Can you haggle when buying a new sport bike?

When buying a new car, you obviously HAVE to haggle the price down or you'll get ripped off. What about buying a brand new motorcycle (sport bike) in Thailand? I went to the Yamaha dealership and asked the price, and they said 86,000 baht. I went to another Yamaha dealership and they said 86,000 also. Could this be the actual price with no room for negotiating? I've never bought a new motorcycle in Thailand so I have no idea. When buying cars in my country they were quick to start knocking the price down, but the Yamaha dealership just said 86,000 and that was it, so I really don't know. I'm going back tomorrow but I wanted to ask here first.

As far as I know, there is no haggling. The price is the price. I shopped four dealerships before I bought my bike. All quoted me the same price. As a "bonus" (and I use the term loosely), I received two years of free theft insurance.

There's not much haggling over the price of a new car either. You may be able to negotiate a few extras like floor mats, reverse sensors etc, but the price is pretty much fixed unless it's an advertised discount as on run out models.

As far as I know, there is no haggling. The price is the price. I shopped four dealerships before I bought my bike. All quoted me the same price. As a "bonus" (and I use the term loosely), I received two years of free theft insurance.

Just wondering, did you pay cash or did you get a loan? My Thai friend is saying if you pay cash they'll bring the price down.

My Thai friend is saying if you pay cash they'll bring the price down.

I didn't notice that. The price was the price. The dealers automatically assumed I would pay cash. Of course, you will pay less in the long term if you pay cash LOL

Just wondering, did you pay cash or did you get a loan? My Thai friend is saying if you pay cash they'll bring the price down.

Quite unlikely.

As general rules:

* If they sale a bike (or a car) + a loan they'll generate better profit and commissions.

* You'd get straight discounts on discontinued or "not so trendy" models (especially on models they have on their books).

* Negotiation should be based on accessories, insurance, service, etc.

* Shop around and don't be stuck on 1 brand, 1 model.

* Be prepared to spend some time @ the dealership when you run the "final" negotiation (1hour, 2 hours) and be ready to walk away.

You have to TRY and get a better price than what they ask,that's what i do,

like they say everything is negotiable,only a mug would pay the asking price,

don't be aggressive about it, use banter ,be friendly smile a lot,it cost you nothing

to try.

regards worgeordie

don't be aggressive about it, use banter ,be friendly smile a lot,it cost you nothing

to try.

regards worgeordie

Did you ever manage to get a better price?

To the OP, forget about haggling. It's just not worth the effort. I spent over 1.5 million baht with Real Motosports in the space of two months and the only extras I ever received were free rim stickers, a set of enduro gear (shirt and pants) and a free tank pad. But that's only because they know I'm a big spender at their shop.

Just pay the asking price and you can then shout at them if the service is less than satisfactory.

What sports bike can you get for 86.000 baht, that is quite cheap alreadywink.png

I agree with others, no you can't get the price down.

I don't think they like cash buyers as well, it's much better for them if they get 2% per month in interest of the outstanding amount.

Also with cars, the very popular ones with a waiting list, no freebies but an old model they are desperate to sell they might give you 1 year 1st class insurance for free +window film-mats and more.

I know in Kawa big bike shops they give 1 year free 1st class on Er6 this year and when I asked about my new Kawa Versys 650; the answer was no but I got a 2000 baht voucher to spend in their shop.

There is NO LAW AGAINST HAGGLING.

If you don't even try to push the price down, they take you for being a slow-learner.

If you can't get them to budge on PRICE, go for all the EXTRA FRUIT.

If they still won't come to the party, just smile and slowly start to walk away. Chances are they'll NEGOTIATE, unless they think your name is Obama, in which case they know they've got you by the ...things.

Never gotten anyone to budge on the price of bike or car. But I can tell you, the number of options you can get a dealer to throw in free can be both substantial and negotiable. It's worth shopping around for that.

When I bought my last car, the Toyota dealer wouldn't throw in anything. I went to a different province and got 20,000 baht in "free" options.

The answer is not really, but you should ask for free Insurance ( theft and compulsory ), free plate, jacket, helmet, gloves, tank of juice, voucher for something .. Usually you end up with a dog bowl helmet, and a dealership over-jacket when maybe they dealership had proper matching jackets and lids for your bike ( and sold them )

You are looking at a R15 right ? I bought a new CBR 150 a few years back, most shops don't even want to sell them to us. They don't make enough profit as westerners pay cash. They would rather increase their profit by selling them on finance to some local over some stupid length of time.

I also have the reverse now when trying to sell it on, it's immaculate, low mileage, and a good deal - no one can afford to buy it - even though they were saving 30k+ on an 18 month old bike. I had TEFL teachers telling me the resale value was the same as a Honda wave.

Well, lets see. From the dealer at Niyom Panach in Chiang Mai, I've bought 3 CBR's, 2 PCX, 1 Scoopy, and 1 AirBlade over a 5 year period. And not once, on any of those bikes, was I able to get a discount. However, me being one of their most frequent customers, I do get tons of freebies now. Good helmets, not junk ones, nice backpacks, "fanny packs", gloves, etc. Oh, and when I take a bike in for service or maintenance, they move me to the head of the line.

From what I understand, prices are set by the factory, and the dealers aren't allowed to haggle or discount. For Honda bikes, the only way to get a cheaper price is to go down closer to BKK and buy one, then drive it back. Both Kawasaki and Yamaha have told me that the dealers don't set the prices, the factory does, and they have no options on it.

Whenever I have bought a bike or car here there has only been one fixed price, the same at all dealers. The only thing to haggle over is what options or insurance they will include in the price, but the price remains fixed.

Whether this situation will remain with a sliding economy is anyone's guess, but it did not change after the 1997 crash.

I've bought quite a few bikes from Myton Honda on Pattaya Klang and I have managed to get a few thousand baht off but not much.. If you really want to get some money off I would suggest checking with some of the small towns around Pattaya where you might be able to find a deal. Also.. most dealers will deliver the bike at no additional cost.

Kurt

You have to weigh the price you may save against the time you spend shopping. If you are retired and have an abundance of time, by all means shop. I've a retired friend who saved 4k baht on a mid-level Honda after spending about a week of going to various shops. If you are pressed for time, you'll do better spending less time and get several quotes then go for it. The margin of profit is quite small in this highly competitive market, so prices will generally be about the same.

And keep in mind, the very SECOND you drive the bike off the lot, that model will go on sale about a block away from where you bought it. You will see the sign as you drive on by. One of Murphy's Universal Laws.

I bought a Honda wave once from the local Yamaha dealer and at the end of our negotiations we were haggling over 50thb a month for the finance. I was hung over and was not expecting to buy a bike, I was just picking up my friend that had his bike serviced there, the truth is as it has been said here, they do not make much profit on cash sales, on finance they make a lot, A LOT more, so why budge on the price. Just ask for a helmet, water heater or fan, free insurance and then be on your way. The less time spent in the dealership is more time spent riding and having fun.

Resale it is hard to ask a high price for any bike as long as the dealership offers silly down payments... Why buy second hand when you can buy new for less, yes you pay more in the end but it is a new bike and the monthly costs you don't care about... Well, the Thais think like that- just as some of us westerners do....

Example. I am going to buy a new bike, locally a guy is selling his cbr250, clean and neat, 65000... Just for fun and out of boredom I went to Kawasaki yesterday, they were going to throw me a z800 after a small deposit of 55000, and 7200 a month... Needless to say, I am no longer bothering to look at the cbr, I am now trying to justify to myself and my gf on why I need a z800 when I am only in Thailand 4-6 months a year...

If there is NO PRE-PAYMENT PENLTY and check with a lawyer if you can't read thai

Then sign up for the High Interest Loan get the free goodies,Helment shirts,gloves and Lower Price

Then pay off in a couple of weeks.

to try.

regards worgeordie

Did you ever manage to get a better price?

To the OP, forget about haggling. It's just not worth the effort. I spent over 1.5 million baht with Real Motosports in the space of two months and the only extras I ever received were free rim stickers, a set of enduro gear (shirt and pants) and a free tank pad. But that's only because they know I'm a big spender at their shop.

Just pay the asking price and you can then shout at them if the service is less than satisfactory.

What,no boots included?

post-224886-0-17055200-1433560051_thumb.

Not quite true in my experience. When I was looking at dealers and prices for a new 150 PCX, in CM, a couple years ago I read that one could enter into negotiations by asking for a reduced price if they would take off the "free" fake leather jacket and ? helmet? if I remember right. When I went to the Chiang Mai Gate Motorcycle shop the jao kong quoted the same price as I had been told elsewhere and then I asked her what if we left out the jacket and the other thing and she immediately dropped the price by 3 or 4,000Bt. O.K. I wanted it. Then her son took over and he jacked the price back up. I told him we had already agreed on the other price and he said that was without the insurance. I told him the insurance came with the bike - paid for by Honda and he said that was the ordinary insurance - but that I had to have the extra theft insurance.

Since I wanted the bike I went along. But he wasn't through. I had to pay extra to them to get the Green Book for the bike, which is also legally their responsibility. And after they stalled on it for weeks - telling me to come in Saturday when they were not so busy or something - and then the guy who does that was not there Saturday... and of course finally I had to go to the government office myself to get the Green Book anyway.

Point is that the price is not 100% firm. If you shop around to find a relatively honest dealer your final price could be a lttle more favorable.

If there is NO PRE-PAYMENT PENLTY and check with a lawyer if you can't read thai

Then sign up for the High Interest Loan get the free goodies,Helment shirts,gloves and Lower Price

Then pay off in a couple of weeks.

You will have to pay the full interest on the loan whenever you pay it off. So that idea doesn't work.

Once you have a loan you pay the same amount if you pay in 1 week or 2 years.

You have to TRY and get a better price

I did try. Didn't work, but I did try LOL

+1,,,,Didn't work for me when buying a Honda Click. I did get 2 cheap helmets.

LOL in addition to my theft insurance, I got one cheap bowl helmet, a somewhat decent helmet, and a riding jacket. But all that is for naught. I have the bike I wanted and it's in the driveway. The "freebies" are for if I have a passenger.

Yes you can,I have bought 4 bikes over time.and haggled anything upto 6k, go to another town, what sort of sports bike u gonna get for 86k, buying a cbr 500 at 210k got a sports muffler thrown in valued at 25k, so yes u can haggle.

Discounts are a tough grind if you are a farang who wants to buy now, now, now. Extra bells

and whistles is easier to grind out. Keep things light and friendly and always be ready to walk. wink.png

Archived