Transferring stamps to new passport

I went to immigration here in Pattaya ,the girl filled in a form and I took it to counter 6,come back tomorrow after 10,this I did and I was given my new passport with the stamps in it ,no fuss,no hassle and no charge

Udon Thani Immigration charges THB 500 for that free service...

Is this corruption or do they give a receipt?

No receipt!

Cannot give receipt, its "normally" free service, its called -tea money-

or in Udon Thani - "soup money", tongue.png

I have to pay that also for my Extensions of stay for providing for my sons and living with them.

Edited by ALFREDO

This free letter that you receive from your Embassy requesting a transfer of visa stamps is addressed to the Thai

immigration service in Bangkok. If you do not live in Bangkok you need to present this letter to the Thai

immigration service in the province where you reside.

This free letter that you receive from your Embassy requesting a transfer of visa stamps is addressed to the Thai

immigration service in Bangkok. If you do not live in Bangkok you need to present this letter to the Thai

???

What are you attempting to say ?

That the free BE "letter" is of no use outside Bangkok ?

Post a scan of this letter you claim is addressed exclusively to the "Bangkok" immigration service .

Thanks

Edited by nzexpat

The Embassy letter is most certainly NOT addressed to the "Thai Immigration Service In Bangkok"!

It is merely addressed to the "Immigration Bureau". No mention of Bangkok!!

Please refer to the attached template of the Embassy letter.

post-63387-0-70289400-1433090601_thumb.j

• Like 2

I picked up my new passport last week which included the letter free of charge, then on my departure at Swampy immigration I went to a special lane that transferred my stamp while I waited.. again free of charge (took about 10 minutes).

Regards,

Kurt

• Like 1

I just went through the process last week. I obtained a new passport & an Embassy letter requesting the Thai authorities to "transfer the bearer's immigration stamp or visa from his or her cancelled passport to the new one" a few weeks ago. I went to CM Immigration last Wed & obtained the transfer of stamps from the old to the new & then obtained my extension of stay.

No charge for the stamp transfer but be sure to process this request first prior t processing any extension of stay.

And note at CM Immigration there are different ques for these separate activities so be sure to obtain separate tickets.

I have just got my new British passport and am confused about what I need to do.

My old passport has a 1 year Multi Entry Non Imm 'O' which expires 15/6/2015 and I have a 90 day entry stamp that expires 4/7/2015.

Do I have to get either of these transferred to my new passport?

I have just got my new British passport and am confused about what I need to do.

My old passport has a 1 year Multi Entry Non Imm 'O' which expires 15/6/2015 and I have a 90 day entry stamp that expires 4/7/2015.

No

You will use both passport when you leave the country. Immigration will then transfer your last entry stamp to the new passport and stamp you out of the country in it. Then you will again use both passports on entry to the country to show your visa in the old one until the visa expires and they will stamp you into the country in the new one.

• Like 1

re

immigration service in Bangkok

no its not !

its from the british embasy in Bangkok to thai immigration anywhere

dave2

post-42592-0-63458100-1433117928_thumb.j

whistling.gif I am an American. On the 26th of May 2015 I started the process of getting a new passport as my current passport expires in October 2015.

I am now awaiting my new (replacement) passport which supposedly will be ready in "2 to 3 weeks from the 26th of May.

I have elected to pick it up in Bangkok at the embassy.

According to what they told me on the 26th at the same time I pick up my new passport the embassy will give me a letter free of charge that I can use to get my current visa information transferred to my new passport.

At least that is what they told me..... but being a skeptical person ...... "seeing is believing" and I have yet to actually see.

But as far as I know the letter that I am supposed to us to get my current visa information transferred is "free".

However, as everyone who applies for a new or "replacement" U.S. passport does the fee for that service is 3700 Baht in Bangkok paid at the U.S embassy.

The form letter to change your visa information is just a "free" part of the whole package.

But at least you lucky Americans can elect to pick up your replacement passports in Bangkok - which presumably means that you can elect to have them sent to you direct instead. We poor Brits, on the other hand, are forced to make 2 physical trips to a ridiculously-named office building in Bangkok, firstly to submit our applications (which you Americans can do when an Embassy official is visiting your neck of the woods under their outreach program) and, secondly, to collect our replacement passport some weeks (or even months) later! angry.gif

My wife applied for her Passport in Bangkok on 7th May. It was ready to be picked up on 25th May, less than two and half weeks; I think that's pretty acceptable.

No

You will use both passport when you leave the country. Immigration will then transfer your last entry stamp to the new passport and stamp you out of the country in it. Then you will again use both passports on entry to the country to show your visa in the old one until the visa expires and they will stamp you into the country in the new one.

Thanks for your reply ubonjoe. Will I be able to go to Korat Immigration and extend my 90 day entry stamp by a further 60 days based on visiting Thai family?

I got my British passport back in 12 days so I guess the backlog is over.

Edited by dereklev

No

Thanks for your reply ubonjoe. Will I be able to go to Korat Immigration and extend my 90 day entry stamp by a further 60 days based on visiting Thai family?

They may transfer your last entry stamp from the old to new passport if you mean doing it before you do another entry with your new passport.

The shouldn't ask for the letter to do that.

No

They may transfer your last entry stamp from the old to new passport if you mean doing it before you do another entry with your new passport.

The shouldn't ask for the letter to do that.

Thanks and yes I mean doing the extension of stay before another entry.

Same topic, in the past indeed I got such a letter from my embassy in Bangkok. At the moment I'm out of hail and, and got myself a new passport.

A. Will I have a problem entering Thailand with the new passport, while the Re-entry permit is on my old one?

B. Will I able to switch the permit and the visa to the new passport, in Thailand, without such a letter?

Thanks in advance.

A. No. Enter the re-entry permit number in the field for the visa number on the arrival card and show both the old and the new passport to the immigration officer on arrival.

B. In your new passport, immigration will make a note of your visa, stamp a copy of your last extension of stay, your re-entry permit and perhaps also your last arrival stamp, and the arrival stamp for your new entry.

If you have a valid extension of stay with a re-entry permit, immigration at the airport will stamp you in on the new passport. But you have to go to your local immigration office to have the stamps and details transferred. You will still need the letter, depending on the immigration office, and can ask for one from your embassy.

You do not need a letter if the passport has been used.

That depends on the immigration office.

When I went to get my marriage extension I had a brand new passport. The immigration office manager came over and asked what we were there for. She then said that the IO that deals with marriage was going to be late and did we want to come back the following week. My wife said that we would wait and mentioned that I had new passport. The IO went away and came back with a couple of forms. I handed over my passport and the embassy letter, she never even looked at it just handed it back.

I was asked to complete and sign these Thai forms. I asked my wife to find out what it was about as I wanted to know what I was signing. One of the forms was very similar to the embassy letter, effectively a self declaration. The IO told my wife that this was a formality for brand new passports, if I had come from the UK the passport would have been verified by immigration on entry.

I appreciate that the consensus on here is that IO's make up their own rules so take it for what it is worth.

Never heard of these Thai forms, must be a local form. I have always just submitted the regular form in Thai/English, which can be downlaoded from the immirgaiton website.

It may well have been. it was basically a Thai version of the embassy letter, that I had previously held passport No xxxx issued at xxxxx and now held passport No xxxxx issued at xxxxxx. All Thai, no English, my wife filled it in and i just signed.

I, as well as many others I think, went to immigration expecting to be asked for the UK embassy letter. Looking for a form on the immigration website would never have crossed my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Chong Chom yesterday and went to the Immigration counter armed with my new and old passports. I was immediateky told that I had to go to the Immigration office in Kap Choeng as they could not transfer my last entry stamp at the border.

At the Immigration office they wanted the letter from the British Enbassy and the letter that sandyf refers to. They also needed photo copies of old and new passport photo pages, visa page and last entry page.

So do not go to the border at Chong Chom with your new passport unless you already have had your last entry stamp transferred to your new passport. If it has not been transferred stop at Kap Choeng Immi on your way to Chong Chom. The visa transfer is free.