Diatomaceous Earth (DE) and Calcium

Hi,

On a couple of other threads I mentioned DE and have had some questions from some readers. Basically, DE is a fine powder that is mostly silica. The tiny particles are sharp and kill many parasites and coccidiosis. I use it on poultry, but it can be used on other animals. It is also used in gardening to control parasites. I use it a couple of ways. The first is in the feed. I will usually mix a large tablespoon in about 5 kg of feed. Often I will feed this in a wet mash. I also dust the coop floors, nests, and roosts to control lice. I treat my whole flock about every 90 days and will also treat a coop if I am moving birds around. There is something called food grade and a general grade. I heard the food grade is white and the general grade was grey. The DE I got was yellow and I was told it was ok for animals. If it wasn't, I think I would have seen some problems by now. I have just asked for a friend to get me some more so if anyone wants to get some send me a PM, I should have it in about a week. You can find vids on U-tube that tell a lot more about it.

I make my own feed and need to find a source for calcium that is cheaper than what I have now. I currently get 1 kg bags for 45 baht which costs about 2 baht a kg for my layer feed. Since the bird flu a while back the feed stores in Petchabun can't well chicks or ducklings. So there are few small farms around and they just don't carry calcium in 10-20 kg bags. If anyone know how I could get some, please let me know.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

I am feeding chickens and really just guessing really.  Eggs work out well though.

I am making my own feed. 2 parts crushed corn, 2 parts rice ram, 1 part soy meal and just put a fairly heavy dust coating on top and mix it in.  Each 1 part is the plastic pans the Thais take a bath with. Looks like a sauce pan with a handle.

Did you ever find a source for DE. I did from a swimming pool company. 1990 Baht for 22.5 kg. I have no idea if that is good or not but it is ok for me. 2 bags, (50kg) plus 450 for shipping. 2450 total. That will last me a good amount of time.

17 hours ago, Gonsalviz said:

I am feeding chickens and really just guessing really.  Eggs work out well though.

I am making my own feed. 2 parts crushed corn, 2 parts rice ram, 1 part soy meal and just put a fairly heavy dust coating on top and mix it in.  Each 1 part is the plastic pans the Thais take a bath with. Looks like a sauce pan with a handle.

Did you ever find a source for DE. I did from a swimming pool company. 1990 Baht for 22.5 kg. I have no idea if that is good or not but it is ok for me. 2 bags, (50kg) plus 450 for shipping. 2450 total. That will last me a good amount of time.

BE SURE TO WEAR A "DUST MASK" when handling DE!!!!!

rice555

I took a scoop like yours and did some calculations.  I think you are running about 18%  assuming:

1.  all scoops have the same volume.

2.  9% protein for corn

3. 44% protein for soy beans

4. 12 % protein for rice polishings

5.  You are using fine rice polishings (ram On) and not medium rice polishings (rum klang).  If it looks a little coarse and you can see bits of broken rice, you have ram klang.  Ram on is a fairly fine powder. IMHO ram klang is near worthless for poultry.

By my calculations you need about 6-10 % calcium carbonate by mass.  If they are ranging and getting bugs ect then less calcium is needed.  If the are caged and you are going for high egg production the go higher.

cheers

btw, I got a 3 kg bag of calcium carbonate to try out.

On 11/23/2016 at 11:59 AM, Jotham79 said:

I took a scoop like yours and did some calculations.  I think you are running about 18%  assuming:

1.  all scoops have the same volume.

2.  9% protein for corn

3. 44% protein for soy beans

4. 12 % protein for rice polishings

5.  You are using fine rice polishings (ram On) and not medium rice polishings (rum klang).  If it looks a little coarse and you can see bits of broken rice, you have ram klang.  Ram on is a fairly fine powder. IMHO ram klang is near worthless for poultry.

By my calculations you need about 6-10 % calcium carbonate by mass.  If they are ranging and getting bugs ect then less calcium is needed.  If the are caged and you are going for high egg production the go higher.

cheers

btw, I got a 3 kg bag of calcium carbonate to try out.

Yes, I am using the Ram On. I have upped the calcium carbonate to about double but according your calculations, I need more. I will up that in the next batch.I have added about 10% more soya. I got a soft egg today. Production has been poor so more calcium it is.

I am new at mixing my own.

Thanks.

On 11/21/2016 at 1:12 PM, rice555 said:

BE SURE TO WEAR A "DUST MASK" when handling DE!!!!!

rice555

I did. Apparently the kind I bought is the wrong stuff but what I read is that the silicosis takes years to form. Longer than a chicken's life span.

I haven't had any issues using DE in dust baths and coops.  for feeding I often make up a wet mash from feed and old cooked rice. 

If you will PM me your email address, I will email you an excel spreadsheet for mixing feed.

Can you tell me if the stuff in this photo is the calcium carbonate that can be used in feed?5281234985374(1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got a small amount of the real DE now. After what I have (50 KG) I doubt I will need any more soon. Maybe 10 years. lol

I had to buy some commercial feed because of a short term transport problem but I plan to get back to making my own very soon.