Can you haggle when buying a new sport bike?

A couple people asked what bikes I'm looking at. I'm looking at the Yamaha YZF R15 and the Honda CBR 150R. Both are 150cc, so nothing powerful, but they both look nice and are plenty fast enough for me. Today I went to Honda and looked at the CBR. I thought it was more expensive than the Yamaha, but they said 80,000 (both Yamaha dealerships said 86k for the R15). Personally, I like the looks of the Yamaha more, however I decided on the Honda. Obviously I'll save 6k, but also the CBR is a bigger bike in every dimension. As a taller guy, the Yamaha felt a bit small. The CBR feels better for me. Also the passenger seat on the Yamaha is way too high up.

981864-2012-yamaha-r15-v2-0-ownership-reHonda-CBR150R-Thailand-Colours-Modish-Wh

Just for fun and out of boredom I went to Kawasaki yesterday, they were going to throw me a z800 after a small deposit of 55000, and 7200 a month... Needless to say, I am no longer bothering to look at the cbr, I am now trying to justify to myself and my gf on why I need a z800 when I am only in Thailand 4-6 months a year...

Because the rent for such a bike in 4 - 6 month would also be high,

normal 1.000 - 1.500 Baht a day with a Good insurance ?

Is = 5X30 days 150.000.- B. ? Or many month discount? =? anyway 100.000.- ++ Baht

You would pay now yearly 84.000.- + Baht and its yours. wink.png

BUT did they allow you a testride?

You are a fast "decision maker" smile.png

I still struggle to decide.rolleyes.gif

Kawasaki, Yamaha, Ducati ? whistling.gif See my link.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/826754-ducati-monster-821-yamaha-mt-09-kawasaki-z-800-which-one/

For the cbr 150, should be 80 000 b with registration and 3 years theft insurance included; 2000 per year. Also should be the new one with dual headlights. If you get the older one, like the photo above, probably can be cheaper.

PS - the idea that CASH will get you a discount is not necessarily true......if they sell on finance they still get their money, they may even get a fee from the finance company so sometimes they even prefer to sell on finance.

PS - the idea that CASH will get you a discount is not necessarily true......if they sell on finance they still get their money, they may even get a fee from the finance company so sometimes they even prefer to sell on finance.

I think this is the score every time for a dealer not "sometimes" for new bikes. You also get 1st class insurance as opposed to government insurance if you take the credit route over cash.

Most of the time all you will get as an extra is a cheesy nylon jacket or a 200 baht helmet. Now if you buy extra items like a top box or panniers they may give an overall discount as the accessories they can jog around the prices. The bikes are all preset by Kawi Honda or Ducati or whoever & they leave little room to discount. The Thai way is why give you a discount if they don't get one.

BTW - even if the dealer refuses to budge on price, there are other avenues you can explore.

See what freebies or extras they are prepared to through in for a start.

Unless the bike is unique or the last model in the country, the dealer knows you can buy elsewhere, so even if there is a strict retail price maintenance policy by the manufacturer, you can bypass that by asking for other stuff.

For the cbr 150, should be 80 000 b with registration and 3 years theft insurance included; 2000 per year. Also should be the new one with dual headlights. If you get the older one, like the photo above, probably can be cheaper.

I think it all depends on the dealer and the situation. I went to several dealers to get a CBR 150, two big didn't have them in stock but could order them with a 6 week wait. They weren't offering any discounts or freebies.

I walked into the showroom that had the bike and asked "how much is the bike ?" - 82000B and ended up paying 87,000B or 88,000B - I payed extra for 2 years theft, and there was some charge for plate/book/por-a-bor. Pay it or wait a Thai 6 weeks, "cumming soon mister"

TBH .. I would advise the OP against buying a new one, really a 150 is just a wave with sport handlebars, after a year you will be painfully bored with the speed and be the proud owner of a bike no one wants to buy.

Everyone told me these things before I bought it, I said exactly the same as the OP, now I have a 150cc that's not worth selling and bought a 650cc 18 months later.

A month ago I was selling an immaculate one for 60k, I'm back on it as its so cheap to run.

For Bkk I d guess its standard for most dealers: registration and insurance prices. I said 80000. When u add registration 2000 and the insurance 2000 per year It gets to 88000. In your case 82 000 + (around) 2000 registration and 4000 for the 2 years insurance. = 88000.

I d also advise buying bigger one if possible , and not the 150.

(Sorry, I replied before you corrected yourself... Ignore this post) From what I could find, the newer CBR with dual headlights isn't available in Thailand yet. Even the official Honda CBR Thailand website only shows the single headlight model. http://www.aphonda.co.th/product/allnew_cbr_150r/

Archived