Concrete or Steel

My Thai wife wants to build a bungalow, I have seen concrete posts/pillars, Which would be cheaper and better option, time wise, and cost effective.,

I was thinking of steel, becasue the roof joists will be steel. I have seen corner pillars made with forms and concert. But i think steel would be a better

option, Any thoughts from someone who has pondered this situation and done this, Also what about the strength when the blocks are cemented to the

pillars, I was thinking of drilling holes every other block height wise, and putting reinforcing bars in to tie them in for strength. any thoughts and thanks

In advance.

The concrete pillars are reinforced so the roof joists can be welded to the steel that has been thoughtfully left poking out of the top. You will want to use aac blocks for the walls and these are supposed to be attached to the pillars every third row. However the Thais generally don't bother with this, and speaking as someone that just recently banged a hole through a (concrete block) wall in order to insert a window, these walls are remarkably solid.

The quality of Thai steel is not fantastic and I would hesitate to use it for anything else than a roof.

Don't assume that the Thai way of doing things is rubbish, although it is generally aiming at getting the cheapest solution possible. You will need to find out about aac blocks and be sure that your builders use them correctly.

The concrete pillars are reinforced so the roof joists can be welded to the steel that has been thoughtfully left poking out of the top. You will want to use aac blocks for the walls and these are supposed to be attached to the pillars every third row. However the Thais generally don't bother with this, and speaking as someone that just recently banged a hole through a (concrete block) wall in order to insert a window, these walls are remarkably solid.

The quality of Thai steel is not fantastic and I would hesitate to use it for anything else than a roof.

Don't assume that the Thai way of doing things is rubbish, although it is generally aiming at getting the cheapest solution possible. You will need to find out about aac blocks and be sure that your builders use them correctly.

Thanks for your prompt reply

Its not for cheapness just exploring the options, I will use thermal blocks, Blocking in between the pillars. Is glue better or cement, i know there is special

glue but as the blocks will be skimmed would glue be of any better than cement.

The next question is can ready made pillers be bought to size, and or would it be better to make my own with forms. Time is of the essence really as we

would have to find somewhere to stay while the building is going on , I want to be there to see that work is done efficiently and to cost.

Steel columns require more care and accuracy, would be an easier/ faster route in another country, however a concrete frame would be cheaper and more efficient in Thailand. For a bungalow, provided the gable/ side wall of the house doesn't exceed 4m, then using infill blockwork up to one storey shouldnt be any structural problem.

Walls however - you could drive a bike through half the houses in Thailand, I have seen these hollow clay bricks with huge eneven mortar joints and that seems to be the standard. If I were you I would build all outisde walls with a bit of attention (do whatever you want for internal walls), since you seem to have rolled your sleeves up. Go for a minimum solid concrete masonry unit which has a density of 1400 kg/m3 minimum, you can get that figure by varying the thickness/ type to suit your budget (breezeblock, cinderblock, solid - whatever you want to call it) You will not need to provide ties and the work can go unsupervised, as any poor workmanship would be evident before plastering.

And make sure the perimeter wall foundation / floor slab is suitable to build on first!

Edited by coulson

Thanks for your prompt reply

Its not for cheapness just exploring the options, I will use thermal blocks, Blocking in between the pillars. Is glue better or cement, i know there is special

glue but as the blocks will be skimmed would glue be of any better than cement.

The next question is can ready made pillers be bought to size, and or would it be better to make my own with forms. Time is of the essence really as we

would have to find somewhere to stay while the building is going on , I want to be there to see that work is done efficiently and to cost.

Ok, I wasn't suggesting that you were looking for a cheap solution, merely that the Thais do it that way. Glue for sure, the whole point of these blocks is that they insulate and cement definitely doesn't. You will have to be there for sure, I have seen building sites where the 'glue' has been ignored and the blocks cemented together. You can find stuff on youtube about how to do this if your builders have no experience. The water/powder ratio is important, for instance, you will have to stop the b%%%%ers from just sloshing water about. Same thing for the rendering, Youtube, special rendering. I just finished building an extension myself, so am still genned up.

Another problem will be that your supplier will go cross eyed when you ask for the special, not expensive, tools that are needed. Don't take the 7.5 cm blocks that you see everywhere, you need 10cm.

Another thing to consider is how will you get workers to understand your requirements. Most of them can only do what they know... the way they always do it. They're not eager to do it the 'crazy' foreigner's way. They'll charge you more and still do it their way, when you're not watching.

There is an organic restaurant here in Chiang Mai that was just built with square steel pillars holding up the roof and it is very nice. They put brick up about a meter and large windows above that to the roof line so it is very bright inside. Steel will be more expensive and you also have to consider corrosion in Thailand's humid and hot environment, along with watering plants around that steel. Not sure if many crews would know how to properly mate up windows with the steel but they certainly know how with concrete beams and brick walls. Steel will eventually rust, whereas concrete lasts for decades.

concrete pillars are better. They last for a very long time and are very stable. Also they way to fix your steel beams for the roof is that you join them to the iron/steel parts that come out of the concrete pillars.

Wood bungalows cost 200k, how much to build ?

I am knocking down a wood Bungalow, Termites have a field day with them , That's why i am building a brick bungalow.

Thanks for all the input it has given me something to think about, As for getting the right workman ,I have already got him, I helped him build the Mrs Uncles

house next door, Last year, he is a good honest man, He speaks English, I speak a bit of Thai and the wife's family live next door to the plot of land, I have

sounded out the Building merchants around My area, In Sahmut Prakan, I am going for the Concrete pillars and steel roof, which is what i preferred from the

start, I will be building the base from scratch, so i will make certain its deep enough to bear the weight of the pillars bricks and roof. again thanks for all the

input much appreciated.