Paying rent 5 years in advance.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please kindly expand on the scams you were referring to, are you talking about people who claim to own the property but are not really the owners? are these Thai, falangs or both?

Local "Thais" only see themselves as Thais when it suits them - they call any Thai not native to KPG/Samui "outsiders". So let's call them locals to avoid confusion. Nowadays there seems to be little difference between greedy locals and farangs involved in any KPG property deal, so caveat emptor.

If you are dealing with an islander, ask for their Chanot land deed with their ID card name on it, and be very careful with potential forgeries.

If you are dealing with a Thai (e.g. from Bangkok), ask for their Chanot land deed with their ID card name on it.

With farangs (who cannot personally own land anywhere in Thailand), ask for the company's Chanot, and proof that said company director(s) match their passport name - you'll find that often there is a lease involved.

But whatever you do, never, never offer more than three months' rent in advance - any request for more cash is very likely to be part of a scam.

But whatever you do, never, never offer more than three months' rent in advance - any request for more cash is very likely to be part of a scam.

In you nightmare maybe? tongue.png...
...But in reality...I pay for one year, and then only pay for 10 months instead of 12, my owner is an old lady native from Samui, but now lives in Bangkok, If I have a problem, with an air conditionner for instance, I pay first since she is in Bangkok, and she gives my money back, if one of her other houses is not rented I pay the electricity bill if any for they all in the same letter box, always had my money back.
In a previous house before coming here, 3 years ago I forgot an envelope hidden with 1.000 € in cash the owner, an old gentleman relative of her, came and gave me the envelope back. So once again all those ideas of EVERY Thai owners being thieves is ridiculous wai.gif

Please kindly expand on the scams you were referring to, are you talking about people who claim to own the property but are not really the owners? are these Thai, falangs or both?

Local "Thais" only see themselves as Thais when it suits them - they call any Thai not native to KPG/Samui "outsiders". So let's call them locals to avoid confusion. Nowadays there seems to be little difference between greedy locals and farangs involved in any KPG property deal, so caveat emptor.

If you are dealing with an islander, ask for their Chanot land deed with their ID card name on it, and be very careful with potential forgeries.

If you are dealing with a Thai (e.g. from Bangkok), ask for their Chanot land deed with their ID card name on it.

With farangs (who cannot personally own land anywhere in Thailand), ask for the company's Chanot, and proof that said company director(s) match their passport name - you'll find that often there is a lease involved.

...But in reality...I pay for one year, and then only pay for 10 months instead of 12, my owner is an old lady native from Samui, but now lives in Bangkok, If I have a problem, with an air conditionner for instance, I pay first since she is in Bangkok, and she gives my money back, if one of her other houses is not rented I pay the electricity bill if any for they all in the same letter box, always had my money back.
In a previous house before coming here, 3 years ago I forgot an envelope hidden with 1.000 € in cash the owner, an old gentleman relative of her, came and gave me the envelope back. So once again all those ideas of EVERY Thai owners being thieves is ridiculous wai.gif

"Tchooptip", your landlord living in Bkk is for all practical purposes a Thai (and she's obviously had enough of Samui).

I am referring to the locals (islanders, who consider themselves Thai only when it suits them) in KPG, a socially-backward place that you've obviously never spent any meaningful time in, with your rose-colored glasses.

Anyone in KPG asking for more than a year's rent is likely a criminal setting up a scam. And I'm fairly sure I know who the Bantai family asking for 5 years' rent are, a bunch of common thiefs who have tried this modus operandi more than once.

• 2 weeks later...

"Tchooptip", your landlord living in Bkk is for all practical purposes a Thai (and she's obviously had enough of Samui).

I am referring to the locals (islanders, who consider themselves Thai only when it suits them) in KPG, a socially-backward place that you've obviously never spent any meaningful time in, with your rose-colored glasses.

Anyone in KPG asking for more than a year's rent is likely a criminal setting up a scam. And I'm fairly sure I know who the Bantai family asking for 5 years' rent are, a bunch of common thiefs who have tried this modus operandi more than once.

At first I did not felt like answering since I have nothing to sell nothing to provesmile.png

Rereading I am supposed to have rose-colored tinted glasses ? Even thought I only gave my own examples with my own landlord(s) so this remark is totally biased, like saying "my landlord living in Bangkok for all practical purposes, bla bla bla.

My landlord unfortunately is in Bangkok for the poor lady undergoes a chemotherapy for a cancer, normally she lives in Hua Thanon.

True I do not know KPG, but where did I said a single word about this place? OK you were talking with yourself, sorry, me I was only answering to the sentence "But whatever you do, never, never offer more than three months' rent in advance - any request for more cash is very likely to be part of a scam"

sentence with which I disagree plus find it ridiculous, and allow me to tell you I am probably happier with my glasses than I would be with yours tongue.png

Nothing wrong with paying 3 months 1 year or 30 years

If you are really consirned who the owner is then get the land and draw a map of how to get to it

Then go to the land office and find the Chanote number then with the the Chanote number you can see the Chanote and who the owners are and previous owners

There are scams out there but normally good rental agencies should protect you from scams as the agency should know who the owners are

Yes you pay more as they do have commission but you do get a little protection

Though for 30,000 per month that's 1.8 million over 5 years

You could long keen lease with your name in the back of the land deed for 30 years. Probably 5 also