Reading In Bangkok

ThaiPauly

To any Reading fans that might read this forum apart from me, the Royals are playing a Thai All Stars team at the National Stadium on July 8th, kick off 7pm.

I have already had a couple of people who go on the Reading fans forum say that they are gonna meet up for a pre-match drink so anyone that has an interest in watching Reading play here and would like a swift pint beforehand please let me know.

I am not expecting many repliessad.png

Here's the announcement on the Reading FC site.

Royals to visit Thailand
Reading Football Club will make an historic trip to Thailand this pre-season.
Steve Clarke and his first team squad are due to fly on the first weekend in July, arriving in Bangkok on Sunday 6th July before playing a fixture against a Thailand Premier League All-Star representative team at the National Stadium in Bangkok on Wednesday 8th July, kick off 7pm local time.
The game will be televised in Thailand by local broadcaster Thairath TV. The fixture is subject to normal ratification by the relevant Football Associations.
This tour, which will also include a short trip to the island of Ko Samui towards the end of the week, is our first ever trip to Thailand and it gives us the opportunity to showcase the club in the homeland of our new shareholders.
Lady Sasima Srivikorn said: “I am delighted that Thailand will be hosting Reading Football Club as part of the pre-season schedule this summer and I am very excited about what will be a wonderful week in my native country. I am sure the people of Thailand will warmly welcome the players and our coaching team with very open arms.”

Cool. Maybe Reading should look at the writings about Les-tuh. Learn from others errors. BTW I know its pronounced Redding, but being a yank had to hear it to know back when. Hope they have an enjoyable visit to the kingdom.

Heard there where only 40.000 spare seats left.....

Does that mean that 10,000 have been sold, amazing!!

You do know that there is an official Reading fan club in Bangkok?

We meet the last Friday of every month in a phone booth at the top of soi 59 on Sukhumvit, but there is always room for more fans in there if anyone wants to join!!!

What's the price? I remember back in 2008, I think it was, Man City coming to BKK in May and playing and losing against the Thai all-stars. It was a good match to go to because it was so cheap, just a few hundred baht or maybe even 100 or 200? Then the big clubs come here and they want 1500 baht at the cheapest, which in my opinion is too much for the market, especially considering these pre-season matches can be poor on quality as the English team players are just getting their fitness.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago (10?) Bolton, City & Everton all played each other in a tournament in Bangkok. Highlight of the tour was Joey Barton stubbing out his cigar in an Everton fan's face. Expect a trip from Sheff Wed.

TP happy to join you for a pint but not going to the game lol

Hi Smokie,

Well that would be great, but I think I have cut my travel time to close to the game and will only get there just before kick off, I had not allowed for it taking so long to get to Don Muang to the stadium.

Anyway, still no sign of any tickets for sale. I have e-mailed the club but despite them promising to answer any questions within 72 hours I still have not heard back from them over a week later.

I would be loathe to travel without a ticket, maybe it's gonna be played behind closed doors for all I know? Ticketmaster who sold the tickets for the Chelsea game are already advertising tickets for the Liverpool game which is a week later.

It's annoying supporting a relatively small club, nobody seems interested in Reading and I can understand that, but it' still not right, there were at least 3 Reading fans who wanted to go!!!

I'm in Bangkok, so I'll make enquiries and go to the ground if necessary to get information on tickets. I'll post any useful info I can uncover here.

I suppose it could be pay on the gate. I know there are a few loyal Royals who have booked their flights, so I am sure some announcement will be made by the club before too long.

• 2 weeks later...

Tickets now on sale from Thai Ticket Major: 500, 400 and 200 Baht.

Covered seating @ 500 and 400, uncovered @ 200.

I tried the Thai Ticket Major web site but could only get a google- translate version which didn't make any sense to me. So hopefully I'll be able to buy a ticket at the ground.

Tickets now on sale from Thai Ticket Major: 500, 400 and 200 Baht.

Covered seating @ 500 and 400, uncovered @ 200.

I tried the Thai Ticket Major web site but could only get a google- translate version which didn't make any sense to me. So hopefully I'll be able to buy a ticket at the ground.

The website does have an EN version. Click on 'How to buy tickets' and there is an option detailing how to buy at Thai Ticket Major Outlets. I think this would be the easiest way. There are 13 places around Bangkok where you can buy tickets for all events. There's one in Siam Square, one in Central Chitlom, one in The Paragon and one in Zen at Central World. I've ordered online to pick up at the stadium, but as far as I know, there is no option to buy on the night.