BKK Airport Apologizes for Searching Muslim Cleric's Turban

Lite Beer

“In the end we shall have had enough of cynicism, skepticism and humbug, and we shall want to live more musically.”

Vincent van Gogh

Interesting quote of someone who intentionally severed his own ear.

After reading some of the more islamaphobic posts on this thread I know how he felt.

Phobia or prudent caution, it seems to me Vincent and many clerics have something in common.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“In the end we shall have had enough of cynicism, skepticism and humbug, and we shall want to live more musically.”

Vincent van Gogh

Interesting quote of someone who intentionally severed his own ear.

After reading some of the more islamaphobic posts on this thread I know how he felt.

Phobia or prudent caution, it seems to me Vincent and many clerics have something in common.

No, just phobia.

No, just phobia.

I don’t think so. Not when the stakes are so high and the threat so real and ongoing.

I don’t see phobia on this thread, just people with an understandable desire for security when they fly.

No, just phobia.

I dont think so. Not when the stakes are so high and the threat so real and ongoing.

I dont see phobia on this thread, just people with an understandable desire for security when they fly.

Never said their shouldn't be searches or scanning. All in favour my self.

The man at the centre of this story never complained about it either.

The post of mine you are responding to was about prejudicial thinking not security.

No, just phobia.

I dont think so. Not when the stakes are so high and the threat so real and ongoing.

I dont see phobia on this thread, just people with an understandable desire for security when they fly.

The post of mine you are responding to was about prejudicial thinking not security.

I see that the Moderators have removed some posts on this thread. I missed those, but have read all that remain. My take is that people are indignant because of the apology, not because of anything said by the cleric at the center of this story. Airport security passing a hand held metal detector wand over any part of a person or their attire, in my opinion, does not call for an apology, regardless of who the person being screened is. I believe the cleric has said much the same. I imagine that someone who has lost a loved one in a terrorist attack could find the apology made in this case insulting.

Edited by xray

No, just phobia.

I see that the Moderators have removed some posts on this thread. I missed those, but have read all that remain. My take is that people are indignant because of the apology, not because of anything said by the cleric at the center of this story. Airport security passing a hand held metal detector wand over any part of a person or their attire, in my opinion, does not call for an apology, regardless of who the person being screened is. I believe the cleric has said much the same. I imagine that someone who has lost a loved one in a terrorist attack could find the apology made in this case insulting.

None the less that does not justify the hate posts that were made and then removed on this thread.

Hate isn't going to end violence and bigotry.

Its just over-reaction by some people who will always play the victim card even if there is no victim in sight. The gentleman in the OP actually saw nothing wrong with the scan, and even distanced himself from the 'professionally offended' crowd.

I actually love going through the scans, because I have metal peg/sockets in my hips and shoulders, so I get the extra loud terror alarms whenever I fly. I always tell them before the scan, I say that I've got huge amounts of metal inside me, and they still *always* ask me to remove my belt buckle and watch anyway. I used to ask them seriously why, but now I just grin roguishly at them and then set off all their red alert sirens lol.

None the less that does not justify the hate posts that were made and then removed on this thread.

I'm not sure about that; having a loved one murdered by a terrorist might in fact justify a 'hate post' (possibly considerable leniency in a court of law). Better to 'vent' that way than doing physical harm to an innocent person. In any event, I agree that all hate posts should be removed from a public forum. In addition to poisoning the discussion, they are most likely to hurt those that don't deserve it.

Phobia, always defined as being an irrational fear, is not the same thing as prejudice, which can be favorable or unfavorable. Rational unfavorable prejudice can be a healthy thing to have ("prudent caution"), and on a thread like this would speak to self-preservation.

Sorry, but there should be NO exceptions to searches for security, especially if it was just a non-invasive metal detector. If one has strong religious or personal convictions or reasons, then my hat is off to you (no pun intended), but you should then be prepared to accept the consequences of not being able to fly if you object to and refuse to a routine passive non-invasive search.

I'm not sure about that; having a loved one murdered by a terrorist might in fact justify a 'hate post' (possibly considerable leniency in a court of law). Better to 'vent' that way than doing physical harm to an innocent person. In any event, I agree that all hate posts should be removed from a public forum. In addition to poisoning the discussion, they are most likely to hurt those that don't deserve it.

Phobia, always defined as being an irrational fear, is not the same thing as prejudice, which can be favorable or unfavorable. Rational unfavorable prejudice can be a healthy thing to have ("prudent caution"), and on a thread like this would speak to self-preservation.

The hate posts were based on islamaphobia and prejudice. No one mentioned loss, just hate. To judge all muslims by the actions of a few is indeed irrational.

Edited by Bluespunk

Sorry, but there should be NO exceptions to searches for security, especially if it was just a non-invasive metal detector. If one has strong religious or personal convictions or reasons, then my hat is off to you (no pun intended), but you should then be prepared to accept the consequences of not being able to fly if you object to and refuse to a routine passive non-invasive search.

Exactly how that man at the centre of this story feels.

The hate posts were based on islamaphobia and prejudice. No one mentioned loss, just hate. To judge all muslims by the actions of a few is indeed irrational.

There is no way to know what experience has caused someone to make a 'hate post', unless they state the reason. Because someone doesn't mention their specific loss in such a post doesn't mean they haven't suffered one.

It is not all Muslims that are being judged, it is understood that most Muslims will never commit a terrorist act. Deadly and recurring violence from more than a few Muslims, has given rise to unfavorable prejudice against Muslims that are in a position to do harm, such as those we share our airplane flights with. This is not an irrational response; Muslim terrorists have murdered thousands of innocent people worldwide. To not have some type of unfavorable pre-judgment (prejudice) would be irrational.

As an analogy, Women know that most men are decent, but they also know that some are dangerous and will do them harm. If a woman finds herself in a vulnerable situation, where a man could do her harm, a healthy unfavorable prejudice (prudent caution) would be rational.

There is no way to know what experience has caused someone to make a 'hate post', unless they state the reason. Because someone doesn't mention their specific loss in such a post doesn't mean they haven't suffered one.

It is not all Muslims that are being judged, it is understood that most Muslims will never commit a terrorist act. Deadly and recurring violence from more than a few Muslims, has given rise to unfavorable prejudice against Muslims that are in a position to do harm, such as those we share our airplane flights with. This is not an irrational response; Muslim terrorists have murdered thousands of innocent people worldwide. To not have some type of unfavorable pre-judgment (prejudice) would be irrational.

As an analogy, Women know that most men are decent, but they also know that some are dangerous and will do them harm. If a woman finds herself in a vulnerable situation, where a man could do her harm, a healthy unfavorable prejudice (prudent caution) would be rational.

The hate posts made absolutely no differentiation but rather spewed their hate of Islam and all those who follow it.

That is Islamaphobia.

Edited by Bluespunk

No, just phobia.

Don't tell us ,tell it to the Muslims,they have it in spades

Answer to Bluepunk Well you can hardly blame them can you? especially after all the things that have happened in the last 20 years.

You mean the Bosnian conflict?

http://www.ppu.org.uk/genocide/g_bosnia.html

A small part of it. you know full well. I think you are trying to stir things up.

As are you.

I merely responded to show that religious violence, intolerance, bigotry and prejudice is not the preserve of any one faith.

The religiously intolerant will always hate.

That does not mean all feel or act as they do.

Edited by Bluespunk

No, just phobia.

Don't tell us ,tell it to the Muslims,they have it in spades

Everyone needs to be told. Prejudice and intolerance isn't unique to any one faith.

Answer to Bluepunk Well you can hardly blame them can you? especially after all the things that have happened in the last 20 years.

You mean the Bosnian conflict?

http://www.ppu.org.uk/genocide/g_bosnia.html

A small part of it. you know full well. I think you are trying to stir things up.

As are you.

I merely responded to show that religious violence, intolerance, bigotry and prejudice is not the preserve of any one faith.

You are trying to wind up the wrong person heresmile.png I am in no way religious, But carry on.The last secretary i had ( when i was working )

came into the office one day,wearing a badge,It said I belong to Gods victorious army, I said who is that Liverpool?

As are you.

You are trying to wind up the wrong person heresmile.png I am in no way religious, But carry on.The last secretary i had ( when i was working )

came into the office one day,wearing a badge,It said I belong to Gods victorious army, I said who is that Liverpool?

I'm not winding anyone up intentionally.

I despise bigots and those who would condemn a faith because of the actions of a few.

However I'm an atheist and do not support or care particularly about any faith.

However I could be wrong as I believe I once saw god.

He was called Robbie Fowler I believe.

Edited by Bluespunk

As are you.

I'm an atheist.

However I could be wrong as I believe I once saw god.

He was called Robbie Fowler I believe.

nice one Cyril

The hate posts made absolutely no differentiation but rather spewed their hate of Islam and all those who follow it.

That is Islamaphobia.

I still haven't seen a hate post on this thread; I guess the moderators have been doing a good job of removing them as they appear. The posts that remain look for the most part rational to me.

That is Islamaphobia.

I still haven't seen a hate post on this thread; I guess the moderators have been doing a good job of removing them as they appear. The posts that remain look for the most part rational to me.

No idea if they are still there or not.

There were plenty that reflected the prejudice and intolerance some feel towards Muslims.

As I say, islamaphobic, fuelled by the lies that bigots want everyone to believe not rationality.

Knee jerk "they're all the same" comments is as far from rational as it gets.

Irrational in effect.

Edited by Bluespunk

That is Islamaphobia.

There were plenty that reflected the prejudice and intolerance some feel towards Muslims.

As I say, islamaphobic, fuelled by the lies that bigots want everyone to believe not rationality.

Irrational in effect.

I don't know why you would be so surprised to find islamaphobia in today's world. I was surprised by the lack of it on this thread.

‘Islamaphobia’ and ‘hate’ is not the same thing and should not be misconstrued as such.

Phobia is an irrational fear. Islamaphobia is an irrational fear of Islam, but it does not necessarily go hand in hand with hate. A person can have a rational fear, or an irrational fear of being murdered by Muslims, but at the same time have no hate towards Muslims.

That is Islamaphobia.

Irrational in effect.

I don't know why you would be so surprised to find islamaphobia in today's world. I was surprised by the lack of it on this thread.

‘Islamaphobia’ and ‘hate’ is not the same thing and should not be misconstrued as such.

Phobia is an irrational fear. Islamaphobia is an irrational fear of Islam, but it does not necessarily go hand in hand with hate. A person can have a rational fear, or an irrational fear of being murdered by Muslims, but at the same time have no hate towards Muslims.

Promoting the type of lies that lead to Islamaphobia/antisemitism/or any form of religious intolerance is creating hate and bigotry.

On all sides.

Never said I was surprised to find it.

Just I despise the bigots who spread it.

Edited by Bluespunk

Promoting the type of lies that lead to Islamaphobia/antisemitism/or any form of religious intolerance is creating hate and bigotry.

On all sides.

It is not lies which are leading to Islamaphobia; what leads to Islamaphobia are terrorist attacks perpetrated by Muslims which have caused the deaths of thousands of innocent people worldwide, and the factual news reports of these terrorist attacks.

Muslim terrorists highjacking commercial jets and flying them into buildings causes Islamaphobia. Islamaphobia is caused when Muslim terrorists attack tourist busses in Egypt with machine guns and blow up buildings in East Africa. Islamaphobia is caused when Muslims attack a shopping mall, killing as many innocent shoppers as they can. These are not lies; they are events, which have taken place. If you want to quash Islamaphobia, you should be addressing the Muslims who condone and call for such attacks, rather than the potential targets of the attacks.

Islamaphobia and hate is not the same thing and should not be misconstrued as such.

On all sides.

It is not lies which are leading to Islamaphobia; what leads to Islamaphobia are terrorist attacks perpetrated by Muslims which have caused the deaths of thousands of innocent people worldwide, and the factual news reports of these terrorist attacks.

Muslim terrorists highjacking commercial jets and flying them into buildings causes Islamaphobia. Islamaphobia is caused when Muslim terrorists attack tourist busses in Egypt with machine guns and blow up buildings in East Africa. Islamaphobia is caused when Muslims attack a shopping mall, killing as many innocent shoppers as they can. These are not lies; they are events, which have taken place. If you want to quash Islamaphobia, you should be addressing the Muslims who condone and call for such attacks, rather than the potential targets of the attacks.

Terrorists should be condemned for terrorism as many Islamic scholars and community leaders have done.

It is wrong to blame a faith for the actions of extremists. All faiths have extremists who misrepresent it. Terrorism is not the preserve of any one as those who promote islamaphobic propaganda would have us believe.

Hatred, prejudice, intolerance and bigotry are found amongst all faiths, non faiths and political philosophies.

It is this human capacity for bigotry that we should be concerned about, not any one faith.

Anything else just perpetuates hatred and intolerance amongst different communities and faiths. Which is exactly what terrorists and the extremists who misrepresent their faith desire.

Edited by Bluespunk