Lost ATM card. Stuck in Chiang Mai as a backpacker with no money. Ideas>]?

Well, here it goes. I think I left my ATM card in the ATM on accident while rushing to get some errands done. I didn't need to use the card for at least another week, so I didn't notice it was missing until the other day when I randomly was going through my wallet and noticed it was missing. I went to the bank that owned the ATM and asked if I could get my card back. After some digging, I found that if they did indeed have my card, it is now shredded and in the trash. Afterwards, I called and cancelled my card and ordered a new one. I still have to wait about two weeks for the card to arrive to me in Chiang Mai. And, since I'm a backpacker with only 1200 baht in cash, I'm stuck. I do have a credit card, but the thing is I forgot the pin and it will take a while to get a new one and have it sent to a family member back home in the United States, plus I believe there's a 22% interest rate beginning from the moment you take the cash from the ATM when you use a credit card. I also have a $10 bill in my wallet but the Thai banks won't accept it for being just a little wrinkled. Haha. Any ideas on how I can get some money to last me the next two weeks? (Without having to do anything too dirty.) wink.png

I would; find a Hotel or GH that accepts Credit Cards and get a room for 2 weeks. Then go to the Grocery store and buy some food with the CC. Should not need the PIN to do this and no 22% interest. Depending on who you bank with there me be some small fees for International Transactions.

simple, get a family or friend to wire you some money to tide you over. job done.

next. coffee1.gif

Can't wire transfers take up to 5 days?

Instant, you need your passport and the remittence number as soon as the other end has sent it, if you need any more help just ask the nearest bargirl

Go to a gold shop with your credit card and passport and buy 10 or 20K baht worth of gold. Then go to the shop next door and sell it. No need then to bother with anyone back home.

Edited by JLCrab

Don't forget that you can get a cash advance over the bank counter, using your CC and passport. Avoids the ATM fee at least.

22% over a year is less than 2% per month. Borrow 15000 for two weeks and that's less than 150 baht in interest. That's less than the ATM fee that you would have paid taking cash via the ATM. Of course your CC may have other fees...

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Go with JLCrab's gold idea.. Then no ones the wiser.. Have lost an card in an ATM here.. A mate did 2 in a week.. It's because they give you the cash before you have to take your card.. In Oz at least you have to take your card before they dispense the cash.. You'll only do it once!! (Unless you're my mate.. Muppet!)

Don't forget that you can get a cash advance over the bank counter, using your CC and passport. Avoids the ATM fee at least.

22% over a year is less than 2% per month. Borrow 15000 for two weeks and that's less than 150 baht in interest. That's less than the ATM fee that you would have paid taking cash via the ATM. Of course your CC may have other fees...

Excellent alternative, getting a cash advance on the credit card, at the bank, over the counter.

I did it once years ago as soon as I got off the plane at swampy. Just coming from Oz I forgot the old cash first then card swictheroo, might have had a few on the plane as well. Realised in the taxi. Rang the bank the following day. At that time (and I don't know if this still applies) Kasikorn told me the only give back Thai issued ATM/ CC's foreign ones are automatically destroyed when recovered as a security precaution. Got the boys to wire me enough to get through a 3 week holiday got back home and fixed it up sorted. Lesson learnt. Still think you should get ya card back first though thumbsup.gif

Excellent alternative, getting a cash advance on the credit card, at the bank, over the counter.

I would agree however some VISA/MC cards have very limited cash advance provisions.

I would agree however some VISA/MC cards have very limited cash advance provisions.

You require the pin to do this

Not if you go inside at a bank with your credit card and passport

Edited by JLCrab

that is how I get my money every month. I then go home and transfer the money from my savings account to my credit card. No interest.

Not only that but if he has the money in his savings account what is he worried about the interest for. In two weeks he will have his ATM card. What he needs is a wife like mine who constantly reminds me to get my card.facepalm.gif

Not if you go inside at a bank with your credit card and passport

Maybe its the bank then, Bnagkok Bank would not do this for me a few months back, insisted on the pin also. Or maybe the c/card is the issue, most EU cards are chin/ pin now, that could be the issue

That's rare for a replacement card to take that long, either credit or atm. Last time i checked i could get those overnighted end anywhere in the world.

Relatives or friends can western union in a pinch.

The good folks at the U.S. Consulate Chiang Mai would have made most of the suggestions offered here, especially the ones about Western Union. They would have offered to contact relatives back in the U.S., also.

Surely the OP's FB friends or family would be a less embarrassing place to ask than here, as would the homepage of his Embassy...?

I'm referring this to the 'Dubious Threads' panel.....smile.png

bullshit-meter.gif

Thought the OP was a little too long winded myself, but you never know............Darwinism still amongst us too

You've left yourself exposed so hope you'll learn to have more immediate backups in the future.

Forgot your PIN? LOL.

I have an atm card, 2 CC, multiple FF& hotel loyalty memberships (all with valuable point balances because they are used), an online banking facility, a stock market facility, business websites with access codes, all together probably 20+ PINS. For security reasons I do not use the same PIN for all of the accounts. I often forget my pin numbers.

I am not alone and I expect that there are those with more than me. I don't even remember my apple id pin.

So, yea, laugh away.

Well, here it goes. I think I left my ATM card in the ATM on accident while rushing to get some errands done. I didn't need to use the card for at least another week, so I didn't notice it was missing until the other day when I randomly was going through my wallet and noticed it was missing. I went to the bank that owned the ATM and asked if I could get my card back. After some digging, I found that if they did indeed have my card, it is now shredded and in the trash. Afterwards, I called and cancelled my card and ordered a new one. I still have to wait about two weeks for the card to arrive to me in Chiang Mai. And, since I'm a backpacker with only 1200 baht in cash, I'm stuck. I do have a credit card, but the thing is I forgot the pin and it will take a while to get a new one and have it sent to a family member back home in the United States, plus I believe there's a 22% interest rate beginning from the moment you take the cash from the ATM when you use a credit card. I also have a $10 bill in my wallet but the Thai banks won't accept it for being just a little wrinkled. Haha. Any ideas on how I can get some money to last me the next two weeks? (Without having to do anything too dirty.) wink.png

When you get everything sorted could you please wire me some money on loan? I've lost my ATM card here where I'm staying in Nigeria.

Cheers

You've left yourself exposed so hope you'll learn to have more immediate backups in the future.

Forgot your PIN? LOL.

I have an atm card, 2 CC, multiple FF& hotel loyalty memberships (all with valuable point balances because they are used), an online banking facility, a stock market facility, business websites with access codes, all together probably 20+ PINS. For security reasons I do not use the same PIN for all of the accounts. I often forget my pin numbers.

I am not alone and I expect that there are those with more than me. I don't even remember my apple id pin.

So, yea, laugh away.

... and the OP has one ATM card and no backup, whatsoever. So, I stand by my statement. I have three UK credit cards, two UK debit cards, PayPal account, a Bangkok Bank savings account and debit card. I come to LOS twice a year and bring it all with me. I also bring a fair amount of cash.

My MIL also has a PayPal account and if I lost all of the above, I could transfer funds to her account overnight.

As for you, geriatric, why don't you get yourself a nice LastPass account and save all your pins and passwords in one secure place. Or, you could spread them out on various devices and the Cloud. I have over forty online passwords and I can't remember them either. Password generators are the way forward.

Yes, I am laughing as I would be hard pushed to get caught out.

My final backup plan is comprehensive travel insurance.