News On The New Regulation

News from the new regulation:

1.Retirement Visa extension. If you have a foreign married spouse who is a dependent they will be able to get this dependent visa. ( change of what has been happing the last couple weeks in Bangkok)

Example: You are 52 years old and you have a 34 year old wife who is from Germany, she can be a dependent. You only need 800,000 or a pension of 65,000 Baht per month as a couple.

2.Retirement visa extension: If you have children under 20. They will no longer be able to get a dependent visa based on you having an extension of stay on retirement. Immigration wants these kids to get it based on education so they go to school.

3.Investment Visa extension: Will no longer be available after Oct 1st for new applicants on 3 million Baht.

4. Investment visa extension. For existing extension of stay holders of 3 million Baht, we are now being told this will now be grandfathered in and they will be able to get the extension forever as long as they renew.

5.Now the news for frequent visitors: We have checked this upwards and backwards all day and it has been confirmed by a copy of the new regulation we have. If you have a visa on arrival or a Tourist Visa Exemption more than three times in six months, you cannot come into Thailand without a visa from an Embassy/Consulate. When you enter Thailand, even if you are here just 1 hour, this counts as 30 days. If you come back 6 weeks later for 2 days, this again is 30 days. If you arrive a month later for 4 days, still counts as 30 days. When you leave, you cannot enter Thailand for 3.5 months without coming back with a visa. The reason given is to force people who are supposed to have work permits to do so and pay tax.

Another example; you arrive for a week, this counts as 30 days, One month later 3 days and its 30 days, two months later and its for a two week period, still another 30 days. You can reenter Thailand in 6 weeks without having a visa.

The clock starts at zero on Oct 1st 2006, meaning everyone has a quota of three entries in the next six months. No matter how many previous entries you may have.

6.On extension of stay based support of a Thai national (Marriage visa), before if you applied for this extension of stay, you would get a 30 day consideration stamp. Once you return to Immigration in 30 days you would get the one year extension.

Now however it will be the same as an extension of stay based on business, with the norm of three 30 day consideration stamps instead of one stamp( like before). Immigration will go out and check to see if it’s a real marriage or a sham before issuing the one year.

For existing marriage visa holders, if they still have not checked the marriage residence in the second year, the same multiple 30 day consideration stamps, may apply before they issue the extension of stay.

7.On an extension of stay based on being a Monk. No dependents will be allowed to get an extension of stay based on being a dependent.

http://www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

---

Your best choice:

Get a multiple Non-Immigrant Visa:

http://www.thaivisa.com/422.0.html

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, that is very interesting

Immigration will go out and check to see if it’s a real marriage or a sham before issuing the one year
that seems the same as when I did it a few years ago.

The problem I would have had is I was travelling a lot and made a good excuse to come via Bangkok from anywhere to see my girlfriend for the weekend.

This is coming from the Chief of Immigration.

1.Retirement Visa extension. If you have a foreign married spouse who is a dependent they will be able to get this dependent visa now. ( change of what has been happing the last couple weeks)

2.Retirement visa extension: If you have children under 20. They will no longer be able to get a dependent visa based on you having an extension of stay on retirement. They want these kids to get it based on education so they go to school.

3..Investment Visa extension: Will no longer be available after Oct 1st for new applicants on 3 million Baht.

4. Investment visa extension. For existing extension of stay holders of 3 million Baht, we are now being told this will now be grandfathered in and they will be able to get the extension forever as long as they renew. (Yes I know reversal from several hours ago but the government is aware that people bought condos before on this scheme and now will allow it.)

5.Now the news for frequent visitors: We have checked this upwards and backwards all day and it has been confirmed by a copy of the new regulation we have. If you have a visa on arrival more than three times in six months, you cannot come into Thailand without a visa from an Embassy/Consulate. When you enter Thailand, even if you are here just 1 hour, this counts as 30 days. If you come back 6 weeks later for 2 days, this again is 30 days. If you arrive a month later for 4 days, still counts as 30 days. When you leave, you cannot enter Thailand for 3.5 months without coming back with a visa. The reason is to force people who are supposed to have work permits to do so and pay tax.

Another example; you arrive for a week, this counts as 30 days, One month later 3 days and its 30 days, two months later and its for a two week period, still another 30 days. You can reenter Thailand in 6 weeks without having a visa.

6.On extension of stay based support of a Thai national (Marriage visa), before if you applied for this extension of stay, you would get a 30 day consideration stamp. Once you return in 30 days you would get the one year extension. Now it will be the same as an extension of stay based on business with the norm of three 30 day consideration stamps. Immigration will go out and check to see if it’s a real marriage or a sham before issuing the one year.

7.On an extension of stay based on being a Monk. No dependents will be allowed to get an extension of stay based on being a dependent.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Lots of good up 2 date info SB...thanks.

Re No 5 Regular Visitors....

So basically your "poor"international playboy /businessman/London Bus Driver visits for a long weekend every month on the Visa Waiver programme to see his dear old ..wotever..but on his fourth visit he is refused entry.......U cant come back until after New Year...Yes....

So assuming this does happen then it must be also be (assumed again ) down to the Airline to check that he/she/they ...their passenger hasnt exceeded their Quota of V.W. in advance or they (the Airline) will/might be liable for repatriatation expenses and possibly a fine ... :o

lotta Lotta checking going on..... :D

Just goto a Thai embassy/consulate overseas and get a single/double or triple entry. Easy. Then you can stay as a tourist for 3 months without having to leave. Every 3 months if on a single entry. Just go to another country and get another visa. Its not rocket science! Or am i wrong?

Edited by Jockstar

Thanks Sunbelt! Am I missing something or is it still not clear what happens if you already have 3 or more VOA's in your passport. Will we be turned away at the border on the next visa run after 1 Oct.?

Yes turned away unless you have a visa.

Oct 1 (as of now) does not mean the clock starts at zero. It starts the new policy on how many entries you already have in the past 6 months.

Just goto a Thai embasy/consulate overseas and get a single/double or triple entry. Easy. Then you can stay as a tourist for 3 months without having to leave. Every 3 months if on a single entry. Just go to another country and get another visa. Its not rocket science! Or am i wrong?

You are correct as long as you get the visa. The next directive of course will be to the Thai Consulates/Embassies and be something like this:

VERY URGENT!

It has come to our attention a number of foreigners are working illegal in Thailand, we therefore will stipulate that you issue a visa only after you question the foreign applicant who has had a number of recent entries into Thailand. On the 1st of every month, we will require a report on which applicants who you issued a visa and who you denied.

This is just a SAMPLE but as they say the handwriting is on the wall.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Just wondering , over the last 5 years Ive been applying for a one year extension under ..support , Married to a Thai

and when I applied at Bangkok it was ...First visit with the wife and paper work, ..then . given a 1 Month under consideration

stamp in my passport, when I returned One Month later , ive all way's been then given the Extension no problems,

So am I reading this now right... next time I apply for my One year extension ....it will be this as quoated ..... ( 6.On extension of stay based support of a Thai national (Marriage visa), before if you applied for this extension of stay, you would get a 30 day consideration stamp. Once you return in 30 days you would get the one year extension. Now it will be the same as an extension of stay based on business with the norm of three 30 day consideration stamps. Immigration will go out and check to see if it’s a real marriage or a sham before issuing the one year.

Or is the new Item 6 , only for first time applications ...?

After applying for 5 years and taking the same wife every time , how can they think its a sham marriage ...? all they need to do is look back on your records and see its the same wife , address Etc...?

Thanks................. Mumbo

Good to see it's clear now. Clearly another measure introduced withouth properly thinking this trough.

Two observations:

This is the end of Thailand as a travel hub for southeast Asia.

Airlines are going to get mental over this, how are they suppose to check is someone is illegible for entry into Thailand. Obviously they cannot rely just on the Passport and the stamps inside, (People could be on a brand new Passport) Somehow I doubt they will get into the thai immigration online system to check.

Remember as far as I know, the airlines are responsible if someone is refused entry due to visa regualations. With the current system it is simple for the airlines, and they might only refuse people who do not comply with the onward ticket requirement for visa exemption.

So if enough people are going to refused at the airport, with all the hassles associated, before you know it, all airlines are going to require Tourist visas for all passengers, regardless if they are on the 41 country list.

This in potention could have a great impact on tourism.

I met a chap on the aircraft to BKK in March 1999 who ran a business that involved him taking 12 trips to Thailand a year. He had a wife and a child in Bangkok.

As he made 12 trips a year Thai Airways gave him the 13th free.

If he is still operating his Thai export operation it looks like he could have problems ?

I wonder how many others are in this situation ?

sjaak327 - You make some very good points !

Does this sudden legislation have Thaksin written all over it ?

Edited by Hermano Lobo

The reason is to force people who are supposed to have work permits to do so and pay tax.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Forgive me for being dim, but presumably many of these "illegal workers" who have been visa running will change to obtaining tourist visas from overseas consulates. How will that force them to get work pertmits and pay tax? They are simply changing from being a VOA long term tourist to a "visa issued overseas" long term tourist.

Or have I missed something?

Maybe the embassies will tighten the rules for issuing multiple tourist visas?

Just wondering , over the last 5 years Ive been applying for a one year extension under ..support , Married to a Thai

and when I applied at Bangkok it was ...First visit with the wife and paper work, ..then . given a 1 Month under consideration

stamp in my passport, when I returned One Month later , ive all way's been then given the Extension no problems,

So am I reading this now right... next time I apply for my One year extension ....it will be this as quoated ..... ( 6.On extension of stay based support of a Thai national (Marriage visa), before if you applied for this extension of stay, you would get a 30 day consideration stamp. Once you return in 30 days you would get the one year extension. Now it will be the same as an extension of stay based on business with the norm of three 30 day consideration stamps. Immigration will go out and check to see if it’s a real marriage or a sham before issuing the one year.

After applying for 5 years and taking the same wife every time , how can they think its a sham marriage ...? all they need to do is look back on your records and see its the same wife , address Etc...?

You beat me to it Mumbo.

My situation is the same as yours except I have only applied 4 times always taking the same wife.... :D

Surely they cannot really want to waste the manpower to check that we have a real marriage! :o

For Sunbelt...........

What is the situation on Permanent Residence? Has that changed?

Also does your company deal with PR applications?

1.Retirement Visa extension. If you have a foreign married spouse who is a dependent they will be able to get this dependent visa now. ( change of what has been happing the last couple weeks)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I am still unclear as to what this means after October 1. Will the foreign spouse need to have an extra 800,000 baht deposited in a Thai account from overseas (or equivalent monthly income) or will the requirement be for only one amount of 800,000 baht per couple?

In most cases, first time applicants. However as they have gotten reports of girls marrying guys who they have no clue is the husband. They may still check, until in a report, it states Immigration had visited the couple’s house.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I am still unclear as to what this means after October 1. Will the foreign spouse need to have an extra 800,000 baht deposited in a Thai account from overseas (or equivalent monthly income) or will the requirement be for only one amount of 800,000 baht per couple?

As of now only 800,000 Baht per couple.( This was the requirement before)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

As of now only 800,000 Baht per couple.( This was the requirement before)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks, Sunbelt. Guess we'll need to wait for further details from Immigration closer to the date.

The new rules also state that there is to be no more investment vvisa of 3 million baht. Is there any other type of investment visa?

Surely they must leave some avenue open for foreign investment.

A great many of ther business for sale on SBAsia are under 3 million baht. Thats not good for the business owners or SB.

How about investment in the Thai stock exchange? People may pull out or not bother.

And what about the many many condo projects that are planned and in the process of being built. Alot of these condos must be bought by foreigners. What if you can t live in them?

I can only see problems without any avenue for investment. I agree with maybe trying to stop illegal workers doing the visa run and not paying tax. All countries do this, but closing the door on investment?

Discuss?

2.Retirement visa extension: If you have children under 20. They will no longer be able to get a dependent visa based on you having an extension of stay on retirement. They want these kids to get it based on education so they go to school.

3..Investment Visa extension: Will no longer be available after Oct 1st for new applicants on 3 million Baht.

4. Investment visa extension. For existing extension of stay holders of 3 million Baht, we are now being told this will now be grandfathered in and they will be able to get the extension forever as long as they renew. (Yes I know reversal from several hours ago but the government is aware that people bought condos before on this scheme and now will allow it.)

5.Now the news for frequent visitors: We have checked this upwards and backwards all day and it has been confirmed by a copy of the new regulation we have. If you have a visa on arrival more than three times in six months, you cannot come into Thailand without a visa from an Embassy/Consulate. When you enter Thailand, even if you are here just 1 hour, this counts as 30 days. If you come back 6 weeks later for 2 days, this again is 30 days. If you arrive a month later for 4 days, still counts as 30 days. When you leave, you cannot enter Thailand for 3.5 months without coming back with a visa. The reason is to force people who are supposed to have work permits to do so and pay tax.

6.On extension of stay based support of a Thai national (Marriage visa), before if you applied for this extension of stay, you would get a 30 day consideration stamp. Once you return in 30 days you would get the one year extension. Now it will be the same as an extension of stay based on business with the norm of three 30 day consideration stamps. Immigration will go out and check to see if it’s a real marriage or a sham before issuing the one year.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks much for this information! I'm wondering how this affects those of us (visa runners) who have signed apartment contracts. Will we be released from our contracts early & security deposits returned....?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

illegal workers" who have been visa running will change to obtaining tourist visas from overseas consulates. How will that force them to get work pertmits and pay tax?

Maybe? Though i dont think this is totally directed at ONLY illegal workers. But from what i can understand by talking to someone today. They are trying to target some criminals in places like Pattaya! Not my words. Just what i heard! How about the government making it easier for teachers to get a work permit? Just because you have a degree. Doesn't mean you can teach! Seems like alot of / whats and what ifs! We can only wait and see!

Thanks to Sunbelt Asia for the kind of information we need and I couldn't find anywhere else. I am particularly interested in the paragraph:

"5.Now the news for frequent visitors: We have checked this upwards and backwards all day and it has been confirmed by a copy of the new regulation we have. If you have a visa on arrival more than three times in six months, you cannot come into Thailand without a visa from an Embassy/Consulate. When you enter Thailand, even if you are here just 1 hour, this counts as 30 days. If you come back 6 weeks later for 2 days, this again is 30 days. If you arrive a month later for 4 days, still counts as 30 days. When you leave, you cannot enter Thailand for 3.5 months without coming back with a visa. The reason is to force people who are supposed to have work permits to do so and pay tax."

If this is the complete story, then a person from one of the 60 day Tourist visa and 30 day visa on arrival countries could spend five out of every six months in Thailand, or spend most of their time in Thailand and just leave every 60 days and return with an embassy issued Tourist visa. For example: A first time visitor could enter Thailand with a 60 day Tourist visa, at the end of 60 days do three border runs for visas on arrival, then either a.) leave the country every 60 days for another embassy issued 60 Tourist visa, or b.) leave the country for a little over 30 days and return with another 60 day Tourist visa and do another three border runs. The trick here would be to make sure that before each border run you have no more than two visas on arrival in the preceding six months.

If the new rules are implemented this way it would allow long term stay visitors to stay for up to 150 days then leave just long enough for the Thai government to ensure we are still financially self-supporting. This is not as convenient as the current system but it is reasonable. Now the big question is: Will the new rules be enforced this way, or will Thai embassies put a 90 day wait on issuing Tourist visas to people who have just left Thailand?

So, Can anyone tell me.

If I have a passport with visa stamps from the last 12 months but 5 months ago I had a Tourist visa which I extended for one month and then after that two VOA's do I get one more VOA or should I go for another Tourist visa?

why so difficult, send you passport by courier to a consulate, let the courier pick it up and pay your 170 euro or 200 dollar for a year tourist visa. Available anywhere in Europe. You cna still be here all year round, and after six months immigrration will understand that they are losing out to Singapore and other airline hubs and they will shelve it again, just like tthey did 4 years ago and 8 years ago. New Chief, new rules, wonder if the agents have to pay double now...