do the legwork Dennis. You will find something.

Id throw that book of fairy tales away,5 to 10 years LOL,certainly you will see the recently overdeveloped crap not exactly bulldozed,but falling apart

Same as always, property whether land, condo, residential or commercial sells if priced correctly and in a good location. Overpriced shoeboxes with views of another shoebox or 3 bed pool villas in the boonies stay on the books for ever. Just sold 2 Rai land for 41 Mil, hardly say prices are coming down as sold the same plot 3 years ago for 26 Mil.

Do you sell real estate and have a customer that is laundering to have the same property selling within 3 years for unrealistic prices and never getting developed?

Why anyone should want to buy property here is a mystery to me.

Maybe the bubble is slowly popping.

Several years ago, like 2005 I almost bought a place. My needs are modest. It would have been about 1 Mil baht ~35,000 USD depending on the exchange rate. I go to Thailand twice a year typically for holiday, once I stayed a bit longer than two months. Then I go back to my engineering contract work or my home. The idea of having a place was appealing. I pay a lot more percentage wise when I rent a hotel for a one week or two weeks because as most of you know, the weekly rates are not that great a discount. And since I often went during High season, having my own place would be that much more cost effective. And I have a few friends that I trust and would let them rent the place for a month or so when I am not there. I would charge just whatever it costs me for an average month. Great savings for them and it lowers my costs. But since I like to travel around Thailand when I go, I would end up paying for a hotel anyway in Phuket, Korat, Ko Samet or wherever I was going. Plus I just wasn't comfortable buying and trusting the locals while I was away. I would not have great value inside the place, just the usual 1 HD tv, minor kitchen appliance, DVD player etc. But I have seen too many nightmares about water supplies, so many vacant units the place cuts back on services, etc. Of course it would be fun to tell people here in the States that I own a condo in Thailand and I paid "1 million cash" for it.

Several years ago, like 2005 I almost bought a place. My needs are modest. It would have been about 1 Mil baht ~35,000 USD depending on the exchange rate. I go to Thailand twice a year typically for holiday, once I stayed a bit longer than two months. Then I go back to my engineering contract work or my home. The idea of having a place was appealing. I pay a lot more percentage wise when I rent a hotel for a one week or two weeks because as most of you know, the weekly rates are not that great a discount. And since I often went during High season, having my own place would be that much more cost effective. And I have a few friends that I trust and would let them rent the place for a month or so when I am not there. I would charge just whatever it costs me for an average month. Great savings for them and it lowers my costs. But since I like to travel around Thailand when I go, I would end up paying for a hotel anyway in Phuket, Korat, Ko Samet or wherever I was going. Plus I just wasn't comfortable buying and trusting the locals while I was away. I would not have great value inside the place, just the usual 1 HD tv, minor kitchen appliance, DVD player etc. But I have seen too many nightmares about water supplies, so many vacant units the place cuts back on services, etc. Of course it would be fun to tell people here in the States that I own a condo in Thailand and I paid "1 million cash" for it.

Loads of words about nothing.

I bought a place here 15 years ago , I have no complaints.

apart from Jomtien is a bit more noisy now days. not a big deal.

My place has never been broken into, had no problems with the locals

no problem for water , electric , internet

The place is worth 3 times what I paid for it.

could sell next week for double what I paid for it, no problem

Most people who advise others, not to buy, don't do this, don't do that

have an axe to grind, (they made mistakes, but wont admit it )

they bought in the wrong place, paid to much, girlfriend ripped them off

and so on.

I will be buying more property in Thailand early next year. wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Loads of words about nothing.

I bought a place here 15 years ago , I have no complaints.

apart from Jomtien is a bit more noisy now days. not a big deal.

My place has never been broken into, had no problems with the locals

no problem for water , electric , internet

The place is worth 3 times what I paid for it.

could sell next week for double what I paid for it, no problem

Most people who advise others, not to buy, don't do this, don't do that

have an axe to grind, (they made mistakes, but wont admit it )

they bought in the wrong place, paid to much, girlfriend ripped them off

and so on.

I will be buying more property in Thailand early next year. wai2.gif

Beggars belief why some bright sparks come on here and say do not but.,aybe they said do not buy gold when 8,000 baht per baht, now 19,500.So glad i do not listen to these doom and gloom preachers, they are clueless, when a quick 100 bahts worth of gold can bring in this much profit, i might even sell now hahahahahhahaha.