Prayut says stripping Thaksin's police rank is a matter of law that must be strictly observed

webfact

Prayut says stripping Thaksin's police rank is a matter of law that must be strictly observed

6-2-2015-4-08-37-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha reiterated that the stripping of police rank of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is a matter of law that relevant government officials must observe strictly.

His statement came after the national policy chief returned the recommendation of the police rank committee for signatures signing of the committee members before passing on the recommendation to the cabinet secretariat for approval and finally to seek royal endorsement.

Gen Prayut said the stripping of police rank of the former prime minister was a matter of law and the committee in charge has the duty to pursue the action, otherwise it would be held responsible for dereliction of duties.

He said he didn’t want to see repeated negligence of duties regarding the issue

Meanwhile the chairman of the police committee in charge of stripping the police rank of the former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra says the committee remained firm on its decision and will return its recommendation to the national police chief today.

Pol Gen Chaiya Siri-ampolkul, the committee chairman, said the recommendation which he forwarded to Royal Thai Police commissioner Pol Gen Somyot Phumphanmuang was returned to the committee for signatures signing by the committee members was merely a misunderstanding of normal administration procedure.

There was no new issue to be reviewed, he said.

He said the committee’s five members were in total agreement with no dissent to strip Pol Lt- Col Thaksin of his police rank.

He said the recommendation would be returned to the national police chief today.

He voiced no worry in case of government change (after the election) as the committee adhered to the rules of law with no regard to pressure or having bias.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prayut-says-stripping-thaksins-police-rank-is-a-matter-of-law-that-must-be-strictly-observed

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-02

First he would have to be transferred to a inactive post? lol I'm surprised Thaksin hasn't been given a promotion for the amount of money has gained from corruption. Isn't that why Thais enter the military and police force? The General is just jealous that he has only made hundreds of millions not billions like every officers idol the great Thaksin!!

The general is Thaksin's press agent and Yingluck has 4 million likes on her facebook page. OTOH the general pisses people off by preempting their soaps.

How much are the Shins paying the general for this ad and PR campaign?

I note kun Prayut still uses the honorific general in his name in spite of having retired.

This honourable title , would be suitabe , for the new owner of a defeated English football team , with foreign players .

Liverpool , that sounds about rite ,wai2.gif , cheers ,, Chang Beer ,,,chuk dee , kap

Edited by elliss

I note kun Prayut still uses the honorific general in his name in spite of having retired.

It is a honorific tradition the world over that retired military officers retain their rank in name.

However, in Prayut's case he is also Chief of the NCPO so his retention of "General" goes beyond mere tradition. The NCPO includes three army generals and one admiral that are subordinate to the Chief. So in effect his title as "General" is real.

He and any other Thai Officer of Major rank and above are entitled to use the honourific title once retired, which is also observed in many other Countries including the developed World. So what is your point?

The military traditionally retain their rank on retirement, but it's generally suffixed with (ret'd), e.g., Maj Gen (ret'd).

If he's the nominal head of the armed services, I could see (ret'd) not being used.

Edited by F4UCorsair

"Gen Prayut said the stripping of police rank of the former prime minister was a matter of law and the committee in charge has the duty to pursue the action, otherwise it would be held responsible for dereliction of duties."

This law, which has been in effect since 31 May 2015, has been strictly enforced throughout its history and is a bedrock foundation of the laws of the Kingdom of Thailand.

yeah, right...

As American you may be used to having 'police powers' stripped while being under investigation, but other countries go on and really sack a police officer. In the UK some got sacked for "“inappropriate behaviour” for instance. That also strips them of their rank.

Furthermore since Thaksin 'resigned' from the police force to get into business many years ago, he should no longer formally have a police rank automatically. Informally both Police and Military Officers may still be addressed with their former rank.

dereliction of duties...soooooooooo basically every cop in thailand is guilty of "dereliction of duties" since nobody enforces the law.

I wish every one could be a whiny-ass general who stages a coup just before his mandatory retirement and then appoints himself Prime Minister....but I am not talking about Thailand.....this would never happen in such a democratic country.

hit-the-fan.gifmfr_closed1.gif