Small Windows symbol in task bar offering free upgrade to Windows 10.

KhunHeineken

Yeah, It has been interesting and full of a lot of misleading information based on speculation.

Here are three good links for more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10_1-win_upgrade?auth=1

Edited by BB1950

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The icon report on the Win 10 ready status of my 18 month old Lenovo laptop Win 8.1 computer has also changed.

It had said it's ready to go....zero hardware and apps issues when it initially installed a month or ago...and continued to report it that way up until a few days ago. I don't have a snapshot of how it reported before other than it said stuff along the lines of I'm good to go...Win 10 can install (I did reserve my copy)...and it "specifically reported I had 0 hardware issues and 0 software issues." But now it's just says my PC meets system requirements which I guess means there are still 0 hardware and software issues See below snapshot of how the report reads now...different than before.

post-55970-0-65416900-1435555785_thumb.j

Now last night I forced the compatibilty app/icon to run the check again on my 8 year old Toshiba laptop running Win 7 as the icon said Win 10 could not be installed upon...initially due to 2 hardware issues and 2 software issues......it specifically identified each issue separately. That has now changed and just says Win 10 can not be installed due to the video card/chip ATI X1400 which it identified before...the report no longer makes any mention of the other hardware issue which was the internal Bluetooth card/chip and two software issues relating to Norton 360 and a freeware program....now it just says no-can-do due to the ATI X1400 hardware compatibility problem with Win 10.

Yeap, the report has been changing "how it words it's report" on my laptops although I haven't made any hardware or software changes/updates. The only thing I have done is let Windows Updates continue to install to included the Optional ones which I've always done.

Edited by Pib

Pib, Yeah the icon status has changed on my computer too. Last week there was no compatibility report. It said my computer was ready to go or something along those lines. Now I get the same report as you only difference is the last run date of the compatibility test. Mine is 6/21/2015.

Just in case you have a Lenovo machine, this Lenovo support webpage lists the Lenovo model numbers that will be supported under Windows 10 and will receive Win 10 driver support...the page says driver updates to be released June and July and to watch their support web page for the releases.

As of today the Lenovo driver page for my particular model only lists drivers for Windows versions up to Win 8.1 but I expect that will change soon for whatever drivers Lenovo may update for my model. I expect it will vary for each model as to what drivers may need updating for Win 10.

Now I have a Lenovo Z510 Ideapad laptop and the Win 10 compatibility app says it's good to go for Win 10....no hardware or software issues.

Now last night I forced the compatibilty app/icon to run the check again on my 8 year old Toshiba laptop running Win 7 as the icon said Win 10 could not be installed upon...initially due to 2 hardware issues and 2 software issues......it specifically identified each issue separately. That has now changed and just says Win 10 can not be installed due to the video card/chip ATI X1400 which it identified before...the report no longer makes any mention of the other hardware issue which was the internal Bluetooth card/chip and two software issues relating to Norton 360 and a freeware program....now it just says no-can-do due to the ATI X1400 hardware compatibility problem with Win 10.

Pib, you ought to keep checking the compatibility report for your old Toshiba laptop and its ATI video chip/card.

The other day, I was listening to one of the Windows podcasts I monitor, and the host was talking about how MS was continuing to make refinements to their compatibility situation, including apparently a new/updated version being run on our PCs.

The host mentioned that he had an ATI video card at home on a PC that originally had surfaced as incompatible, but with the recent revisions and no changes he made to his PC, that issue has now disappeared and the Windows 10 checker now says everything is fine with that PC.

Pib, you ought to keep checking the compatibility report for your old Toshiba laptop and its ATI video chip/card.

The other day, I was listening to one of the Windows podcasts I monitor, and the host was talking about how MS was continuing to make refinements to their compatibility situation, including apparently a new/updated version being run on our PCs.

The host mentioned that he had an ATI video card at home on a PC that originally had surfaced as incompatible, but with the recent revisions and no changes he made to his PC, that issue has now disappeared and the Windows 10 checker now says everything is fine with that PC.

Oh, I have been watching...that's the main reason I've been rerunning the compatibility checker. In my research/googling quite a few older ATI and other brand video cards/chips are not compatible with Win 10...it'snot that they won't work at all, it's just significant "issues/problems" will occur. And unless the card/laptop manufacturer updates the legacy cards/chips (especially for laptops) and passes that update along to Microsoft it's unlikely Win 10 will be compatible. Let's face it, with every new Windows released there are X-amount of older hardware items which will not work (partially to at all) with the upgraded OS release although the Windows advertising tries to minimize people thinking that.

• 2 weeks later...

It's back.

Checked for windows updates today.

1 important update and 2 optional updates.

Without looking at the update numbers, because I thought I had already dealt with this because I had uninstalled, checked again, and hidden it, I just checked the boxes and updated.

After a restart, the little windows symbol is there with another offer of Windows 10.

I don't know how because it's the same update number, KB3035583.

Anyway, did the same process as the first time and it's gone again, for now.

• 2 weeks later...

KB3035583 Will stop sfc/ scannow function in command promp from working in win 7 and say there are corrupted files that cant be fixed.

I removed that and KB3068708 and now scannow works, crafty move by MS.

The KB3022345, KB3035583, and KB3068708 updates will cause SFC to give you a false mismatch message in SFC for files related to these updates.

You can safely ignore these results in your SFC details since it will not affect SFC from being able to repair other system files.

You can also find an SFCFix.exe online that corrects the problem. But make sure you get the appropriate version for your OS.