Thailand Elite Card

With all the changes in the immigration rules, I was wondering if the Elite Card would be a good option. All those hassles and formalities don't make me happy and I am looking for a quick and easy solution and don't mind paying a premium fee for a long term solution.

Is Thailand Elite all about just paying the membership fee and you get the special entry visa immediately or do you need to have blue blood or be a celebrity?

How long does it take to process?

Can I do it while in Thailand?

Must admit its got me curious on it too...I dont give a rats ass if they cant deliver on all the misc benefits, eating out, golfing, flights yada yada...but if the visa aspect holds up id be quite willing to pay 1 million baht for it....

Maybe someone should email Thai Elite and ask them for a guarantee that shows a letter from immigration that they accept the benefits offered from this company.

Any bets if you would get a reply ?

I daubt they would ask you to pay for the membership fee if they knew Immigration would turn you down. This would jeopardize the entire program and the reputation of Thailand in general.

As said in a previous posting by ArtfulD the other benefits for golf clubs and spas are not that importantt at all.

If I could go to their office tomorrow, pay the membership fee and get the Special Entry Visa within a short period of time, I would do it without hesitation.

I wrote them an email today and hope they will 'invite' me to enroll :-)

With all the changes in the immigration rules, I was wondering if the Elite Card would be a good option. All those hassles and formalities don't make me happy and I am looking for a quick and easy solution and don't mind paying a premium fee for a long term solution.

Is Thailand Elite all about just paying the membership fee and you get the special entry visa immediately or do you need to have blue blood or be a celebrity?

There was a background check that took a week (I think just a cursory criminal record check), then once you're approved you transfer the money to their account (in my case their bank in HK - IIRC you can't transfer the money in Thailand...they want it offshore, no doubt for tax reasons). Once the payment is confirmed, they'll email you your membership number and you're free to start using the privileges - the membership card will follow on a few weeks later.

I didn't get the visa for another month or so, but that was just laziness on my part. Once you're a member, you give them 3 days notice of when and where you want it, and they'll sort it out; either at your next point of entry into Thailand, or at the immi office in Suan Plu. I did it at Don Muang; they sat me down in a lounge with a drink and in 10 minutes it was all done. Shiny new 5 year visa, and a 90 day entry stamp.

Now. With all the changes to the investment visa, I don't rule out there may be changes in the TE benefits. I'm hoping not, but you never know. I've sent an email off to my rep there to ask if there will be "enhancements" to the visa in light of recent developments, and will post here when I get a reply.

Well, TE is nothing if not efficient (shame about the level of English though!) - already got the reply. So it now seems that not only are the visa privileges remaining unchanged, they will be increasing the length of entry stamps!

Looking better and better at the moment, but this being Thailand, you still never know!

Dear Mr. XXX

Thank you very much for your reply. I will reserve the ticket for you. Please kindly let me know the route you would like to fly.

Regarding to your inquired, our privilege on visa is still the same. Nothing changes. By the way the length of staying in Thailand will be extended which is on the process. Once it has been launch I will let you know.

If you need further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards

XXX

Customer Relations

isn't it 2 million baht now (or in the near future?) with a 40,000 baht annual "fee"?

When the scheme started, it was 1m for people normally resident abroad and 2m for those normally resident in Thailand. AFAIK this was made 1m across the board fairly soon after implementation. Bear in mind that you cannot be a member of TE and have permanent residency or by extension be a Thai national.

There was an annual fee of 40,000, but this was cancelled at the beginning of this year, so now it's just the one-off 1m. I've not heard (aside from one rumour here on thaivisa) about a price increase. Having said that, I'd imagine there may well be more interest now so they could probably get away with bumping the price up a notch.

There are now 3 sub-programmes that can be subscribed to on a yearly basis (what they've basically done is taken out some of the privileges from the core programme).

The core programme gets you:

The visa. 5 year visas for life (or for the life of the programme more like!). 90 day stamps and no need for border-runs to renew them. As I noted above, they've just told me that they will be increasing the duration of these stamps soon.

Golf and spa privileges. One round or spa free per day (you still have to pay caddy fees etc., the same as a usual member).

Express passport control.

Free limo to and from the airport to your home/hotel (only within certain areas – you wouldn't get a free car from Don Muang to Hua Hin for example).

Top-tier status with TG, along with one two-for-one premium international ticket per year. 25% off all domestic premium tickets.

Complementary membership at the Bangkok Pacific City Club (kind of gentleman's club).

One free full medical examination per year and discounts at most of the big international hospitals.

Various other piddly benefits; hotel upgrades, restaurant perks etc.

The three sub-programmes are:

Elite Connections – 70,000 per year.

Membership of the Cascade Fitness Club in Bangkok.

Extra golf privilege – turn up at one of three courses as you are and they'll kit you out with clothes and clubs for a round!

Government contacts – not really sure about this, as they've been perfectly happy to help me out with this and I didn't join the sub-programme.

Personal liaison – a PA and limo for two days a year to help out with getting red-tape sorted out etc.

Elite Living – 60,000 per year.

Free medical treatments. Stuff like liposuction or Lasik. Quite a few to choose from.

Personal liaison as above.

Elite Moments – 40,000 pre year

One free spa holiday at various spas. From 2 nights/3 days at the Oriental Dhara Devi to 3 nights/4 days at Baan Thai.

7 days yacht mooring in Pattaya or Phuket.

Personal liaison as above.

Personally I reckon the sub-programmes aren't worth it, with the possible exception of the Lasik (although I have no idea how much that usually costs). Anyway, you're free to join any sub-programme at any time for one year or for many.

Of course the major question is, as it has always been, how long will the programme last, and what happens to your money if it's cancelled? That's a risk-reward calculation everybody has to make their own minds up about.

It certainly seems to garner a lot of bad press... a couple of recent examples:

Elite Card still floundering

Published on Jul 25, 2006 - The Nation

Elite Card costs Bt1 million if the holder lives abroad, and Bt2 million if the holder lives in Thailand.

=================================

Taiwanese suing Elite Card firm

Published on Aug 23, 2006 - The Nation

Thailand Privilege Card Co Ltd (TPC), a quasi-state agency in charge of selling Thailand Elite Cards to wealthy tourists worldwide, is fighting a claim by a group of Taiwanese millionaires that the company took their money but failed to issue their cards.

Four millionaires recently filed a civil lawsuit naming TPC and its executives as defendants.

==================================

The following are the qualifications for personal membership. The applicant must:

• Not be a Thai citizen

• Not a hold a permanent residence certificate

• Not have been declared bankrupt

• Not have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of more than six months (irrespective of whether or not the applicant was actually imprisoned)

• Not have been declared a person unsound of mind, incompetent or quasi incompetent

Be allowed to stay in Thailand in accordance with the immigration laws or any related laws of Thailand

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps Meerkat or another Elite member could enlighten me, with regard to the Elite 5-year visa, once you are a member, do you 'apply' for this visa in a similar way to other visas, or is it simply a case of the Immigration officer taking your passport and stamping it?

Is the 90-day extension process the same as for other visas i.e. TM7 + 1900 baht?

I'm basically wondering if the process indicates whether there are any further requirements to get the visa (+extensions) which are additional to the membership requirements.

Edited by silvero

Perhaps Meerkat or another Elite member could enlighten me, with regard to the Elite 5-year visa, once you are a member, do you 'apply' for this visa in a similar way to other visas, or is it simply a case of the Immigration officer taking your passport and stamping it?

Is the 90-day extension process the same as for other visas i.e. TM7 + 1900 baht?

I'm basically wondering if the process indicates whether there are any further requirements to get the visa (+extensions) which are additional to the membership requirements.

For each 90-day extesion, you have to pay 1,900 baht for processing fee. The beauty of it is that you don't have to leave the country. And the 5-year visa is automactically renew (free of charge) every 5 years.

[DO NOT BELIVE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ THE DISCLAIMER FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

ANY BENEFITS OR RIGHTS COULD BE CHANGED AT ANY TIME WITHOUT ORIOR NOTICE

:D:D:D ,,,,

TRY TO GET A LETTER FROM ELITE CARD CERTIFI. THAT THEY WILL RETURN THE MONEY TO YOU IF BENEFITS IN ESPEC. THE VIASAPROGRAMM WOULD BE CHANGED

YOU NOT GET IT !!!!!!!!!

ASK CALLCENTER OR IN PERSON!!!

THINK FOR THE DISCLAIMER !!!!! :D:D

Live by the first and last rule of life in Thailand.

NEVER EVER PUT MORE MONEY HERE THAN YOU ARE WILLING AND ABLE TO WALK AWAY FROM!

If a 1M baht visa fits inside that Law of Expat prosperity and happiness, by all means have at it. Wish I could do it but a million baht loss would really mess up my day.

Meerkat, do you have a work permit ?

Reading through the TE website i see they offer fastrack workpermit processing if you are elligable.

I guess a work permit would have to be updated every 90 days as per usual.

Must admit i'm tempted to put the new pickup truck on hold and buy a (at least 5 years )hassel free stay

Reading through the TE website i see they offer fastrack workpermit processing if you are elligable.

Must admit i'm tempted to put the new pickup truck on hold and buy a (at least 5 years )hassel free stay

I'm in the process of purchasing an elite card and from the email conversations with the Elite company (Europe division) they are unable to assist in getting a WP, but can merely point you in the right direction..this info I got 3 days ago.

[DO NOT BELIVE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ THE DISCLAIMER FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

ANY BENEFITS OR RIGHTS COULD BE CHANGED AT ANY TIME WITHOUT ORIOR NOTICE

:D:D:D ,,,,

TRY TO GET A LETTER FROM ELITE CARD CERTIFI. THAT THEY WILL RETURN THE MONEY TO YOU IF BENEFITS IN ESPEC. THE VIASAPROGRAMM WOULD BE CHANGED

YOU NOT GET IT !!!!!!!!!

ASK CALLCENTER OR IN PERSON!!!

THINK FOR THE DISCLAIMER !!!!! :D:D

Strikes me as bloody good advice, that one. Especially as the scheme was started by a man now despised...

I'm in the process of purchasing an elite card and from the email conversations with the Elite company (Europe division) they are unable to assist in getting a WP, but can merely point you in the right direction..this info I got 3 days ago.

well then, there's some real prestigious V.I.P. service with an Elite red carpet touch...

"What's that? You say would like our help to get a work permit? Sure thing, the Labor Ministry building is over thataway." - - ->>>

"Is there anything else we can help you with today? No? Ok then, have a nice day."

The latest edition of Pattaya.com/Land & House magazine, August 2006 Issue 22, has an article on page 84 which states that "the Thailand Elite Card which will benefit foreign investors and tourists greatly, for instance, the policy to relax the Land Laws which will enable foreign members of the Elite Card to possess land through zoning in Pattaya, Chiangmai, Nong Khai and Koh Samui."

(This was before the coup although the writer, Somshogun, does presage it with "...since this was the brain child of Prime Minister Taksin Shinawatra which has given rise to the question, what would happened if the PM was no longer in office?")

I wonder how an Elite Card holder would be looked upon when it comes to getting PR. I know you cannot get the EC if you have PR. But what if you got the EC and then worked in LoS with a WP, paid taxes etc etc - and then applied for PR, (obviously dropping the EC when you get PR).

Would it be considered a better route than having say, an O visa based on support of a Thai wife?

Simon

Due to the financial problems, comings and goings on the Board, and the present "investigations" of anything connected with the former PM, anyone handing over 1 million baht at the moment would need to quickly visit the nearest psychiatric clinic. :o