Trekking In Thailand (near Chiang Mai)

ActiveZeus

You can book at pretty much any travel agency in CM. I booked one that went to 2 hill trribes, elephant ride, and a bamboo river raft. It was a tame river rafting experience and a lame hill tribe experience. The hill tribe thing was actually depressing -people zoo type vibe. I'll never do that again. Otherwise it was good to do it all in 1 day.

I've done trekking in CM and thought the same, like a human zoo. I think it would have been good to do it 10 years ago but now it's old hat.

I just got back from a trip to Myanmar and did a day trek, although they do offer 2 or 3 day trek and was so much better. Less tourists and a got a real feel of the place. Just thought it's worth a mention! Next time your over here, consider a trip to Myanmar if you like trekking!

I'm also planning on doing some trekking in Lao next month so will keep you up-posted!

you will do much better to go out to Soppong (Pang Mapha) and stay at Cave Lodge. These guys run great treks and go into some really lovely villages. They are very up on the impacts that these trips have on the local people and are a respectful company.

I highly recommend them. and cave lodge is a fantastic place to stay.

Agree with Donna; get out of Chiang Mai first and then do a trek. I have also heard that treks from Soppong are good.

The trek I went on back in '98 from Chiang Mai was a bit farcical, with the tour operator saying they take you right out the way and near the Burma border etc. In reality, we drove for two hours so just outside CM and it was all very rehearsed, although a good laugh.

you will do much better to go out to Soppong (Pang Mapha) and stay at Cave Lodge. These guys run great treks and go into some really lovely villages. They are very up on the impacts that these trips have on the local people and are a respectful company.

I highly recommend them. and cave lodge is a fantastic place to stay.

Hello :D

Will be in CM this Friday. First trip down :D i've already booked my stay at the Paddy Field Hotel, so no worries about accom. Bt I was looking forward to a good trek. It's quite sad how tourists can sometimes spell the demise of some cultures... :o

I would definitely like to check our Cave Lodge for their treks, since you mentioned they are respectful of the tribe's culture and the people :D

Can you tell me how to get to Cave Lodge from CM town? Are there any buses I can take?

Pooch

If you do a day trek it will be a bit "zoo" like as you basicly just go to the more touristy and accsesible places. I did one from Chiang Dao Nest in Chiang Dao a year or so ago and it was very good about 50km north of Chaing Mai

Totally agree :o I've set aside 3 days from my trip to try out the trekking.

Pooch

It used to be good from Chiang Rai as well. If possible: Don´t go in a group. Get your own guide. Tell him what you expect. And take at least three days, better five. Then you have a chance to get into the right areas.

Edited by HeikoJT