Govt expects an upgrade for TIP, fishing crackdowns

Lite Beer

Govt expects an upgrade for TIP, fishing crackdowns
THE NATION

30261765-01_big.jpg?1433543850759

BANGKOK: -- THE GOVERNMENT anticipates receiving upgrades for two key international rankings on human trafficking after its sustainable crackdown - but the public should not get its hopes up, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday.

"It's up to the United States and the European Union on whether they are going to upgrade Thailand. It's their sole decision, and do not be overly anxious over the issue," he told reporters at Government House.

All the government can do is make sure the issue is being tackled and objectives are being achieved, he said.

Meanwhile, a member of the Lawyers' Council of Thailand panel, Surapong Kongchanthuk, revealed a list of people in a case as takers of bribes including a reporter, apart from police from various units. "This is why human trafficking still operates and exists," he said.

This list, extracted from a large pile of documents and secret lists, details monthly bribes of Bt12,000 to a non-commissioned officer of the Immigration Bureau, Bt7,000 to a district Immigration officer, payment of Bt12,000 to two Crime Suppression Division officers, just Bt1,000 to a Special Branch officer, Bt6,000 to a detective at a Provincial Police Region, Bt3,000 to a police lieutenant Bt2,000 to the reporter.

Last year, the US State Department relegated Thailand in its lowest tier in the annual Trafficking In Persons (TIP) report while the EU downgraded Thailand in its Illegal, Unreported, and Unregulated (IUU) Fishing ranking over the abuse of migrant fishermen on trawler crews and widespread use of trafficked labour.

As a result, Thailand's seafood exports to the US and UK have been restricted - a huge financial blow to the industry and the country's economy.

"We cannot force the US State Department to unlock Thailand from the lowly Tier-3. This has happened to many countries, and the period to unlock varies from six months to one year. It's up to them," the PM said.

Prayut said the situation with the IUU ranking was similar to the TIP scenario, except the IUU conditions required new legislation to cope with various issues in a more rounded manner.

Tighter enforcement of existing regulations covering the fishery industry, including the operation of fishing trawlers, was needed to deal with the IUU situation, he said.

Drastic government action was needed to solve all the problems at the root causes.

"Drastic action does stir up hardship, but I am pleading and asking, Are we going to let the country run in the same old ways?" he said.

Interior Ministry permanent secretary Wiboon Sa-nguanpong said a national centre had been set up to act on human trafficking and abuse of fishermen, mostly migrants, in the fishing industry.

He said local one-stop-service centres had also been set up in all 22 coastal provinces along with 28 centres charged with monitoring the inbound and outbound movement of all Thai-registered fishing trawlers.

All civilian authorities in the 22 provinces have been instructed to work with the centres in those provinces, while the registration of all migrant crewmembers is ongoing and expected to be complete by June 30, Wiboon said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Govt-expects-an-upgrade-for-TIP-fishing-crackdowns-30261765.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-06

"We can not force the US State Department to unlock Thailand from the lowly Tier-3. This has happened in many countries, and the period to unlock varies from

six months to one year. It's up to them," the PM said

No General it's up to you and your government.

The General's government has just admitted that it will not be able to meet the generous 6 month deadline to stop the illegal Thai fishery activity. Nor has the government really done much on the human trafficking issue. What we have seen to date is the result of foreign country intervention. If the General thinks he should be rewarded for cleaning up some dead bodies and for acting on obvious evidence hand delivered by foreign countries, he needs a wake up call.

"We can not force the US State Department to unlock Thailand from the lowly Tier-3. This has happened in many countries, and the period to unlock varies from

six months to one year. It's up to them," the PM said

No General it's up to you and your government.

Thainess means blame others (U.S. decision and migrant slaves responsible for their own fate) and the only tackling being done is when the slaves try to run away.

Thai crackdown on human slaves and trafficking in the fishery industry is merely a charade. No Thai big men busts, no Thai bankers busted, no Thai fishery industry execs busted. How can anyone take Thais seriously?

The General's government has just admitted that it will not be able to meet the generous 6 month deadline to stop the illegal Thai fishery activity. Nor has the government really done much on the human trafficking issue. What we have seen to date is the result of foreign country intervention. If the General thinks he should be rewarded for cleaning up some dead bodies and for acting on obvious evidence hand delivered by foreign countries, he needs a wake up call.

I don't think they can do the fishing thing in time, but I don't blame them the inactivity of previous governments has cost them dearly. You can't blame them for the stuff the previous governments (believe the PTP was in power most of the time) have done.

As for the human trafficking thing.. there you can blame them a bit more because army was involved (at least a general), but again what have previous governments done.

I bet you changed jobs in the past and got to live with the errors of the guy who did the work for you. I never got blamed for them by the people who knew, only the uninformed did.

I always thought you were a smart guy.. guess you dumb down when it is needed to suit your views.

But your right in one point.. far more has to be done.. but already far more has been done then by any of the previous (mostly PTP) governments.

In a way the previous government was busy with human trafficking.. trying to get Thaksin back int he country cheesy.gif That is the reason we have a junta now.

I don't think they can do the fishing thing in time, but I don't blame them the inactivity of previous governments has cost them dearly. You can't blame them for the stuff the previous governments (believe the PTP was in power most of the time) have done.

As for the human trafficking thing.. there you can blame them a bit more because army was involved (at least a general), but again what have previous governments done.

I bet you changed jobs in the past and got to live with the errors of the guy who did the work for you. I never got blamed for them by the people who knew, only the uninformed did.

I always thought you were a smart guy.. guess you dumb down when it is needed to suit your views.

But your right in one point.. far more has to be done.. but already far more has been done then by any of the previous (mostly PTP) governments.

In a way the previous government was busy with human trafficking.. trying to get Thaksin back int he country cheesy.gif That is the reason we have a junta now.

In case you forget, the current General/PM was aware of the military involvement in trafficking for several years. Do you remember the scandal of 2013 and the senior officers implicated? The General/PM had even said there would be an inquiry into the activity, and a crackdown. (It never happened.)

In respect to the illegal fishing activity, it has been an issue since the 1990's. Two of the big issues were: the activity in the Indian ocean and off the coast of Somalia. This isn't about the PTP, or Democrats, or multiple military juntas who have ruled Thailand. Rather, it was that the small group of owners of the Thai fishing fleets had so much influence that they could do as they wished, and that successive Thai governments adopted the position that they could do as they pleased because the law of the Sea Treaty did not apply to Thai activities.

If anyone wants to be disgusted, read Thailand's response to the international action taken against Thailand. It's an eye opener in respect to the brazen arrogant position that Thailand had. Read this and you will understand why Thailand is its own worst enemy. Thainess on display.

https://www.itlos.org/fileadmin/itlos/documents/cases/case_no.21/written_statements_round2/21_II-5_Thailand.pdf

On these issues the Thai government is behaving exactly as common Thai criminals.

When the Junta arrived they gave notice to those involved in land encroachment, illegal beach vendors, corrupt officials etc etc.

Did any of these crooks even blink over the government threats or did they carry on business as usual, warnings ignored deadlines expired but still they continued. They were only stopped when force was used, some even demanded their right to continue breaking the law.

There can be no change in the status for the TIP as quite simply no effective action has been taken, had it not been for the discovery and international media coverage of the slave camps this crime would no doubt be continuing.

As for slavery in the fishing industry, time for strict and effective sanctions now, no more talk from the EU or the US.

Enjoying cheap products delivered off the backs of the exploited makes us all complicit.

The Thaitanic is just setting out to sea and looks like it's going to hit the economic icebergs regardless because it's out of dear leaders control

Good thing Chinese like seafood, unless, oh wait, they are a seafood exporter... Oh noes what to do...

http://www.seafoodsource.com/news/supply-trade/27517-china-targets-asean-to-sustain-seafood-export-growth

In case you forget, the current General/PM was aware of the military involvement in trafficking for several years. Do you remember the scandal of 2013 and the senior officers implicated? The General/PM had even said there would be an inquiry into the activity, and a crackdown. (It never happened.)

In respect to the illegal fishing activity, it has been an issue since the 1990's. Two of the big issues were: the activity in the Indian ocean and off the coast of Somalia. This isn't about the PTP, or Democrats, or multiple military juntas who have ruled Thailand. Rather, it was that the small group of owners of the Thai fishing fleets had so much influence that they could do as they wished, and that successive Thai governments adopted the position that they could do as they pleased because the law of the Sea Treaty did not apply to Thai activities.

If anyone wants to be disgusted, read Thailand's response to the international action taken against Thailand. It's an eye opener in respect to the brazen arrogant position that Thailand had. Read this and you will understand why Thailand is its own worst enemy. Thainess on display.

https://www.itlos.org/fileadmin/itlos/documents/cases/case_no.21/written_statements_round2/21_II-5_Thailand.pdf

So you agree its not the generals doing.. and not the Junta's fault but that of previous governments ?

Good then we agree.

They can't solve this that fast.. and I am for the EU punishment, just against blaming the junta for problems they have gotten from others.

All the previous governments ?

Would that included all the previous military coup-led governments as well whose rule in the aggregate was longer than any democratic elected regime? Those coup-led governments who gave themselves absolute powers to do whatever they wanted according to whatever priorities they decided. No legislative body, no courts, nor public opinion to deter their actions.

But somehow human trafficking wasn't enough serious priority for the military as it was not in the beginning for Prayut's reign. From their performance I'd say the military has had no better success as any elected government.

"All the government can do is make sure the issue is being tackled and objectives are being achieved, he said."

If real action was taken in a responsible fashion then the yellow card would be pulled. If this was an issue the PM REALLY wanted to make happen, then wouldn't he go all Article 44 on it? This is a real no brainer - don't use slaves on fishing boats.

Or could it be that there are powerful people pulling the strings on a puppet and, in effect, blocking real reform because it would disrupt the flow of money into the puppet masters' pockets?

All the previous governments ?

Would that included all the previous military coup-led governments as well whose rule in the aggregate was longer than any democratic elected regime? Those coup-led governments who gave themselves absolute powers to do whatever they wanted according to whatever priorities they decided. No legislative body, no courts, nor public opinion to deter their actions.

But somehow human trafficking wasn't enough serious priority for the military as it was not in the beginning for Prayut's reign. From their performance I'd say the military has had no better success as any elected government.

Of course also the Democrats for their small term in recent times. But of course main blame goes to those longest in power.

So you agree its not the generals doing.. and not the Junta's fault but that of previous governments ?

Good then we agree.

They can't solve this that fast.. and I am for the EU punishment, just against blaming the junta for problems they have gotten from others.

The human trafficking rests entirely with the military as the problem has been out in the open since 2013 and military officers have long been implicated. In respect to the illegal fishing, the military administration is now responsible since it is the government in power. Just as you would have held the Yingluck government responsible when the legal actions against Thailand started in 2013. The military was aware that the EU was going to take action almost a year ago and did nothing.

I suggest you look at who controls Thailand's fishing fleets and then look at the dotted relationship lines to the military and those who have supported military coups in the past. The fish processors and fleet owners are wealthy and powerful members of the special ruling class. They have not been, nor have ever been aligned with reformers in Thailand, nor with the Thaksin faction. They have been untouchable because of who they were.