News On The New Regulation

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highdiver,

Dude chill out, things have changed so much back and forth the last couple of days, noones gotten it right, so take a chill pill.

Thanks man I am chilled.

it is just frustrating to see so much posts (over 350), relating to a matter that did not exist in the first place.

the way sunbelt have initially have posdted it created a huge impact on many of us. one can expact them to be more profesional.

actually, i'm pretty sure it is perfectly legal to do what he is doing - he is not obtaining income in LOS. LOS doesn't have anything to say about it - in fact LIKES fellows like him. He does not need a Thai work permit to work in the US.

Did you get that advice from a "lawyer" on soi 4?

Our company lawyers(one of the largest firms in Thailand) would disagree with your position.

if he is being taxed in the US or somewhere else then yeah it has nothing to do with thailand. Take another example. lets say you rent your house in california. You deal with that income and tax in the states. Your saying if a person wants to live Thailand and enjoy the income made and taxed in the states then Thailand wants you to have a work permit and pay taxes????

I don't think so.

CSN ---- it doesn't matter what you think .... if you are IN THAILAND and working ... Thai law is unambiguous .. you need a workpermit :o

RE POST 397 --- better look at the Thai Law ....

Edited by jdinasia

CSN ---- it doesn't matter what you think .... if you are IN THAILAND and working ... Thai law is unambiguous .. you need a workpermit :o

thats nonsense. virtually every retired person here has an investment income which they actively manage that is earned and taxed somewhere else. If a person is logging onto their brokers site or writing a little code its all the same. It's earned and taxed in another country.

Do they make people with retirement visa's get work permits and tax their foreign income. They would lose their trade status with the states etc quick.

new visa categories announced.

Non-Immigration BD (beer drinking) - 90 days

Non-Immigration BG (bar girl) - 3 nights

Non-Immigration PDTP (property developer with Thai partner) - unlimited.

Non-Immigration ET (english teacher) - 30 days, with travel limited to Aranyaprathet on weekends.

Non-Immigration TGF (thai girlfriend) - 5 days, only granted if your monthly payments are in arrears so she can con you again.

RE POST 397 --- better look at the Thai Law ....

i study on the internet daily. am i entitled to a "study" visa?

Well first of all define working? Is actively managing a financial interest in another country defined as working? How would this be enforced? Lets say I was writing some code for a foreign investment interest or giving advice to my rental agent for my house in country XYZ? I need a working permit and then what?. Is this defined as working or managing an foreign assets?

lots of things are in the books but not enforced.

For example in most states in the US its illegal to play your sound system while the car is moving. Of course its not enforced except in outrageous circumstances.

Prostitution is Illegal in Thailand.. Did you know that?

you mean a non-imm-ed visa? Sure! IF it is from an accredited uni/school that the MoE recognizes!

if you can base a man's tax status on his internet dealings, then i assume you could do the same with "whatever" his internet dealings are. i study, but is not approved. so how are the "investment" dealings approved?

Hence anti-sex prudery is the real reason for this regulation, not anything to do with illegal working.

I'd like to suggest that that is a cultural misunderstanding. Afterall, the brothels are an important part of Thai social mechanics. 97% of the biz is geared toward Thais - farangs are a vey small part. It is fully expected that MEN use prostitutes as often as they can. Indeed, if you say you don't people don't believe you. Thai or Farang, dosn't matter. Friends regularly cover for friends, and even your wife's friends may not tell her if they ctch you with another girl. Afterall, it is a forgone conclusion that you are cheating - the nicer thing to do is just to not let her know the details. It is already understood that all men use whores. Your Thai wife/girlfriend alreadys knows this, as do your Thai friends.

This is cretainly NOT action against sexpats. They are just doing what all men do, right? Nothing against that! No... its the cheap charlies, the criminals, drug users, and the illegal workers that they are trying to combat.

Incidentally, my initial reaction was that this was political poturing given the elections.. but however, the information is not being touted in the news, so that means that the reason cannot be posturing. They really are trying to accomplish something here.

I understand your points, drummer, and I'm well aware that visiting prostitutes is a normal part of Thai culture and most Thai men's lives. However I would suggest that the regulation is still geared mainly against the sex tourist, though not for prudish reasons in the Western sense. It is more that they view the sex business as causing a loss of face for Thailand, and that they do strongly dislike foreigners and would prefer not to 'share' even the despised Isaan women with them.

this post is a clear signal that those that "rule" the thai people are the problem.

new visa categories announced.

Non-Immigration BD (beer drinking) - 90 days

Non-Immigration BG (bar girl) - 3 nights

Non-Immigration PDTP (property developer with Thai partner) - unlimited.

Non-Immigration ET (english teacher) - 30 days, with travel limited to Aranyaprathet on weekends.

Non-Immigration TGF (thai girlfriend) - 5 days, only granted if your monthly payments are in arrears so she can con you again.

:D:o

The Nation update:

Thailand tightens re-entry rules for tourists

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will tighten its immigration rules for tourists who exploit visa free regulations, effective on October 1.

The move will affect tourists from 41 countries who have been enjoying privileges by being allowed to stay in Thailand without a visa for up to 30 days. Among the 41 countries are Australia, the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the US.

Tourists can extend their stay by travelling to neighbouring countries - Cambodia, Malaysia Laos and Burma - and returning with new entry stamps.

The new rules are issued as an increasing number of tourists have overstayed the period allowed.

"Under the current rules, people from these countries can stay in Thailand for as long as they want. Some even stay here for one year. Many work illegally in Thailand," an informed source said.

Instead of sightseeing, the tourists take advantage of the visa exemption by doing business here.

From October 1, tourists from the designated countries may still enter Thailand without visas and stay for up to 30 days, but their entry stamps will be renewable twice at most for a maximum stay of 90 days.

Tourists who stayed for 90 days must leave the Kingdom for at least 90 days before being permitted to reenter Thailand.

Thailand tightened immigration rules last year for South Asian tourists who were allowed to apply for visas on arrival which permitted them to stay in Thailand for 30 days. A large number of them took advantage by travelling to neighbouring countries and returning to get a new visa on arrival at the airport.

Under the new rules, they are allowed to obtain a visa on arrival only twice from neighbouring countries. They are then required to go back to their country of origin to obtain an entry visa to Thailand.

-- The Nation 2006-09-15

This from Reuters 2 hours ago:

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand will tighten visa rules next month to stop foreigners from 39 countries from working illegally and crack down on criminals using it as a haven, immigration police said on Friday.

Under the new rules, visitors from countries on the privileged country list will be allowed to renew the 30-day tourist visa they can get on arrival twice in Thailand.

The current rules allow people to go out of Thailand and get another 30-day visa at an entry point as many times as they like.

Many foreign tourists who enjoy such privileges now cross into neighbouring Cambodia, Myanmar or Laos to renew their visas, often on the same day, Immigration Police chief Lieutenant General Suwat Tumrongsiskul told reporters.

Under the new rules, once they have used up their maximum 90 days in Thailand, they will have to go abroad to get a 60-day visa which will not be renewable in Thailand.

The changes are most likely to affect people working on tourist visas, such as Westerners teaching English, Filipina maids and Japanese and Europeans who own small businesses in Thailand but have no work permits, police said.

The new rules would allow Thai consular officials and other agencies to do background checks to keep out undesirable people, Suwat said.

"The system has been abused for such a long time. We have fugitives staying in Thailand, laundering money or they act as mafias in Pattaya, Phuket or Samui," Suwat said in reference to three beach resort towns popular with foreigners.

These places have gained reputations as Asia's "Costa del Crime" -- the nickname given in the 1980s to the Spanish Costa del Sol due to the presence of many high-profile British fugitives.

Drawn from as far afield as Western Europe, Russia and China by the widespread availability of false documents, as well as cheap sex and beer, such mafias exist in part because of lax law enforcement and corrupt officers.

The new rules would "keep Thailand clean for all the good people like you," Suwat told Thai and foreign reporters.

The 39 affected countries include Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Finland, Greece, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and most of Thailand's nine Southeast Asian neighbours.

Tourists from other countries can still get a 15-day visa on arrival or a 30-day visa in their home countries.

The new rules, drawn up by immigration police over the past year, will take effect more than a month after the arrest in Bangkok of American teacher John Mark Karr, suspected of killing a child beauty queen in the United States 10 years ago.

Karr worked briefly as a teacher for several schools in Bangkok without a work permit before his arrest in the Thai capital, police said. He was sent back to the United States where he was cleared of suspicion.

Note: They seem to have dropped 3 Countries as there are 42 in the List, and no mention of the UK.

[perhaps as Thaksin himself is hoping for a long stay there as a Tourist too]. Anyway this indicates that after a total of 90 days consecutive 30 day Tourist stamps [Which will now be renewable in Thailand so no Visa runs for 3 months], you will have to go out and get a 60 day Tourist Visa and re-enter. This will be renewable once by 30 days. Total 6 months..Yippee...only 1 Visa run per 6 months! The Thais are pretty clever eh? So now the money you would otherwise have to spend outside of the Country during visa runs will be kept and spent in Thailand. As this is a rolling 6 months, you will then revert to 3 x 30 day tourist stamps, so you will go out and come in again once on a 30 day tourist stamp, renewable twice total = 90 days. Then you go out and get your second 60 day Tourist Visa which you can extend by 30 days. Total = 1 year. This is as always at the discretion of the Thai Immigration Officer, so be nice!

To Sunbelt: Thank you for the great information you provide!

Greg, could you please assist me with my confused situation.

I am from Oz, living/renting in Thailand with my Thai g/f. I do not work in Thailand, but i have a Bangkok Bank account.

I am involved in conducting unexploded ordnance/mine clearance in countries like Cambodia, Iraq, Laos etc!

My work is normally 6 weeks out of Thailand, 2-3 weeks home! I currently have six entries in my passport for this year 2006.

I am due to depart for Laos again on 26th September, returning on 10th October. Exit/re-entry will be conducted at Mukdahan border crossing, as we will be working in southern Laos for 2 weeks!

My question is ............ if I exit from Thailand at Mukdahan these new rules will not permit me to re-enter at Mukdahan border crossing on the 10th of October ...... Correct? Also if this is the case, do I have to go to Malaysia, or Vientiane to obtain a multi-entry visa (hopefully if they say yes)!

Appreciate any positive reply! As you can see, living in Thailand is very, very cost effective when operating on a 6 week/2week rotation instead of continually flying back to Oz!

Note: They seem to have dropped 3 Countries as there are 42 in the List, and no mention of the UK.

[perhaps as Thaksin himself is hoping for a long stay there as a Tourist too]. Anyway this indicates that after a total of 90 days consecutive 30 day Tourist stamps [Which will now be renewable in Thailand so no Visa runs for 3 months], you will have to go out and get a 60 day Tourist Visa and re-enter. This will be renewable once by 30 days. Total 6 months..Yippee...only 1 Visa run per 6 months! The Thais are pretty clever eh? So now the money you would otherwise have to spend outside of the Country during visa runs will be kept and spent in Thailand. As this is a rolling 6 months, you will then revert to 3 x 30 day tourist stamps, so you will go out and come in again once on a 30 day tourist stamp, renewable twice total = 90 days. Then you go out and get your second 60 day Tourist Visa which you can extend by 30 days. Total = 1 year. This is as always at the discretion of the Thai Immigration Officer, so be nice!

You forgot a crucial sentence : "Tourists who stayed for 90 days must leave the Kingdom for at least 90 days before being permitted to reenter Thailand."

OK so there is just too much information to weed through here, can anyone tell me...

Do the new 'rules' start from October 1st onwards? In other words, I have been here for four months already and I am due to go to the border on Friday, so obviously I will be OK that time. When October comes around and I go again, will that count as stamp number 1 and I will have 90 days from that stamp, as long as I dont leave the country in that time.

OR would you suggest that I go to an embassy and get a multiple entry visa for longer this month?

Any help is appreciated!

If you have 3 VOAs in your passport, then you will be refused a fourth.

You might want to go get yourself a visa ASAP.

Check with a visa shop first as the embassies and consulates have been refusing and issuing visas without a clear policy.

Otherwise it's nice in Laos this time of year

Quiet.

If you have 3 VOAs in your passport, then you will be refused a fourth.

You might want to go get yourself a visa ASAP.

Check with a visa shop first as the embassies and consulates have been refusing and issuing visas without a clear policy.

Otherwise it's nice in Laos this time of year

Quiet.

I actually entered the country in May with a two month tourist visa in my passport that I obtained at the Hawaii Embassy before I left, this means I have only 2 VOA's. Would you agree that I will not have a problem on Friday since it is still September?

What do you mean by visa shop?

Hi sunbelt,

I enter Thailand regularly for biz meeting on monthly basis.

I have been in/out thailand for more than 5 times the last 6 mths. I need to go to Malaysia this weekend and enter Thailand again before Sept 29 (for the last conf. meeting). If this new procedure is starting Oct. 1, does that means that I can still come back to Thailand without obtaining the work visa ?

Your answer would be appreciated.

Thanks !

News from the new regulation:

This is coming from the Chief of Immigration.

1.Retirement Visa extension. If you have a foreign married spouse who is a dependent they will be able to get this dependent visa now. ( change of what has been happing the last couple weeks)

2.Retirement visa extension: If you have children under 20. They will no longer be able to get a dependent visa based on you having an extension of stay on retirement. They want these kids to get it based on education so they go to school.

3..Investment Visa extension: Will no longer be available after Oct 1st for new applicants on 3 million Baht.

4. Investment visa extension. For existing extension of stay holders of 3 million Baht, we are now being told this will now be grandfathered in and they will be able to get the extension forever as long as they renew. (Yes I know reversal from several hours ago but the government is aware that people bought condos before on this scheme and now will allow it.)

5.Now the news for frequent visitors: We have checked this upwards and backwards all day and it has been confirmed by a copy of the new regulation we have. If you have a visa on arrival more than three times in six months, you cannot come into Thailand without a visa from an Embassy/Consulate. When you enter Thailand, even if you are here just 1 hour, this counts as 30 days. If you come back 6 weeks later for 2 days, this again is 30 days. If you arrive a month later for 4 days, still counts as 30 days. When you leave, you cannot enter Thailand for 3.5 months without coming back with a visa. The reason is to force people who are supposed to have work permits to do so and pay tax.

Another example; you arrive for a week, this counts as 30 days, One month later 3 days and its 30 days, two months later and its for a two week period, still another 30 days. You can reenter Thailand in 6 weeks without having a visa.

6.On extension of stay based support of a Thai national (Marriage visa), before if you applied for this extension of stay, you would get a 30 day consideration stamp. Once you return in 30 days you would get the one year extension. Now it will be the same as an extension of stay based on business with the norm of three 30 day consideration stamps. Immigration will go out and check to see if it’s a real marriage or a sham before issuing the one year.

7.On an extension of stay based on being a Monk. No dependents will be allowed to get an extension of stay based on being a dependent.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Lots of good up 2 date info SB...thanks.

Re No 5 Regular Visitors....

So basically your "poor"international playboy /businessman/London Bus Driver visits for a long weekend every month on the Visa Waiver programme to see his dear old ..wotever..but on his fourth visit he is refused entry.......U cant come back until after New Year...Yes....

So assuming this does happen then it must be also be (assumed again ) down to the Airline to check that he/she/they ...their passenger hasnt exceeded their Quota of V.W. in advance or they (the Airline) will/might be liable for repatriatation expenses and possibly a fine ... :D

lotta Lotta checking going on..... :D

YO no probs if you're from the uk dear old mr BLAIR will pick the bill up! YEAH LIKE <deleted>> GOOD POINT!!!!!! :o

There is no change in visas. They are still valid for 60 days entry period. The subject is entry without visa and that is 30 days for the list of about 40 countries and that is being restricted to three time use in any six month period from our understanding.

There is no change in visas. They are still valid for 60 days entry period. The subject is entry without visa and that is 30 days for the list of about 40 countries and that is being restricted to three time use in any six month period from our understanding.

So everybody still can go to Penang/Vientiane/Singapore/Kuala/Phom Penh, wherever.. and get 60 days visa, extend it 30 days, extend it 2 weeks, extend it 1 week.. or even best choice, go to Penang, get double entry visa and after 3 months just go to border, yes?

If yes, I don't see the point of these rules. In my case I've done like that for 2 years (because I have only 15 days visa on arrival). And I pay avarage 1300 baht / month + transportation.

Edited by Vit77

No. Local consulates are not likely to be providing 2/3 entry tourist visas (Penang has already stopped) and if extensions will be given as you describe is not known.

I was in Penang 1 month ago. Everything was fine, I left passport in bookstore and came back another day to enjoy sweet double entry visa. When they changed it?

I do not understand all this trouble.

Make a legal Visa - and stay in Thailand as long as you want legally.

Non Immigrant -B- = Set up a company, apply for a work permit, and get a 1 year visa

Non Immigrant -O- = You are older than 50 year - you deposit THB 800.000 in a Thai Bank - and get your 1 year visa

Non Immigrant -O- = You marry a Thai lady - you deposit THB 400.000 in a Thai Bank - and get your 1 year visa

You not have to marry your gf - hundreds of Issaan ladies marry you only for visa matters - and your problem is solved too.

PP; you ALREADY posted that in other thread; here is the reply I gave you:

Hmm...

Your Non-em B solution: should one not have a real biz? Yes, of course one should - if don't have a biz idea, or have the skills then it is a fake shell company to create a visa - illegal. They are currently checking shell companies used by foreigners to hold real estate - so would seem foolish to go for that route. Also rather expensive and includes monthly vat/accounting costs/yearly tax returns Etc.

Your Non-em O solution based on marriage: if proforma marriage to obtain visa then.. - illegal. They have stated many times that they will check this much harder (presume more unannounced visits to your place/talk weith neighbors Etc.).

Are you beginning to understand that it IS hard for a person that LEGALLY wants to stay in Thailand but under 50+have income/pension/savings from abroad?

Cheers!

I do not understand all this trouble.

Make a legal Visa - and stay in Thailand as long as you want legally.

Non Immigrant -B- = Set up a company, apply for a work permit, and get a 1 year visa

Non Immigrant -O- = You are older than 50 year - you deposit THB 800.000 in a Thai Bank - and get your 1 year visa

Non Immigrant -O- = You marry a Thai lady - you deposit THB 400.000 in a Thai Bank - and get your 1 year visa

You not have to marry your gf - hundreds of Issaan ladies marry you only for visa matters - and your problem is solved too.

I am geting sick of these answers and I hope that the Thai authorities can get rid of this crap! :o