Apirat: Lottery tickets to be sold no higher than 80 baht apiece beginning June 16th

webfact

Apirat: Lottery tickets to be sold no higher than 80 baht apiece beginning June 16th

BANGKOK, 1 June 2015, (NNT) - Government Lottery Office (GLO) Chairman Major General Apirat Kongsompong has said all lottery tickets will be sold at no more than 80 baht apiece.

The GLO Chaiman has reiterated his tough stance on the regulations pegging the price of lottery tickets at 80 baht per ticket. According to him, he has ordered Region 1 Commander Lieutenant General Kampanat Ruddit to send troops to survey the number of real lottery ticket vendors nationwide this week, preparing for the implementation of the new rule.

The Chairman also stated Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha was highly concerned with the issue. However, he was confident that his office would be able to enforce the tough regulation, promising the changes will be visible when the tickets roll out on June 16.

Major General Apirat said overpricing lottery tickets was a criminal activity, explaining that agents would trick retailers into buying tickets in bulk at lower prices and intentionally deliver only a portion of the the tickets. The practice left the retailers no choice but increase the price of the tickets to compensate for their losses.

The other scheme is for agents to buy tickets from the GLO at the original price of 70 baht apiece and sell them to vendors at 75 baht each. Agents then buy them back at 80 baht and jack up the price to 100 - 120 baht per ticket.

He urged the public not to purchase overpriced tickets, and the media to expose the criminal activities to the public.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-01 footer_n.gif

They are only to make 5 baht a ticket sold? In my area they sell for 110 so that is 35 baht profit now. I'm not really sure how this is going to work. Many people will either just not sell tickets anymore or they will go big. Anyway I see a lot less tickets being sold.

My wife will buy a ticket once every few months for fun, but only if someone walks up to her. No way she would go out of her way to get one, even for 35 baht less. I just do not see 5 baht being enough to live on.

I am sure the vendors have already thought of a way around this,

in any case crack downs like this never last long in Thailand,

I don't really understand the two reasons he gives as to why the

tickets have to be sold for higher prices,why would an agent sell

them to a vendor for 75THB then buy them back at 80 THB ?

Really what they need to do is buy in machines that dispense

tickets,sell them to anyone would wants to be a vendor,like they

do in the West,cuts out all corruption,buying back tickets,and

people would be able to choose their own lucky numbers,and

profits could be used to help the very poor,homeless and old.

regards Worgeordie

They are only to make 5 baht a ticket sold? In my area they sell for 110 so that is 35 baht profit now. I'm not really sure how this is going to work. Many people will either just not sell tickets anymore or they will go big. Anyway I see a lot less tickets being sold.

My wife will buy a ticket once every few months for fun, but only if someone walks up to her. No way she would go out of her way to get one, even for 35 baht less. I just do not see 5 baht being enough to live on.

Sell 60 tickets a day and you have the minimum wage.

Sell at a 35 Baht profit and you only need to sell 9 tickets a day....................... no wonder there are so many sellers!

My gf's family all sell lottery tickets, Father, Aunties, Uncles, cousins, and Brother...they all do very well. All have nice cars, and gold.

My gf is a teacher and earns less than them...555

Herein lies the problem then,doesn't your GF feel a bit annoyed that this is the case.

Lottery ticket at 80 baht to begin this month

1-6-2558-11-46-39-wpcf_728x404.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Beginning this month, lottery tickets must be sold at same price across the country nationwide or at 80 baht apiece, Government Lottery Office (GLO) chairman Major General Apirat Kongsompong said.

The lottery board chairman who is also First Army Region deputy commander reiterated his tough stance on the price after last week’s meeting to scrutinise regulations pegging the price of lottery tickets at 80 baht per ticket, As NNT reported.

He said he now has instructed regional army commanders to send troops to survey the number of real lottery ticket vendors nationwide this week, preparing for the implementation of the new rule.

He stated that Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has voiced concern of the issue.

But he was confident that his office would be able to enforce the tough regulation, promising the changes will be visible when the tickets roll out on June 16.

Major General Apirat said overpricing lottery tickets was a criminal offences, explaining that agents would trick retailers into buying tickets in bulk at lower prices and intentionally deliver only a portion of the the tickets.

The practice left the retailers no choice but increase the price of the tickets to compensate for their losses.

The other scheme is for agents to buy tickets from the GLO at the original price of 70 baht apiece and sell them to vendors at 75 baht each. Agents then buy them back at 80 baht and jack up the price to 100 – 120 baht per ticket.

He urged the public not to purchase overpriced tickets, and the media to expose the criminal activities to the public.

But at the last day of lottery sales Monday before the draw in the afternoon, lottery was still sold at 100 baht, and 120 baht for special numbers.

Special number particularly the age of the revered monk Luang Phor Koon Parisutho, was sold at higher than 120 baht.

But vendors said the tickets of such number have either been sold out week ago or were not available as some agents and vendors have hoarded the numbers for last day selling which could reap even higher profit.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/lottery-ticket-at-80-baht-to-begin-this-month

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-01

5 baht is probably what they make now, the vendors pricing their tickets at 110 baht didn't pay 80 baht for them, that is the whole point of this subject, they are not making 35 baht profit per ticket.

So it's starting from 16th, or with the tickets for the draw on 16th? I've seen a sign at a lottery seller today saying tickets will be 80 baht starting from the 3rd. (And today it was still 110 baht)

Finally we know what the military coup of May 22, 2014 was all about.

Major Generals taking care of lottery ticket prices! Wow! I am glad these guys have their priorities sorted out.

While it may seem insignificant and I'm by no means a follower of the current Micky mouse govt it is at least a step in the right direction,unfortunately like in most cases the people who suffer most are not in fact those at the top but the many hundreds of people we all see here on a daily basis trying to scrape a living.

The bottom line is that selling overpriced lottery tickets isn't really a job it's just one of the hundreds of jobs you see here that don't really exist in developed countries but arise out of necessity because work options are limited,the same can be said for people pumping gas in your car at the filling station.

With labour prices so low here the number of fabricated jobs is endless,it's like the guy running round in Makro car park showing me where to park,you never see this in the West people simply wouldn't pay someone to do it.

That said if these lesser jobs keep people in work I'm all for it,after all it saves me getting out of the car etc,unfortunately like most places now the wages don't actually reflect the cost of living.

How can you pay someone 300 baht a day and charge 110 baht for a lottery ticket,it's a false economy.

All sellers should wear a nominated dedicated uniform of sorts,with name and seller number and photo attached,and all tickets should have the amount printed in big letters with a phone number to someone in charge of that particular office,should stop most of the scamming and over pricing.

No not 100% correct. The vendors pay more for tickets thats "lucky" numbers. In some cases they pay B 90 for a popular ticket/number. The proposed system can't work and very poor people will be left without an income source. Why don't they install a computerised system at each municipal office. Vendors register with GLO and gets an access code. At the vending machine they pay for and receive their tickets. No more middle men and the B 20 margin (B 60 paid and B 80 asking price) should be big enough to make a living. If they over charge they get deregistered.

All sellers should wear a nominated dedicated uniform of sorts,with name and seller number and photo attached,and all tickets should have the amount printed in big letters with a phone number to someone in charge of that particular office,should stop most of the scamming and over pricing.

A tabard with ID on it

And the official price printed on the ticket with a hotline phone number to report sellers over charging.

If that does not work then free entry into a prize draw for those reporting sellers overcharging, that will defiantly work.rolleyes.gif

The whole system is totally antiquated and should be scrapped and replaced with a system similar to the UK and other European countries, where people choose their own numbers and get a printed ticket from an on-line machine at a Supermarket, Newsagent or Convenience store.

It's been suggested in Thailand before and rejected by previous governments, as 1) Too many "influential" (I hate that term!) people are making massive profits from the current system, and 2) It's giving employment to the sellers.

Lets hope this government can solve the issue without hurting the many thousands of disabled people who use the current system as a way to earn a living.

Edited by billrose

I watch the draw on TV and I just cannot understand all the rig marole they do, all different people turn the Handel and they pull out the ball. In the west on all logos all the balls are in a dome they bounce around like in a wind tunnel and a ball comes out showing the number, it takes couple minuets the Thai one takes a good hour, makes you think there is a setup going on. Would not surprise me if that was true.

For their 2x 2 numbers they could have a seperate roll and for the 3 numbers they could also have seperate rolls, would take about 10-15 minuets

Only have to sell 60 in one day @ 5 baht profit---minimum wage-----and you sit on the pavement in front of 7-11, not work. 55555---then at the farm other times.