Windows 7updates not installing, getting error message

steveb6

I have 4 important updates that will not install on Windows 7 and I get an error message. Every time I turn off the computer it tries to install these updates. Can someone please suggest what I can do.

Security Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB3056819)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 on Windows 7, Vista, Server 2008, 3.8mb

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 on Windows 7, Vista, Server 2008, 13mb

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 on Windows 7, Vista, Server 2008,10.9mb

.Net Framework updates, they are the bane of my bleedin life.

Try googling "Windows Update x64 KBnnnnnnnn Download" (or whatever version you are running.

Download the Update as a standalone installer.

Then try and run it (as administrator).

If that doesn't work, come back to me because there is then a tedious procedure to fix Windows Update.

Try googling "Windows Update x64 KBnnnnnnnn Download" (or whatever version you are running.

If that doesn't work, come back to me because there is then a tedious procedure to fix Windows Update.

I have known all about having a corrupted update history for a few months now. IMHO there's not many of those long-winded MS 'fixes' that work (so far none for me) and they have probably taken an hour off my life that I won't get back. Tedious is an understatement.

Depending on how many programs and how much data the OP has, it may be quicker and guaranteed more successful to do a clean o/s reinstall. I know that's what I will be doing next month.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46962

Then press download button in red & nothing to download! facepalm.gif

Do you have a pop-up blocker, because for me it opens a window with the two versions available:

Choose the download you want
File Name
Size

NDP45-KB3023224-x64.exe

3.8 MB

NDP45-KB3023224-x86.exe

3.8 MB

Try a different Browser.

Edited by Chicog

I have known all about having a corrupted update history for a few months now. IMHO there's not many of those long-winded MS 'fixes' that work (so far none for me) and they have probably taken an hour off my life that I won't get back. Tedious is an understatement.

Depending on how many programs and how much data the OP has, it may be quicker and guaranteed more successful to do a clean o/s reinstall. I know that's what I will be doing next month.

Correct, it is a real PITA!

Just wanted to thank you for your nice post(s). Even not having problems now, but it's basically people like you who make this forum to a good one.

Cheers-thumbsup.gif

Not all are good doing that alone. And considering the superb "technicians" here, you might end up with something worse. My Filipino colleague brought his notebook to a shop, because i wasn't at school last Friday.

Now he's got Windows 8.1 in Thai. Would he know what " Classic Shell" is? I'd just installed a new W 7 a few weeks ago, with all superb programs, but his son must have done something really stupid and I don't have the time to do that for him.

I've watched guys in my friend's computer shop many times.

Whenever they do a set up and anything says press no and vice versa, they make exactly the opposite. Hrrgskemfv

Do you have a pop-up blocker, because for me it opens a window with the two versions available:

File Name
Size

NDP45-KB3023224-x64.exe

3.8 MB

NDP45-KB3023224-x86.exe

3.8 MB

Try a different Browser.

Yes, I did get that page and there are two options (one for x64, and another for x86) as you said. It is the download button in red that got me annoyed. Pressed that and nothing happened. I tried both Firefox and Google Chrome. I am not sure what is the cause of the problem - could be browsers' issues or MS page. Java or Javascript issues? or whatever? Did you manage to download that successfully?

File Name
Size

NDP45-KB3023224-x64.exe

3.8 MB

NDP45-KB3023224-x86.exe

3.8 MB

Try a different Browser.

Yes, I did get that page and there are two options (one for x64, and another for x86) as you said. It is the download button in red that got me annoyed. Pressed that and nothing happened. I tried both Firefox and Google Chrome. I am not sure what is the cause of the problem - could be browsers' issues or MS page. Java or Javascript issues? or whatever? Did you manage to download that successfully?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. You select language and click the Download button to get a list of (two) versions in that language. Then click on the appropriate link for the version you want to download.

My experience agrees with this - trying to fix a botched .net update took way longer than just reinstalling everything (which I had to do eventually anyway).

I had some mess in my Win7 installation. I was going to reinstall, but then learned about upgrade, which is not really an upgrade but a re-install over the present Win7 installation.

See the vid in message #10 in this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/793261-windows-registry-cleanersoptimizers/

I used the same installation source (on a USB drive) as the original. It takes a while, it may tell you that you need more space on your C: drive to do the upgrade, maybe a few other tweaks required.

After it was done it needed to re-do all Windows updates -- the entire update history was zapped. This will also take a while. At one point the updating froze, no progress for over an hour after happily doing it's thing up till then.

Re-booted, froze again at the same point, then had the bright idea to turn off av and firewall, and soon it was done. A few things had to be re-installed (av, firewall, graphics and wifi drivers, etc).

Outcome: CPU usage now idles in single digits (beforehand it never idled below 20%), and my graphics weirdness and sometimes questionable net connectivity is a thing of the past. Also a lot more free space on my C: drive. It's been nearly two months and I'm still impressed.

The fellow in the vid says some things about service packs. In my case the installation source included SP1 and the program didn't complain.

If you go this route let us know how it goes. I tried something like this ages ago (can't recall what Win version), what it did was a complete reinstall and moved the Program Data dir to a salvage directory, only somewhat useful.

And of course you'll do an full image backup of the C: drive, beforehand right? thumbsup.gif

Edited by bendejo

File Name
Size

NDP45-KB3023224-x64.exe

3.8 MB

NDP45-KB3023224-x86.exe

3.8 MB

Try a different Browser.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. You select language and click the Download button to get a list of (two) versions in that language. Then click on the appropriate link for the version you want to download.

Download is somewhat working with Maxthon browser but the installation is not succeeded. Oh, forget that; this attention is not worthwhile as the release of windows 10 is coming soon. Thanks for reading.

I had some mess in my Win7 installation. I was going to reinstall, but then learned about upgrade, which is not really an upgrade but a re-install over the present Win7 installation.

See the vid in message #10 in this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/793261-windows-registry-cleanersoptimizers/

I used the same installation source (on a USB drive) as the original. It takes a while, it may tell you that you need more space on your C: drive to do the upgrade, maybe a few other tweaks required.

After it was done it needed to re-do all Windows updates -- the entire update history was zapped. This will also take a while. At one point the updating froze, no progress for over an hour after happily doing it's thing up till then.

Re-booted, froze again at the same point, then had the bright idea to turn off av and firewall, and soon it was done. A few things had to be re-installed (av, firewall, graphics and wifi drivers, etc).

Outcome: CPU usage now idles in single digits (beforehand it never idled below 20%), and my graphics weirdness and sometimes questionable net connectivity is a thing of the past. Also a lot more free space on my C: drive. It's been nearly two months and I'm still impressed.

The fellow in the vid says some things about service packs. In my case the installation source included SP1 and the program didn't complain.

If you go this route let us know how it goes. I tried something like this ages ago (can't recall what Win version), what it did was a complete reinstall and moved the Program Data dir to a salvage directory, only somewhat useful.

And of course you'll do an full image backup of the C: drive, beforehand right? thumbsup.gif

Thanks for re-posting that link. I may just try that option first instead of committing myself to a clean reinstall. I would assume that the Britec guy was doing an in-place reinstall on a system with near to bugger all installed whereas yours had bit more installed, hence taking longer? Mine has loads of stuff installed over the years, mostly paid and randomly required at work so if this fix takes another hour and it works, I will be a lot happier versus the hours needed after a total mucking out and reinstallation.

whistling.gif Hasn't all Monkey Soft update services for Windows 7 been unavailable for at least 2 years now?

Yes, do know it's correctly called Microsoft, but I prefer to call it Monkey Soft.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Since I bought my Mac Mini, the cheapest of the 3 available (฿16,900) I have been nothing but happy. I also got Mac Keeper (approx ฿2,000), which protects against various forms of computer virus, and keeps the Mac safe. On the 3 occasions I ran into something I didn't know how to do, I simply contacted their online chat support staff, and all 3 times they used "share" with me, and then pointed out to me what to do, and how to do something. Always polite, always helpful. Open 24/7. You sure as hell won't find that with Windows. No more sitting here drinking coffee and having a smoke while waiting for Windows to load a page or website. No more "freeze ups" where I have to restart the pc. No more overall B.S. to have to contend with. You couldn't pay me to go back to Windows.

I had the same problem for months with a legal Windows 7, and the Reimage repair program I purchased would not resolve this.

In the end the support team from the above program remotely took over my computer and fixed it.

Now I have no problems.

OP is not looking for a Mac vs Windows debate - quit spamming the thread.

I usually install my updates in "groups" of related/same type items instead of all at once, except for large updates & .NET updates, which I usually do singly. Yeah, it takes longer & requires more interaction, but I end up with multiple restore points to choose from if something goes wrong, and if an update fails it's easier to isolate the bad one. If one update fails, I might try it again, once or twice, and again after all the other updates are done, and then again after one or two reboots.. If it still doesn't work, I just let it rest for a few days (or even longer). One of the above has always resolved things. I had one particularly stubborn issue with a .NET update months back, and I ended up just waiting for the next update cycle, which resolved it.

I think the idea of temporarily disabling pop-up blockers, AV, firewalls, anti-malware, etc, is a good one; just don't forget to turn them back on! Also, make sure you're viewing full-screen and not missing a do-you-want-to-run-or-save type notification way down at the bottom of the screen or somewhere else.

File Name
Size

NDP45-KB3023224-x64.exe

3.8 MB

NDP45-KB3023224-x86.exe

3.8 MB

Try a different Browser.

If at first you don't succeed, try reading the fine print...

it will give you a Download Link option the second time through

MS_doesnotstart.PNG

MS_KB3023224.PNG