Transferring stamps to new passport

I'm down to my last 4 or 5 pages in my UK passport even though it has another 2 years to run

As I'm back in the UK next month I was thinking of taking the opportunity to get a new passport

Do I need to get any additional paperwork from ukpa to show to Chiang Mai immigration to get my visa, extension to stay and re-entry permit transferred to my new passport?

Thanks in advance

why do you need a letter, to say the new passport is real? Of course there is a charge they do NOTHING for free, about 2,500 baht.

The letter is a request to immigration to transfer the information to the new passport. Nothing to do with verifying the passport is real. Also normally is free, at least for US passport renewal.

Thanks - is there a charge for the letter? Also will I have an issue going through immigration in Swampy en route to Chiang Mai or do I just show both passports?

No charge for the letter.

Just use both passports on entry to show your re-entry permit in the old passport and they will stamp you into the country in the new one.

why do you need a letter, to say the new passport is real? Of course there is a charge they do NOTHING for free, about 2,500 baht.

The letter is a request to immigration to transfer the information to the new passport. Nothing to do with verifying the passport is real. Also normally is free, at least for US passport renewal.

UK is free too, they even pay for EMS......thumbsup.gif

whistling.gif I am an American. On the 26th of May 2015 I started the process of getting a new passport as my current passport expires in October 2015.

I am now awaiting my new (replacement) passport which supposedly will be ready in "2 to 3 weeks from the 26th of May.

I have elected to pick it up in Bangkok at the embassy.

According to what they told me on the 26th at the same time I pick up my new passport the embassy will give me a letter free of charge that I can use to get my current visa information transferred to my new passport.

At least that is what they told me..... but being a skeptical person ...... "seeing is believing" and I have yet to actually see.

But as far as I know the letter that I am supposed to us to get my current visa information transferred is "free".

However, as everyone who applies for a new or "replacement" U.S. passport does the fee for that service is 3700 Baht in Bangkok paid at the U.S embassy.

The form letter to change your visa information is just a "free" part of the whole package.

whistling.gif I am an American. On the 26th of May 2015 I started the process of getting a new passport as my current passport expires in October 2015.

I am now awaiting my new (replacement) passport which supposedly will be ready in "2 to 3 weeks from the 26th of May.

According to what they told me on the 26th at the same time I pick up my new passport the embassy will give me a letter free of charge that I can use to get my current visa information transferred to my new passport.

At least that is what they told me..... but being a skeptical person ...... "seeing is believing" and I have yet to actually see.

But as far as I know the letter that I am supposed to us to get my current visa information transferred is "free".

However, as everyone who applies for a new or "replacement" U.S. passport does the fee for that service is 3700 Baht in Bangkok paid at the U.S embassy.

The form letter to change your visa information is just a "free" part of the whole package.

They will give you the letter when pick up your new passport. You will not even have to ask for it and their is no additional charge.

You should be getting an email from them within 10 days or less from the date you applied for it. That is the about the normal time to get it.

• Like 1

https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand - not easy to find, can't see it mentioned anywhere

It is not one of the services they show on their website.

You could look through this long topic and find many posts about getting the letter free of charge. Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

You will get the letter when you pickup the passport and you may get your passport in about 7 days as that is what mine took, but I am in Chiang Mai and we get better service that Bangkok

When I collected my new passport from the US embassy in Bangkok, the letter was part of the package given me. No additional charge and no need to request it. My passport was ready in less than ten days from when I applied at an consular outreach in Pattaya.

Take the email they send you when the new passport is ready. No need to make an appointment.

But at least you lucky Americans can elect to pick up your replacement passports in Bangkok - which presumably means that you can elect to have them sent to you direct instead. We poor Brits, on the other hand, are forced to make 2 physical trips to a ridiculously-named office building in Bangkok, firstly to submit our applications (which you Americans can do when an Embassy official is visiting your neck of the woods under their outreach program) and, secondly, to collect our replacement passport some weeks (or even months) later! angry.gif

Can it be true that the British Embassy provides a service for free?

I am staggered if this is indeed the case.

I can confirm that this is, indeed, the case. I personally regard this philanthropic gesture on their part as token compensation for all the hoops which their "friends" in HMPO now force us Brits living in LOS to go through at passport renewal time!

Amazing anyone have a link?

Try searching the British Embassy (Bangkok) website !

coffee1.gif

Zilch on there as regards the appropriately-misnamed "visa transfer letter", actually. But the With-It Tower Mob do hand you the attached "IMPORTANT NOTICE" when you collect your replacement passport from them - assuming, of course, that you applied for it there!

That's progress, but where is the (attached) application form? At least Thai immigration has all the forms numbered that you can download

I have just returned from the UK, a week before leaving here I phoned the passport office and they gave me a date to go in and a time,I arrived half hour early ,paid my 128 pounds and 4 hours later picked up my new passport ,on arrival here I showed both passports ,no problem,a few days ago I went to immigration here in Pattaya ,the girl filled in a form and I took it to counter 6,come back tomorrow after 10,this I did and I was given my new passport with the stamps in it ,no fuss,no hassle and no charge

I have just returned from the UK, a week before leaving here I phoned the passport office and they gave me a date to go in and a time,I arrived half hour early ,paid my 128 pounds and 4 hours later picked up my new passport ,on arrival here I showed both passports ,no problem,a few days ago I went to immigration here in Pattaya ,the girl filled in a form and I took it to counter 6,come back tomorrow after 10,this I did and I was given my new passport with the stamps in it ,no fuss,no hassle and no charge

I did exactly the same last summer.

The staff in my office checked this out and told me there is no need for a letter from the Embassy here when doing the stamp transfers to the new passport and there was no issue when it was actually done by the staff member, requiring just one visit. I was told the letter only applies for passports applied for in Thailand so based on this and if it is the official Immigration line, the OP should not need a letter if he applies in the UK.

Udon Thani Immigration charges THB 500 for that free service...

• Like 1

I did exactly the same last summer.

The staff in my office checked this out and told me there is no need for a letter from the Embassy here when doing the stamp transfers to the new passport and there was no issue when it was actually done by the staff member, requiring just one visit. I was told the letter only applies for passports applied for in Thailand so based on this and if it is the official Immigration line, the OP should not need a letter if he applies in the UK.

Whether the letter is needed or not will depend upon the immigration office you are required to go to.

Just because one immigration office says it is not needed does not mean the same thing will apply at another office.

Udon Thani Immigration charges THB 500 for that free service...

Is this corruption or do they give a receipt?

You guys are barking up the wrong tree. I did this a few years ago. Thai immigration simply

told me to carry the old passport along with the new one. So they check the old

passport for the visa, and then stamp you in using the new one. Piece of cake.