Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Irish man claims his house, land worth Bt65 million defrauded

Thaivisa News

Tell me is there any shortage of trolls on here, a guy and his family have had everything stolen on them, they are fellow expats and from what i read, just drivel comes out of some people statements, quick and short troll comments, have you guys no intelligence or emphaty, what if it happened to you or your best mate or your family??

2 children locked in a water well and only for a neighbour found them they could have died!

Properties stolen with the full knowledge fo the family lawyer.

Trolls should be banned and their IP blocked in such circumstances. The whole meaning of an expat community is the word Community, a place of support and protection

You're coming to the wrong place if you're looking for empathy. The is the angry jaded farang portal of Thailand. Always has been. Always will be. Accept it.

Correct. So many farangs who have nothing better in their lives

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cheated in a conspiracy allegedly by police, land officials, lawyers, bankers and property brokers.

wow ! they forgot to mention his ex wife Nittaya Sukhampha. Hope his local 7-11 didn't try to short change him at any time .... gigglem.gif

This must be a different ex-wife...

"He alleged that his ex-wife Nittaya Sukhampha was forced to join the defrauding because she owed a debt of Bt600,000 to a loan shark gang."

Nothing surprised me so far.

To make such money you must be lucky stupid (maybe lotto) or have some brain.....

Looks like he lost his head( brain) coming to LOS doing business.

And to believe any type of wife (having such money) is suicidal anyway and it does not matter where she comes from.

Now some people smile in the LOS gigglem.gif

coffee1.gif

I have sympathy for this guy and his family, I really do. But this story is a perfect example of how the expat dream can quickly turn into a nightmare.

Thailand's laws on land ownership are quite clear and because of these laws, foreigners who end up in the position of Mr Vard stand little chance and are often left with nothing. Mr Vard isn't the first foreigner this kind of thing has happened to and he certainly wont be the last.

Of course, I'm sure there is much more to this story and I'm only going off the article in the OP.

However, whilst a substantial amount there is more to life than a house in Phuket.

For the moment at least it seems Mr Vard has his health and safety and the health and safety of his children.

I admire this guy for standing up and fighting for what he believes is his but if I was in his position, I think I would admit when defeated and if possible, start a new life with my children somewhere else.

I wish Mr Vard the best of luck.

Blimey!

How many more times must the facts be laid out?

HE DIDN'T OWN THE LAND. HE LEASED IT.

HIS SIGNATURE WAS FORGED TO MAKE THE LEASE NULL AND VOID.

Yes, I'm shouting.

I'm not doubting this for a moment and have no doubt that Mr Vard has probably been swindled out of what is rightfully his but according to the chief of police, a court has already ruled against the claims for Mr Vard. Whether the ruling of the court is correct or not, a decision has been made on this case. Bearing in mind the judicial system we're dealing with here, it is going to be very difficult for Mr Vard to get true justice. I feel desperately sorry for him.

I saw that on TV yesterday. What the police spokeman explained was that the house was in the wife name. She used it as collateral for a loan she couldn't pay back. They went to court, the wife lost and the house was repossessed. Case closed. Unfortunetly a very common story.

Do I understand it right, the loan was for 600 k? If the House is used as security, it should have been auctioned off, then the loan paid from the proceeds and if anything is left, it should have been given to the owners.

So a 65mil house should have had a hefty sum left after being sold to cover the Dept of 600K?

I am not familiar with the case, but something smells fishy. Could anyone explain what went on and how it was done? This might be beneficial for others, not to get trapped same way.

It was not a 65m baht house, the fraud involved seven properties he was relieved of.

Andrew Drummond's site explains everything very clearly.

Tell me is there any shortage of trolls on here, a guy and his family have had everything stolen on them, they are fellow expats and from what i read, just drivel comes out of some people statements, quick and short troll comments, have you guys no intelligence or emphaty, what if it happened to you or your best mate or your family??

2 children locked in a water well and only for a neighbour found them they could have died!

Trolls should be banned and their IP blocked in such circumstances. The whole meaning of an expat community is the word Community, a place of support and protection

You're coming to the wrong place if you're looking for empathy. The is the angry jaded farang portal of Thailand. Always has been. Always will be. Accept it.

Correct. So many farangs who have nothing better in their lives

Expats that come here as investors for their own egoistic benefit are *not* my peer group. I'm on the side of Thais in doubt.

What about some empathy for the children?

It's Thailand. Nothing surprises me. Doing business in the Third World is not for those without connections.

Bash the U.S. for many things, but when it comes to property ownership, as long as you pay your taxes, the rule of law is as sound as you can find on this planet.

I saw that on TV yesterday. What the police spokeman explained was that the house was in the wife name. She used it as collateral for a loan she couldn't pay back. They went to court, the wife lost and the house was repossessed. Case closed. Unfortunetly a very common story.

Yep. You have to apply common sense and raise an eyebrow, take a grain of salt, etc. on any deal where you have to sign over the majority controlling interest for anything even if you bankroll the operation. In Thailand a foreigner literally can't own a house. Taking the American divorce rate of about 50%, that should be a starting point for assuming problems abroad for people that buy property in their Wife's or girlfriend's (or boyfriend's) name. Love is blind, optimism is rampant, "hope springs eternal" etc. Many good stories of ownership, but the odds are very measurable for a bad result. And this is just for normal problems. Bigger deals probably pose bigger targets and bigger temptations. If the background of this story is true, then the wife was not a good person. But even good people can have guns put to their head, or their sister's head or their mother's head. Criminals and mafia types know no bounds and can turn what you thought was a good situation with a good person into a bad situation with a good person.

if this farang is so well off why didnt he buy property in south of France ,Spain or the Greek islands where he legally owns it! He could then come out to Thailand whenever he has the urge and stay in a nice 5 star hotel.

These guys are fools. His ex wife seems to be in the middle of all this mess. . You never marry these isan village girls because they gamble and will use the title deed for collateral with loan sharks.

money gone - house gone very common throughout Thailand. The old guys are the easiest and most sought after in LOS for marriage.

Take a look at the old farang sitting on the ground. His Thai wife set him up on the first day they met. Money gone ...... shes now gone. Same old story. Old farangs never learn.

The reason he didn't buy in the south of France, Spain or the Greek islands is irrelevant.

It is obvious to me that he is a business man from what I have read ans saw an opportunity in Thailand, he had a company, and purchased land, 51% Thai owned, 49% farang, in this opportunity he trusted his wife who was probably the 51% share holder in the company, therefore allowing him to feel comfortable in "owning" the land, so to speak, and to perhaps develop the plots at a latter date, BIG mistake IMO, e.g. you NEVER give 51% to anyone, trust is a word, only to be broken, if you are confident in the word "trust", then trust up to what you are prepared to lose, noting some guys posting earlier that this quote is stupid. For me, my rule is 10% of my worth.

The quote: 'Only invest as much as your prepared to lose", doesn't necessarily mean "invest", for me it means, how much I am prepared to lose with regard to investing in my life, with my wife and children in Thailand, and my other assets stay back in Australia. I am sure this is the typical translation for most farangs, e.g. I have a house in Issan, I will rephrase that, "my wife" has a house in Issan, I have a car, rephrasing again, "my wife" has a car, this is how much I am prepared to lose after 8 years in a SOLID/HAPPY marriage, my wife doesn't gamble, she has no need too, and so far she hasn't been to any loan sharks...lol.

I don't agree with your comment, you never marry Issan girls because they gamble and will use the title deeds to collaborate with loan sharks. This of course depends on the girl/s, and she could be from any country in the world, not just Thailand, however I will agree, that Thailand has its fair share of "girls" looking for a better life, and to extract as much as they can from the soft cock ATM farang for that life, without him.

Most guys that get fleeced, have no understanding of the Thai culture, and associate Thai girls, with western girls, I am not saying I completely understand the Thai culture, but I can see with my own eyes, and be guided by my gut feel, rather than my heart. The sooner guys understand that a woman has the potential to be a snake, I don't care which woman, its in the breed IMO, including my wife, and that the farang takes care to keep control of their finances and keep their feet firmly around their girls/snakes neck, they should have a happy life, and if it goes pair shape, the he gets off lightly losing 10% of his worth.

I feel for all guys that lose, but perhaps with a few wise words from a guy with a good gut feel, and some BALLS, that others in our community from what ever country, now living in Thailand reading this post, might just avoid being taken, and have a happier life, well, that at least is my contribution in replying to this post.

Stay safe, and enjoy everyday, life is too short.

Why should Thai government care about a Farang being ripped off?

This man probably left his family at home for a good f*** in Thailand and some quick money out of the country. Wonder if he'd ever remembered his family if he would have succeeded.

A particularly moronic comment given his kids are with him here and have been all the time.

Sorry, this wasn't so clear. Are his kids Thai?

The son is . Can go to FB and type in Jessie Vard (his daughter) or better yet Google Colin Vard and/or Jessie Vard for in depth report

I see this all the time.

Owning house and land = mountains of paper work = all in Thai.

So so easy to slip in a power of attorney POA and as your signing hundreds of document that you cant read or rely on someone to [protect your interests you inadvertently sign the POA. Then its game over.

Or proxy or directors holding the majority in your company -

Feel sorry for the guy and family however he is really taking on the big guns here with a Western brain. Good luck and duck even if you hear a car back fire.

Surely there are lawas relating to the amount of interest to repay on any loan..

65 million for 600,0000 seeems a bit steep.

If this is true he should go to the military not the police as they has declared a war on corruption and cases like this should be a crownjewel for them to prove it. And cases like this are sadly more common than they should be.

Just because someone has an opinion that you do not agree with does not make the comment a troll posting.

This man comes to Thailand, starts spending huge amounts of money without any understanding of what he is getting into an still believed he owned something.

He was destined to become a victim the moment he stepped off the plane, and there will be many more behind him.

Yes I feel sorry for him, but before splashing out huge sums of money in a foreign land he needs to read up and understand what due diligence is all about.

So you're advocating that anybody and everybody is an idiot if they invest money in Thailand - even if they employ legal counsel as this person did? I make you right actually. There are much safer places to invest. Uganda, Syria... anywhere really

I guess it would shock nobody on this site but I know of other identical cases where documents at the land office were forged and ownership changed. Though getting a successful resolution was easier than this case. Guess the gang here must be well financed and influential.

Sadly, I don't think he will ever see any of the money again, too long past, too many hands

in the pot, he's a foreigner not allowed to own land, so it seems that everything is stacked

against him here... he should be carful that now, he might be a target for the crocks to try

to silence him....

Sorry to be a nitpicker but I cannot click "like" to something I don't like, however much I wholeheartedly agree as I do with the above. Would it not be better to have the options "like" or "agree"?

Also, to add to ezzra's comment, when I read the Thaivisa News report it all seemed very strange until I read that the Irishman alleged that his ex-wife was "forced to join the defrauding because she owed a debt of Bt 500,000 to a loan shark gang." Then it all became clear.

Just because someone has an opinion that you do not agree with does not make the comment a troll posting.

This man comes to Thailand, starts spending huge amounts of money without any understanding of what he is getting into an still believed he owned something.

He was destined to become a victim the moment he stepped off the plane, and there will be many more behind him.

Yes I feel sorry for him, but before splashing out huge sums of money in a foreign land he needs to read up and understand what due diligence is all about.

I think Pikey is talking about feeling sorry for the old fool instead of giving him an extra kick when he is already down. Kao jai mai?

Perhaps some folk have been here too long and also think that it's ok to rob and scam the naive. Som nom na kind of attitude.

But then again, the people lacking empathy were probably heartless people before they came to these parts. Maybe that's why they fit in better wink.png

Sometimes it is really just hard to believe how many of the members here are completely inappropriate. I sometimes wish that communities like this did not provide anonymity as I am quite certain that alone brings the brash hatred from some posters - and quite frankly some of these posters should be hit in the face for half the things they say.

Just because this is Thailand you brush off crime like its no big deal - well I have news for you.... crime anywhere in this world is an outrage.

Do you catch fox news or BBC and say 'those damn idiots back home had another shooting - they should have known by now to ban guns' - or do you have the human ability to show empathy for someone who was the victim of crime?

Did you catch the new on the recent Nepal earthquake and say 'its their fault for living in an earthquake prone area' - or were you able to have compassion and empathy for those who lost their lives or loved ones?

So what makes it different here? Because you've seen one to many farangs come here and get ripped off? That makes it more ok to you? What a complete crock of shit and honestly I feel sorry for those of you who do think like that.

Someone who was the victim of fraud in Thailand or the UK or the USA or Australia or <deleted> WHEREVER, is still a damn victim - show some humanity - show some empathy. This forum for the most part is just quite disgusting and frankly embarrassing to be associated with when the majority of users here have the inability to feel sorrow for their common man in a bad situation. I was walking home from the subway today and gave a homeless man a couple of dollars - because I am a human being and can feel empathy toward those who have fallen on misfortune. I didn't give the man a pop quiz asking why he is now homeless and then tell him 'oh hahaha, im so much better than you because I knew to rebalance my portfolio out of financial stocks before the burst in 2009 haha someone probably gave you advice to do the same but you didn't so let me laugh at you and move along'. What an ignorant and arrogant way to live your lives - here is to wishing you a short jump off a condo development.

Wonderull THAILAND......Proud i only lost 4 mil to a corrupt hungry woman...But try this is the USA or Europe, all gone anyway plus support for all....Choices are limited....Keep hiring lawyers and add to the losses or move on....SUCKS but reality

i know this man and he was ripped off badly. Yes there are. Lot of very nasty people on this site and that's why I have stopped posting. What happened to empathy? It doesn't exit in a lot of people. There must be some very bitter posters on this website. Shame on all of you.

Police offer a fair investigation this will cost him, if you would just like to sign here and here we will sort out all your financial complaints without much cost to yourself and you will only deal with the honest police.

Archived