Mystery of British man's death in Thailand hotel

webfact

Mystery of dad's death in Thailand hotel
by Charles Graham

w.jpg
Peter Nicholson

MANCHESTER: -- AN INVESTIGATION has been launched after the sudden death of a young Wigan dad in a Far East hotel.

Peter Nicholson was found collapsed in his hotel room while holidaying in Thailand.

"We were informed of the death of a British national in Thailand on June 1 and we stand ready to provide consular assistance"
Foreign Office spokesman

Details are sketchy at this stage but it is thought that the Beech Hill man’s death is not suspicious.

The 29-year-old is understood only to have flown out to Bangkok on Saturday with friends.

And it is they who called for staff when they knocked on his hotel room door in the morning and could not get an answer.

Grieving family and friends yesterday gathered at the Prince of Wales pub in Springfield, where his mum Irene lives, to toast Mr Nicholson’s memory and also discuss repatriation details.

However when approached they said they were too shocked and distressed to speak publicly about him at the moment.

Word broke of the tragedy on social media early yesterday.

One neighbour, who did not wish to be identified, said: “This has come as a terrible shock. Peter was a lovely guy who had everything to live for.”

Full story: http://www.wigantoday.net/news/local/mystery-of-dad-s-death-in-thailand-hotel-1-7288535

-- WiganToday 2015-06-02

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DVT?

Yes, a possibility. Although the DVT itself is not life threatening unless the clot breaks off and is carried into the lungs, when a pulmonary thrombosis could occur. Being overweight at any age, remaining sedentary, and suffering dehydration on the flight could cause this. A proper PM should discover this, if it happened.

Thirteen years ago, I suffered a DVT. I was lucky. The venous clot (restricting the blood flow in my right leg from the calf to the thigh) was eventually dissolved and a passage of new veins carried the blood flow. I still take Warfarin, though.

Lots of possibilities as have been mentioned above, all unusual and low probability for such

a young man. The real question is weather an autopsy/investigation will lead to an answer. coffee1.gif

RIP

If a 29 year old was found dead inside his own locked hotel room anywhere in the world, there was no sign of struggle or forced entry, criminal activity would not be suspected, and I take from 'not suspicious' that this is what they mean.

Edited by bananafish

Too many farang deaths in Thailand! I would like to see the figures concerning deaths in the rest of ASEAN?

Here is an article and Thailand doesn't make the top 10 (Israel and Russia does). http://www.telegraphtoday.com/top-10-most-dangerous-countries-to-visit/

Take it this way if Thailand wants to equal the US murder rate of +- 4,5 per 100 000 people, then there must be 1170 tourists murdered in Thailand each year (26 mil / 100 000 x 4,5 = 1170). Thats 3,2 tourists per day on average, in my view the figure doesnt get close to that. Which means you are less likely to be murdered in Thailand as a tourist than living in the US as a citizen.

Too many farang deaths in Thailand! I would like to see the figures concerning deaths in the rest of ASEAN?

Here is an article and Thailand doesn't make the top 10 (Israel and Russia does). http://www.telegraphtoday.com/top-10-most-dangerous-countries-to-visit/

Take it this way if Thailand wants to equal the US murder rate of +- 4,5 per 100 000 people, then there must be 1170 tourists murdered in Thailand each year (26 mil / 100 000 x 4,5 = 1170). Thats 3,2 tourists per day on average, in my view the figure doesnt get close to that. Which means you are less likely to be murdered in Thailand as a tourist than living in the US as a citizen.

That stat/calculation theory only applies to citizens of a country.

How many Thais are murdered on average each day per 100,000 in Thailand would be the comparative figures for your maths stats there.

The comparison would be with how many Thais tourists die on holiday in the UK [or USA if you prefer} to match this story.

Edited by Bluespunk

As others have said, it could've been PE which can go to the brain or it could've been 100 other ghings, but TV posters are right, there's an awful lot of falangs dying over there. Don't think even all of Europe has that many.

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

A post containing quoted content and a link to Phuketwan has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.
Other nonsense posts and replies have been removed.

According to World Bank stats, intentional homicide rate is same for USA and Thailand. I would imagine USA is better at keeping actual stats than Thailand (call that a bias if you will), so I would guess actual rate higher here in LOS. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5

I would also point out that tourists usually don't (and can't) stay for a year.. perhaps 2-3 weeks? That would seem to lessen odds of getting killed statistically. A million people in a place for a year is far different than a million for two weeks.

Would be nice if countries had option of "Thanks, but we think we'll take care of autopsy in UK".... there was that whole issue of contamination and destruction of evidence after Thailand performed autopsy on Koh Tao victims.

Do I trust Thai police, justice and government? About as far as I can throw them, and I can't throw as far as when I was young.

A number of troll posts have been removed and more will be removed when necessary, with any further notice of it.

When posting, please bear in mind that the relatives and friends of the deceased may well be reading this topic.